Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Art contest calendar and discussion

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

#1 Reccoom Kaboom

Reccoom Kaboom

I'm back! And I brought my back with me!

• Legends
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:Taking old toys and making them new again.
    Staying motivated artisticly, creatively.
    Keeping my XboX360 addiction under controll.
    Putting my surplus M.U.S.C.L.E.s in trades of other toylines.
    Talking like Tom Waits more often.
    Getting that Y/S N*T tattooed big n' bold accross my back.
    Having my dentist build me some new permanent fangs.

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:15 PM

These fan art contests have exceeded all our expectations. I was searching sor a way to raise the prize level to match the quality of the entries. I knocked around a few Ideas, and the one that Johnny, Kevin, and I settled on is the concept of contest 'MERIT BADGES'. These would be one of a kind patches, with logos that match the respective topics. Bragging rights you can wear!

As well as the patches, a change in contest length might be beneficial. A two-month contest, with the next two-month contest starting after the first month, continuing so that there are two different contests going at all times. This way, we could have bigger windows of opprotunity and contest alternatives at the same time.

Locked in Schedule:

Posted Image
So as not to take away from Doc's current claw contest, I designed this image of the claw crushing the L.R.G. initials. its in production and should be ready next week.

Posted Image
Beastformers Re-Animated will run from April 1st to the last day of May. The two Ideas for this contest are making the Battle Beasts imagined as dead animals that are reanimated by cybernetics, or animated versions of BattleBeasts. Patch in production and should be ready next week.

Posted Image
L.R.G. KIDS will run from May 1st to the last day of June. Simple concept: kid versions of L.R.G. charachters. Patch in production and should be ready next week.

Dates not locked:

M.U.S.C.L.E Zombies!
Undead Kinniku charachters, or undead battling kinniku charachters. logo in development.

L.R.G. VS CAPCOM
tag teams! face-offs! free-fer-alls! surprise alliances! logo in development.

Battlebeast Mythologies
Fatasy/Mythical creatures get the Battlebeast treatment. From the Kracken, to the Chupacabra, the the Great Cthulhu, its all open. Logo in development.

L.R.G. VS MOTU
Kinnikus, Beastformers, boglins, and M.I.M.P. invade Eternia! Logo open for development.

ODDBALL
Madballs, Wierdballs, and Boglins. Logo open for development.
Posted Image

#2 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:48 PM

A wonderful Idea Reccoom Kaboom. Very interesting! What a way to get everyone envolved in these contests. I lovet it. The claw patch is awsome. We need a gorimit contest as well. :lol:

WhiteLeo

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#3 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:07 AM

i dont like the 2 month window at all... seems too long for my taste. if it was up to me a contest every week. short and sweet.

#4 Reccoom Kaboom

Reccoom Kaboom

• Legends
  • 917 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:16 PM

i dont like the 2 month window at all... seems too long for my taste. if it was up to me a contest every week. short and sweet.

Part of my reasoning for the two-month window, aside from giving more people a chance to enter, is to ease the expense of the prizes and the new patches (which cost between 15 and 20 to produce) on Johnny and whoever else is offering them. Patch and prize every week would get very expensive very quickly, with far fewer entries per prize.

If there are more who are against the two-month idea tho, we can definately keep the one-month format.
Posted Image

#5 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 06:28 PM

I love everything about this, including the 2 month schedule. With the overlapping of 2 of these two-monthers going simultaneously, plus the ongoing Fan Art Challenges, you've got 3 art contests a month you could participate in. That's a new picture every 10 days.

#6 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:05 PM

Am I the only one that doesn't understand any of this? ;)

Posted Image

#7 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 23 March 2008 - 08:43 PM

I completely love the idea of an overlapping two-month contest. Right now i am completely barren on ideas for the claw contest, and i know that at some point when i get through some of my other work a great claw-based idea or two is going to smack me in the face. ;)

So two contests running at any time would really be cool as far as allowing a choice of what to work on as inspiration dictates. I know that two months is a long time Eric, but you can feel free to continue to put up a badass entry fifteen minutes out of the gate. ;)

I also love the contest ideas that are laid out here, and i'm really looking forward to a lot of them. Especially stuff like the crossovers, and the dual meaning of the "Reanimated" contest. There's a whole lot of room for creativity there, should spark a lot of participation.
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#8 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 09:38 PM

From what I understand, these will be the next logical step in the Fan Art Challenge. So one new one starting once a month, thus having two ongoing at any given time, not 3. I think the patches are a killer idea! Unless it turns out that there is a FAC each month and one patch contest every 2 months?

#9 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:28 AM

Am I the only one that doesn't understand any of this? ;)

Okay, so here's my understanding:
  • The new contest format will replace the Fan Art Challenge contests.
  • Each contest will last two months.
  • At the beginning of the second month of the first contest, the next contest will start. So, there will be two contests running at once.
  • The winner of a contest receives both prize money ($10?) and a patch with the logo of the contest.
For example, the first contest, Beastformers Reanimated, runs through April and May. And the next contest, LRG Kids, runs through May and June. So, during May, both contests will be running.

But this means that effectively there will be one contest a month, so you don't have to worry about having fewer contests, Eric.

Is this right? ;)

If so, I'm for the change. I think the patches will be cool, and the "extended length" will give me more time to come up with multiple entries.

#10 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 24 March 2008 - 10:21 AM

Ah.....That makes more sense. Tortle. ;)

Posted Image

#11 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:23 PM

Yeah, makes sense. Love it!

#12 Reccoom Kaboom

Reccoom Kaboom

• Legends
  • 917 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:21 PM

Tortle hit the nail on the head! that is exactly what I'd meant by the two-month idea. Also, if you look at the ideas for the topics, you'll notice that there would always be a specific figure line contest going, and a general L.R.G. contest going. So if you want to draw nothing but Gormiti, the general L.R.G. contests have you covered...

...Oh, and the first three patches are ready!
Posted Image
Not originally what I'd intended, but quickly found out that the '15 each' price I was quoted for Embroidered Patches was extremely lowballed from the actual production cost of 75+ apiece! After having already gotten everything worked up and ready, and after already talking with Johnny Kevin and Doc, there were 2-3 days where it looked like it wasn't going to happen at all. After about 20 or so fervent calls, I went back to the place that gave me the original price quote. They settled on using their t-shirt printer on commercial name badge patches, for slightly more than the original quote. I'm really interested on everyone's thoughts on these.

Edited by Reccoom Kaboom, 24 March 2008 - 03:22 PM.

Posted Image

#13 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:23 PM

Those patches came out really cool!!

#14 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 24 March 2008 - 09:19 PM

I want to win one. :angry:
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#15 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:01 PM

I thought I would through in a design for the Battle Beast Mythology Contest.

WhiteLeo

Attached Files

I will never quit.

#16 Reccoom Kaboom

Reccoom Kaboom

• Legends
  • 917 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 05:15 PM

Looks great. should work very well in the rectangular patch format.
Posted Image

#17 Reccoom Kaboom

Reccoom Kaboom

• Legends
  • 917 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 08:26 PM

Is the two month, overlapping contest format still ok?

or is going back to one month better?

does knowing the contest topics in advance help?

are there any other contest topics that you would like to see?

would anyone else like to try designing some of the patches?

are exclusive custom patches the way to go?

WOULD LOVE EVERYONE'S INPUT ON THESE.
NONE OF THE NEW SETTINGS ARE LOCKED IN (except for the first three patches)

By the way, congrats to Erik for winning the first custom patch!
Posted Image

#18 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:26 PM

Is the two month, overlapping contest format still ok?

I like it.

or is going back to one month better?

No need right now.

does knowing the contest topics in advance help?

So far, yes.

are there any other contest topics that you would like to see?

A variation on the FAC3 theme. That one had the artist create an original character that looked like it could have been part of the Kinnikuman or Beastformer toyline. This time it would be an original character creation by the artist that looks like it could have been part of any toyline other than Kinnikuman or Beastformers. I know everyone here collects other toylines too. This way they could try their hand at any one of their choosing. It would bring in a huge diversity in characters and hopefully more artists.

would anyone else like to try designing some of the patches?

I think I'd like to try one.

are exclusive custom patches the way to go?

They are pretty cool, in my opinion.

#19 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 10:46 PM

I like the two-month format thus far. I really want to get a second entry done, and i know there's absolutely no way i'll have time between now and the end of April. It's nice to know i've got more time. I think as long as the contest ideas stay fairly broad and open to multiple interpretations, it'll always be good to have more time.

I think it'll be fun too, when the contests start to overlap....that should make for a lot of art coming in at all times. Hopefully, anyway. It's a bit of a letdown that we're so far into April and there are only three entries, after the huge turnout there's been for the last couple contests.
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#20 Reccoom Kaboom

Reccoom Kaboom

• Legends
  • 917 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:17 PM

I like the two-month format thus far. I really want to get a second entry done, and i know there's absolutely no way i'll have time between now and the end of April. It's nice to know i've got more time. I think as long as the contest ideas stay fairly broad and open to multiple interpretations, it'll always be good to have more time.

I think it'll be fun too, when the contests start to overlap....that should make for a lot of art coming in at all times. Hopefully, anyway. It's a bit of a letdown that we're so far into April and there are only three entries, after the huge turnout there's been for the last couple contests.

The slow start was my biggest concern. Hopefully it won't seem so spaced once the contests start overlapping.

some other topics I was thinking of were:
Artist's choice- complete freedom of topic

Ultimate Muscle- 'cus we have'nt done one yet, and consists of a large portion of this site, many artists
with skills

Halloween special

Apologies to...- drawing or painting L.R.G.s in a particular artist's style

Artist tag_team spectacular- two artists draw in month one, and trade to finish inmonth two. May be too hard to co-ordinate

just some Ideas I wanted to post before they are forgotten.
Posted Image

#21 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:10 AM

The slow start was my biggest concern. Hopefully it won't seem so spaced once the contests start overlapping.

A lot of entries seemed to come in during the last half of the month anyway. So there will probably be more popping in as we near the end.

some other topics I was thinking of were:
Artist's choice- complete freedom of topic

Could be interesting but hard to vote on.

Ultimate Muscle- 'cus we have'nt done one yet, and consists of a large portion of this site, many artists with skills

Good idea.

Halloween special

The Christmas themed one was great and a Halloween one would be even better.

Apologies to...- drawing or painting L.R.G.s in a particular artist's style

Do you mean, in the style of Maxfield Parrish or Alphonse Mucha, per se'?

Artist tag_team spectacular- two artists draw in month one, and trade to finish inmonth two. May be too hard to co-ordinate

If this could be coordinated, it would probably be a lot of fun, and very interesting.

Edited by Kevin Mayle, 20 April 2008 - 04:11 AM.

#22 Reccoom Kaboom

Reccoom Kaboom

• Legends
  • 917 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:35 PM

per se, yes indeed.

The 'with apologies to...' challenge could even have another artist's charachter in the peice
ex: Marv holding up a beaten Kevin Mask, saying "that sure is a fine coat yer wearing"-would have "with apologies to Frank Miller next to the signature.
Posted Image

#23 Reccoom Kaboom

Reccoom Kaboom

• Legends
  • 917 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:22 PM

Have we decided if Battlebeast mythologies is the next challenge to start on June 1st? any word yet on the patch?
Posted Image

#24 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:26 PM

sounds good to me... seems like a vast array of opportunities with that one.

#25 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:22 AM

Have we decided if Battlebeast mythologies is the next challenge to start on June 1st? any word yet on the patch?

I have not had time to look around. I am sorry guys I have been uber busy. Anyone is welcome to see if they can have the patch made for the contest.

WhiteLeo

I will never quit.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com