62 replies to this topic

#26 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

I am being turned off the whole enterprise with the neverending colour variations that appear on an almost weekly basis.

I find myself spending more money on OMFG than I do on lines I prefer, and that can't be right.

The "fan-created" appeal of the series is being abused and now just seems like a weak excuse to soak the customer base.
<span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#8b0000;">Stuff I'm selling: <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=220814">Madballs Water Squirters</a> *</strong></span> <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=154077">Gormiti</a> * <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=148080">Miscellaneous (MIMP, FOA etc)</a></strong></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#808000;">Stuff I really need:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=235893"><strong>HERE</strong></a></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#008000;">Stuff I collect:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...showtopic=44163"><strong>Gormiti</strong></a></span><br><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;">Get your own easy-to-use</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...ndpost&p=264795"><strong>M.U.S.C.L.E.</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">or</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...08"><strong>MIMP Series 1/2</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">checklists!</span></span>

#27 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

The "fan-created" appeal of the series is being abused and now just seems like a weak excuse to soak the customer base.

Exactly, this. It's a more extreme version of the disappointment that HoH fans felt, when the realized have of wave 2, were just recolors of half of the wave 1 figures... Except, it's ALL of the first wave, all of the time.
Ack.

#28 iwao

iwao

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1481 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

Too many colors should really only annoy completists. I was a completist for S1, but decided to stop when I could tell seeing a new color made me annoyed instead of happy, especially if it had some kind of con-exclusive attached to it.

I'm over it now though. And I don't mean I'm over OMFG altogether and will stop collecting. I'm just done obsessing about getting every color.

It's still a cheap line to collect if you get them at retail, and when there are around 20 colors of each series, why spend $30 to $40 on ebay for a color you missed? Just live without that color. I think only a handful of collectors will actually try to remain completists, and they shouldn't if they don't enjoy doing it.

#29 LittleGeorge

LittleGeorge

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Toys! Of course!

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying, and I'm behind making a lot of this!

For me, the only color that matters is Flesh. If i were collecting this line from outside of making it, I wouldn't buy a single other one. And our goal is to make Flesh available to those that want to collect this line. All the other colors are a bonus for the hardcore that want them.

What you guys are failing to see is that we aren't just making colors for shits and giggles. We are being asked multiple times to keep making colors. So the 10 of you don't like it, fine, don't collect every color! No one is making you! If you have a completest gene in you that is driving you nuts, then that is something you need to deal with, why blame other people for it?

If you don't like multiple colors, you may want to stay away from series 2! But the thing to remember is that all of the exclusives are being made by people/stores that are fans of this line and would like to see it continue. They are supporting this line and making figures for collectors. As for the 200 piece limit, that is just a minimum. Any exclusive has the ability to make more if the demand is there. So if we get to a place that 300 sets needs to be made, we can do that. Right now, 200 seems to be plenty. It just doesn't make sense to pay for all that tooling and not make figures in it. don't forget when Hasbro makes a Snake Eyes, it's not 200 pieces, it's thousands!

As for releases happening at cons only, that simply hasn't happened and is something we never want to happen. This line was born online and we want it to be available to everyone online. With the most recent NYCC release, we flew in a few sets to bring in person, but a majority of the sales were handled online over two days. Sure timezones are always a problem, but that is just reality. Someone, somewhere will have to wake up early/late to get a release, again, that' just life online.

The comment that the designs aren't as good anymore, really? we are 10 figures in, 15 if you count the ones not even sculpted yet! What not as good as way back 1 line ago? Plus they are voted on, you want a specific figure made? Vote for it and get your friends to vote and back it on kickstarter. That's the only way this line will continue.

#30 walker13.1

walker13.1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

I've officially thrown in the towel on collecting every color variation of S1 OMFG.

Ditto, I'm done. My focus will be shifted to The Walking Dead. The series three coming out in March looks awesome.

Edited by vette88, 20 November 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#31 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

Why is it still on KS?

#32 SaltLakeToyJunkee

SaltLakeToyJunkee

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:30 PM

I agree with a lot of what you guys are saying, and I'm behind making a lot of this!

For me, the only color that matters is Flesh. If i were collecting this line from outside of making it, I wouldn't buy a single other one. And our goal is to make Flesh available to those that want to collect this line. All the other colors are a bonus for the hardcore that want them.

What you guys are failing to see is that we aren't just making colors for shits and giggles. We are being asked multiple times to keep making colors. So the 10 of you don't like it, fine, don't collect every color! No one is making you! If you have a completest gene in you that is driving you nuts, then that is something you need to deal with, why blame other people for it?

If you don't like multiple colors, you may want to stay away from series 2! But the thing to remember is that all of the exclusives are being made by people/stores that are fans of this line and would like to see it continue. They are supporting this line and making figures for collectors. As for the 200 piece limit, that is just a minimum. Any exclusive has the ability to make more if the demand is there. So if we get to a place that 300 sets needs to be made, we can do that. Right now, 200 seems to be plenty. It just doesn't make sense to pay for all that tooling and not make figures in it. don't forget when Hasbro makes a Snake Eyes, it's not 200 pieces, it's thousands!

As for releases happening at cons only, that simply hasn't happened and is something we never want to happen. This line was born online and we want it to be available to everyone online. With the most recent NYCC release, we flew in a few sets to bring in person, but a majority of the sales were handled online over two days. Sure timezones are always a problem, but that is just reality. Someone, somewhere will have to wake up early/late to get a release, again, that' just life online.

The comment that the designs aren't as good anymore, really? we are 10 figures in, 15 if you count the ones not even sculpted yet! What not as good as way back 1 line ago? Plus they are voted on, you want a specific figure made? Vote for it and get your friends to vote and back it on kickstarter. That's the only way this line will continue.

I cant believe he would talk to the people he expects to buy his toys like that. I dont want to buy anymore OMFG based off this post alone. If you talk shit on your fan base pretty soon the fans wont buy anymore. I they were smart they would focus on making more figs in the line instead of soaking the fan base. But I guess if we keep buying who is the fool :confused: ??? I just see it as taking advantage. But if I was able to get away with making a few thousand off of each color that rolls through the door I would be pumping them out too. So on the one hand I dont blame you. Obviously this guy dont give a shit that 10 of his customers are unhappy. All I can say is we are the 10 that have a pair of balls to say anything. I guarantee there are more out there.

#33 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:39 PM

I cant believe he would talk to the people he expects to buy his toys like that. I dont want to buy anymore OMFG based off this post alone. If you talk shit on your fan base pretty soon the fans wont buy anymore. I they were smart they would focus on making more figs in the line instead of soaking the fan base. But I guess if we keep buying who is the fool :confused: ??? I just see it as taking advantage. But if I was able to get away with making a few thousand off of each color that rolls through the door I would be pumping them out too. So on the one hand I dont blame you. Obviously this guy dont give a shit that 10 of his customers are unhappy. All I can say is we are the 10 that have a pair of balls to say anything. I guarantee there are more out there.

Dude, there are so many factors that kill me about this... You want more, ask him why the line is still dependant on Kickstarter THREE WAVES IN. Or why the artists aren't at all compensated... I mean, that isn't something that gets figured into the overhead. It's frustrating, because we were all super interested in this line when it first came about. I hope Monsterforge breaks off and does his own thing, because that dude is talented, and has a vision that I can get behind. But this? Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
This message isn't the tip of the iceberg, my friends.

#34 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

Some things to keep in mind:

1. October Toys isn't making much on new Series 1 colors. Those molds cost a chunk of change to produce (when we were getting quotes for the 60mm ROTB figures, some factories wanted as much as $15000 for the 2 figure mold and a minimum run of 5000 figures) and after covering the costs of the molds, turning around and selling colors to vendors at a wholesale price of $1 per figure doesn't leave much after paying for the figures, shipping from China and the included headers. As George mentioned, these are being run in lots of 200 or so, not thousands. The per figure cost is not as cheap as if it were. Even reusing the same mold, a factory will charge a minimum per color run because they have to do a lot of stuff in between colors.

2. They aren't letting anyone and everyone who wants to run a color, do so. While there are a ton of different colors, not everyone who has asked to buy an exclusive color to resale, has been able to do it. I know a couple people who wanted to but were turned down. If this was all about soaking as much money out of selling figures, they wouldn't be restricting the vendors.

3. On a more personal note, I am not as excited about the S2 or S3 sculpts as I was about the Series 1 figures, but a lot of people were, otherwise they wouldn't have made it to the top five. I LOVE M.U.S.C.L.E. and Kinnikuman figures, but even with those lines there are some pretty crappy sculpts. Not everyone is going to love every sculpt. But enough people seem to like them to keep the line going. The Series 2 Kickstarter got more pledgers than Series 1 did.

4. Going back to Kickstarter for each release. That is what I would do. Why? Because if for some reason the voting does produce some crappy figures that no one likes, then the Kickstarter will fail and no one will be out any money. BUT... if the Kickstarter is successful, then you know you have a wave that people like and will buy. As a vendor, seeing the Kickstarter succeed encourages me to want to buy-in. Hell, I was so confident this time (even though I am not as excited about the sculpts as I was with Series 1) that I picked up 5 colors instead of 1. That is a pretty big gamble. Especially when you factor in the extra money I have put in for the special packaging and posters. Yet, I am confident, based on the Kickstarter results, that they will all sell, and quickly. So, in my opinion, a Kickstarter for every wave is the ideal way to go to help gauge interest in that wave.

Anyways, that is what I had on my mind.

#35 SaltLakeToyJunkee

SaltLakeToyJunkee

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:41 PM

1. October Toys isn't making much on new Series 1 colors. Those molds cost a chunk of change to produce (when we were getting quotes for the 60mm ROTB figures, some factories wanted as much as $15000 for the 2 figure mold and a minimum run of 5000 figures) and after covering the costs of the molds, turning around and selling colors to vendors at a wholesale price of $1 per figure doesn't leave much after paying for the figures, shipping from China and the included headers. As George mentioned, these are being run in lots of 200 or so, not thousands. The per figure cost is not as cheap as if it were. Even reusing the same mold, a factory will charge a minimum per color run because they have to do a lot of stuff in between colors.

2. They aren't letting anyone and everyone who wants to run a color, do so. While there are a ton of different colors, not everyone who has asked to buy an exclusive color to resale, has been able to do it. I know a couple people who wanted to but were turned down. If this was all about soaking as much money out of selling figures, they wouldn't be restricting the vendors.

So maybe its not OT taking the fun out of the line then. It could be the so called restricted vendors pumping out new colors once a week. I am just turned off by the whole line now. Needless to say if I do purchase any figures going forward I might just take Georges advice and buy flesh only.

#36 groovemachine

groovemachine

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

Those are some really good points jkaris! I would just encourage people to remember that these things are just silly little toys. Buy the ones you like and don't buy the ones you don't care about. I appreciate jkaris going the extra mile to put together posters and fun packaging options for both waves so far. The additional color runs are helping to spread awareness of the line to new people. Rotofugi sold out of their original blue color from lots of online orders, so they got a clear blue run and sold a lot of those out of their store front in Chicago. That's good for the longevity of the line. I don't care how many colors are made if they're getting visibility to the project. Do I wish there were more figures and larger waves? Sure. All things in due time if it's meant to be!

Also, the artists are getting some attention and money off of their "artist proof" runs, painting customs, being showcased at events, etc. It's whatever you make of it...kind of like the rest of life. Feel free to not submit designs if you have a better outlet for them.

#37 iwao

iwao

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1481 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

Ditto, I'm done. My focus will be shifted to The Walking Dead. The series three coming out in March looks awesome.

I saw Shane at Toys R Us today if you are talking about the McFarlane figures. He looks sucky like most of the survivors, but the well zombie looks like it could be pretty awesome.

Why is it still on KS?

I just see KS as a pre-order for the flesh and black with free shipping. I have no problem with that.

If this was all about soaking as much money out of selling figures, they wouldn't be restricting the vendors.

You would know more about this than the rest of us, but I figure OT makes no profit on the exclusive sets if it still costs you around $1/figure that it cost on the S1 kickstarter.

I LOVE M.U.S.C.L.E. and Kinnikuman figures, but even with those lines there are some pretty crappy sculpts.

I love MUSCLE too, and I could probably trim the line from 236 to about 50 that I actually care about, and 50 is a generous estimate. So far I've really like 2 or 3 figures in every OMFG series, and there have been 2 or 3 in each that I'm not that crazy about.

So maybe its not OT taking the fun out of the line then. It could be the so called restricted vendors pumping out new colors once a week.

Jon announcing four series 2 colors cemented my decision to stop being a completist, but I still pre-ordered all 5 of his sets because the cans are awesome and I know I can sell or trade a couple sets later to get some of my money back. I'm finding a way to make collecting the line fit my budget.

Whether more colors take the fun out of the line is up to each collector.

Also, the artists are getting some attention and money off of their "artist proof" runs, painting customs, being showcased at events, etc.

I've thought that too, but I'm not an artist. It also seems like guys like monsterforge and Spanky have talked about having sets in hand before they have gone on sale or have posted pics of sets that haven't been released (like Spanky posting a pic of orange, gold, and red sets together) that makes me think each artist gets a set of every color. No idea if that's true or if those sets are free to the artists, but it's just something I've noticed for some of the recent releases.

#38 Metalmonkey

Metalmonkey

Ironhaus apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:Collecting/making/talking about LRGs.

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:19 AM

4. Going back to Kickstarter for each release. That is what I would do. Why? Because if for some reason the voting does produce some crappy figures that no one likes, then the Kickstarter will fail and no one will be out any money. BUT... if the Kickstarter is successful, then you know you have a wave that people like and will buy. As a vendor, seeing the Kickstarter succeed encourages me to want to buy-in. Hell, I was so confident this time (even though I am not as excited about the sculpts as I was with Series 1) that I picked up 5 colors instead of 1. That is a pretty big gamble. Especially when you factor in the extra money I have put in for the special packaging and posters. Yet, I am confident, based on the Kickstarter results, that they will all sell, and quickly. So, in my opinion, a Kickstarter for every wave is the ideal way to go to help gauge interest in that wave.

Totally agree. If I like the figures enough (and like Iwao, I've liked at least 2-3 from every series) ill back it on kickstarter straight away. If in the future a line up doesn't have 1 figure in it that I want (doubt it) then I'd just sit back and watch it on KS to see if others feel the same.

Jon, I think you've done a great job with your next release of OMFG's simply because you sweetened the deal with awesome artwork and packaging, as well as the posters and whatnot. I'm glad you also upped the level of quality and set the standard for future releases.
But dammit, I still want some cards for these guys to happen! Someone has to do that please.

Edited by Metalmonkey, 21 November 2012 - 12:20 AM.

bannerfans20blog2015.jpgbanner2015_1.jpg

#39 walker13.1

walker13.1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:55 AM

I saw Shane at Toys R Us today if you are talking about the McFarlane figures. He looks sucky like most of the survivors, but the well zombie looks like it could be pretty awesome.

I bought series 2 all at one time. I've learned to get them when you can. I bought the last Well Zombie they had, and TWD hasn't been restocked. Come March I'll be hitting TRU up again. There are few figures I need for series one. All in due time.

#40 waaaaghlord

waaaaghlord

C.UT.I.E. Owners Club Founder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:02 PM

It could be the so called restricted vendors pumping out new colors once a week.

I'd like to just note here that most of the reason we're seeing a series of staggered release recently is that series 2 isn't out yet and aside from the orange artist figures it's been mostly sets being offered as preorders. Even the Stealth sets worked pretty much that way for online orders since they weren't in from the factory at the time. I'm glad to see so many vendors taking this approach. If everybody was just releasing everything at once in mid December that would be a huge strain on collector's wallets. Having a new colour pop up for order every week or two running up to the release really helps to spread the cost. Since Onell are only supposed to have one more 'drop' this year at the end of this month I'm assuming that their next OMFG sets will actually be offered in January, again staggered a bit away from when the majority of the new offerings will be hitting and keeping the up front cost in any given week to a minimum. After that I'd expect to see a bit of a lull in new offerings, probably until we're getting back towards convention season again. It's not like we're going to see people offering up a new colour per week all year round.
soundwave wrote "don't insult my bananna!!!!!!!!!"

#41 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

I don't ever complete collections so i don't mind the endless colors but i feel bad for a couple of my friends who NEED ever color that drops and are getting overwhelmed by it. For me i just grab colors i like of individual figures i like so there isn't really a downside.

Attached Files

#42 Doctor Dew

Doctor Dew

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

I don't ever complete collections so i don't mind the endless colors but i feel bad for a couple of my friends who NEED ever color that drops and are getting overwhelmed by it. For me i just grab colors i like of individual figures i like so there isn't really a downside.

I'm of a similar mind since I would like more people to break up their color sets. I just want a nice variety of colors, not every figure in every color. So my hope is that all the color releases encourage some people to stop trying to get every set and trade more individual figures. But I think that those people that really want to catch them all can still make it happen, it will just take more work/money.

#43 walker13.1

walker13.1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

I'm of a similar mind since I would like more people to break up their color sets.

That might happen. I just haven't made up my mind yet. My thinking right now is to stay the same as how I collect M.U.S.C.L.E.

Edited by vette88, 27 November 2012 - 12:00 PM.

#44 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

That might happen. I just haven't made up my mind yet. My thinking right now is to stay the same as how I collect M.U.S.C.L.E.

Give it up man. Colors will be coming out forever. When the next series doesn't sell as well people will just make more series 1 colors. AP colors will never stop, making you hustle to grab them from different sellers. Eventually all the colors you do have will get re-released anyway. Then they will probably release a random color pack making all your efforts hilariously useless. Just give up. Call it quits. Let me get that green skull. :p

#45 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

Lemme get dat green skull.

There, I fixed it for you.

#46 walker13.1

walker13.1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

Give it up man. Colors will be coming out forever. When the next series doesn't sell as well people will just make more series 1 colors. AP colors will never stop, making you hustle to grab them from different sellers. Eventually all the colors you do have will get re-released anyway. Then they will probably release a random color pack making all your efforts hilariously useless. Just give up. Call it quits. Let me get that green skull. :p

I have already stop buying. I stopped after the orange stroll. Now it's just a matter if I want to off load all my colors except flesh. Customs might be included.

#47 SmokinGun

SmokinGun

Weird, Wild Wrestler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

Give it up man. Colors will be coming out forever.

True true! Its endless. OFMG went through all MUSCLE colors except grape. I got a feeling thats gonna be the next color list. And a bunch of metallic colors. Metallic silver anyone?

#48 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:48 PM

Uhh, the existing purple looks far more like grape to me than MUSCLE dark purple.

#49 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

Uhh, the existing purple looks far more like grape to me than MUSCLE dark purple.

I agree. I thought it was darker until I had it in hand, but it's actually more like the "grape" purple.

14460229430_bb17eb3c18_n.jpg

#50 lhssenior

lhssenior

Toy Addict

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1464 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

This is so strange to me that people are arguing AGAINST having such variety in color choices available. To me as a collector that's the best thing ever! I get all of my favorite colors and other people, who may have preferences different than my own, also get the colors they want. Isn't that the definition of a win-win? The simple answer to those going out of their minds like it's a bad trip *ZOMG SOOO MANY COLORS!!!* need to remember that just because it exists does not force you to buy it. That's completely on you. Buy the ones you want. Don't buy the ones you don't want and as long as there's at least a decent chunk of folks out there picking up any OR all of these, it looks like new series will continue to get made so you can pick and choose which ones you want.

Why are some people making this so complicated? I would be on cloud 9 for the opportunity to have such color variety available in some of the other minifig lines I collect yet of course there's people that can even find the negative in such a great opportunity. If you don't like the way George is running his ship take the initiative and Kickstart your own line so you can cater to what YOU want. For all the flak George is taking it seems like it should be pretty easy for those unhappy with his system to due their own production right? The option is there for everyone and with my love of minifigs I'd love to see a whole bunch of these lines pop up but for some reason I doubt too many people are going to put their money where their mouth is when they can just argue on the internet instead and complain about what other people are doing instead of doing something themselves. To those that do take the initiative however, props and I'll likely be first in line for your figs too :)
-Barry

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com