Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Would anyone like to see a custom GITD Series 3 Figure?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Alteriormotive

Alteriormotive

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:11 AM

Just trying to see if many people would be willing to buy a custom season 3 glow in the dark centaur figure if it was on eBay. Please lmk!

#2 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:27 PM

Remember, though, the Centaur figure is a copyrighted item. It might be a bad idea to list a custom version of a copyrighted figure on eBay.

People do it all the time. Some people have made a living from it. Methinks this is scaremongering a little. I've no doubt you are "well-connected" but eBay's reach is just a tad larger.
<span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#8b0000;">Stuff I'm selling: <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=220814">Madballs Water Squirters</a> *</strong></span> <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=154077">Gormiti</a> * <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=148080">Miscellaneous (MIMP, FOA etc)</a></strong></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#808000;">Stuff I really need:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=235893"><strong>HERE</strong></a></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#008000;">Stuff I collect:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...showtopic=44163"><strong>Gormiti</strong></a></span><br><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;">Get your own easy-to-use</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...ndpost&p=264795"><strong>M.U.S.C.L.E.</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">or</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...08"><strong>MIMP Series 1/2</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">checklists!</span></span>

#3 Alteriormotive

Alteriormotive

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys; I appreciate it!

#4 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 23 February 2010 - 01:50 PM

Alteriormotive, I'm sure the reason for selecting a Centaur as a custom has to do with availability - what you have or can borrow - and if it's your only option, that's understandable. But it's definitely not the best. Leviathan, Amphisbaena, Abominable Snowman and perhaps Blemmyea are your best options. If you don't have these, do your best to get one if you want to customize Series 3 MIMP!

#5 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:15 PM

Furthermore, I'd be surprised if it sold for less than $100.

Remember, though, the Centaur figure is a copyrighted item. It might be a bad idea to list a custom version of a copyrighted figure on eBay.

I'd like to state, for everyone, my 3 recommendations regarding custom MIMP figures:
1) Always tell any buyer/trader that it's a custom, even if you didn't manufacture it yourself.
2) Always make custom MIMP figures in unique colors, to keep them from being confused with bootlegs.
3) Never make customs of "Generation-2" figures, since the copyrights and the financial interests are much more recent.

Wolf, as your experience would probably confirm, the figure would not even come close to $100.

I'd worry about the copyright the exact same amount as you always have. ;)

As for the 3 recommendations:
1. Duh. :unknw: "The Hub" seems to be imply you might do something dishonest. I would hope nobody infers this from The Hub's message.
2. I wouldn't worry about that. Period. The only time anyone needs to worry about that is if the materials were similar - and Wolf's aren't.
3. I wouldn't worry about that either. Hell, MEG could use the press.

#6 Alteriormotive

Alteriormotive

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 04:50 PM

:unknw:...ok gentlemen. Thank you all for your advise and recommendations. Boaconda hit the nail on the head with the reason; availability is just a bid away on ebay. I did see some Levaithan figures just end a couple of weeks ago that I was on the edge of bidding. Perhaps I'll wait until something a little more interesting comes along.

While you guys are helping, what do you guys think is the most interesting of the customs Im able to do? Between: Glow in dark, Growing/shrinking; Solar & Color change. I really want to focus on what people would be interested in and sometimes its hit & miss when it comes to making the customs to put online. The Grow material is especially a burden because over time the vat it comes in solidifies over time. I just put some giant Claws that have all 3 attributes up on ebay if you guys want to check them out.

http://shop.ebay.com...p;_trksid=p4340

Thanks guys! Please let me know when you get a chance ;)

#7 KungFuMan

KungFuMan

Master of the Palm and Foot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:31 PM

I have to admit, this could be both very awesome but very troublesome too. I do love the idea of being able to, say, get a GITD Skeleton or even just a custom color one (especially orange...what? I'm a sucker for the color). That's something I would justify forking good cash over.

The downside though is preventing folks from doing what that Daniele dude did, in which case there is no real protection other than alerting eBay if we see it happen.

Edited by KungFuMan, 23 February 2010 - 06:31 PM.

#8 KungFuMan

KungFuMan

Master of the Palm and Foot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:13 PM

2) Always make custom MIMP figures in unique colors, to keep them from being confused with bootlegs..."

This one seems sorta silly when applied to series 1's/series 2's other than Ganesha for one simple reason: cost effectiveness. It'll probably cost at least $100+ dollars to commission one figure from him in any color. Say I paid him to make me a near-perfect series-2 orange skeleton for my collection, and considered selling it. Given that it's still only a premium figure, at most I'd be looking at about $10-45 dollars, plus the fact that everyone here would suddenly be alert to a series 1 premium they'd never heard of.

Questions could quickly be asked such as seeing the bottom of the figure's feet, and a complaint sent to eBay that I'm selling a bootlegged item, thus it'd be removed. So it's not only not cost effective, but it also can effectively get one booted off ebay.

So I'm missing exactly what would be the point in worrying if he made them in an existing color unless it's something already that rare, and even then save for series 3...you're just going to lose cash.

#9 Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:09 PM

They are all neat but I would have to say GITD would be my favorite. I have daydreams of hundreds of glow in the dark figures lighting up my room at night :unknw:

I think the paranoia is quite unnecessary. Wolf has demonstrated zero shadiness and plenty of evidence he's a straight shooter who makes cool figures. So stop worrying about the axe in the ceiling. Someone could take your homemade lemonade, and bottle it as 50 year old Shaoxing wine, but it would be foolish to let that worry stop you from setting up your lemonade stand.

Back to the subject matter, I do have a Leviathan and an Amphisbaena which I might consider lending for molding (2 of my 4 MIMP :D ) A GITD Amphisbaena would be pretty sweet ;)

#10 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2010 - 05:57 AM

While you guys are helping, what do you guys think is the most interesting of the customs Im able to do? Between: Glow in dark, Growing/shrinking; Solar & Color change. I really want to focus on what people would be interested in and sometimes its hit & miss when it comes to making the customs to put online.

I wouldn't worry about it. but I think it ultimately comes down to your perspective.

If you're trying to create a small piece of art of He-Man/MUSCLE/etc. collectors, then do whatever you want. You'll likely enjoy it more, which in turn will allow you to be more creative – which will ultimately garner more interest and sales.

Of course, if you're just looking to maximize sales with a unique product offering then I think you should ignore MUSCLE and most LRG's. You need to maximize your audience; brands like SW, Transformers, and GI Joe should be your focus. And if you're going to appeal to those collectors you likely need to offer something unique and fitting within the cannon of the brand. For example, you might sell a dozen red ninja swords for GI Joe, but you could probably sell dozens (maybe more?) of full body Zartan's that changed from his natural skin tone to Dark Blue (isn't that what the vintage figure did?).

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com