• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#76 lhssenior

lhssenior

Toy Addict

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1464 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

I have to disagree. In the case of bootlegs entering the market. One collector being able to get those bootlegs for a cheaper amount is not tied at all to the person who loses money on the value of the originals. The only commonality (and the cause of both) is that the bootlegs are being made by a 3rd party.
You can't say because Joe collector bought some cheap knock offs that his purchase has caused Jane collector's original value to drop. The cause of both instances is someone bootlegging the items. Trying to assign responsibility or to correlate the two is an incorrect assumption.
One action (bootlegging) causing both results. But neither result is directly tied or attributed to each other. The bootlegs are already made even if no one ever buys any. And in this instance, I am going to take a gander and say that he has at minimum 200 sets of these due to them being injection molded. Although I will agree that the more people who buy the bootlegs will have an effect on how many more are produced. But the blame lies entirely on the bootlegger, not on the collector.
Although truth be told, even if the correlation were correct, it's not Collector A's responsibility to worry about the value of Collector B's toys.

Again, I have to disagree. Using toys as any type of "safe" long term investment is really not a good idea. You'd have a much better time buying precious metals or stock in a solid company. You'd also have an easier time liquidating it. Some lines will hold their value for a while, but some are very flash in the pan. Toy prices are almost completely driven by demand. In 10 years, do you honestly think that there will more demand for Laser Beasts than there is now? The ones driving up the demand are guys our age. When we are nearing 50, do you think the demand will still be there? Nah.
Short term, you are correct. Especially if you can get stuff at retail prices or less (i.e. Transformers). But long term, you are better off buying gold and silver.

And I'll disagree right back on both points Jon. Simple example, if there are 10 people in the marketplace looking to and willing to bid on a Kickback gun which for the sake of this example we will say sells for $100. A bootlegger from China begins selling exact discernible duplicates for $10. How many of those 10 buyers would you think would still be willing to pay for an original now knowing that no one will be able to tell whether it is original or not. If your response is any number more than zero, you have effectively removed that buyer from the marketplace and by default lowered the value of the original gun. This process will continue until the value of the original gun and the identical reproduction are equal which I am guessing is somewhere around... $10. Therefore I can not see how your conclusion that the bootlegs are not tied to the owner of the original losing money? The collector is the enabler as, like you said, the more that are bought the more will be produced thus exacerbating the effect. As to your point about Collector A not needing to worry about Collector B's toys, I agree. We do live in a What's In It For Me economy and look at where it's got us...

As to the second point, I never said it was the safest investment, I said it was the most fun. Collectible toys by nature are not a very volatile market and the very high market value items are generally do not see a ton of fluctuation unless a game changer which breaks the rules like this comes along. I also see a different outlook for the future of collectible toys based on some assumptions I made with my Magic the Gathering collection about a decade ago. I figured everyone that was playing back in what I thought was the hayday of the game had finally grown up and I saw tournament participation start to dwindle so I sold my collection for about $6k. Turns out I was way off and there has been a ton of new life and if I had just held on to it to today it would have been close to $40k. I made a poor assumption that just because the people I knew were growing up there would be no new influx of life into the scene and I paid for it. Look at the collectors on this board today, half of them have only been here a few years and a lot of the old timers don't come around any more. The scene has changed and adapted and still seems to be thriving :)
-Barry

#77 lhssenior

lhssenior

Toy Addict

• 1464 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

Here is a good example

G.I.Joe Heavy metal Mic piece.
It has been knocked off countless times including in black and original color for $10 and $1 respectively
http://www.ebay.com/itm/gi-joe-replacement-heavy-metal-mic-and-Sgt-slaughter-baton-lot-1-/221106101005?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item337af35b0d&nma=true&si=wQuTa56N9yHvH95B14b5MKiq4tg%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
http://www.ebay.com/itm/G-I-Joe-Heavy-Metal-Replacement-Mouthpiece-Microphone-/261076515714?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item3cc95f7b82

But the original still commands a high $130+ premium
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-GI-Joe-Mauler-Tank-Driver-Heavy-Metal-100-Complete-Original-Mic-File-Card-/200794963753?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item2ec04fff29

You ailed to read the discription of the auction in your own example where it shows a side by side of authentic and fake and states "The one on the left is a original mic and the one on the right is a reproduction. The difference in the real and fake mics are easy to see. The fake is brittle and breaks easily. Different in color, original is smooth finish."

So how does this have anything to do with what we are discussing? You've lost me, I agree with you that if fakes are easy to tell apart I have no problem with them. My issue comes from the uncertainty of fakes so good you can't tell if they are original of not. That is when the original loses value. Your example did not succeed :(
-Barry

#78 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

You know I just love to argue with you Barry. :lol:

#79 lhssenior

lhssenior

Toy Addict

• 1464 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:53 PM

You know I just love to argue with you Barry. :lol:

We've had some good ones buddy! I love that we can keep it good natured knowing that we're probably not going to change each other's minds :p

#80 FANtomCore

FANtomCore

FANtom-2-da-Core/Conceptor/Scanner/Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, SD Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, God Beasts, War Monsters, Beast Saga, Battle Beasts Minimates, Armorvors, Rise of the Beasts / MUSCLE, Ultimate Muscle, Kinnikuman.

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

I have to say both sides are right and no one is really wrong in there arguments.

Yes if identical copies are made of a rare item it's

A ) extremely helpful for collectors who don't have it, to finally get it one way or another and probably for cheaper
B ) can potentially hurt the value of the original rare item and so hurt the collector's resell-ability

The only solution that helps both A ) and B )

Is to make those copies less identical with either hardness, color, and even a marking if you have too.

That's about it.

GJNL already gave his two cents to the seller, and the seller understood the above even though he doesn't speak English very good, so expect the seller if he does sell more, and it looks like he will, they will atleast be the same but different.

I think the dilemma has been avoided beyond any major damage for now, we can all breathe a sigh of relief.

Edited by FANtomCore, 22 October 2012 - 07:04 PM.

What I like to collect (click below)
Spoiler
"Every passion borders on the chaotic, but the collector's passion borders on the chaos of memories."
-Walter Benjamin

All toys came from the original One Toy :p

#81 ComradeCuttlefish

ComradeCuttlefish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

I'm going to delete this, too, because I see no reason to carry it on. The point has already been made.

Edited by ComradeCuttlefish, 22 October 2012 - 08:42 PM.

#82 mca19

mca19

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Mainly Battle Beasts/Laser Beasts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:26 AM

Can I say one thing? I've watched 4 debates this last month - 3 presidential, 1 vp - and this is easily the best debate I've seen this year.

However, you both are spending too much time telling us your point of view. Can you please spend more time putting words and thoughts into the other person's mouth?

#83 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:01 AM

We've had some good ones buddy! I love that we can keep it good natured knowing that we're probably not going to change each other's minds :p

It helps when you have a lot of respect for the person you are arguing with. I think you are a great guy Barry, even though we both see things differently.

#84 Toxoviper

Toxoviper

Toy Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1269 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:49 PM

You ailed to read the discription of the auction in your own example where it shows a side by side of authentic and fake and states "The one on the left is a original mic and the one on the right is a reproduction. The difference in the real and fake mics are easy to see. The fake is brittle and breaks easily. Different in color, original is smooth finish."

So how does this have anything to do with what we are discussing? You've lost me, I agree with you that if fakes are easy to tell apart I have no problem with them. My issue comes from the uncertainty of fakes so good you can't tell if they are original of not. That is when the original loses value. Your example did not succeed :(
-Barry

You did not look at the other links.
All three show a different reproduction with one being extremely close to the original in color & quality.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/gi-joe-replacement-heavy-metal-mic-and-Sgt-slaughter-baton-lot-1-/221106101005?pt=US_Action_Figures&hash=item337af35b0d&nma=true&si=wQuTa56N9yHvH95B14b5MKiq4tg%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

It's shows that the original is still highly valuable no matter how many reproductions are on the scene.
Some collectors prefer original pieces, some will be happy with reproductions.

#85 lhssenior

lhssenior

Toy Addict

• 1464 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:18 PM

Some collectors prefer original pieces, some will be happy with reproductions.

...and I'm totally cool with that as long as there is a definitive way to tell them apart which I have been saying all along. It's when someone wanting an original is hesitant to pull the trigger because they don't know whether what they are buying is authentic or not that problems arise and people start getting hurt. Uncertainty here is the enemy, not reproductions that are clearly observable to be knock offs. Can we agree on that and put this to rest bud?
-Barry

#86 SaltLakeToyJunkee

SaltLakeToyJunkee

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:25 AM

He has now dropped sleds and shields on ebay.

#87 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

Links?

#88 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

Hell yeah!!!!

Shiny!!!

http://www.ebay.com/...d-/251173290292 - Gold Shields

http://www.ebay.com/...r-/251173291976 - Silver Shields

http://www.ebay.com/...r-/251173268349 - Gold and Silver Sleds

Looks like he has some repro lasers, too. I see a black Dragonfly. I wonder if it will have chest inserts.

#89 retroactive80z

retroactive80z

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1237 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, Fake Battle Beasts, Custom Battle beasts.
    BATTLE BEASTS ROCK AND SO DO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:03 AM

See I don't mind these being on there as you can tell there repo shields and sleds. I actually think the sleds look pritty cool. I wish he had done this with the laser guns aswell.

#90 retroactive80z

retroactive80z

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1237 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, Fake Battle Beasts, Custom Battle beasts.
    BATTLE BEASTS ROCK AND SO DO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:09 AM

But I won't buy them as I don't want to encourage him into making any more realistic ones.

#91 Onyxiaphil

Onyxiaphil

Starcaller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:Transformers
    Battle Beasts
    Armorvors
    Nintendo
    Everything custom
    Poutine & Bacon

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

Very nice!

I'd love to get a set of flat black LBs. Depends on the chest insert as Jkaris mentioned.

#92 mca19

mca19

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Mainly Battle Beasts/Laser Beasts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

I guess I don't deal a lot in lasers, but are their reproduction inserts available? I've never seen them.

I see he sold a clear carp and yeah, I'm guessing the black dragonfly is next. Seems like this guy found a good market. Wonder what his net income is off each sale? Sorry, just the nerd in me. I guess the more sales he gets the more repro stuff he'll (or she'll) create. I'm guessing there is a large markup here at the moment, I hope it settles cause I'd love some custom figures especially if they make repro chest inserts. But I do like that carp that just sold.

#93 lhssenior

lhssenior

Toy Addict

• 1464 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

See I don't mind these being on there as you can tell there repo shields and sleds. I actually think the sleds look pritty cool. I wish he had done this with the laser guns aswell.

The gold plated guns for the LB were actually done already in the early 90's and came with the Visionaries figures released in Greece along with the normal Visionaries weapons. I've got a 4-pack and ShadowBat has I believe 8 individually boxed figures. Another rare find out the window if this guy starts producing them :( Can't really blame him on these though as most collectors don't even know they exist since they're so rare.
-Barry

#94 oj2002

oj2002

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:46 PM

again:
http://www.ebay.com/...n-/261166458353

#95 Coelocanth

Coelocanth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted 06 February 2013 - 11:03 PM

I think it's actually a different guy this time. Different account and the quality of the plastic looks slightly different. Could be wrong on that point though.

#96 Toxoviper

Toxoviper

Toy Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1269 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 02:45 PM

I think it's actually a different guy this time. Different account and the quality of the plastic looks slightly different. Could be wrong on that point though.

Same guy they have been sold now.

He really is making some amazing reproductions/customs with some GIjoe vehicles and Laser Beast shields/sleds.

I wanted to purchase the set and resell them separate as auctions but knew I would take one hell of a backlash here so I didn't touch it.

#97 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 07 February 2013 - 07:42 PM

Same guy they have been sold now.

He really is making some amazing reproductions/customs with some GIjoe vehicles and Laser Beast shields/sleds.

I wanted to purchase the set and resell them separate as auctions but knew I would take one hell of a backlash here so I didn't touch it.

Alright I don't want to start the debate back up or anything, but before anyone starts getting paranoid again I'll disclose that I'm the one who bought the most recently listed set, and you can sleep soundly knowing I did so exclusively to pair with my LB collection that will never be sold. I will likely resell or trade the extras that I do not need to any interested individuals, but they'll certainly be identified as reproductions because well, I'm not an ass-hat. Like many of you, I've collected Beastformers for virtually my entire life so even though I know it's not fiscally practical, a part of me has always been committed to the idea of one day owning all of the Japanese LBs despite their relative rarity and expense. And while I'm finally in a position in my life that I can buy things like expensive vintage toys, I simply can't justify throwing $200-250 each for 21 complete figures just so I'll know their weapons are 'authentic'. I'd much rather pay about half that for the figure and pair them with an inexpensive but equally displayable copy of the weapon. After all, there's a finite number of these around the world, and while new pieces pop up with regularity so do new collectors who like me, have no desire to part with their collection. Eventually, the supply will run out and there will be collectors left wanting for a weapon that no longer exists outside of a closed collection or insider trades.

On a related note, I have to disagree with some of the comments I read earlier in this thread insinuating that it's an act of aggression/disrespect and harmful to 'true collectors' to support a reproduction market. No one collector has any more right to collect anything than another, yet the insinuation here seems to be that if one doesn't have the finances to collect the originals, the honorable thing to do is just suck it up and deal with it because supporting reproductions somehow damages or depreciates the collections of individuals who already paid for the originals. The message I was getting from that is if you don't have the cash to spend, you don't deserve to own these figures. I completely reject that concept, and suspect an underlying sentiment that no one wants to readily admit to is simply that it feels like it's just not fair that some collectors are buying reproductions like these because others paid the premium price when there was no other option available and might not have done so otherwise. I've paid over $100 for lasers on more than one occasion but did I get pissed when I saw that excellent quality reproductions were being made in China? Of course not! I was thrilled at the opportunity to own all of these wonderful little sculptures for almost $2000 less than it would take to obtain the originals, and that's assuming I could even locate collectors willing to part with the guns at a "reasonable" price in the first place. The point is, I no longer see Benjamin Franklin staring at me from every empty Japanese LB hand, and that's ultimately all I was concerned with rectifying. Had I found this out after spending $2000 on plastic toy guns, would I feel differently? Yeah probably, because I'm human just like the rest of you. ;)

Having said all of that, I have great respect for all of you who have shelled out the time and money in pursuit of this great line of toys in their original state for love of the artwork, and I'll explain why. I look at the numerous authentic, massive collections showcased in these forums (like GJNL's in those beautiful displays) to be mini museums or shrines if you will, paying homage to what I feel is the most exciting toy line ever released. I know that the owners of these collections value them as highly as I value my own collection, that they're taking excellent care of them, and that they appreciate them for the true pieces of art that they are. So, the fact that these wonderful collections exist in the first place and getting to see them in their glory gives me a warm and fuzzy. However, the significant number of collectors that see this and every other highly sought after toy line as a cash cow; those who continually try to hoard rare items for the sole purpose of high-balling prices...I have a very different sentiment towards them. Something really irks me about seeing a rare item go for what seems like a fair price on eBay, only to see the exact same item with identical photos turn up days later with an inflated BIN price tag. Yeah, I know 'that's capitalism', and I could care less if someone does it with readily available items such as a stereo, or even more readily available collectibles for that matter, but when it's done with vintage/antique items it's pretty tactless and selfish. In my opinion, the impact of these types of merchants who constantly impose arbitrary watermarks on prices of rare items do more collectively to harm the true collectors than a single reproduction artist creating limited quantities of discernible copies somewhere in the mountains of China.

But of course the one thing that's been made very obvious to me by reading this thread is that my opinion in this matter is as meaningless as everyone else's. :lol:

There will always be vultures, as there will always be bootleg artists, and there will always be the true fans who loves what he collects. At the end of the day, for me the decision to buy the reproduction lasers was easily reached with a simple mathematical statement. $5/laser < $100/laser. :)

Edited by bachamn, 07 February 2013 - 08:01 PM.

#98 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:21 PM

I want a set. When they sell for $60-$70 for the set, I'll pick one up. At some point they will (if they are mass producing these).

#99 Toxoviper

Toxoviper

Toy Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1269 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 09:01 PM

$5/laser < $100/laser. :)

I don't judge you one bit as I saw that listing to be worth much more the the $160-170 asking price.

You have greatly increased the look and value of your collection. I would have done the exact same in your circumstance.

#100 Coelocanth

Coelocanth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

I want a set. When they sell for $60-$70 for the set, I'll pick one up. At some point they will (if they are mass producing these).

Me too. I strongly considered buying these for all the reasons bachamn mentioned. I even considered doing what Toxoviper mentioned.

But I am looking forward to picking a set of these up one day.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com