• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts
  • Interests:Former Pro Wrestler so naturally Wrestling, Kinnikuman, Saint Seiya, Kinkeshi, Deka Kinkeshi & throw in some AoA!

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:21 AM

Showcase #17: 1986 Mattel Catalog

Besides being a collector of Kinnikuman I am also interested in the history of the line (both from Japan and America). I love historical pieces!

The catalogs themselves are not difficult to come by or expensive (I paid $19.99 + shipping for mine). For that collector wanting to take that extra mile or dwell deeper into the line like myself; catalogs are an interesting addition to any collection.

I first read about them on UofM (along with REX Magazine also a bible for my collecting research). I was always interested in why certain sculpts made it to the line and some did not. Reading about the speculation is a lot different than actually holding the thing in your darn hand!

UofM blog (Literature 100 – 1986 and 1987 Mattel Catalogs) about MUSCLE products in catalogs:

http://blog.uofmuscl...mattel-catalog/

The blog highlighted and confirmed my thoughts. I always thought the sculpts in the promotion pictures are actually Kinkeshi and not Mattel PVC figures.

Probably not having time to get to the molding/casting etc for all the figures in the Mattel line; they just took pictures of the Kinkeshi and used them for the promotional pictures.

MUSCLE figures had 4 pages of promotion in the199 page catalog in comparison to MOTU or Barbie (so obviously not that high on the food chain).

Attached Files

Edited by kayfabe1985, 04 July 2017 - 03:41 AM.

#2 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts
  • Interests:Former Pro Wrestler so naturally Wrestling, Kinnikuman, Saint Seiya, Kinkeshi, Deka Kinkeshi & throw in some AoA!

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:30 AM

The first page had an awesome logo splash! For me it was interesting because I got the see some prototypes! (I think and please correct me if am wrong).

On the bottom left hand corner I think you have pictures of actual prototypes of the Kinnikuman & Buffaloman Mattel sculpts. If you look closely at the pictures they have that finish prototypes often have (so maybe Mattel did have enough time to sculpt a couple of MUSLE figures). I dont know the correct terminology but I see this "finish" often in soft vinyl figures.

That would be one heck of a collectors item for me! (prototypes).

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   87.99K   0 downloads
  • Attached File  3.jpg   131.5K   0 downloads
  • Attached File  4.jpg   83.78K   0 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   147.15K   0 downloads

Edited by kayfabe1985, 04 July 2017 - 03:31 AM.

#3 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:39 AM

The second page left more to discuss for collectors back in the day. The sculpts that never made the line are surprisingly so prominently displayed! You can check the UofM blog for the specific figures/names etc.

I circled the figures in red I spotted :)

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   142.34K   1 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   72.61K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  1.jpg   145.99K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  3.jpg   133.09K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  4.jpg   94.7K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  5.jpg   109.42K   1 downloads

#4 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:49 AM

Pages 3 and Pages 4 had all the accessories which became staples of line: The 28 Pack,The 4 Pack,The Garbage Can, The Belt & Ring (except for the board game).

This description was interesting because it did not take into account Satan Cross & two ring figures: "Kids can easily collect all 233 of these beastly brawlers"

The word "easily"...hahaha

I wish I owned that 4 pack toy display!

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   98.08K   1 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   146.43K   1 downloads
  • Attached File  3.jpg   142.86K   0 downloads
  • Attached File  4.jpg   111.38K   0 downloads
  • Attached File  5.jpg   97.71K   0 downloads

#5 Bones

Bones

Deep Throat

• Grounded
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:12 AM

I've been looking for this for some time but only find beat up versions for $40+

#6 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:43 AM

My catalog was also listed at $40 but the seller accepted offers and he accepted mine for $19.99.

It's in great condition and according to the seller belonged to someone who worked at Mattel (not sure about this). I am now looking for the 1987 catalog.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com