35 replies to this topic

#26 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:57 PM

Here's the thing (and then we should probably let the topic get back on point... I'm just as guilty):

As a fighter, you assumer certain risks when you pursue that line of work. You learn lots of things, but the most helpful are footwork and defense. Ronda didn't really display either.

As for Ali, that's a whole other conversation... But, I fought semi-pro for ten years, and never got a concussion. I attribute that less to "holy crap, look how awesome I am", and way more to the fact that I was super tentative about taking damage to the point of training my defensive strategies as much or more as my offensive ones. You look at a fighter like Dominick Cruz, and you see a guy who is going to have all of his faculties for a very long time. Marching right towards your opponent in a straight line with your hands down, especially when that opponent has a high striking pedigree, is either a sign of massive hubris or just piss-poor planning.

#27 OneTallPonderosa

OneTallPonderosa

OCD Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts
  • Interests:MUSCLE, LEGO, MIMP, Ballpoint Pens, Insects, Coins, Books

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:11 PM

I understand Will Smith played him, that the entire point I was making - related to Ronda leaving the ring to pursue acting..........

Wait... by that logic, shouldn't your final sentence be "All I know - I would rather be Cassius Clay then Will Smith."?

You must have entirely missed the point I was attempting to make. 

I meant I  would rather portray a fighter and never get hit and keep my brain intact, then be the actual fighter and end up with brain related trauma and have my old age be addled. Hence I was relating it back to Ronda leaving the ring for acting, and saying I think that is a good move, or at least one I completely understand.

Hence why I was saying if you use your fame gathered by fighting, and leave early to pursue a career in acting (or music, or game show host - whatever) - more power to you for considering the long term impacts.  Same with professional football players.  Why not leverage that into something less detrimental to your health?

Now please don't get me wrong.  I have respect for anyone who is a champion at anything.  I am not putting down fighters, boxers, MMA, etc. or saying people shouldn't choose those lifestyles.  And I certainly cannot fight, play sports, or act myself. All I was saying was I completely understand the desire to leave a dangerous profession for one much less dangerous.

AND in an attempt to bring this full circle to the original topic - I personally think Ronda is hot so I welcome her in an action starring role.  However, she may in fact be horrible at acting itself - I have no clue.

Edited by OneTallPonderosa, 26 February 2016 - 06:13 PM.

Check out my want list: http://www.littlerub...howtopic=269336

I am always looking for more Robin Mask #214, Sunshine, Announcer, Claw, and Parthenon - MUSCLE or KESHI of any type!

LETS MAKE A DEAL! :ph34r:

#28 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:31 PM

Okay so you meant  "All I know - I would rather be Will Smith  than Cassius Clay."?

#29 TinyPink

TinyPink

Vengeful Ghost of Bubba Ritter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1551 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:39 PM

Okay so you meant  "All I know - I would rather be Will Smith  than Cassius Clay."?

I was biting my lip about the then/than thing...

:notme:

Welcomed currency:  Rubber Uglies, rubber monsters, jigglers, vinyl monsters, Arco monsters, Imperial monsters, fish cans....

#30 OneTallPonderosa

OneTallPonderosa

OCD Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:36 PM

Aah I see I see. So you knew what I meant the whole time but were just giving me a hard time because of my typo.  I didn't catch that before.

Gotcha. I did mean than.

Edited by OneTallPonderosa, 26 February 2016 - 07:39 PM.

I am always looking for more Robin Mask #214, Sunshine, Announcer, Claw, and Parthenon - MUSCLE or KESHI of any type!

#31 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:52 PM

Yeah, I'm a jerk... but your sentence meant something completely different with the typo. Nice to meet you by the way.

#32 OneTallPonderosa

OneTallPonderosa

OCD Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:04 PM

Yeah, I'm a jerk... but your sentence meant something completely different with the typo. Nice to meet you by the way.

Ha, no worries man. It certainly did mean something entirely different than what I intended, I just missed what you were laying down. I must need to practice my own reading comprehension - time to drag out my Butter Battle Book................. :blink:

On a related note and maybe partially kind of almost getting back on topic..............lots and lots of athletes from many sports have made the transition to the big screen.  Is it possible anyone in history has ever done the opposite?  I highly doubt it, but I guess its possible?

Edited by OneTallPonderosa, 26 February 2016 - 08:07 PM.

#33 TinyPink

TinyPink

Vengeful Ghost of Bubba Ritter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1551 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:22 AM

Yeah, I'm a snarky jerk that sculpts some really neat monsters.

Fixed.

Welcomed currency:  Rubber Uglies, rubber monsters, jigglers, vinyl monsters, Arco monsters, Imperial monsters, fish cans....

#34 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:28 AM

Mickey Rourke tried... But, there's a certain farcical value to his attempt at professional boxing.

As for "I'd rather", that completely depends on what kind of person you are on the inside and/or what your background looks like. For me, I like the test that combat sports provide. I's like playing a tournament Street Fighter game, with the stakes way up. If you don't understand, that's totally cool... But it takes all kinds, man. I can't speak to everybody, but for me, I couldn't get into the idea of pretending to be a fighter. Then again, it's rare for me to be able to watch an action movie where I'm not completely turned off by how fake and illogical everything looks in the fight scenes.

#35 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:28 AM

Everybody, meet Luke.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#36 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:43 AM

Stow it, Air Canada

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com