1 reply to this topic

#1 Orodruin

Orodruin

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:10 AM

I'm curious what kind of paints you all use for custom BBs. I've made some custom TFs and for small areas like on a BB I've used acrylics (Citadel brand from Games Workshop) and it works pretty well.

Now the trickier question- if I want to chop parts off a figure and attach them to another (the recent custom with the added horns and wings- sorry, can't remember who made it :D) how should I go about that? Are there tricks to the cutting and is there a preferred type of glue to attach them to the new figure? I'm actually planning on a custom TF PVC first, but I've got BBs planned too.
the Hot Rod collector
general TF nuts
BB upstart

Posted Image

#2 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Battle Beast minmates, Armorvors, Hot Sauce, Tea, Pearl Jam, Films, Camers, Animals, Chameleons and lizards

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:39 AM

I always use acrylics on my figures when I am painting them. I have tried enamels on figures before, and they dry too tacky. I hate them. As for the brand, I typically stick with Apple Barrel, Folk Art or Delta Ceramcoat. The Delta Ceramcoat is my least favorite as the paint is a little too heavy and thick at times, but other than that, all three are good paints. And you can pick them up at Walmart for around 50 cents a bottle. I usually spray a coat or two of Flat Topcoat (Testor's) to protect the paint job afterwards.

As for cutting up Battle Beasts, they are made with a pretty soft PVC rubbery plastic. If you use a good sharp Xacto knife, you should be able to cut them with no problem. If you are having problems getting a good clean cut on a figure because the plastic is a little too hard for you, you can actually boil the figure. I do it quite a bit actually with figures that give me a hard time. Just stick the figure into some boiling water just for a little bit until the figure gets really bendy. The knife will then just slide right through the figure with very little resistance, and if you keep a watch on the figure and don't let it just sit in the water, it won't damage a thing.

As for pieces to make new animals, look around everywhere you can for little animal toys. I have found pieces to use all over the place from Walmart to Michael's craft stores. I even search through gift shops when I go on vacation to see if there are any pieces I can't get at home. Like just last week I was in Florida, and I found several figures to use for customs at the gift shop at Sea World, including one to make a Manta Ray custom which I have been wanting for a while now.

Have fun making customs! Looking forward to your work.

Eric

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com