2 replies to this topic

#1 TheRiddler

TheRiddler

????????????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:05 AM

I have these 2 figures and was wondering a few things you guys might be able to answer. First, does each symbol appear on all 3 of the sculpts? The one site where I found these shows 3 different sculpts each with their own symbol. Second, what do they say?

Just realized the sculpt I have isn't even on there...so what's the deal with these anyone know?

Attached Files

Edited by TheRiddler, 27 November 2014 - 10:08 AM.

#2 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:02 PM

I have a bunch of these too, always wondered what they said. I always assumed they were Mahjong characters, I know they are just knockoff figure from gacha machines. I have different sized figures too. Ill see if i can pull mine out.

• Red (紅中/红中, pinyin hóng zhōng, Japanese 中 romaji chun) - a tile with a red traditional Chinese character () or a red dragon. Some sets may also have a black letter C in a corner of the tile, denoting the first letter of the Wade-Giles romanization of 中 (chung).
  • Green (青發/青发, pinyin qīng fā, Japanese 發 romaji hatsu) - a tile with a green traditional Chinese character (), even for sets where the Character tiles are written in simplified Chinese. Often the variant character U+24F35 (癶 over 弓矢 instead of 弓殳) is used. Because of its meaning (發財/发财, pinyin fā cái loosely means "to strike it rich"), a giant Green Dragon tile serves as a good luck charm in many Chinese households. Some sets, notably American, use a green dragon in place of the character. Some sets may also have a black letter F in a corner of the tile, denoting the first letter of the Wade-Giles romanization of 發 (fa), despite the fact that many believe that the F is taken from a form of Cantonese romanization (fat).
  • White (白板, pinyin bái bǎn, Japanese 白 romaji haku or shiro) - a tile which can be without any markings (), although most modern sets employ tiles with a blue border to distinguish them from replacement tiles. Some sets may also have a black letter B in the center of the tile, denoting the first letter of the Wade-Giles romanization of 白 (bai). Japanese tiles of this kind have no mark on them, and are occasionally dubbed tofu (bean curd) in some Japanese mahjong clubs.

The use of the term "dragons" in the West is incorrect. The tiles represent 3 forms of life: the red dragon tile (hóngzhong) symbolizes the animal order, which includes humans and dragons; the green dragon tile (qingfa), symbolizes the plant order; and the white dragon tile ( báipí), symbolizes spiritual beings.

Edited by Ericnilla, 27 November 2014 - 12:06 PM.

#3 TheRiddler

TheRiddler

????????????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 12:23 PM

Thats awesome! I have never seen any of the taller ones! I got these in random lots over the lat few months along with a bunch of weird little chibi boots!

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com