• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:26 AM

Rokk informed me that BigBadToyStore had the Microman Godzilla 2-packs for only $20, so I immediately picked up a set. For the uninitiated, the Microman Godzilla line features Microman figures that can be placed into rubbery monster suits to mimic the "man-in-suit" kaiju in the movies. I'm poor right now so I was only able to get one set, and had to choose between Godzilla (60's)/Ghidorah and Megalon/Jet Jaguar. Since Jet Jaguar toys are few and far between, I chose that set.

(A side note: Jet was a Godzilla ally in Godzilla vs. Megalon. He seemed to be Toho's answer to Ultraman, as the character could increase in size to battle monsters. He is pretty obscure, but I think he's one of the coolest Godzilla characters.)

My previous review covered the Microman Godzilla FW, and my major complaint with that piece was that it was virtually impossible to put the Microman figure in the suit. Does this set experience the same problems?

Company: Takara
Size: 4" scale
Price: $20 (although you can get them for a scant $16 at BigBadToyStore)
Packaging: Carded (but the packaging, as is the case with most Japanese toys, is boring and destined for the garbage)
Pics: at BigBadToyStore.com (more of my own to come tonight)

Looks: 4.5/5
The Microman figures are standard Microman fare: relatively boring, simplistic designs. But I didn't buy the set for the Microman figures, I bought it for the suits, and I certainly wasn't disappointed. The detail on the suits is amazing, and the proportions are incredibly accurate (Megalon in particular really looks like a guy in a suit, which is good). The paint is applied well, and the colors are fantastic. Jet Jaguar, in particular, has metallic, rubbery sheen that seems to perfectly match his movie incarnation.

Articulation: Micromen: 5/5, in suits: 1/5
As Micromen, the figures have the usual amazing articulation. But in the suits, they can barely move at all. The rubber of the suits is thicker than the Godzilla FW figure, restricting the movement of the figures. The necks , wrists and ankles move, and you might be able to tweak out some shoulder articulation (and maybe knees for Jet) without some pieces falling off, but that's about it.

Accessories: 5/5
Assuming the suits are accessories, they are the most awesome accessories ever. I'm a big fan of figures with removable helmets, but these kaiju suits take the concept to a whole new level. Also, the figures come with stands and extra hands.

Value: 4/5
At $20, the price is certainly reasonable for the complexity of the toy. At the new price of $16, this set is a friggin' steal!

Coolness: 3/5
Given the fact that both Megalon and Jet Jaguar suits come in pieces, I was hoping that the costumes would be easier to get on and off. They are easier, but unfortunately, the effort required to disassemble the figure, get the parts in the pieces of the suit, and reassemble the figure in-suit is entirely unreasonable. I spent a good half-hour trying to get those bastitchs in their suits, and now that they're in, they will never be removed.

That said, the impressive sculpts and paint apps, the nifty rubbery feel, and the relative obscurity of the characters evens-out the coolness of the set.

Overall: 4/5
This is a great set, but definitely not for kids. I have no idea how a kid would be able to put those Micromen in the suits. Still, the "man-in-suit" concept is awesome, even though it doesn't translate all that well into this scale.

#2 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:38 AM

I'm holding out for Gigan and Megalon, myself.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:44 AM

I doubt that Takara's going to attempt more of these after they seemingly failed (the last I heard of a new Godzilla Microman was the same time these were announced, a Kaiser Ghidorah figure), and I wouldn't mind at all. BBTS may have had them discounted to $16 (the FW and 54 Godzillas are only $10), but full retail on these is normally $40, and it's too much for clunky suit figures. I've also maintained that, while the choice of kaiju was amazing, Megalon simply looks hideous with the deformed claws, opened wings, and a head that looks more like a helmet, with no neck.

In case you possibly didn't notice, I'm a teensy bit burnt on these guys. :ulp:

Edited by Boaconda, 03 May 2005 - 07:45 AM.

#4 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:26 AM

I think you're right in that there probably won't be many more Microman kaiju. It doesn't seem to have sold particularly well.

As for your complaints about Megalon, I agree with some of your points. Let's examine the figure more closely with a reference photo:

Megalon (movie) vs. Megalon Microman

(the last picture is from this article at Microman Forever with some pretty good pics of the figures)

The movie reference doesn't seem to have a neck, so I think the Microman version is accurate in that case. However, the Microman head is a bit off, mainly because the mandibles are too pronounced. The claws seem a bit too small on the Microman figure. I don't have a problem with the wings, and I think they look pretty cool.

But I agree in that $40 for this set is absolutely absurd. If that's what Takara was asking, I have no doubt that the price killed the line.

Attached Files

#5 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:58 AM

I think it's the lack of a transition from head to body that hurt the look of the head as well (you can see that part pretty well in the suit photo), but definitely the mandibles. Speaking of the mandibles, but on a different tangent, it would have been extremely amusing if Megalon came with a napalm bomb accessory! You hit it spot-on with the arms, and the hideous straightened pose only makes it worse.

The wings were really just a minor quibble I had with the figure (they're kept closed unless flying), but it's a minor flaw on top of several other, bigger ones. Jet Jaguar is definitely the crown jewel of the Microman figures, but mostly by default - he's the most human and therefore looks best within the costume.

If there's any set that might cause me to reconsider picking up the Microman Godzilla stuff, it's probably these (unless Kaiser Ghid is released and blows the others away). I would have far preferred the AVP approach, which was what I originally expected - the monsters sculpted as super-posable Microman figures, not suits to be worn by them.

#6 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 10:52 AM

The Microman Megalon looks to much like, well, a Microman, and not enough like Megalon. It's something about the body proportions - Megalon has a pretty long torso and pretty short legs.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 Rokk

Rokk

Alton Brown's Evil Twin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:42 PM

Great review, Nathan. I agree that Takara will probably not do anymore Kaiju Microman toys. This line did terrible. It is the first new Microman toyline that didn't do well. I feel that there were three huge reasons for this.

First, the price. $40 per set is just pinheaded. Nobody in their right mind will shell out that kind of money for these figures. I'm a massive Microman nut and a big Godzilla fan, too. I didn't even think about buying these sets until BBTS ran their sweet sale on these figures.

Second, the sheer impossibility of trying to get the figures into the Kaiju suits really diminished my enjoyment of this toyline.

Third, it never appealed to either Godzilla fans or Microman fans. Godzilla fans didn't go for them because of the small scale and the frustrating nature of the Kaiju suits. Microman collectors didn't like this line because the Microman figures had to be extremely basic and generic in order to fit into the Kaiju suits. So, basically you were buying generic looking extremely boring Material Force style Microman figures. Don't judge Microman figures based on these boring guys. There are much cooler looking Microman figures like the Bio Force Microman figures and the Road Spartan Microman figures.

Having said that, I think that the Kaiju suits looked great. And I loved the "man-in-suit" concept. Very cool.

Edited by Rokk, 03 May 2005 - 12:44 PM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com