6 replies to this topic

#1 ToyManiac

ToyManiac

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 01:32 PM

I know Garbage Pail Kids cards aren't exactly toys but hey, they spawned garbage can Pop-Up toys and the muscle-like Cheap Toys in the '80s, to name a few, so I thought I would mention it here.

Anyways, with the recent comeback success of the All-New Series One release back in August of last year, Topps is releasing the follow-up to that with an All-New Series Two coming this March. More details with some pics of the new artwork can be found here.

Anybody else here excited to see that more GPK cards are coming??? :huh:

#2 Sniper33

Sniper33

Local Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2912 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 01:37 PM

Im pretty sure that it has been known already. There was even a review on this board in the review section....unless you are talking about something completly different here.

Posted Image

#3 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 01:51 PM

Yup, he is talking about something completely different. This topic is about the second new series, while the review covers only the first series.

Hopefully Topps gets rid of the extras in the current packs. The gum screwed up the cards sometimes, and besides... who needs four pieces of gum per pack?! The mini-stickers looked like crap and were entirely worthless. I wasn't a huge fan of the foil cards either, since they were redesigned to avoid looking like Cabbage Patch Kids. I really enjoyed the cards themselves, though, and I'm looking forward to the new series!

And adding stinky cards is a great idea! That'll be a blast! :huh:

-Nathan

Edited by Tortle, 06 January 2004 - 01:53 PM.

#4 Sniper33

Sniper33

Local Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2912 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 02:46 PM

My mistake, I took it as "next series" as the new ones that just came out.

Posted Image

#5 ToyManiac

ToyManiac

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 02:53 PM

Yeah, I wasn't too thrilled with the gum wrap around and foil stickers either. Either way it looks like the foil stickers are back with this next release. I would like to see one piece of strip gum (wrapped) included though. As I've seen mentioned before maybe they could make it like the old Bazooka Joe bubble gum and include a GPK mini-comic with the gum (since the new release didn't have comics or anything on the back of the cards; just puzzle pieces), that would be pretty cool.

Here's some more info on the new release from Diamond Comics.

#6 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 09:44 AM

Drat!!! I didn't get Britteny Spews or Harry Potty yet!!!! I have to buy more of these...

Yeah, the gum stickers sucked... they did this with the Simpsons line as well, and all I ever got were Maggies and Lisas...

Anyway, I am looking forward to EVEN more GBK's... I wish I had more when I was younger... Much like MUSCLES these things I never fully appreciated until it was too late... now we have them back! WOO! Well... GPK anyway... that's what I'm talking about.

I wonder what the chances of them puting the old cartoon on DVD or video are... pretty tame by today's standards...
Posted Image

#7 ToyManiac

ToyManiac

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 04:03 PM

I wonder what the chances of them puting the old cartoon on DVD or video are... pretty tame by today's standards...

The cartoon was set to air on CBS, as part of the Saturday morning cartoons line-up back in the late 80's, but it unfortunately never aired due to protesting parents. (Wow, I can almost bet the GPK cartoon would have seemed like the 'Care Bears' or something, when compared to today's 'South Park')

The only remains of the cartoon that have been found are bootleg versions, of I think maybe 6 episodes, and they are in Icelandic (of all languages) with I think a couple episodes having English subtitles. I've seen these bootleg episodes being sold on eBay with a bootleg DVD version of the Garbage Pail Kids Movie (<--- A Classic! ^_^ )

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com