• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 01:47 PM

Amanaman... the Star Wars alien who resembles a banana with limbs, and was SUPPOSEDLY somewhere inside Jabba's palace.

One of 'em has been warming the shelf at the local Kay-Bee for months, so I finally bought it )Marked down in price). It came with Salacious Crumb, a spear with skulls, and a severely mangled corpse.

Anyway, here's my question... why?

The package says "Fan's choice no. 2!" Fans wanted ana ction figure of Amanaman over Darth Maul? (Coincidentally, the other Fans' choices are a half-naked Leia in salve outfit, half-naked Luke in bacta tank, and half-naked Darth Maul. Man, those tattoos are extensive).

Something is definitely amiss here.

Anyway, the banana with limbs is supposedly a bounty hunter/assasin, FEARED THROUGHOUT THE GALAXY!!! ...huh? His legs are smaller than my ankles, technically speaking, and his arms are so long and spindly that a child could probably break him. Just how is this thing supposed to be a threat? Does it shoot lasers from its eyes? Telling from the condition that the mangled skeleton is in, I'd actually guess something like that. My only real guess is that some crazed fan declared the Amanaman to be his Patron Star wars Saint, and wrote a long, detailed history of him, getting it published in some Star Wars novel or guide.

So, what does all of this prove? Star Wars Fans Will Buy Anything.

Attached Files

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 02:13 PM

Well, it's all in someone's preference. I personally like the new Amanaman figure, as well as the old one. I love the nifty, abstract aliens in Star Wars like Amanaman.

Anyway, the banana with limbs is supposedly a bounty hunter/assasin, FEARED THROUGHOUT THE GALAXY!!!

I agree to what you seem to mention: the tendency of fans/novelists/RPGs to explain the history of every single background character in Star Wars is very annoying. Every background alien has to be a feared bounty hunter or a rebel spy or something. Give me a break...

Besides, part of the fun for me as a kid was creating the personalities and histories of these aliens (sort of like what I did with MUSCLEs).

(Coincidentally, the other Fans' choices are a half-naked Leia in salve outfit, half-naked Luke in bacta tank, and half-naked Darth Maul.

Not exactly... the first Fans Choice was Duros (an equally obscure Cantina alien), and the upcoming one is Ephont Mon (again, an obscure alien). Amanaman was just put in an assortment of Deluxe figures, since he was a bit bigger than normal figures.

So, what does all of this prove? Star Wars Fans Will Buy Anything.

I personally only buy interesting aliens like Amanaman. I couldn't give a crap about another friggin' Luke figure, or another damned Maul. But, that's my preference. Of course, other fans love multiple Maul sculpts. I really have no idea why...

But you're right. Star Wars fans DO buy anything Star Wars related. They complain about certain toys but buy them anyway because they want a "complete collection". Apparently, they want a complete collection of things they don't like. Hm. Very interesting from a psychological standpoint.

-Nathan

#3 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 02:17 PM

I would think Banannamannammannaman would be a popular figure for a remake, because the original is freakin expensive. He was short run and "rare" so he costs a grip. But I too have seen Banannamannammannaman sitting on shelves, overproduced (got mine for $2.99). So something is amiss in star wars land.

#4 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts
  • Interests:Muscle men, and Kinnikuman

Posted 19 August 2002 - 02:24 PM

I only have a select few Star wars character toys, a Admiral Ackbar, a pig snouted warrior thingy, and a 18" Darth maul doll from Okinawa. I like the look of some of the new characters, and to be honest the guy you have posted here looks pretty cool, but there are too many cool things out there to collect them all, I no longer collect new and cool toys, but if I did, I would want the whole collection. I may pick up the Plo Kloon action figure just cause I think he is cool.

#5 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 02:33 PM

You know, the thing is, I agree with Nathan. I only buy the "weird: SW figures- Amanaman, Acklay, geonosian, that fat blue guy- the hammerhead, etc. I love 'em. And I like the Amanaman, but most of that is because of it's sheer dementedness.

Oh- and the half-naked Leia, Luka, and Maul are the figures listed on the back of the package.

...And I refuse to buy a Darth Maul.:wub: That comment was based on my knwoledge of fan's preferences.

#6 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 04:29 PM

Amanaman will save us!

Attached Files

#7 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 07:12 PM

Check out this Amanaman prototype model for Return of the Jedi. I think it really brings out more of a "tapeworm" or "leech" feel to him. Also, check out the blood running out from his mouth!

-Nathan

Attached Files

#8 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 09:57 PM

But still... that is a feared assassin?

IT'S A BANANA!

#9 Doctor Dew

Doctor Dew

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 11:18 PM

all i can say is "remember that cartoon Banana Man"?
he got his powers when he ate a banana. talk about a healthy message for kids. that was a cool cartoon......

and that Star Wars dude DOES look like a banana. Yes, a banana that appears to be bleeding, but a banana none the less.

:angry:

#10 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 01:31 AM

#1: Natural selection would kill something looking like that. I'm not saying that it would simply die out, I'm saying that Natural Selection would walk on over and punch it in the face.

#2: The secret to being an assassin is the ability to blend in with a crowd. This statement needs no further comment.

#11 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 06:06 AM

#1: Natural selection would kill something looking like that. I'm not saying that it would simply die out, I'm saying that Natural Selection would walk on over and punch it in the face.

Natural selection depends on the environment in which animals live. Some creatures succeed in certain environments because they have evolved into a niche. For example, the Dodo bird was fat, slow, and unsuspecting of predators... which was great for its niche, until humans came along and hunted the Dodos and destroyed their environment. So, in a way, anything is really possible from an evolutionary standpoint.

That said, let's not kid ourselves. Star Wars has NO (I repeat, NO) basis in any kind of respectable science. The starships are aerodynamic jokes, the weapons make no sense, and you're right, the creatures are evolutionary contradictions. But, that's how George wanted the series.... more as a fantasy than as science fiction. The ships and aliens are designed to "look cool", not be practical.

The real problem is with the fans/novelists who try to develop back stories and scientifically explain things in the Star Wars universe (a cross-section model of a lightsaber I saw recently seems to come to mind here...).

-Nathan

PS - And don't downplay banana assassins. If Amanaman was lying on the deck of Jabba's Sail Barge and Luke stepped on him, Luke would have slipped and crashed to the floor, knocking himself out. Now, if that's not the action of a feared assassin, I don't know what is! :angry:

#12 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 20 August 2002 - 06:45 PM

Respectable science in Star Wars?

Realistically speraking, all of the ewoks should be dead- the Death Star was in LOW orbit, and its desgtruction would logically cause a nuclear winter and rain firey death upon the unsuspecting teddy bears.

#13 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 06:02 AM

Don't think too much about it... you can probably find hundreds of flaws in the Star Wars movies. For example, in Empire Strikes Back:

-Luke goes to Dagobah to train. His training seems to last a relatively long time, as in multiple days (it seemed to be night when Luke was in Yoda's hut, but it was day in the next scene).

-At the same time, Han and Leia are running from the Star Destroyers into asteroids and stuff. This chase couldn't take more than a few hours.

So, which is the correct time period? In the movie, both last the same amount of time, but they seem to be incongruous. Was Luke training with Yoda for just a few hours (if so, how could he have learned ANYTHING?), or were Han and Leia running from the Star Destroyers for a few days (if so, when did they sleep?)?

I always thought that was weird.

-Nathan

#14 DoctorKent

DoctorKent

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Interests:Rocks and Bugs and Things, Mordles, Robo Force, Glyos, Manglors

Posted 22 August 2002 - 08:51 AM

Amanaman was so underproduced in the original line that the fans really wanted him in the new line. Or was he overproduced but negated by the fact that he was one of the last figures? Who knows. One of my favorite figures classic and POTF2 is Bossk, and he's in the movie for about twenty seconds. Looked cool though - featured in some good appearances in the Marvel Comics. Zuckuss, Nikto, HammerHead...in the movie for a second, but awesome Cobra operatives.

DoctorKent
http://doctorkent.tripod.com/gateway
About me - sort of.
DoctorKent - the once and future master of ROCKS AND BUGS AND THINGS! now known as MORDLES.
Returning to your toy stories - 2013.
www.toyfinity.com

#15 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 11:33 AM

Cobra operative?

QUick! Someone call for GI Joe!

#16 DoctorKent

DoctorKent

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 12:10 PM

Cobra operative?

QUick! Someone call for GI Joe!

Yo Joe!

Seriously, when we played as kids, we mixed everything together that was the same scale. Nothign like Gi Joe versus the Remco Wolfman when he teamed up with the Pocket Heroes Hulk and Antron from Micronauts.

DoctorKent
DoctorKent - the once and future master of ROCKS AND BUGS AND THINGS! now known as MORDLES.
www.toyfinity.com

#17 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 05:54 PM

You only played with toys that were the same scale?

#18 DoctorKent

DoctorKent

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 04:59 AM

You only played with toys that were the same scale?

Inside of the same storylines, sure. Sometimes maybe Skeletor would challenge the GoBots to a war, but that was rather uncommon.

DoctorKent
www.toyfinity.com

#19 Krangala

Krangala

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 04:30 AM

Uhh, I think he does quite well blending in with the crowd in Jabba's palace......blink, and you miss him........

if that aint a freaky occurrence I don't know what is......

how the hell do you miss a twelve foot banana????? ;)

#20 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 03:01 PM

If the thirteen-foot cucumber is threatening you, you won't notice the banana.

#21 Krangala

Krangala

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 12 September 2002 - 11:40 PM

BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!

:D B) :o

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com