• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#51 bot3ro

bot3ro

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts - Laser Beasts - Beast Saga - Nintendo - Photography - Travel - Scuba Diving - Football

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:49 AM

Looks awesome! Great job, can see that you've put some hours into fixing up the poster.

#52 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:41 AM

Thanks guys! 

Regarding the poster itself, optimus posted a question over in my Blog Launch thread asking about getting the poster printed, so for those watching this thread I'll just quote myself and save some time (which feels kind of weird, but whatever)

All of the restorations I'll be posting on the site are secured PDFs to lock printing and editing, and they aren't print resolution, just large enough to be able to zoom in and enjoy on-screen. There are many reasons to post them as PDFs (file size, portability, etc) but I also realized that if I posted unlocked full-res images on the public domain it'd only be a matter of time before I saw them listed on eBay.This might not be as much of an issue for the retail packaging, but for things like posters and trading cards there's too much potential for bootlegging and I just wouldn't want them getting into the wrong hands. No lack of time and effort has gone into this project, so seeing someone steal my work and profit from it would be discouraging to say the least.

I do keep full 600dpi scans of the originals and there are a few places on the site where I mention to contact me if you'd like to use any of the imagery for special projects. A few guys have already spoken up about wanting to get a full-sized printed copy before I was even done with the restoration, so I'm going to find out more details about what everyone wants and the cost of making that happen as cheap as possible.

So everyone who wanted a printed poster, would you rather have it at the original size, or with a white matte around it to fit a 24x36 poster frame? I ask because the original is an odd size so finding a frame isn't easy. Anyway also drop me a PM if you want a printed poster so I can keep track and I'll post progress updates in this thread. Eventually I might set up some sort of a store option on Forming the Beast to handle this, but for now I'll just do it the old fashioned way.

#53 Timpopkid

Timpopkid

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:34 AM

Original size would be my preference, but I'm happy with either

Instagram / Twitter: @TimPopKid

#54 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:37 AM

Original size would be my preference, but I'm happy with either

to clarify, the actual image would be the same size regardless, I'd just increase the canvas size to make it fit the frame. Even with the frame I found closest to the size of the original (can't recall what it was at the moment) there is still a 2" gap on either side of the image.

Edited by bachamn, 27 March 2015 - 08:38 AM.

#55 FANtomCore

FANtomCore

FANtom-2-da-Core/Conceptor/Scanner/Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, SD Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, God Beasts, War Monsters, Beast Saga, Battle Beasts Minimates, Armorvors, Rise of the Beasts / MUSCLE, Ultimate Muscle, Kinnikuman.

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:13 AM

Well if you can print out the full image with some additional borders around it to get it to fit into the more common size poster frames, then that is fine. One could always cut off the borders if they want an exact size. I vote a white matte around it to fit a 24x36 poster frame.

What I like to collect (click below)
Spoiler
"Every passion borders on the chaotic, but the collector's passion borders on the chaos of memories."
-Walter Benjamin

All toys came from the original One Toy :p

#56 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Battle Beast minmates, Armorvors, Hot Sauce, Tea, Pearl Jam, Films, Camers, Animals, Chameleons and lizards

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:18 PM

Bachamn, great job on this! It looks fantastic! I would love to get one of these printed. I like the idea of having the white matte around it for two reasons. The original is a really weird size (in my frame, I have put some of the japanese fold out pamphlets above and below the poster), and it also identifies the reproduction from an original.

Since this scan is of the Japanese poster, would anyone be interested in a scan of the US poster?  I actually have an American/Hasbro Battle Beast poster that is in mint condition. I actually purchased it from an employee that worked on the Battle Beast line with Hasbro at the time, and it was his personal copy that was uncirculated/unshipped, so it was never folded, rolled up or anything like that. Just straight from the printer to him to me without being shipped. So no creases to deal with. Because of its condition, I would be hesitant to ship it anywhere, however I could take it up to work were we have some pretty good scanners that I could use.

Eric

#57 bot3ro

bot3ro

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts - Laser Beasts - Beast Saga - Nintendo - Photography - Travel - Scuba Diving - Football

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:49 PM

bachmann; I would go for a poster with white borders.

koppenschevelle: I think it would be interesting with a US poster as well. At least for me.

#58 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:17 AM

On the note of repro, I think whoever prints them should sign the back of the poster or something to signify it being A repro.
<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#59 mca19

mca19

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Mainly Battle Beasts/Laser Beasts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 12:23 PM

I have interest in a USA one but depending on cost, I think I would consider both. I think these will be in my kids playroom with their toys so I don't even know that I would go the framing route so I won't vote there, whatever size is voted on works for me.

Absolutely great job Bachamn. I hope someone considers the English version as well

#60 optimusdrizzt

optimusdrizzt

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Playing addicting video games, anime, MUSCLE, megaman, snarf from Thundercats, guts,and Battle Beasts. Really any smaller figure from the 80s/90s.

Posted 29 March 2015 - 07:15 AM

I'm all for the reworked size, easier to frame the better!

Always Looking for Battle Beasts PM if you got extras!!!!

#61 108KickBack

108KickBack

Beast-Former Gatherer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:Laser Beasts, Battle Beasts,Anything Beastformer, Insects,Bugs and arachnids.

Posted 29 March 2015 - 08:10 PM

Great job on that Bachamn!

#62 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:14 PM

thanks everyone, I'm glad to see it's been well received. Looks like consensus is to print it with a white-matte at 24x36, so if you want one without the white around it you can just trim off the excess and have the original dimensions. I'm planning on doing a first test print this week on my office printer and will post results. I'm hoping this will be satisfactory as it's the cheapest option. 

If you're interested in getting a printed restorerd Japanese version please PM with the subject Poster so I can keep track of requests. 

On the note of repro, I think whoever prints them should sign the back of the poster or something to signify it being A repro.

the version that I'll be printing will have a small Forming the Beast logo in the bottom-left corner (like the scanned version on my site). Not intrusive and counter balances the Takara logo on the bottom-right corner. But if you really want my signature I'll do that too ;)

I actually have an American/Hasbro Battle Beast poster that is in mint condition. I actually purchased it from an employee that worked on the Battle Beast line with Hasbro at the time, and it was his personal copy that was uncirculated/unshipped, so it was never folded, rolled up or anything like that. Just straight from the printer to him to me without being shipped.

this is amazing btw! Id love to have a digital copy of the US version just for reference purposes.

Edited by bachamn, 30 March 2015 - 04:17 PM.

#63 Flashbax

Flashbax

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Head writer/editor for ToyRobot Magazine

Owner at Flashbax Toy Store

Transformers, Transforming robots, Godzilla, Dino Riders, D&D

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:29 AM

I think I need to make a trip to my local printer here in town! This is mind blowing good work man.

Edited by Flashbax, 06 April 2015 - 10:29 AM.

Just a dude that loves collecting

#64 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:56 AM

I think I need to make a trip to my local printer here in town! This is mind blowing good work man.

thanks man. To clarify though, the version posted to my site isn't full res, and is actually locked to prevent printing. I'm doing full-sized prints for folks though so drop me a PM if you'd like to be on that list. For everyone else who has already contacted me, I still need to get the first test print done. Work has been pretty busy lately so I didn't have the chance to get to it last week. Aiming to get it done this week and post an update.

#65 Flashbax

Flashbax

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:00 PM

thanks man. To clarify though, the version posted to my site isn't full res, and is actually locked to prevent printing. I'm doing full-sized prints for folks though so drop me a PM if you'd like to be on that list. For everyone else who has already contacted me, I still need to get the first test print done. Work has been pretty busy lately so I didn't have the chance to get to it last week. Aiming to get it done this week and post an update.

hitting you up for a quote

#66 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:07 AM

The first poster has been printed and it looks great! I'm also very happy to announce that printing from my office was a success, which is awesome because taking them somewhere to print was likely going to be expensive; this way my only costs will be ink and paper. 

This evening I'm going to look into shipping tube costs and should be able to post a price by tomorrow. 

poster-print-1.jpg

Edited by bachamn, 14 April 2015 - 08:31 AM.

#67 optimusdrizzt

optimusdrizzt

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Playing addicting video games, anime, MUSCLE, megaman, snarf from Thundercats, guts,and Battle Beasts. Really any smaller figure from the 80s/90s.

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:16 AM

It looks awesome and has that poster shine. I am super impressed.

Always Looking for Battle Beasts PM if you got extras!!!!

#68 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:19 AM

Jeeeeeeeeesus that looks good.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#69 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:30 AM

It looks awesome and has that poster shine. I am super impressed.

I'm printing on semi-gloss photo paper so the posters will be thick and have the look and feel of an actual poster.

Here's the first pull hanging up. still need to trim the ends down to make it 36", paper width is 24" already so that's convenient ;)

excuse the crappy photo, my phone camera kind of sucks.

poster-print-2.jpg

Edited by bachamn, 08 April 2015 - 11:33 AM.

#70 RattleClaw

RattleClaw

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:41 PM

That is incredible work!

#71 bot3ro

bot3ro

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:58 PM

Looks awsome! Can't wait to get this up on my wall!

#72 Flashbax

Flashbax

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:47 PM

Looks awsome! Can't wait to get this up on my wall!

Same! This will look bad ass in my office

#73 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 07:47 PM

Nice!

How much?

#74 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:10 PM

Nice!

How much?

I was hoping to post a "shipped" price but shipping tubes are pricier than I thought so for the sake of moving things along, the initial price per poster will be $20+shipping costs (postage + tube). I've not shipped a poster tube before, but I'm guessing the final shipped price will be around $28. I'll post more details once I find out some specifics from the Post Office.

$28 shipped it is

Edited by bachamn, 09 April 2015 - 09:44 AM.

#75 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:04 AM

I was hoping to post a "shipped" price but shipping tubes are pricier than I thought so for the sake of moving things along, the initial price per poster will be $20+shipping costs (postage + tube). I've not shipped a poster tube before, but I'm guessing the final shipped price will be around $28. I'll post more details once I find out some specifics from the Post Office.

Anyone have any suggestions where to find some tubes at a reasonable price? 

Not sure about "reasonable" but have you looked at your local USPS, UPS, or fedex places?

<p> </p>
<p>

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com