Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Art challenge 17! Gormiti & Fistfull of Power!

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#51 DarrylWestley

DarrylWestley

www.monstercollecting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:03 PM

Sorry it took me a while to actually locate these progress shots! I am keen to see the result
of prints you get from this plate! Hopefully this will be a great reward for all that hard work.
I am also honored that my previous use of Lino Cut lit an old flame for you!

If I were to personally print the piece, 'a one off' nice experiment could be to roll three
different coloured streaks diagonally across the piece. Different shades of blue for example
to fit in with the 'water theme'. Another option is to overprint white ink on the top of an
initial blue layer (that might be a nice effect). Obviously its easy for me to suggest, this
would take even more time :/ Cleaning rollers etc if the inks mix (but then again it could
be nice to keep using them to get a different effect each time). Hmm maybe I will give
this a go myself :huh:

All the best, I look forward to seeing the prints (if you get around to staining the plate).
It is a daunting prospect that first inking up I understand why you mentioned you are
hesitant to do this.

Side story - The Jotun Troll print I first tried with Florescent Yellow acrylic paint. Kind of a
crazy move because of the quick drying action (it was a gamble that nearly resulted in a
damaged plate and unfortunately no good prints... eek). Florescent inks would rock.

holy crap. i don't know who to vote for now. every damn one of these are winners. and we haven't even seen reccoom's finished project. and he always comes in strong.

Thank you for the praise. I try to always bring something unique to these. I probably overdid it this time though.
First, there were the study sketches, all 11 of them adding up to about 35-40 hours PREPERATION. Then there was the scanning and 2" shrink-printing to fit the overhead projector and dry erase markers to plot and scale on 3'x3' pvc plate for 5 hours.

Then the over 30 hours of handcramping, backacheing carving.
Then the 3 hours of etching pointalism and 5 hours of dremel water effects, which really helped define the charachters.

All this and still no color, but this Print Plate can press copies indefinately once I get access to a college-grade press.I can ink the plate if these pics are too hard to make out.
Last is a pic of the figures (minus clawfull, which I don't have) that were featured in the piece, for scale.

I would like to give a big thanks to DarrylWesley for getting me thinking about print plates again, as they used to be my preferred medium what seems like ages ago. Also a shout to the makers of SPARKS energy beer, without wich the 20 hour art marathons wouldn't have been possible.

Edited by DarrylWestley, 04 March 2009 - 06:17 PM.

www.monstercollecting.com

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com