• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts (I migrated over from the Beastformers boards), the sciences, Baseball (Huge St. Louis Cardinals fan) and of course, women.

Posted 04 February 2005 - 09:42 AM

TGB & myself have been bouncing ideas back and forth about how to properly number the customs.

Now while it might seem logical to just continue number the customs where the original line dropped off, it's been working well so far, the main idea here is to include as many top-notch customs as possible from other kitbashers/customizers, not just TGB.

For example Koppensvelle is going to send his Pegasus to TGB for possible production and since the Pegasus is a BB proper (not a LB) it just doesn't seem logical to number him #117.

Here are some of the ideas that TGB & myself have bounced around:

1. Continue numbering the Custom Beasts as they are produced.

As simple and wonderful as that my sound, there are obvious problems with simply continuing the BB/LB numbering system.
First off, it is generally agreed that the Custom's should be at least somewhat segregated from the "official" BB's/LB's as to not confuse anyone and to show all members/fans that we want include more than just TGB's or Koppensvelle's customs into the fandom. (Although a certain criteria will have to be met for inclusion, but that's still up in the air as well).

2. Have a separate list for the Custom Beasts (CB):

The logic here is that we have BB's (#'s 1-76), then we have LB's (#'s 77-112), so now we can have CB's which would be numbered starting at c1. With "c" of course standing for "custom".

TGB has suggested that the CB list should be similar to what the BB/LB system followed; i.e. #'s c1-c76 should be custom BB's and #'s 77-infinity should be LB's, maybe with the possible inclusion of a "Special" BB #0.

3. Expand the guide to include Integers instead of being limited to only Real numbers

For those of you who were just terribly confused by what that means, it's basically suggesting that instead of going forward numerically, (1,2,3,...), we go backwards, (0, -1,-2,...). Although TGB has mentioned to me that there might be some techincal difficulties with the guide refusing to accept negative numbers so this idea probably won't work.

Those are the main ideas that are on the table as of now, but nothing is set in stone of course. So if anybody has any ideas by all means, spit 'em out!

Edited by Artimus Prime, 04 February 2005 - 09:45 AM.

Formally known as Artimus Prime

#2 Yom

Yom

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 10:01 AM

2. Have a separate list for the Custom Beasts (CB)

Good idea.

3. Expand the guide to include Integers instead of being limited to only Real numbers

Why not use what I said ? Starting at #999 and count down for example. Whith that, we can have 884 customs before we have a problem with numbers...
Ready for battle
Posted Image

#3 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts (I migrated over from the Beastformers boards), the sciences, Baseball (Huge St. Louis Cardinals fan) and of course, women.

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:32 AM

[quote name='Yom' date='Feb 4 2005, 10:01 AM'] [QUOTE]Why not use what I said ? Starting at #999 and count down for example. With that, we can have 884 customs before we have a problem with numbers... [/quote]
What you've suggested isn't a bad idea, but I think that if the custom numbering system began at #999 and continued numerically backwards it might be a little confusing and possibly intimidating for newer collectors.

As of right now, I'm preferring idea #2 of my original post.

#4 Yom

Yom

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:37 AM

So let's go for it ! :unsure:
Ready for battle
Posted Image

#5 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:42 AM

So let's go for it ! :unsure:

I appriciate and share your enthusiasum, but I feel the final say is up to TGB, Koppensvelle and the other "Top" custom builders out there.

What's your opinion Marty?

#6 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 12:01 PM

I like #2...

#c1-#c76 BB customs
#c77-+++ LB customs

Where does that leave the GODS?

Should the GOD BEASTS be #-less? They are the GODS!!!

My concern is that there needs to be a check and balance system...like a small pannel of trusted judges...that would vote yay or nay on entering each particular custom into the guide...otherwise...if it was merely up to JKaris, Lord, and I...we would end up having annimosity (<-I don't think I spelled that right) towards us.

I also don't want embarassment/discouragement from this whole custom guide thing...

Let's say someone puts a TON of work into a custom...but, the craftsmanship is poor (construction/painting) and it doesn't make the cut...is that person's feelings gonna be hurt? Are they going to be embarassed...

I REALLY think we need to ALL think this over BEFORE we make any huge decisions...

Maybe a simple poll...with there needing to be "X" number of "yes" before it can be entered...or a poll and the majority ruling...

I am not sure...

I would think JKaris, Lord and I would want to make the final decsion on want should be added... Seriously...what if we had 3 of the same animal/creature and they all looked great? Give them all the same #???

We REALLY need opinions here and to think this whole thing over BEFORE we do anything!!!

Maybe a poll, then a 5 judge pannel vote after the poll...so the poll being the first cut, then the judges being the determining factor???

Let's keep this discussion going for a while...

So far we have 3 opinions out of 78 members...

TGB

#7 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 12:05 PM

I will also say this...

Absolutely NO custom will be added if there is not clear, sharp photos, close up photos.

If someone cannot do that, they will have to ship (at their cost) their custom figure/figures (with return shipping provided by them) insured to someone that CAN take the photos!

I don't want either of our guides to have a bunch of fuzzy/dark photos...

I am NOT directing this towards anyone...hum...cough...gabe...cough...hum...john...hum..cough...he! He! hE! :lol: ;) :unsure:

TGB

#8 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 12:11 PM

Maybe a simple poll...with there needing to be "X" number of "yes" before it can be entered...or a poll and the majority ruling...

TGB

What would be better still is to not have a set number of "yes" votes, as opposed to a set percentage.

Statistical analysis would be very helpful to getting a more 'accurate' idea as to which customs should be made official.

Example:

As of today, (2/4/05) TGB's newest custom Power Possum has rung up a tally of 13 votes... 12 of which were "yah" and 1 of which was nay.

Statistically speaking, 92.31% of the voters are in favor of PP being an official custom, where as only 7.69% are (is) against....

The Baseball Hall Of Fame and many scientific studies are done this way.

This year Ryne Sandberg barley made it into the Baseball Hall Of Fame when he obtained 75% (which is the minimum) of the votes.

Maybe we could use a little math to help us define and choose which figures would be officially included...

#9 Yom

Yom

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 12:20 PM

Where does that leave the GODS?

GB1, GB2 and GB3

Let's say someone puts a TON of work into a custom...but, the craftsmanship is poor (construction/painting) and it doesn't make the cut...is that person's feelings gonna be hurt?  Are they going to be embarassed...

Or maybe, it gonna give a lot of motivation to do better.

Seriously...what if we had 3 of the same animal/creature and they all looked great?  Give them all the same #???

No, just 3 different #, because 3 differents creators. The interest is not in what the custom represent, but in the custom itself (am i clear ? :lol: ).

Concerning the judges, I would be interested to be one.
My motivation ?
- I have bought my first battle beasts in 1987, during a travel in England when I was a boy, and that was my favorite toys for years... well... still today... B)
- I have made no custom yet, so I don't give a look to customs as a "pro" could.
- I don't have any custom yet. I mean I don't buy any to anybody here. So I'm not corrupted for the moment. ;)
- I'm French ;) It has to be international !! :unsure:

*Waiting for other members point of view*

Edited by Yom, 04 February 2005 - 12:21 PM.

Ready for battle
Posted Image

#10 Gaara

Gaara

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 02:50 PM

1. Continue numbering the Custom Beasts as they are produced.

As you said: its alright with a small number of customs but if they get more and more figures it would become very confusing for starting collectors.

2. Have a separate list for the Custom Beasts (CB):

Very good idea! Its clear, organized and easy to expand. The best option in my opinion.

Don't like it at all!!! :lol: :unsure:
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#11 Gaara

Gaara

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:11 PM

What would be better still is to not have a set number of "yes" votes, as opposed to a set percentage.

A percentage won't be enough I think...

Lets take the Power Possum: there are more than 90% but only 13 voters, much to less. There has to be a minimum of voters to make the vote valid or something.

But there may be the next problem:
How many 'yes-voters' will make the vote valid?? If it is a number of voters, it has to grow with the number of members on this board but not every member is an active member! Oh my... this won't be easy. :unsure:
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#12 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:17 PM

I think judges are the answer...

I know MOST of the big time collectors...even the ones that DON'T collect customs...

I think this will all boil down to a 5-10 judge panel...

The poll system just isn't gonna fly...

TGB

Edited by THEGODBEAST, 04 February 2005 - 06:54 PM.

#13 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 04:12 PM

Oh my... this won't be easy.  :unsure:

You said it! :lol:

One thing I feel is VERY IMPORTANT for all this "official" nonsense is that the CB's that pass the grade should get molded and be availble for other collectors to purchase.

This is the definition of what a guide does; namely it tells people who are interested in collecting a given product what is out there to buy.

I feel this should be a staple for anything being considered.

Edited by Artimus Prime, 04 February 2005 - 04:13 PM.

#14 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Battle Beast minmates, Armorvors, Hot Sauce, Tea, Pearl Jam, Films, Camers, Animals, Chameleons and lizards

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:35 PM

Wow, so I have been sick for a day or so now, and really only have checked the boards once and man, there is a whole huge thread now that wasn't here before. Well, since I have seen my name pop up a couple times, I felt I needed to respond. I feel that the best option for numbering them, if we do infact number them, is to just have a side numbering system seperate from the "official" line. So I guess I would be going with option #2.

A panel of judges might work to help choose which customs are of high enough quality to be considered for the guide. I definately don't think a poll system would work too well.

I think also, if a Customs Guide is indeed made, that under each custom, the maker should have their name, or atleast their screen name, to give them credit for their work.

I also like the idea of the customs being available for purchase, but that is a factor completely up to Marty. I have had discussions with him about making recasts of my customs, and from what I have heard, it is a long and arguous process. It would be asking a lot of Marty.

I am all for this though. I really like the idea of customs being made by a lot of different people. We are all collecting a line of toys that hasn't seen a new figure made in 17 years. I really think this will help keep the toyline fresh and energetic, giving us something new and unseen to look forward to.

Eric

#15 dark_eternal

dark_eternal

Master of Shadows

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 12:00 AM

Custom Beasts should be their own category. Laserbeasts have their sect, and battlebeast have their own niche ( now custom beasts are the new force to be reckoned with)

as to whether they are inducted as "official" customs or not, i think polling is the logical solution, because the majority of the voters, or battlebeast collectors for that matter, are members of this board. theres no sense in making ones that people are interested in buying. even if one is poorly constructed, that doesnt mean someone cant adopt the idea and fix it up, and start producing it from the orginal creators mold. you guys are headed in the right direction...
"Strongest of the scions created by the gods, they feared his power, and so kept him confined to the dark. So indomitable is his strength that all things are by him twisted and pressed into oblivion. He alone fashions the laws governing all things, and administers punishment in place of the gods. So is he dark eternal, and his authority is absolute."

#16 Orca

Orca

The Idea Man & Custom Vehicle Inventor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 08:23 AM

I'm for option #2 a 5 -10 judge panel if the custom makes the guide, a poll for the intrest in the customs being made into figures -minimum 25 votes in favor or 1/3 the total of the current members.....lets keep this line unique. Especially since the customs Marty makes are currently pricey and time consumming for him to make.

CB-001 this is the format i like.

#17 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 08:24 AM

I appriciate and share your enthusiasum, but I feel the final say is up to TGB, Koppensvelle and the other "Top" custom builders out there.

What's your opinion Marty?

Don't forget Orca!!!

He has some sweet arse customs too!!!

I agree with Orca!!!

Judges to add to the guide, poll to have made into figures (orders too), and then a "CB-001" numbering system.

TGB

Edited by THEGODBEAST, 05 February 2005 - 08:27 AM.

#18 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Interests:love to collect all sorts of stuff mainly star wars(new & old), motu (new & old), glyos, beastformers, godzilla, and some 80's cartoons and tv show characters. love making customs too!

Posted 05 February 2005 - 12:40 PM

i agree w/ the idea that there should be a seperate guide for custom bb & lb & gb. the # system orca mentioned makes sense. the panel of judges seems to be a sound idea so far.(if they have been picked or volunteered yet?) the fact that i take shizznitty pics i also agree fully on!!! :lol: and need to take some farking classes or something. i personally don't think it's fair that marty have the burden of production of the customs(if they are to be made for sale) even though his stuff is downright sweet, it would be hard for him to handle that along w/ other stuff he has on his plate. are there anyother customizers out here that can do the stuff like marty does??? i have dabbled in molding & casting before and i know the troubles & time consuption w/ it, but i noway have the skills tgb has! :D

i hope this thing takes off, and we start seeing more customs out there, and more members w/ the recent jump of battle beasts auctions on ebay.

=)
AIN'T NO PARTY LIKE A BATTLE BEASTS PARTY CAUSE A BATTLE BEAST PARTY DON'T STOP!!!

VISIT MY CUSTOMS GALLERY>> http://www.littlerub...showtopic=17082

#19 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 04:39 PM

Judges to add to the guide, poll to have made into figures (orders too), and then a "CB-001" numbering system.

TGB

This seems to be the idea that's taking off, so I'm all for it.

I like the idea of having a judge panel with about five or so members, so I think it'd be important to have some postulates defining what the criteria are to have a CB become official.

Also, how shall we choose who the judges are?

#20 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 05 February 2005 - 08:43 PM

Also, how shall we choose who the judges are?

I think I will talk this over with JKaris and Lord...

I am thinking that the judges have to be collectors that have an appreciation for the customs, maybe even own a few, are active on this site, and are "TRUE" collectors/diehards!!! I am not sure that actual active customizers should be judges...however, that brings up a problem for me...maybe this sounds a little arrogant, however, I know a great/good custom when I see one. I know first hand how much work/craftsmanship has went into a custom. So I do feel like I should be one of the judges...

As far as reproducing them in plastic...I have absolutely no problem doing that as long as there are at least 5 people that want to purchase/trade for them. Otherwise all the materials, wear/tear on my equipment, and labor are a loss...I have offered this option to EVERYONE who has ever even consulted with me about making custom BB/LB's...

I am a little concerned that this whole thing might get a little complicated and possibly lead to problems (hurt feelings, attitudes, etc...) ...but, I think that this whole custom guide thing is for the best...that is why I suggested it in the first place to JKaris' about 2 weeks ago...

TGB

#21 transformersontheshelf

transformersontheshelf

The Toy Store Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Interests:Toys and Games of all sorts!

Posted 06 February 2005 - 11:37 AM

Why not do what the Transformers System has done for the last 20 years? Anytime there is a toy that will not fit into the number system (ie C-101 or D-87) they will asign it an "X" or and "S" (or as tgb mentioned "C"). So First we would have to Know how many customs tgb has done. Thus let's say he has made several versions of Killer Carp, or BB-05 as it were. Let's say he's made 3 versions/molds of this toy. 1 is clear, 1 is in clear-red, and 1 is in black. Let's assign these in one of two different ways. 1) A seperate area for themselves ie C-05a, C-05b...and so on. Or we can put them into the overall guide allong with the variants. So there would be 05a-killer Carp, 05b Clear Carp, 05Caclear, 05Cb Clear-Red, and 05Cc Black. dunno, lol

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com