78 replies to this topic

#51 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:09 PM

Maybe after the holidays, I will have to invest in this. I may need a few pointers about how to utilize this properly.

#52 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:22 PM

yeah, hit me up when ever and i can give you some tips and tricks. :)

#53 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

Thanks!!!

#54 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

Just a heads up... Using Shapelock for molds, using smooth-on brand resin to fill? Bad idea.
Derpaderp.

#55 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:27 PM

haha, oh really~? good to know.

i use this silicone
http://www.ebay.com/...L-/330641958109

they sell on amazon as well. great stuff~!

#56 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:38 PM

Yeah, I use that, and allumilite, generally. My sister gave me some shapelock for christmas, and I decided to try a few things. I haven't had the chance to try to pour rubber into it.

#57 servbot30

servbot30

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:55 PM

I use platinum silicone for my molds. The stuff is like water so it gets great detail. Also degasses itself and allows crazy undercuts. Unfortunately because it's so soft you have to have either a resin or plaster backing to each half of 2 part mold.

Also I'll throw up pics and a break down of my pressure pot for you guys when I'm off work.

#58 servbot30

servbot30

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:16 AM

Okie so here is my pressure pot made with mostly stuff you can get from harbor freight.

http://i26.photobuck...er/SAM_1384.jpg

http://i26.photobuck...er/SAM_1386.jpg

http://i26.photobuck...er/SAM_1387.jpg

http://i26.photobuck...er/SAM_1388.jpg

http://i26.photobuck...er/SAM_1390.jpg

So you'll need the paint pot and the compressor obviously. You'll also need a hose and a couple sets of male/female sockets. You'll need a threaded male/male adapter to connect the female socket to the compressor. Also! Very important here. Ditch the pressure gauge that comes with the pot. It's complete garbage and covered with useless ports. You only need a gauge with one port to allow pressure. After that get a 16mm 2.0 x 40mm hex bolt. You'll need this to plug the outlet on the pot. Again, you only need a way to put pressure in. When you have everything use plumbers tape on anything that is threaded to make sure you won't have any leaks. So now get that beast together.

Waiting. Waiting... Found leaks didn't you? Well sir and/or miss here is what you do. Tighten the jesus out of everything with a wrench. Even when you're casting, tighten the wing nuts with a wrench. If you have to, heat gun the rubber lining in the lid and quickly crank down on it to get a better fit to the pot.

I'll leave it at this so you guys can ask questions before I get into how I actually use it during casting.

#59 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:08 AM

Only thing I see you missed in your hints would be some teflon tape for all connections.

#60 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

The Man on the Silver Mountain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Monster In My Pocket, Gormiti, Trash Pack, other LRGs that may strike my fancy, and other stuff no-one else likely gives a damn about

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

Can anyone tell me the best type of paint to use for repainting or custom painting figures like M.U.S.C.L.E, MIMP,Snailiens etc..Thanks!

I've had some luck using Testors model Master Acryl...in fact, am currently painting a 208 with it. I should be able to post some pictures of it soon. Save the enamel for things made out of metal.

Current collecting goal: obtain all 148 Monster In My Pocket Series 1 figures in regular colors (71.62% there)

So many toys, so little money!

#61 servbot30

servbot30

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

Only thing I see you missed in your hints would be some teflon tape for all connections.

Plumbers tape is telfon tape. :p

#62 servbot30

servbot30

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:21 AM

I may have missed this earlier in the thread, but what rubbers do you guys suggest to cast with that would be both child safe and keshi squooshy?

#63 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:28 AM

Smooth-on has a mercury free rubber, but its a little less keshi like and more squishy. Not sure if they have a firmer version.

i dont like it cuz the mix isnt equal parts, gotta mix like a 5:1 parts or 10:1, something like that, and it has a cure time of 16 hrs.

#64 servbot30

servbot30

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:57 PM

Had an interesting thing happen today I thought I should share with you cats. I had finished the mold for my kappa and broke out ye old resin to test it. First cast was alright but I couldn't make out much detail due to it being stark white.

So I drove out to michaels to buy some dye. Weeeeell the michaels here sucks and they didn't carry any dyes suitable for resin. After perusing the aisles I come across this stuff called Duff's cake airbrush paint. So it's basically food colouring for airbrushed. I figure this will work. Oh boy was I mistaken.

Flash forward to readying the mold and mixing the resin. First indicator I mad effed up was the dye would not mix. It just hung there as little bubbles of colour. I am undeterred and continue mixing and begin to pour. Second indicator of my folly. It sets up mad fast and bubbles and spews and gets way hotter than resin should. I am undeterred and throw the mold into the pressure pot and throw on the pressure.

In this time the remainder of the resin replicates scenes from ghostbusters 2 and quickly becomes rock hard. I pop off the pressure and pull out the mold with no doubt I've ruined it. What little of the figure that managed to be cast told of a struggle of forces. One the mold holding tight. The other being the volcanic resin trying to escape. As such the figure was completely hollow and covered with bubbles both forming and bursting.

Luckily the mold survived and I learned a valuable lesson. Do not try to cast lava.

#65 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

Haha, yeah Pigments are very specific for each type of casting materials. Like the pigments i use for my rubber wouldn't work with resin and visa versa, resin pigments wont work with my rubber.

I was lucky enough to learn this before i got into casting or i would of easily bought resin pigment for my rubber since they have more colors for resin than rubber.

#66 battlebeast3

battlebeast3

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Interests:Disney's Gargoyles, Battle Beasts!, Movies, Music, much more!

Posted 16 July 2012 - 07:37 PM

What kind of sealer works best? I used an acrylic paint, but it is tacky... what can I use to cure the tack?
I did it! I watched all 485 Best Picture Nominees in 365 days!

#67 omenmink

omenmink

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:56 AM

I have never tried any of this before. I'd love to try, just need to know where to start really. I understand the costs and that I may not even be good at it, but I'd like to see what I can do anyway.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as starting from scratch? Materials for making the mold, how to cast the figures, etc.

Even a link to a tutorial somewhere would help. My google searches haven't been very successful, which is odd because clearly a lot of people are producing rubber figures.

Thanks.

Interested noob.

#68 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:55 PM

Alumilite has casting Kits with everything you need to start and practice with.

http://www.amazon.co...ite casting kit

Also, there are many videos on Youtube on MOLD MAKING  (many different types too).

#69 omenmink

omenmink

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 05:03 PM

Thanks! I'll check it out!

#70 Mikeum

Mikeum

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:MINI BOGLIIIIINS

Posted 06 February 2014 - 04:41 AM

Does anyone use Polycraft or Polytek EasyFlo? I'm thinking of trying the stuff without a pressure pot, but I'm kinda expecting bad results. Is there any good products in the UK that I can use without a pressure pot? My models arent too detailed, but they are small

I probably will use a pressure pot eventually but figured I'd work my way up

Edited by Mikeum, 06 February 2014 - 04:42 AM.

uHcmBgl.jpg?1

#71 kapcad

kapcad

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 12:45 AM

Alumilite has casting Kits with everything you need to start and practice with.

http://www.amazon.co...ite casting kit

Also, there are many videos on Youtube on MOLD MAKING  (many different types too).

This looks pretty cool for starting, I think I'll try this one first :) 

#72 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

Someone shared with me this method for making home-made silicon molds out of household silicon rather than buying and using a kit. Not sure if this would work for high-detail or undercut parts, but I'm curious if anyone has tried this before? I still have silicon left from the last kit I bought so I probably wouldn't be trying it anytime soon, just kind of curious.

http://fallfordiy.co...silicone-mould/

#73 bigazzhead

bigazzhead

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Interests:Mini Figure interests:
    Monster in my Pocket
    Megaman/Rockman
    Dragon Ball
    Dragon Quest
    Old Nintendo
    Gegege no Kitaro
    general monster keshi
    Ghostbusters
    Zombie related stuff
    and anything cool. (yeah I know pretty vague)

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:50 AM

I think that molding technique only really works for push molds.

#74 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:33 AM

Yeah, simple ones, at that.

#75 CrazyMobius

CrazyMobius

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:04 PM

Hi guys,

Just wondering what is a good medium to use for sculpting.

I have some super sculpey. Is this good to use?

I am wanting to make mini figures.

Do you guys use armatures?

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com