Theme© by Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 5 votes

The return of...Robo Force and...MORDLES!

• Please log in to reply
380 replies to this topic

#76 phantomeye

phantomeye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:03 AM

"Where are the names coming from, and what are they? I was looking around for more references to "Ripsaw" and "Mindripper" and they all lead back to these forums. Does each style have a name at this stage?"
[/quote]

I do not believe they were ever given names by the manufacturer. I do believe DrKent has assigned some names to a few of them in the past. I know the blue with backward feet (see my avatar) was called "Angry Pete" by him. I have a list of names I created for all of them. All sinister of course. Club Mordle may provide a vehicle by which a naming election/contest could be conducted to settle their titles once and for all!

Test shots look incredible, DK! I still think unpainted would be a great option.

Edited by phantomeye, 25 April 2013 - 10:04 AM.

#77 phantomeye

phantomeye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

So all the recent discussion of Mordles got my RBT juices flowing and it motivated me to dig out my custom set made by TGB which he dubbed "Stealth" Mordles.  They are crystal clear and made of hard, rigid resin.  The "stealth" feature is that they react to blacklight!

Here they are in ambient light:

Attached File  Stealth Mordles 003.jpg   74.29K   45 downloads

This is in ambient light with blacklight flooding them up front:

Attached File  Stealth Mordles 005.jpg   85.02K   57 downloads

Attached File  Stealth Mordles 001.jpg   160.94K   49 downloads

Attached File  Stealth Mordles 006.jpg   160.4K   50 downloads

The camera picked up the ethereal radiance surrounding each of them.  Not appreciated by naked eye.

Then, they go absolutely nuclear when flooded with blacklight in the dark!!! e+

Attached File  Stealth Mordles 004.jpg   83.86K   44 downloads

I would love to see this and other types of features, gimmicks, and other oddities applied to the proposed custom line by DK.  The unique value is immeasurable to me.

Edited by phantomeye, 07 May 2013 - 08:26 PM.

#78 BladeRunner

BladeRunner

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Interests:Secretly re-living the 80's behind my wifes back.

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:00 AM

Oooh Man those are Wicked!!!!

#79 DoctorKent

DoctorKent

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • Interests:Rocks and Bugs and Things, Mordles, Robo Force, Glyos, Manglors

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:53 PM

As Phantomeye said, I gave the Mordles names way back in the first version of my website - Angry Pete being the one with the backward feet, Ripsaw being the one in my avatar...

The Mordle names will be revealed during the first drop and there will be some fun surprises there for long-time toy fans.

Mordles will be on-sale in JUNE!!!! Almost here, guys!

Details on Club Mordle really soon. There's been a ton of work going on here behind the scenes to get everything together and I hope everyone is pleased when you see what we've come up with.

John K.

DoctorKent - the once and future master of ROCKS AND BUGS AND THINGS! now known as MORDLES.
Returning to your toy stories - 2013.
www.toyfinity.com

#80 Fuzz

Fuzz

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy collecting obscure toy lines from the 80s, as well as some of the newer stuff like NECA's Predator line.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

These can't get here soon enough! I'm sick of eBay sellers thinking they've struck gold with originals. Consistently relisting unsold auctions at ridiculous prices. I just offered a seller $25 a piece for two, and they turned me down. They relisted their two $69.99 auctions which didn't sell at, you guessed it, $69.99. I tried explaining demand for originals is going to go down due to mordles being rereleased this summer and readily available to collectors, but they didn't believe me. Their loss. They're not going to get $70 for a mordle.

#81 phantomeye

phantomeye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

The prices are definitely absurd.  The mordles market is hopelessly overinflated.  Because we are a niche market and RBTs is such an obscure toyline, I'm not sure a repro line will influence the vintage figures' prices.  I would bet most of the eBay sellers are just seeing them go for higher and higher prices and think "Hey, I got 1 or 2 of those and I am willing to collect $60+ with a sale of them".  They have no clue about LRG (but they should) and the upcoming repros.

#82 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 07:47 AM

Dude, the FOA market is the exact same. Prices blew up, overnight, for NO REASON!

I feel your pain, but am excited for this new line!

#83 Fuzz

Fuzz

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy collecting obscure toy lines from the 80s, as well as some of the newer stuff like NECA's Predator line.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:00 AM

I would bet most of the eBay sellers are just seeing them go for higher and higher prices and think "Hey, I got 1 or 2 of those and I am willing to collect $60+ with a sale of them". 

I agree that sellers are probably just jumping on the greed bandwagon based on what they see other auctions priced at, however, they are not paying attention to one vital detail - overpriced RBT toys and mordles do not sell.

I have been exhaustively watching the RBT market on eBay for almost a year now, checking a few times a day on my phone, ipad, etc. When RBT lots that include mordles are listed at ludicrous prices, they never sell. I consistently watch sellers re-list the same lots over and over deliberately choosing to ignore the fact that they're simply not worth that much. It's unfortunate greed will not let these sellers list their RBT auctions with starting bids at 99 cents. Some sensible auctions would finally get people bidding and allow the market to reveal the actual worth of these toys. 

I love ebay, but sometimes I really despise how it allows seller greed to artificially inflate prices. The value of something should be dictated by what collectors are willing to pay, not sellers blinded by greed.

#84 phantomeye

phantomeye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:39 PM

I truly hope you are right about potential downward pressure on the eBay prices for vintage Mordles by the upcoming repro line.  I too watch the eBay listings closely and find that the high end RBTs auctions (anything including a Mordle) sometimes gets relisted but eventually disappear.  That's with BIN and there is no indication if those sold or simply expired.  I agree, Mordles auctions over $200 will usually rot with the seller.  But unfortunately, $50~60 will move them along.  I still think it is just a few setting an artificially high bar and sellers have noticed and are responding to those ridiculously high prices.  They say the market will dictate itself.  So if you are correct, Fuzz, maybe Mordles prices will shift toward reasonability with now consistently ridiculous ebay prices and the new repro line causing collectors to say "Screw the ebay game, I'm going to amass a Mordles army for the same price as a single vintage figure".  Not to be too presumptuous though.  Doctor Kent has yet to reveal his prices. :db: 
Ironmask, what is FAO?  Not familiar with that one...

Edited by phantomeye, 13 May 2013 - 02:40 PM.

#85 waaaaghlord

waaaaghlord

C.UT.I.E. Owners Club Founder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:54 PM

FoA = Fistful of Aliens.

soundwave wrote "don't insult my bananna!!!!!!!!!"

#86 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:05 AM

Really though, this false sense of inflation applies to every toy-line and I doubt we will ever see it drop. (Except with this new Mordles). It sold once for that so people want to get that price consistently, or near that price. Ebay sellers aren't the only ones at fault, even on this board I've consistently seen people make claims about the "worth" of their pieces or collections. Especially in regards to obscure stuff like the Mordles.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#87 Fuzz

Fuzz

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:44 AM

It sold once for that so people want to get that price consistently, or near that price.

Not necessarily. I have no delusions of getting a RBT rock/bug with a mordle for $4.99 ever again. I understand things go up in value, especially if they're obscure like RBT, as you said. But a toy line like RBT also has a very limited fanbase. There's not really a whole lot of folks looking for these things. eBay sellers should be grateful they can even sell their old RBT toys for more than a few bucks.

What I don't like is being gouged. Over the past year, with a little bit of patience, I've been able to complete almost the entire RBT toyline except for two mordles, for around $300. Yet, right now there are sellers on eBay auctioning lots with just a few rocks/bugs, some even broken, for over $400 just because they have a few mordles.

Edited by Fuzz, 15 May 2013 - 10:46 AM.

#88 DoctorKent

DoctorKent

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

These can't get here soon enough! I'm sick of eBay sellers thinking they've struck gold with originals. Consistently relisting unsold auctions at ridiculous prices. I just offered a seller $25 a piece for two, and they turned me down. They relisted their two $69.99 auctions which didn't sell at, you guessed it, $69.99. I tried explaining demand for originals is going to go down due to mordles being rereleased this summer and readily available to collectors, but they didn't believe me. Their loss. They're not going to get $70 for a mordle.

It's tough for sellers to drop prices, as they may have paid way more for the figures than they should have.

Not every seller is an omega scum. I've met every type of person during my years of collecting, and they all have their reasons for collecting and selling.

Once upon a time, RBT with Mordles were going for a hundred bucks loose. I couldn't believe it either. Then again, I paid near $200 for the first Shriekbeak boxed mint, and close to that for Bloodstone. Literally though, NO ONE before us had ever seen the figures out of the package except maybe STA. We had no idea what the other Mordles looked like...it was a very different time, 2002. :)

I truly hope you are right about potential downward pressure on the eBay prices for vintage Mordles by the upcoming repro line.  I too watch the eBay listings closely and find that the high end RBTs auctions (anything including a Mordle) sometimes gets relisted but eventually disappear.  That's with BIN and there is no indication if those sold or simply expired.  I agree, Mordles auctions over $200 will usually rot with the seller.  But unfortunately, $50~60 will move them along.  I still think it is just a few setting an artificially high bar and sellers have noticed and are responding to those ridiculously high prices.  They say the market will dictate itself.  So if you are correct, Fuzz, maybe Mordles prices will shift toward reasonability with now consistently ridiculous ebay prices and the new repro line causing collectors to say "Screw the ebay game, I'm going to amass a Mordles army for the same price as a single vintage figure".  Not to be too presumptuous though.  Doctor Kent has yet to reveal his prices. :db: 

Mordles are legitimately pretty rare.  RBT overall is quite an uncommon line.

There are a handful of lines from the 80s which are 1000% tougher to get than the toughest US-released Transformer - just that the fanbases for those lines are sometimes five or six people.

Prices are going to be revealed in the next thirty days. The last pieces of the puzzle are coming together now....

Really though, this false sense of inflation applies to every toy-line and I doubt we will ever see it drop. (Except with this new Mordles). It sold once for that so people want to get that price consistently, or near that price. Ebay sellers aren't the only ones at fault, even on this board I've consistently seen people make claims about the "worth" of their pieces or collections. Especially in regards to obscure stuff like the Mordles.

Exactly.

All day long, you would talk to fellow collectors and they would say, "Fort Max is super rare and worth a grand!" Well, maybe not after the repro, heh heh.

But you can almost always find that one guy who found it at the flea market for $25, MIB and complete, because to some people toys are pretty worthless.

I know the price on a MIB Bloodstone has come down. I paid for being the first person to have one - a price that the figure could never be worth again, and won't be.

Not necessarily. I have no delusions of getting a RBT rock/bug with a mordle for $4.99 ever again. I understand things go up in value, especially if they're obscure like RBT, as you said. But a toy line like RBT also has a very limited fanbase. There's not really a whole lot of folks looking for these things. eBay sellers should be grateful they can even sell their old RBT toys for more than a few bucks.

What I don't like is being gouged. Over the past year, with a little bit of patience, I've been able to complete almost the entire RBT toyline except for two mordles, for around $300. Yet, right now there are sellers on eBay auctioning lots with just a few rocks/bugs, some even broken, for over $400 just because they have a few mordles.

Lines like RBT, Robo Force, Manglors, MUSCLES, Food Fighters, etc - no one is really sure WHAT the fanbase is for these things.

I had ten years of eBay stats saved on RBT (most of which was lost in a computer issue) so I could tell you the ups and downs of it.

How can Food Fighters be a line where carded figures are selling for $30+ each? SOMEONE is buying them. Someone is paying that much money for Robo Force figures.

A forum is only a sliver of the collector base. Most people don't have the need or want to participate in the "social media" aspects of these things.

Auctions many times don't make sense either. I can watch some specific Transformers items and they will consistently, if started at $1, go for $400-$600. If started at $400, no sale. Why? Do people just love bidding that much? Where does the person who would have paid $400 for one disappear to when the next one goes up for sale? Are they only in it for the auction aspect?

Details on Club Mordle very soon.

John K.

DoctorKent - the once and future master of ROCKS AND BUGS AND THINGS! now known as MORDLES.
www.toyfinity.com

#89 Fuzz

Fuzz

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:34 AM

Auctions many times don't make sense either. I can watch some specific Transformers items and they will consistently, if started at $1, go for $400-$600. If started at $400, no sale. Why? Do people just love bidding that much? Where does the person who would have paid $400 for one disappear to when the next one goes up for sale? Are they only in it for the auction aspect?

Personally, I find it a huge turn off seeing an auction start so high. As i said before, demand should dictate the value of something, not sellers. If a seller is looking to get $400, that's fine. Just don't make it so damn obvious. You're selling on an auction site. You should be willing to take the gamble of your item not selling for what you thought it would.

I think the difference between a $1 auction ending at $400, as opposed to one starting at $400 and not selling, is that buyer demand pushed the value so high, not the seller. I don't think fan bases enjoy having their hobby dictated to them by sellers. I certainly dont.

When i go to TFcon every year, i probably mumble "go eff yourself" under my breath at least 20 times before i leave. But the vendors that do get my money are the ones willing to haggle or give me discount if i buy multiple items. Im willing to spend because i had a part in dictating the price. I think the same can be said about a fanbase. If fans can play a part in the final price, I think they're more willing to spend the money for the prize.

Edited by Fuzz, 16 May 2013 - 08:43 AM.

#90 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:01 PM

Im willing to spend because i had a part in dictating the price

I actually agree with the bartering system you talk about. Sometimes all I need is a couple of bucks off the top to feel like I made a good deal. Thankfully, my local comic shop knows me and they actually let me barter with all kinds of stuff. It works for them, because now they have a repeat customer who brings his friends. (And I'm obviously not the only one.)

So I hear you and completely agree!

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#91 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

Yeah, I am sure the toy collecting market isn't the only place this happens, but it blows my mind that when people overpay for something they feel they can expect the next guy, too. 

Somebody on this board was driving up prices like that, artificially, and it's taken as the standard, because people don't want to sell for less than what they paid for a piece.

I think that practice is stupid as f##k, and without market fluctuations, you're just going to have more Beanie Baby bubbles. When the new Mordles drop, so will the prices. You watch.

#92 DoctorKent

DoctorKent

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:51 AM

Alright, finally the time has come to reveal the specifics of CLUB MORDLE!

If you have any questions, ask away!

CLUB MORDLE

PURPOSE: Club Mordle guarantees you the chance to purchase ONE of each and every release-version MORDLES action figure, set, and accessory!

HOW IT WORKS: Toyfinity Toys plans to release a number of different colored sets of Mordles and related products in 2013.
The first release will be JUNE 2013.
To join Club Mordle, go to the Toyfinity.com store and add the Club Mordle membership to your PayPal cart. COMING SOON!
The cost of membership is only $10 in 2013! You'll be provided a special membership packet with your first Mordles product order that will evoke memories of the classic fan club kits of days gone by. There are no toy-based products included in the Club Mordle kit.
Members will also have the opportunity to vote on a future Mordle colorway, and potentially receive other exclusive information and offers.

THE SPECIFICS: Mordles love to hatch in groups! But sometimes, they hatch all by themselves.
As such, a release may consist of one single Mordle figure, Mordles with special accessories, or multiple packs of Mordles in special colorways or designs.
The cost for each Mordles product will vary depending on what is included in the product - number of Mordles, paint decos, and so on.
Unlike other subscriptions, Toyfinity Toys is NOT locking you into purchasing product blindly or guaranteeing sales to Toyfinity in advance.
Here's how it will work:
- Purchase the Club Mordle membership.
- Toyfinity Toys will announce a product release, listing the items for sale in the specific release.
- Club Mordle members will be provided a link to the Club Mordle store. The beginning and expiration date for the store will be listed.
- Members will be allowed to make ONE and ONLY ONE purchase from the store during this time. You do not have to purchase every item! But you will only be allowed to purchase ONE of each item in the store, maximum.
- the Club Mordle store will close two days prior to the on-sale date.
     - No product will be held for Club Mordle members beyond that point.
     - Your Mordles MAY ship prior to the on-sale date, but this is not guaranteed.
- Toyfinity Toys reserves the right to limit Club Mordle applications with the same street address.

FAQ
WHY NOT JUST DO PRE-ORDERS? Without going into the complete scenarios behind mass-production of items, at times there are products which are produced but need to be withheld from immediate sale. The last thing that we want is to solicit an item we can't deliver, for any reason.
WHY CAN I ONLY MAKE ONE ORDER FROM THE STORE? We'll be attempting to ship orders prior to the main on-sale date, as they are made. Allowing each club member to make only one order will allow for the most expedited shipping possible.
I WANT MORE SETS THAN ONE! That's awesome! In 2013, we are gauging the demand for Mordles product. If the demand is there, we may offer greater quantities for sale through Club Mordle in the future.
WHEN THE MORDLES ARE ON SALE TO THE GENERAL PUBLIC, WILL THERE BE LIMITS? When the Mordles go on sale to the general public, quantities may be limited on some products. Some colors will be tagged as "immordle editions", and will have no cap on quantities available to purchase.
WHAT ABOUT EXCLUSIVES? In 2013, if there are any exclusive Mordle sets offered from other retailers, you will have the chance to order them through Club Mordle without issue. If Toyfinity Toys offers an exclusive at any convention in 2013, you will be offered the same chance.

John K.

www.toyfinity.com

#93 waaaaghlord

waaaaghlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 20 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

Okay, I'm liking the club idea and seriously thinking about signing up. Being UK based I've got a couple of questions about how you'll be dealing with international orders. First off will you be offering first class international as a shipping option, as priority or flat rate shipping will effectively price me out of this being worthwhile. Second thing is a bit more of a long shot, but since you mentioned that some releases may end up being as small as a single Mordle is there any chance you'd be able to hold off shipping smaller orders until the following release? I realise this means a lot more bookkeeping and is probably impractical but again if it's a single figure at a time even the cheap shipping option ends up looking pricey on orders that small. I'm a Mini Boglin collector and figure these guys would make for great complementary figures for that line, I just don't want to jump in only to find getting the figures over here ends up being overly cost prohibitive.

#94 DoctorKent

DoctorKent

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

Waaaaghlord,

be glad to answer the question. International shipping - I need to have something trackable for insurance purposes.

You can thank the five guys in China who took me to the woodshed on eBay and basically stole Transformers from me (or, conversely, were subject to some horrible luck in having things shipped to them).

So my answer is "I'm willing to ship whichever way that is cheapest that has a tracking component."

For international members who are willing to play the long game - i.e. want their orders held until a shipping block is equitable to something trackable, I'm willing to do that to a certain extent.

I know that the majority of transactions for shipping go perfectly fine, and I wish I was in a position to just ship product out without insurance, but I'm not.

If you have a US friend willing to send you the packages via a non-tracked option, that is another possible solution.

John K.

www.toyfinity.com

#95 waaaaghlord

waaaaghlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:54 AM

Thanks for the response. I do understand that tracking can be an important consideration and I've had to work through some third parties before grabbing OMFG offerings from sites that only offer the priority option (mainly those specialising more to the high ticket vinyl market so I can see why it would be policy). May as well ask the question here then, does anybody Stateside want to volunteer as an address buddy for my subscription? Obviously I'll let you know if I get sorted John, don't want to see anyone offering to help out suspected of trying to avoid the 1 per limits.

#96 DoctorKent

DoctorKent

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:13 AM

And the first of the colorways that will be on sale in June is revealed!

http://doomkick.com/...olorway-reveal/

Behold...the first of the Crawler Edition Mordles!

John K.

www.toyfinity.com

#97 adam16bit

adam16bit

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Laser Beasts. Battle Beasts. Beast Saga. OMFG.

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

Awright, that is frikkin' awesome. And not too different from my avatar coloring.

--Adam Pawlus
16bit.com and elsewhere

#98 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 02:12 PM

I really don't want to dip into another toy-line, but these mordles look so damn awesome.

<p> </p>
<p>

#99 DoctorKent

DoctorKent

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:12 PM

Club Mordle is up and ready to go!
Details here: http://pheydenfans.b...3/05/test.html, and the store is located at www.toyfinity.com.
The countdown is on!

John K.
www.toyfinity.com

#100 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:28 PM

Club Mordle member what what!

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com