75 replies to this topic

#26 misterdroid

misterdroid

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 09:54 PM

I just got a big lot of figures which the previous owner colored in most of the recessed eyes and mouths with ink pen. Nothing has been able to get it all out... most of it though. I am going to move up to using some RemoveZit on them and see how it goes. It is made specifically to pull stains out of plastic toys and dolls. I bought it to clean some ink stained GI Joe Adventure team heads and it worked well. I will let everyone know how it goes and try to document the process with photos.

#27 GRANDTHEFT

GRANDTHEFT

a.k.a. MISCHA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:21 PM

I just got a big lot of figures which the previous owner colored in most of the recessed eyes and mouths with ink pen. Nothing has been able to get it all out... most of it though. I am going to move up to using some RemoveZit on them and see how it goes. It is made specifically to pull stains out of plastic toys and dolls. I bought it to clean some ink stained GI Joe Adventure team heads and it worked well. I will let everyone know how it goes and try to document the process with photos.

Any luck yet?
There is a very fine line between
"Hobby" & "Mental illness"
................................................................................
I just want what every Muscle collector want's , MORE!
................................................................................

#28 DetectiveFork

DetectiveFork

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 09:38 AM

I just bought a big batch of flesh-colored M.U.S.C.L.E. figures on eBay that were in good shape, but when they arrived I opened the box and was immediately punched in the face with the smell of cigarettes. And many of the figures have random orange stains that I imagine are probably nicotine tar. I've tried dish soap and a scrub brush on one of the figures and it didn't seem to remove any of the stains. Any suggestions?

#29 ChristianG

ChristianG

Delete me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:42 AM

I just bought a big batch of flesh-colored M.U.S.C.L.E. figures on eBay that were in good shape, but when they arrived I opened the box and was immediately punched in the face with the smell of cigarettes. And many of the figures have random orange stains that I imagine are probably nicotine tar. I've tried dish soap and a scrub brush on one of the figures and it didn't seem to remove any of the stains. Any suggestions?

I just use some clothes washing powder in warm water, swish them around for a bit and then rinse. I have cleaned all muscle and monster in my pocket figures this way and they come up very clean.

good luck

#30 Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 11:52 AM

I wonder if that special smoker's mouthwash would do anything for that sort of stain. I've never heard of it tried though, so if anyone gives it a shot you should use a figure that you don't mind damaged, just in case.

I can't remember off the top of my head where I read it, but I think soaking in Nature's Miracle (from a pet store) is good for odors. I am familiar with the product, it is a mild enzymatic cleaner.

Edited by Nyarlathotep, 17 November 2009 - 11:53 AM.

#31 DetectiveFork

DetectiveFork

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 12:06 PM

Thanks for the advice. However, and I'm ashamed to admit this, I had forgotten laundry detergent existed in powdered form! I've been using liquid for years. I might have to try this.

I don't know if the mouthwash would work, since I think that's more about removing the smell than stains. Actually, the smell on the figures faded quite a bit just by leaving them out in the open, as my house is a cigarette-free zone. Maybe I need something a dentist would use to brighten up stained teeth, lol.

At least I don't feel like I got ripped off. It was almost 50 figures for $10 and, while they have a few stains, there's a lot of figures I never had and have wanted, like the M.U.S.C.L.E. that looks a bit like Wilson the Volleyball from Cast Away. :)

#32 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 17 November 2009 - 06:50 PM

maybe someone can make muscle whitening trays that you can put tooth whitening gel in and then let the muscles sit in them. that's a billion dollar idea right there. :wacko:

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#33 GRANDTHEFT

GRANDTHEFT

a.k.a. MISCHA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 07:24 PM

Are the stains on the surface or on have they leaked into the plastic?

Maybe we could work on something to use and soak them for several days.

let me know Mate , we'll get them out.

#34 DetectiveFork

DetectiveFork

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:06 AM

I have no clue how deep the stains are. But any help you can offer would be most appreciated! Maybe it would help if I take a picture of a few of the figures so you can see what I'm talking about it. I'll do that over the weekend.

#35 GRANDTHEFT

GRANDTHEFT

a.k.a. MISCHA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:06 AM

I have no clue how deep the stains are. But any help you can offer would be most appreciated! Maybe it would help if I take a picture of a few of the figures so you can see what I'm talking about it. I'll do that over the weekend.

That would be great and allot of help , as I've touched on in my explanations , if the stain looks like a Tattoo , that's because it is and cannot be removed , if it's on the surface , most likely it can be removed , but give us a look , we'll get them shiny and clean again i'm sure :wacko:

#36 Muscle Things

Muscle Things

Wart Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Coked up wrestling promos and MUSCLEs

Posted 16 December 2009 - 10:57 PM

That would be great and allot of help , as I've touched on in my explanations , if the stain looks like a Tattoo , that's because it is and cannot be removed , if it's on the surface , most likely it can be removed , but give us a look , we'll get them shiny and clean again i'm sure :yes:

I love hearing 'shiny and clean' in reference to M.U.S.C.L.E.s :lol: I just got my flesh claw sparklin' like a '57 chevy B)

#37 sherrie

sherrie

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1397 posts
  • Interests:toys, computers, games, reading

Posted 17 December 2009 - 10:53 AM

When Jon used to send home boxes of muscles for me to sort and clean, the best method I found was filling one side of the sink with warm water, dish soap (I used Dawn) and a little bleach. I would dump in enough muscles to fill the sink 1/2 way and stir them around with a wooden spoon (not putting my hands in water with bleach!). I would then let them sit for about an hour, swishing them around every so often. after a couple of hours max, I would fill the other side of the sink with cold water and move them over to the clear side. Then I would get a strainer and put a double handful of muscles in it, (drain the soapy side of sink), put strainer under running warm water, and check each muscle to make sure it was clean. Rinse and toss on large folded towel. If it wasn't clean, I would just take a plain toothbrush with a little liquid soap and scrub it until I got everything out of the nooks and cranny's and rinse well. then I laid them all out on a towel to dry for a couple of hours.
Paint I find will come off with just a nail scraping or for the tough ones I used non-acetate fingernail polish remover and a q-tip.
Ink stains I never could get out, but always wanted to try that stuff on the market for getting pen and crayon marks off of walls, and gummy stuff off of widows, etc. It is oil based so it won't sink into the plastic is just used to wipe clean. Never got around to buying it though.

the muscles always came out clean and not smelling of bleach after sitting on the towel for a couple of hours. I never had any complaints from buyers or Jon about them.

A single muscle would just be cleaned with a toothbrush and anti bacterial soap under running water, rinse and towel dry.

The Soap and bleach method worked great when I sorted through a batch and had an allergic reaction to it. It must have come from a home with cats. Just dumped the whole batch into the soapy bleach water, swished, let sit, rinsed and they were just like new.

Only use enough bleach to help though, not a lot. I used maybe 1/8 of a cup or less in a large sink of soapy water.

Selling on Ebay as Kinnikumart

Check out my Ebay Auctions
HERE

My Store is now Closed!
Selling on Ebay and here on the Forum too!. Pm me or email me.

#38 toyfiend76

toyfiend76

go ahead and draw! punk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:toy collecting. music<br />transformers<br />m.u.s.c.l.e.<br />g.i.joe<br />star wars<br />spawn

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:09 PM

When Jon used to send home boxes of muscles for me to sort and clean, the best method I found was filling one side of the sink with warm water, dish soap (I used Dawn) and a little bleach. I would dump in enough muscles to fill the sink 1/2 way and stir them around with a wooden spoon (not putting my hands in water with bleach!). I would then let them sit for about an hour, swishing them around every so often. after a couple of hours max, I would fill the other side of the sink with cold water and move them over to the clear side. Then I would get a strainer and put a double handful of muscles in it, (drain the soapy side of sink), put strainer under running warm water, and check each muscle to make sure it was clean. Rinse and toss on large folded towel. If it wasn't clean, I would just take a plain toothbrush with a little liquid soap and scrub it until I got everything out of the nooks and cranny's and rinse well. then I laid them all out on a towel to dry for a couple of hours.
Paint I find will come off with just a nail scraping or for the tough ones I used non-acetate fingernail polish remover and a q-tip.
Ink stains I never could get out, but always wanted to try that stuff on the market for getting pen and crayon marks off of walls, and gummy stuff off of widows, etc. It is oil based so it won't sink into the plastic is just used to wipe clean. Never got around to buying it though.

the muscles always came out clean and not smelling of bleach after sitting on the towel for a couple of hours. I never had any complaints from buyers or Jon about them.

A single muscle would just be cleaned with a toothbrush and anti bacterial soap under running water, rinse and towel dry.

The Soap and bleach method worked great when I sorted through a batch and had an allergic reaction to it. It must have come from a home with cats. Just dumped the whole batch into the soapy bleach water, swished, let sit, rinsed and they were just like new.

Only use enough bleach to help though, not a lot. I used maybe 1/8 of a cup or less in a large sink of soapy water.

Heres an idea I've been mulling over. I use to do this with my running shoes. throw them in washing machine add some Tide powder and bleach. the white soles of my shoes would come out super white. This my be a way you could use to wash large lots. dont forget to use a laundry bag with small holes

#39 SmokinGun

SmokinGun

Weird, Wild Wrestler

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2182 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E.

Posted 17 December 2009 - 08:29 PM

Heres an idea I've been mulling over. I use to do this with my running shoes. throw them in washing machine add some Tide powder and bleach. the white soles of my shoes would come out super white. This my be a way you could use to wash large lots. dont forget to use a laundry bag with small holes

I got loads of dirty MUSCLE's and Ive been cleaning them with soap and hot water using a tooth brush. I havnt clean them in a while cuz it takes too damn long. Im skeptical in using bleach. Will it damage the material in any way or discoloration?

#40 realultimatebob

realultimatebob

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:37 PM

I tried rubbing alcohol. I bought a set that had a large number of MUSCLE with ink on their feet. So I filled a bowl slightly with rubbing alcohol and let it sit for a minute or so and just rubbed off the ink with my finger tip. Worked out nicely for the feet. Careful not to rub with your a cloth as that seemed to have wore down the plastic.

#41 Muscle Things

Muscle Things

Wart Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Interests:Coked up wrestling promos and MUSCLEs

Posted 19 December 2009 - 12:19 AM

I tried rubbing alcohol. I bought a set that had a large number of MUSCLE with ink on their feet. So I filled a bowl slightly with rubbing alcohol and let it sit for a minute or so and just rubbed off the ink with my finger tip. Worked out nicely for the feet. Careful not to rub with your a cloth as that seemed to have wore down the plastic.

I tried rubbing alcohol too and it renewed my muscles to the orginal look feel and smell even.. I put mine in a glass half filled with water and alcohol for like 5 min then buf with a soft toothbrush .. diping toothbush back in cup now and again, rinsing often with water from the faucet. and just a totally noticeable diffterence in feel and appearance and shine.

#42 animerebel

animerebel

One and only anime junkie!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:Anime, anime, and oh did I mention anime?

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:20 PM

How about permanent marker?
EDIT: nevermind, find it.

Edited by animerebel, 05 February 2010 - 02:22 PM.

#43 GRANDTHEFT

GRANDTHEFT

a.k.a. MISCHA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 06:39 AM

How about permanent marker?
EDIT: nevermind, find it.

Still, if you need any help just let us know , we'll be more than happy to help you out.

#44 Schwanke

Schwanke

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:17 PM

Unless I missed it have you guys tried Goo Gone?

I know it takes glue off of just about anything without damaging it. Wondering specifically if it would take off ink because there is a large lot of muscle up on ebay with ink stains on the feet and might be a way for me/one of us to get cheap muscle if no one wants em cuz of the stains but we can get them off.
Network Node: 1004-768.
Connection Sequence: Charley Bravo Five.
Encryption PassKey: 517.268-T.
This network has been spiritually encrypted. It is now safe to log on.
Read my book in progress: Trippin on Jesus

#45 GRANDTHEFT

GRANDTHEFT

a.k.a. MISCHA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 08:51 AM

I know it takes glue off of just about anything without damaging it. Wondering specifically if it would take off ink because there is a large lot of muscle up on ebay with ink stains on the feet and might be a way for me/one of us to get cheap muscle if no one wants em cuz of the stains but we can get them off.

That's actually a cleaning product no one has ever thought of or even tried , be interesting to know what it does to ink , then i can add it to the list , nice one Schwanke :angry2:

#46 Dabeavis

Dabeavis

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Interests:Classic Anime
    Pinball
    Video games - PC, I use emulators as well.

Mainly have Kinnikuman/MUSCLE stuff, but I also have some GI Joes and a custom painted MOBAT I found at a model show.

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:54 PM

I gonna try the toothbrush & soap method since only 10 of my Muscle figures need some cleaning

Edited by Dabeavis, 18 January 2011 - 03:11 PM.

Watching old anime as if it's in style, since whatever is trending nowadays just wouldn't suit me at all.

#47 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 03:42 PM

a few here have talked about using GOO GONE and i have used it myself... I didnt like the results as the figures had a weird smell after, enough to were i sold the figures. haha

i just use dish soap and a stiff brush after soaking the figures in boiling water.

#48 NeonGreen

NeonGreen

toychotomy on Instagram

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 06:23 AM

a few here have talked about using GOO GONE and i have used it myself... I didnt like the results as the figures had a weird smell after, enough to were i sold the figures. haha

i just use dish soap and a stiff brush after soaking the figures in boiling water.

Yeah, it's best to avoid stuff like Goo Gone, I think, at least for MUSCLEs. It's an oil (or performs like one), and it can be very hard to remove from certain surfaces entirely. It works well for removing marker and the odd sticker from old video game cartridges (what I often use it for), but things like MUSCLEs tend to be more porous, making it difficult to remove after you're done cleaning. Furthermore, for as "safe" as Goo Gone is, it actually can eat away at some plastics, even to the point of altering the outer surface or resulting in discoloration. I've had this happen once or twice in the past. For important or cherished items, I'd try something more mild, or at least water-based.

#49 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:56 AM

I just stick them in a bucket of water with washing powder overnight. That stuff is formulated to remove all kinds of gunk from laundry, so it usually gets them pretty clean. Then I wash them with soap and water to get the residue off, and use a dish brush if necessary. Basically the same as the first post in this thread actually! So this is all somewhat superfluous. But anyway, this is what works for me.
<span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#8b0000;">Stuff I'm selling: <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=220814">Madballs Water Squirters</a> *</strong></span> <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=154077">Gormiti</a> * <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=148080">Miscellaneous (MIMP, FOA etc)</a></strong></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#808000;">Stuff I really need:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=235893"><strong>HERE</strong></a></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#008000;">Stuff I collect:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...showtopic=44163"><strong>Gormiti</strong></a></span><br><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;">Get your own easy-to-use</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...ndpost&p=264795"><strong>M.U.S.C.L.E.</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">or</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...08"><strong>MIMP Series 1/2</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">checklists!</span></span>

#50 jmckinnon316

jmckinnon316

Serious Collector

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 05:28 AM

Just to chip in my tuppence worth.......

I wash each MUSCLE that arrives through my letter box (when the box is small enough) individually by using the following method:

Fill Basin with warm/hot water and add some anti-bacterial washing up (dishes) liquid
Pour the MUSCLES in
Leave them for at least 24 hours
re-fill basin with warm/hot water with some more liquid - leave them for an hour..
Wash indivdually with quite firm toothbrush
Place them back in clean water with washing-up liquid again overnight
Rinse very well with cold water and lie them on a towel, fold the towel over and pat the muscles to dry them
if I have time, I leave them in the towel overnight.

I have washed 1000+ MUSCLEs in my time and this cleans them very well, the nice smell even comes back too!

Will not remove ink, but I reckon - as someone else pointed out earlier - that ink and MUSCLES = tattoo for life!!

:)

J
My NEEDS List: HERE
My Collection: WORKING ON IT!

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com