• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters minis!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:11 PM

With the Minions prequel movie set to open on July 10th, the minions toys have arrived.  Not that they weren't already here considering the success of Despicable Me 2; however, there are a bunch of brand new minions hitting stores.  Of particular interest are the new Micro Playsets by Thinkway.  These are tiny playsets that feature 1 to 1.25 inch figures that are quite similar to the Battle Pods series that Hasbro did for the last movie.  The plastic is firmer for the new figures, and they don't come in blind-bags.  This time, they come in three-figure multi-packs with a little backdrop and a 2.5 by 4 inch plastic case.  There are 8 sets available representing various snapshots from the film (the trailer really).  Unless another wave is introduced, the total collection is a manageable 24 figures. 

The price per set is $7 (at Target), or $2.33 per figure.

I am a fan of this "micro playset" format for toys.  First, like many people here, I think the LRG size is right.  Second, it avoids the forced-duplicates of blind-bags. Third, it avoids the gluttony of large playsets and/or inclusion as game-movers in popular tie-in boardgames (as Hasbro also did for the last movie).  

While the cases are not cool like Mighty Max, it still feels like a little bonus and a ready-made means to track, sort, store, or display your collection.  I hope that these are a success so that similar "micro playsets" are created.  Thinkway currently has a partnership to release figures from older Pixar films.  Micro playsets for Toy Story or Wall-E would make my day. 

Here are the product promotional shots, followed by my photos of one playset. 

Attached Files

Edited by steverotters, 19 May 2015 - 04:48 PM.

#2 Sixthwizard

Sixthwizard

6thWizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:14 PM

The box is cool.  best part imo.

#3 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:52 PM

I would hardly call those "play sets" though. It's a freaking plastic altoids box with some mini figures and a cheap printed card back.

#4 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 19 May 2015 - 01:11 PM

One figure from each "micro playset" will be available in a Wal-Mart exclusive multi-pack.

The next scaled-up toyline (mini not micro) will have both TRU and Target exclusives, but it seems Wal-Mart gets the only micro exclusive -- which is really only exclusive by packaging, since the same figures are in the playsets too. 

Attached Files

Edited by steverotters, 19 May 2015 - 01:12 PM.

#5 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 03:13 PM

Mini display/ dioramas?

#6 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 19 May 2015 - 05:00 PM

"Bored Silly" set from their time in Antarctica. 

Marshmallow not included! 

Attached Files

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minions, despicable me, thinkway

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com