#1 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:30 PM

http://nerditis.com/...rrible-monster/

TerribleMonster-Hell.png

Terrible Monster!  Monster & Goblin!  Monster Bucket!  Bucket of Monsters!  This set of creatures is known by all of those names.  You see, among the bajillion different toys floating out there, some seem to exist outside of copyright and can be produced by anybody.  One only has to think of the plastic dinos that became D&D monsters, or thos constamtly-reappearing finger puppet monsters.  And today's set, as far as we can tell, originally showed up bagged and called "Terrible Monster," though these figures have been in lots of places under lots of different names.  I got mine off Amazon as "Monster Bucket" for $20.  That's a pretty good deal for a bunch of terrain pieces and about sixty small monster figures.

TerribleMonster-Bucket.png

Let's get this out of the way first:  This is Hell.  And not in the "Here are some mythological demons" way, I mean that, literally, this bucket is filled with the tormented souls of the damned.  We're talking some serious Hieronymous Bosch here... and since a few figures look kind of like medieval paintings, maybt that is quite appropriate, after all.  For generic monsters, these things are incredibly twisted.  They're fascinating.

TerribleMonster-Colors.png

Anyway, on a more practical note, everything in this bucket is made of cheap plastic.  There are twelve monster combinations and four colors, but your assortment is random - only one monster came in every color in my set, and I'm pretty sure I don't have a mono-color set of all of them.  I' sure that atthe factory, they throw in one of every sculpt, and then just some random handfuls. So, let's take a look at the contents of this bucket, shall we?  Starting with the terrain.

TerribleMonster-Castle.png

This castle is clearly where evil lives.  Screw Castle Grayskull, Castle Purpleskull is hardcore.  I love how the colors are bleeding, too, as if that giant snake is infecting everything it touches.

TerribleMonster-Tree.png

Okay, can you really look at this tree and tell me that it isn't Hell?  You get two of these in the set.

TerribleMonster-Coach.png

You also get two coaches and eight horses, which is great when you want to re-enact the opening scenes of Dracula.  And yes, I know that  kind of messed up with the floor terrain pieces.

TerribleMonster-Chest.png

You also get two treasure chests, both of which came with broken hinges.  They can fit a few monsters inside, though.

TerribleMonster-Devil.png

This is the Devil.  There's really no two ways about it.  Also, that severed head he's holding has a handle on the other end, so maybe it's a mask, maybe it's a shield, or maybe he jamed it into a bloody severed body part.

TerribleMonster-Witch.png

This witch is somewhat more generic than most, though I have to wonder what she is pointing at.

TerribleMonster-Hunchback.png

Maybe this guy is a zombie, but really he looks like a hunchbacked henchman from any one of many Hammer horror films. You can let him drive the coach.

TerribleMonster-FourArms.png

And then we have this.  This... thing.  What is he?  Fat rolls? A  coiled snake?  Made of tires?  Everything about him is strange, especially those wedges on his torso.

TerribleMonster-Imp.png

Remember the imps from Doom?  That's what this guy is, pretty much.  A big imp.  His fur skirt is way too short, too.

TerribleMonster-Hound.png

This horrible, twisted thing is some sort of hellhound caught in mid-gallop.  I especially love how its face is distorted and stretched for no good reason except to make us all feel uneasy.

TerribleMonster-Hole.png

What are you?  WHAT ARE YOU?!?!  This thing defies all description.   Blob?  Chicken?  Egg?  Why hole?  Webbed feet?  Smile?   AAAUUUUUAAAGH.

TerribleMonster-Mummy.png

This mummy has two heads.  Note how they are both wracked with dead-eyed agony, indicating that they are two souls bound together in torment for all eternity.

TerribleMonster-Goblin.png

This fat goblin looks horrified at the sights he is forced to witness every day.  He also has massive thumb claws.

TerribleMonster-Chubb.png

Speaking of fat goblins, this one has three eyes and a forked tongue, which is more out-and-out"medieval demon than his buddy.

TerribleMonster-Coffin.png

Is it funny that a corpse clawing its way out of its own grave is one of the less-disturbing images in this set?

TerribleMonster-Jack.png

And finally, you might think, "Oh, it's just a robot!  That's nice."  But no, look closer.  This is no robot.  Do you remember the Twilight Zone episode where that creepy child turned his father into a Jack-in-the-Box?  Yes.  Yes, this man's sveered head has been grafted onto a spring-loaded monstrosity, his eyes replaced with what could be either sticks or worms.  He is in torment, my friend.  Torment everlasting.

TerribleMonster.png

Anyway, I just want to say that, although I may hve reviwed some weird toys before, Terrible Monster really takes the cake.  Just what was going through the minds of the people who designed them?  And, uh, y'know, I'm against profiling and in favor of warrants and all, but maybe the police should just, like... pay them a visit.  Check up on them, make sure everything's all right.  Look in the basement.  or the freezer.

TerribleMonster-Collage.png

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 14 August 2015 - 12:53 PM

Great, amusing review of some of my favorite little weirdos!

I've always been curious about who designed/sculpted them and how they came up with some of the most bizarre ones.

14460229430_bb17eb3c18_n.jpg

#3 Rubberhammer

Rubberhammer

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2463 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:29 PM

Great write-up, man!

I watched that "Twilight Zone" episode, with the creepy kid, last week!

#4 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:04 PM

I watched that "Twilight Zone" episode, with the creepy kid, last week!

I remember that one Treehouse of Horrors where Homer gets turned into a jack-in-the-box, didn't know that was a borrowed premise! 

#5 TinyPink

TinyPink

Vengeful Ghost of Bubba Ritter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1551 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 03:31 PM

I remember that one Treehouse of Horrors where Homer gets turned into a jack-in-the-box, didn't know that was a borrowed premise! 

One of the best and eeriest episodes, yep.  The kid is played by Billy Mumy. (sp?)

A lot of those Treehouse shorts are based on TZ, I think.

Welcomed currency:  Rubber Uglies, rubber monsters, jigglers, vinyl monsters, Arco monsters, Imperial monsters, fish cans....

#6 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters minis!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 14 August 2015 - 08:43 PM

I can't find this bucket on ebay.  But I thought you might like the one that I did find:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4aee28015f

#7 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:00 PM

I can't find this bucket on ebay.  But I thought you might like the one that I did find:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4aee28015f

They also have this one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co...ket of monsters

Picked one up a while ago. Great set! I'll get around to reviewing it eventually.

#8 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters minis!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 14 August 2015 - 09:51 PM

Did you get the Zombies too?

http://www.amazon.co...d_bxgy_21_img_y

#9 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts

Posted 15 August 2015 - 06:48 AM

Did you get the Zombies too?

http://www.amazon.co...d_bxgy_21_img_y

Yep! But I got them in the green glow color:

http://www.amazon.co...00THFUFG8?psc=1

#10 Wibble

Wibble

Monkey in a Fez

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Garbage Pail Kids
    M.U.S.C.L.E
    M.O.T.U.S.C.L.E
    Giant retro figures

Posted 06 September 2015 - 03:35 AM

Ok, I've just blown $86 on random tubes of monsters, skeletons and zombies and it's all your fault!

A friend has moved stateside, so next time he visits the UK his luggage will just be toys for me (plus maybe enough space for a change of socks) :p

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com