356 replies to this topic

#51 DSTZach

DSTZach

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:55 AM

Are you able to give more details about this?

Well, Hasbro is not involved, so we don't have the rights to reproduce old figures, nor would we be able to continue their line in that exact style. And I do believe that the fire/wood/water gameplay concept is off the table, but we are trying to incorporate elements of factionalizing into our plans. Basically, we're taking the feeling of the original line and doing our own take on it, since no one else was. The old figures still exist, and they're great. I have a lot of them. But this is a new line, and hopefully the interchangeability and customizability will win people over.

Edited by DSTZach, 06 January 2012 - 08:57 AM.

#52 OmegaTraf

OmegaTraf

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:42 AM

Well, Hasbro is not involved, so we don't have the rights to reproduce old figures, nor would we be able to continue their line in that exact style. And I do believe that the fire/wood/water gameplay concept is off the table, but we are trying to incorporate elements of factionalizing into our plans. Basically, we're taking the feeling of the original line and doing our own take on it, since no one else was. The old figures still exist, and they're great. I have a lot of them. But this is a new line, and hopefully the interchangeability and customizability will win people over.

Warning: I'm feeling grumpy....

This makes it sounds even more like your employers/yourself could care even less about Battle Beast nostalgia and hope to blindly profit off the name alone. Why can't you make your "Own" take on your "Own" toy. Why shoehorn or tarnish the Battle Beast name with your minimates. Which if I'm not mistaken is your "Own" take on Lego figures without any legos.

#53 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:58 PM

Well he did say the gator was just a proto and they weren't going forward with that design. If they are their own and not minimate figures, id be down. :)

#54 OmegaTraf

OmegaTraf

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

Well he did say the gator was just a proto and they weren't going forward with that design.

You better look closer I think. I read this as he hopes the mini mate style will win collectors over. The 4-6 beasts figures we saw a year or so ago are the ones that are being scrapped. He did say no more Alligators but didn't say no to minimates....

If its such a unique design and concept it should be named something other than battle beasts. Gormiti did just fine in elemental factions.

Edited by OmegaTraf, 06 January 2012 - 02:14 PM.

#55 mannakat

mannakat

Electro Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:Creature junkie, werewolves, dinosaurs

Posted 06 January 2012 - 03:00 PM

You better look closer I think. I read this as he hopes the mini mate style will win collectors over. The 4-6 beasts figures we saw a year or so ago are the ones that are being scrapped. He did say no more Alligators but didn't say no to minimates....

Thats the impression I'm getting as well, from their more recent comments.

Only Minimates I've enjoyed have been the Ghostbusters figures, and of those... mostly the Terror Dogs. They're not quite as blocky.
Don't exactly hate Minimates, but as you stated they are too similar to Lego men on most occasions.

Guess it depends on what modifications they've done to the Minimates version, if that's what they're going with. Still not a huge fan, but you never know.

#56 adam16bit

adam16bit

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Laser Beasts. Battle Beasts. Beast Saga. OMFG.

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

If its such a unique design and concept it should be named something other than battle beasts. Gormiti did just fine in elemental factions.

I'm still burning over G.I. Joe's transition to 3 3/4-inches. 12-INCHES FOR LIFE DAWG

--Adam Pawlus
16bit.com and elsewhere

#57 OmegaTraf

OmegaTraf

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:57 PM

I'm still burning over G.I. Joe's transition to 3 3/4-inches. 12-INCHES FOR LIFE DAWG

Not even close. Try harder Troll.

#58 adam16bit

adam16bit

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 04:58 PM

Not even close. Try harder Troll.

Thank you, thank you. I accept your burns as scars of initiation.

--Adam Pawlus
16bit.com and elsewhere

#59 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:49 PM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have every Gator so far (except for the Silver one) and I love them! I'm a pretty big Minimate fan too, though.

#60 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I have every Gator so far (except for the Silver one) and I love them! I'm a pretty big Minimate fan too, though.

Same here. I have every Gator so far (and even multiples of every exept for the Silver one) and even if the old ones will still be the best in my earth those Minimates ones are really impressive. I can't wait to have more of them. I have never bought any Minimates before the Silver Gator so I can't say that I'm a big Minimates fan. With this BB line DST won a new customer.

#61 DSTZach

DSTZach

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 07:45 AM

This makes it sounds even more like your employers/yourself could care even less about Battle Beast nostalgia and hope to blindly profit off the name alone. Why can't you make your "Own" take on your "Own" toy. Why shoehorn or tarnish the Battle Beast name with your minimates. Which if I'm not mistaken is your "Own" take on Lego figures without any legos.

Yes, we could have created a line called "Warrior Animals," but starting a collectible toy line with no media tie-in is a tall order -- many flame out within a year. We're a toy company, so of course we need to sell toys to survive. The built-in nostalgia for the name "Battle Beasts" will hopefully make people take a second look at our line, which means it will actually have a chance at retail, meaning it might last longer than a year, which means we can make more figures for people to collect. ...Plus, you have to admit the name "Battle Beasts" is much catchier. :)

You can call that "blindly profiting", but we actually love the original Battle Beasts, so when we found out we could bring back such a great concept with a slightly modified play pattern, we were excited for the possibilities. Not being able to reproduce the original line exactly was never an issue for us, because we didn't want to -- those toys are there, there's nothing to fix, and as I said before, not many other places to go with them. Hopefully, the existence of our line doesn't tarnish your enjoyment of the original. Since we're in the same scale, we might even make a few items that work with what you have already.

Not trying to change hearts and minds, just responding to what I'm reading. I was a fan of Battle Beasts from Day One (remember buying Sheep and Bison in '86), so I'm pretty excited. Sad that fans are already using words like "tarnish," without seeing what is coming. Hopefully, we'll impress you guys.

#62 ComradeCuttlefish

ComradeCuttlefish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:21 AM

People need to realize that just because the name is being reused does NOT mean a spirit is going to swoop into your houses at night and magically change your Hasbro Battle Beasts into Lego-looking Minimates. I am content with my Hasbro Battle Beasts collection. I am not worried that the name is being reused or concerned that these Lego-like Battle Beasts will in any way degrade what I collect.

Perhaps our biggest problem will now be having to preface what we write with "Hasbro" Battle Beasts in order to clarify we are talking about our kewl vintage toys and not these mishmashed animal-Lego-minifigure things that happen to carry the same name. :)

#63 DSTZach

DSTZach

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

People need to realize that just because the name is being reused does NOT mean a spirit is going to swoop into your houses at night and magically change your Hasbro Battle Beasts into Lego-looking Minimates. I am content with my Hasbro Battle Beasts collection. I am not worried that the name is being reused or concerned that these Lego-like Battle Beasts will in any way degrade what I collect.

Perhaps our biggest problem will now be having to preface what we write with "Hasbro" Battle Beasts in order to clarify we are talking about our kewl vintage toys and not these mishmashed animal-Lego-minifigure things that happen to carry the same name. :)

While it ended on a kind of mean note, Cuttlefish is right. Nothing could possibly tarnish the original Battle Beasts.

#64 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:09 AM

I think the designers did a great job capturing the feel of the old figures, too. And I'm pretty sure we're done with the gator. The new designs are even cooler, and hopefully they'll win some Mate-haters back to the fold.

Hahaha, "Mate-hater"...;. Perfect, and that is absolutely me.
I do look forward to seeing the new offerings, if they are anything like what was pictured above.

#65 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:49 AM

Am I correct in assuming that the largest issue here is that BB fans are somewhat disappointed that the new BB's won't be "takara/hasbro" styled beasts? Not so much that they despise the Mini-mate lines, but more that the new ones (regardless of who is making them or what style they will be) won't be like the old ones.

#66 GammaJetpunch

GammaJetpunch

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 10:54 AM

I think the designers did a great job capturing the feel of the old figures, too. And I'm pretty sure we're done with the gator. The new designs are even cooler, and hopefully they'll win some Mate-haters back to the fold.

Hmmm... normally me being a hater for past transgressions... if you say that "captured the feel of the old figures" and "New designs look even cooler"... Something... "optimism" let's call it, tells me that maybe there's some hope for this toy line...

Don't play my optimism like a punk.

#67 adam16bit

adam16bit

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

Am I correct in assuming that the largest issue here is that BB fans are somewhat disappointed that the new BB's won't be "takara/hasbro" styled beasts? Not so much that they despise the Mini-mate lines, but more that the new ones (regardless of who is making them or what style they will be) won't be like the old ones.

I was asking a few other collectors the same thing. I get a pretty constant flow of questions at a toy Q&A column I write asking if Hasbro will ever make new 1978-1985-style Kenner Star Wars figures (Tarkin, Maul, etc.) and I can see both sides of the issue. On one hand, it'd be cool to see another dozen figures in the old style. On the other... well, I like new things too, especially when the old ones aren't exactly overpriced (save for the lasers) on the secondary market.

Having said that...

I absolutely *would love* to hear if, someday in the distant future, after Minimates and Diamond's relaunch does so well that they're reaching for a clever exclusive for a convention or online retailer, they might consider doing something classic-ish just for fun. (Doesn't even have to have a rubsign or a laser.) While the original line did do a wonderful job spanning over 100 creatures great and small, there weren't all that many insects, dinosaurs, or mythological creatures. I look forward to seeing the line's new direction and I hope it does well enough that DST can do something absurd and make a new 198X sculpt or two, maybe, as a one-off kinda like how Hasbro did its mail-in Rocket Firing Boba Fett. I like new stuff, but that sort of thing makes me happy too-- I'd be stoked to see an non-custom mass-release Orca, Triceratops, Butterfly, or whatever.

It's not entirely unprecedented-- didn't Jakks Pacific crank out some LJN-style WWF/WWE figures? It's unusual, but not without merit. You know, if someday, maybe, the need arises for such a thing as a special insert in an assortment maybe.

--Adam Pawlus
16bit.com and elsewhere

#68 mannakat

mannakat

Electro Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:Creature junkie, werewolves, dinosaurs

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:44 PM

For a few, it seems the issue may be more the style that the beasts are set in (blocky vs. curvy, piece together vs. single piece, etc) than them needing to look exactly like the old beasts.

The Mini-mates have rather large shoes to fill with some collectors, and I think part of it is that the original sculpts were so impressive for their time period and had tons of character from beast to beast.
Even my Fiance, who isn't as crazy about Battle Beasts in general, admires the original beasts. Compared to the new ones his reply is 'something's off'. Granted, neither of us have had a chance to see/inspect the gator prototype in person, but from the images it's, 'yeah, it's neat.... but something is off'

For me, aside from my nit-pick about the gator sculpts waist, the toy was too blocky (yeah, I know. Sound like a broken record :rolleyes: )
I love Gundams, MegaMan X Mavericks (which could be looked at as android battle beasts in a way), Zoids, Bionicles, Transformers, and the old Macross bots, but even they had more curves than the proto gator (and proportioned a tad bit better). But the saving grace is, the gator is a proto, and they have plenty of time to go 'Yeah, we like this direction. But how can we push this idea even further?' and make all sorts of modifications and adjustments to their design(s). It seems they're hinting at some interchangeability with the toys, which I'll admit I don't care all that much for (it seems like it would take away from individual designs, but for customization purposes it's a perfect idea) but hey... if you don't want to do such a thing, you wouldn't have to.
The above are why I liked the other, multiple sculpts from early last year (2011). They had an idea that seemed more 'complete', especially since you had multiple beasts to get a better idea of where they were going with things. Plus, curves!

New things are great, but lets face it. The original beasts have a lot of charm, and merge the idea of organic beasts and armored/robotic warriors together almost perfectly.
DST is up against nostalgia, and an idea that doesn't need to be changed, they just don't seem to have a choice if they want to revive the line. But they still have a chance, and they have to care.... otherwise, one of em wouldn't be here.

For me, I'mma just wait and see how things turn out before any congratulations/condemnations are solidified.
Anyway, just my two cents.

Edited by khaomera, 10 January 2012 - 01:37 PM.

#69 transformersontheshelf

transformersontheshelf

The Toy Store Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Interests:Toys and Games of all sorts!

Posted 10 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

after reading through all these posts, it is nice to know there is someone on the inside, here, with us and listening. I'm anxious to see what the line looks like. As a retailer I'm also anxious to carry the line but right now only special order 90% of the toys on the market due to insanely high costs and next to no profit margin.

#70 Jestermon

Jestermon

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

Come on new playsets.
Posted Image

#71 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:11 AM

The Battle Beasts have their own Twitter now : http://twitter.com/#!/battlebeasts

Lost in space for millennia, the Battle Beasts have returned to Earth.

I like the allusion to all the years fans have been waiting for a Battle Beasts return. It reminds me that we started back in the late 90's with a petition adressed to Hasbro in the first BB community board.

#72 AFCMan

AFCMan

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 10:15 AM

While it ended on a kind of mean note, Cuttlefish is right. Nothing could possibly tarnish the original Battle Beasts.

On a personal note,,,,I'm a MASSIVE fan of the original Battle Beasts, but I don't care what they look like or how 'blocky' the new ones are, just PLEASE,,,for god's sake,,,SELL THEM HERE IN THE UK!!!!! :D :D :D

#73 Preacher

Preacher

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:38 AM

I know they released the Gator a few times as convention exclusives, but this appears to be a countdown to an official announcement.

http://www.diamondse...tle-beasts.html
I can't stand Haiku.
It's not clever OR funny.
And requires no skill.

#74 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:27 AM

News ! www.battlebeast.com

There will be a comics and a exclu at C2E2.

#75 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

Merged topics and renamed the original one.

I can't wait to score one of the C2E2 beasts!

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com