10 replies to this topic

#1 Exactobeast

Exactobeast

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:09 AM

Now, I love making battle beast customs, but a few months ago my interest was starting to wane (just a teeny tiny bit).  I was looking for a NM Ox to finish my basic set and stumbled across an ebay seller offering buyers choice of virtually any beast.  In this single glorious photo were 2 undisclosed, not for sale beasts I had never seen.  I was astonished.  I was intrigued.  I became mildly obsessed.  Honestly, this single photo led to me searching everywhere on the net and eventually to discovering the absolute wonderment of LRG.  Thank you very much photo.  I learned that the mysterious beasts were the Canadian War Monsters line and I also quickly learned how unlikely it was that I would get my hands on some (though I have seen a single ebay auction for 3 that went off for $225).  This was an unacceptable proposition. 

And so behold:

Attached File  image1.JPG   92.83K   14 downloads

How could I not slice and dice myself a custom set?  What i liked most about this process, is that it seemed almost like the entire line was made by a mad scientist.  Trying to break them down, I realized that besides the obvious Tiger, Zebra, Bat, Snake, Gator, and Buffalo I would also need parts from a Spider, Rhinoceros, Porcupine, Deer, Bear, Shark, Ant Eater, Fox, and from my own designs Moose, Panther, and Tapir.  I tried to mimic the originals as best I could in actual design. When it came to the painting, I mimicked, but then had to give them some flourish to make them my own.  Enjoy!!!

Bobcat

Attached File  image2.JPG   54K   15 downloadsAttached File  image3.JPG   46.4K   4 downloads

War Monster Bobcat is: Crocodile Legs, Rhino Torso, Porcupine arms, Ant Eater Hand, and.......Panther head (to which I added the cheeks of an actual tiger figure's head).  I originally was going with the tiger head on it's own, but wasn't happy with the mouth in comparison to the original.  I toyed around a little with panther and ended up pretty happy with the result.

Original:Attached File  130a.jpg   54.52K   8 downloads

Bull

Attached File  image6.JPG   52.94K   7 downloadsAttached File  image7.JPG   61.2K   5 downloads

War Monster Bull is: Moose legs, Buffalo torso, Moose arms, and Buffalo head.  The hand is an amalgam of one of the claspers from Ant Eater's weapon and a spike through the center

Original:Attached File  124.jpg   48.2K   6 downloads

Gator

Attached File  image8.JPG   46.15K   6 downloadsAttached File  image9.JPG   48.25K   5 downloads

War Monster Gator is: Bear Legs, Gator Torso and head.  Getting the arms right was tricky. I matched Ant Eater shoulders to Shark forearms, and used the Tapir Hands to simulate the actual claw design.  I also had to attach the Gator tail.  Who can't love that little stump?

Original:Attached File  126.jpg   55.83K   8 downloads

Bat

Attached File  image10.JPG   53.33K   8 downloadsAttached File  image11.JPG   49.39K   5 downloads

War Monster Bat is: Rhino Feet, Bat legs and Torso, Tiger Arms, Bat head.  I added a sticker holder to the torso. I clipped the wings a bit to help match up, to mediocre success.  For the face, I originally was planning on simply scarring up the right side, but by the end of that effort I had made such a hole that I tried inserting an upside down bat eye and cheek from another figure.  Quite a bit of sanding later and I think it worked out nicely.  The hand blade was carved from the leftover torso of a snake.

Original:Attached File  127.jpg   68.25K   8 downloads

Snake

Attached File  image12.JPG   48.88K   8 downloadsAttached File  image13.JPG   58.69K   8 downloads

War Monster Snake is:  Spider legs and Torso. I then grafted the snake neck and head on and added a sticker holder. I just happened to have some Moose parts lying around from the bull mod and so I used the antlers for the neck flair. I thought about shaving them down, but ended up leaving the ridges. The left arm is snake into spider hand.  The right arm is a little funky because I salvaged some random snake arms to graft together and give it a similar shoulder to hand look as the left. 

Original:Attached File  128.jpg   45.24K   10 downloads

Unicorn

Attached File  image4.JPG   57.67K   8 downloadsAttached File  image5.JPG   40.67K   6 downloads

War Monsters Unicorn is: Buffalo legs, Fox Torso, Buffalo arms, Deer Drill, Zebra Head, and Rhino Horn.  Somehow, despite using 5 figure's pieces, this one was the easiest. 

Original:Attached File  125.jpg   48.11K   5 downloads

All remaining parts have found a wondrous future purpose already, except for a singular snake torso, which shall now be chopped and diced for random accoutrement

#2 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 30 December 2015 - 11:32 AM

Wow very nice work you've put into these. Seems your username is quite fitting ;)

#3 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:06 PM

Great work man! I'm really loving your customs.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#4 bot3ro

bot3ro

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts - Laser Beasts - Beast Saga - Nintendo - Photography - Travel - Scuba Diving - Football

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:16 PM

Awesome customs! Really like your work.

#5 108KickBack

108KickBack

Beast-Former Gatherer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:Laser Beasts, Battle Beasts,Anything Beastformer, Insects,Bugs and arachnids.

Posted 30 December 2015 - 03:06 PM

Great work.

#6 Tars Tarkas

Tars Tarkas

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 December 2015 - 06:02 PM

Those are great!!!

Posted Image

#7 JonnyPac

JonnyPac

The beast collector in the boonies...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1110 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 01:49 PM

Great job!

#8 Grencats

Grencats

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 03:38 PM

Wow, I love the expression on the Bobcat nice work. I'm missing the red Ox or Bull Canadian War Monsters and then I'll have all six without accessories. Does anyone have any extras for sale?

#9 Amanamen

Amanamen

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 10:40 AM

Hi there fellas.

I've had these two (Croc and Bobcat without rubs and weapons) since I was young and I am considering to sell them to a fellow collector (not a friend, so no charity). It seems impossible to find any sold listings of these on eBay so I googled and found this forum... Help me out here, what would be a decent price for the two?

Kind regards

Hannes

https://scontent-arn...ba6&oe=582B6AA8

#10 Exactobeast

Exactobeast

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 11:13 AM

Maybe $100-150 for the pair.

#11 Amanamen