• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 TwoHeadedBoy

TwoHeadedBoy

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Interests:Monster In My Pocket, Thingz That Go Bump In The Night, Mighty Max, TMNT, Boglins, cheap and nasty monsters of any sort...

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

Sorry if this has already been discussed... But I have the green set of Series 2, and I can't open the pot without almost being knocked over by a huge whiff of what smells like skunk (as in, not the animal, but the other thing).

Great figures all the same, but that smell! They're staying in the pot for now, unless anyone knows of how to make them less... Potent?

My comics blog - mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s
Collection Piccies!
Identify these toys?

WANT/NEED! Warmonger (from Mighty Max's Skull Mountain), will trade for Alien Magic!

#2 Matlock

Matlock

My name is matlock and i am a lrg addict.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E.
    Nintendo - NES,SNES,N64,GB,GBA,DS,3DS
    Lego- Mini Figs
    Micro Machines.
    BB.
    GPK.Cheapies, and OS Cards.
    Minikins.
    Bouncy balls.
    Dice.
    Dino's.
    Trash pack.
    Homies.
    Slugs.
    MIMP.
    Savage Mondo Blitzers.
    Uglies.
    Customs.
    All other cool looking little rubber guys!!
    Hand Blown Glass.
    Pliers.
    Marbles.
    Rocks/Minerals
    Knives.
    Hats.
    Old mason jars.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

Sorry if this has already been discussed... But I have the green set of Series 2, and I can't open the pot without almost being knocked over by a huge whiff of what smells like skunk (as in, not the animal, but the other thing).

Great figures all the same, but that smell! They're staying in the pot for now, unless anyone knows of how to make them less... Potent?

Mine Stink like that to. Green series one smells like dank also.. My wife says all she can smell plastic. Thats weird.
I don't think it's been discussed but it need to be aired out.. I was hopeing there was nugget in the bottom. lol
Brown chicken , brown cow

#3 waaaaghlord

waaaaghlord

C.UT.I.E. Owners Club Founder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:34 PM

Keeping them in the can will only prolong the smell. It'll go away eventually if they're left out in the open to air out but a good tip I picked up from the OT forums is to seal them in some tupperware with some charcoal for a few days to draw the new plastic smell out faster.
soundwave wrote "don't insult my bananna!!!!!!!!!"

#4 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

Yeah, what's weird is that for some of the color sets, they used a new base plastic, so not only did they get the new skunk smell, but they also didn't match up color-wise. I was a bit bummed that the green didn't match, but I like the more neon look of the S2 Green.

The only sets I know of that used the same plastic base as before were Rotofugi blue and UofM yellow, neither of which have the skunk smell.

#5 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 06 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

Rotofugi blue and UofM yellow just went up in value, haha. I've noticed the smell as well. :sick:
Posted Image

#6 Stratos

Stratos

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

Mine smelled too but eventually aired out. Someone suggested putting them in the freezer for a while - apparently the cold draws out the stench. Haven't tried it. Let us know if it works or not. :)

#7 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

I tried freezing them but it didn't really work. I only left them in for a day, though, so maybe it needs to be longer. That smell is so awful. I saw a couple people on the OT forums saying they enjoyed the smell...to each his own, but I have a hard time understanding the appeal of skunk fart smell. :p

14460229430_bb17eb3c18_n.jpg

#8 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

i just had mine out for awhile and the smell went away.

ive never heard of freezing a figure to remove scents. weird.

#9 iwao

iwao

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1481 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 06:01 PM

I don't mind the smell, but I don't hold them up to my nose and inhale them. I'm not letting my LRG can sets air out. I think I would miss the smell when it's gone.

#10 KingJefferson

KingJefferson

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

Posted Image

cool-monkey-drummer.gif

#11 TwoHeadedBoy

TwoHeadedBoy

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Interests:Monster In My Pocket, Thingz That Go Bump In The Night, Mighty Max, TMNT, Boglins, cheap and nasty monsters of any sort...

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:36 AM

Good to see mine aren't the only ones then, ha ha!

I live in a very small place with no outside areas, so leaving them out of the tub for a while isn't an option - I'll give the Tupperware idea a try, cheers :)

My comics blog - mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s
Collection Piccies!
Identify these toys?

WANT/NEED! Warmonger (from Mighty Max's Skull Mountain), will trade for Alien Magic!

#12 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:38 AM

ive never heard of freezing a figure to remove scents. weird.

Yes you have. :yes: How could you possibly forget? :cry:

Posted Image

#13 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

Oh yeah~!!

Edited by Ericnilla, 07 March 2013 - 12:26 PM.

#14 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
  • Interests:MIMP
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

This and that - mostly that!

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:33 PM

I swear somebody over at OT (Monsterforge maybe) suggested putting them with fire briquets/coal in a bag and they would draw out the smell. I know it sounds weird, but it's on the forum somewhere :thumbsup:

#15 jphat

jphat

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

I was just smelling my ice set today, it's fantastic!

#16 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

I swear somebody over at OT (Monsterforge maybe) suggested putting them with fire briquets/coal in a bag and they would draw out the smell. I know it sounds weird, but it's on the forum somewhere :thumbsup:

It doesn't sound weird at all, carbon is used to remove odours and impurities all the time.
<span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#8b0000;">Stuff I'm selling: <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=220814">Madballs Water Squirters</a> *</strong></span> <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=154077">Gormiti</a> * <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=148080">Miscellaneous (MIMP, FOA etc)</a></strong></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#808000;">Stuff I really need:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=235893"><strong>HERE</strong></a></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#008000;">Stuff I collect:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...showtopic=44163"><strong>Gormiti</strong></a></span><br><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;">Get your own easy-to-use</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...ndpost&p=264795"><strong>M.U.S.C.L.E.</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">or</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...08"><strong>MIMP Series 1/2</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">checklists!</span></span>

#17 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
  • Interests:MIMP
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

This and that - mostly that!

Posted 10 March 2013 - 01:09 AM

It doesn't sound weird at all, carbon is used to remove odours and impurities all the time.

Exactly, as I seem to recall it being used as part of aquarium filtration systems back when I used to have a fish tank. Wasn't sure if those unfamiliar with the idea would have been a bit sceptical. I must admit that my S2 sets have lost some of their odour on their own luckily, but it still creeps into my nose from time to time. My clear Armorvor smells pretty potent too.

#18 Fuzz

Fuzz

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy collecting obscure toy lines from the 80s, as well as some of the newer stuff like NECA's Predator line.

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:50 PM

Holy shit! I just opened a pack of flesh series two, and they smell friggin' awful! My son smelled them from across the room!

#19 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:32 AM

Charcoal is used in filters for trash compactors sooooo..... yeah sounds more like common sen.... nevermind.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com