Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Official Gormiti US release date: Spring 2009!

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#51 SaltLakeToyJunkee

SaltLakeToyJunkee

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:52 AM

• Fiery Hammer (FE) and Earthshaker
  • Whip (FE) and Steelback
  • Tongs and Earthshaker (FE)
  • Crabs and Spider (FE)
  • Hammer and Goad (FE)
  • Mole and Solitary Eagle (FE)
  • Steelback (FE) and Steelbeak
  • Thug and Guardian (FE)
  • Fiery Hammer and Steelbeak (FE)
  • Mimic (FE) and Goad
  • Whip and Tongs (FE)
  • Mimic and Mole (FE)
  • Spider and Thug (FE)
Not in numeric order, aside from your additions. That leaves:

Solitary Eagle (E)
Screaming Guardian (E)
Hammer (FE)
Crabs (FE)

Which of course is not implausible and fits the missing two spots. That also means the following characters don't appear in the two-packs and thus must be in the four-packs.

Blind Fury
Gravitus
Hideoutfinder
Wise Destroyer
Florus the Poisoner
Branchtearer
Ancient Jellyfish
Mantra
Delos
Magic Lookout
Severe Guardian
Alos
Electricon
Thoughtcatcher
Insecticus

Now, do the four-packs come with figures that correspond to the included Lord, or do they mix it up?

The four packs are mixed. There is no correspondence to the lord. The packs I have looked at there are only Enehrgheia figs inside. All Final Evolution that I have seen are in the two packs. I myself will be going to Target again today so I will check it out and report about the four packs.

#52 War Weasel

War Weasel

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 07:47 AM

My Targets need to get off their behinds and get the fours in! They're both still busy shifting/closing out post-Christmas stock (whole aisles are completely empty pending some big reorganization), so maybe they're holding them back until they get things situated. ;)

#53 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 03:36 PM

Scalpers on eBay already trying to hock 4-packs for $25. :D

#54 Liz Sherman

Liz Sherman

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Stargate, Firefly, Doctor Who
    MUSCLE, Care Bears, Snorks, Boglins,
    Texas Rangers Baseball!!

Posted 11 January 2009 - 10:22 PM

The official site says they are available at Target, Walmart, and TRU. We didn't see any at Walmart and haven't checked TRU yet and they aren't available at any of the store websites.

Has anyone seen them anywhere other than Target?

How much are the 4 packs in stores? I have yet to see anything other than 2 packs.

Edited by Liz Sherman, 12 January 2009 - 04:40 AM.

Boglins I Need - any color
The Medievals: Scout Mors
The Prehistorics: Spy Dork
The Samurai: Scout Yell, Spy Yak, Spy Yum, Yen, Yule, Yarn, Yelp
Slimes: Splutter, Splurge

#55 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

The Man on the Silver Mountain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Monster In My Pocket, Gormiti, Trash Pack, other LRGs that may strike my fancy, and other stuff no-one else likely gives a damn about

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:48 AM

Has anyone seen them anywhere other than Target?

I keep looking every time I go to Wal-Mart, but no dice so far.

Current collecting goal: obtain all 148 Monster In My Pocket Series 1 figures in regular colors (71.62% there)

So many toys, so little money!

#56 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Battle Beast minmates, Armorvors, Hot Sauce, Tea, Pearl Jam, Films, Camers, Animals, Chameleons and lizards

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:59 AM

I have only seen them at Target so far. I just saw the 4 packs and the Starter pack at the Target on Randall road in Batavia. The 4 packs were 9.99, the starter pack was 19.99. The starter pack comes with 5 lava figures, a comic book, a short DVD and a map or Gorm.

Eric

#57 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:15 PM

...only five? There's seven Lava characters, so what's the deal? A person has to buy two starters to get all seven? Or did you miscount by chance?

#58 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:41 PM

only five characters and they seem to be the same sculpts in the packs no matter what. i think you pick up the remaining two figures from the two-packs.

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#59 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:58 PM

Well, not in the two-packs as we've figured them out so far, otherwise there goes our magic number, and that means there would have to be 16 or even 17 sets.

Also, the opposite side of the map specifically states all seven are "Starter Pack Exclusives" and highlights them separately.

Which five come in the pack, and which two don't?

EDIT: Never mind, the scalpers on eBay had a starter. Lavion of course, plus Fiery Angel, Firespitter, Lavor, and Wicked. Multiform Anonymous and Mastodontic aren't accounted for, yet. Also saw the four-packs and like the way they paired the figures together, in much the same way as with the UK versions.

Edited by Boaconda, 12 January 2009 - 02:17 PM.

#60 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 12 January 2009 - 03:37 PM

i snagged two 2-packs today and cracked 'em open right away to play with. got sets 5 & 12. anyway, upon examining the cards i noticed that they're stamped the in bottom right corner with a kind of serial number, "wst8301". anyone know what these numbers mean? it's the same on all the cards. maybe a region-"west" and the case number-"8301"? seems odd to have these stamped in the corner, i'll see if i can get a decent pick of the number to post for your inquiring eyes.

here's the pic:
Attached File  stamped_card.jpg   445.08K   1 downloads

notice the stamped number. on my crabs the avenger card it's pressed into the card so hard that it has bent the bottom of the card nearly creasing it. the cards i got in foil packs from a guy who attended the licensing convention in the middle of last year didn't have this number stamped to the card. of course they're completely different cards in that they are the original italian cards.

Edited by dankingery, 12 January 2009 - 03:47 PM.

#61 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:07 PM

Ok, Jackpot! My Target got them in. Man, the packaging looks cool. The 2 packs are really sweet. I didn't get a starter set yet. Is tech comic and dvd cool at all?

#62 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 04:34 PM

That's an assortment number, Dan. Lots of things, including toys, have those numbers stamped on them, in one place or another. Figures with the same number merely indicate they were manufactured in the same facility and as part of the same production run.

#63 musclemenkids

musclemenkids

Stompin' on your face!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 06:56 PM

when i got the volcano playset i got a dvd and it was not too good to be honest, here is what it was like (except it was in English) i don't know if it will be the same for the US tho

http://uk.youtube.co...h?v=AOdYJ3AKD6c

Ok, Jackpot! My Target got them in. Man, the packaging looks cool. The 2 packs are really sweet. I didn't get a starter set yet. Is tech comic and dvd cool at all?

"FRUIT OOZE IS WETLY LEWD SO
STAY DRY IN RUBBER BOOTS AND.."

#64 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

I have a feeling that the video on the DVD is the same origin story as what you can watch on the Gormiti website, but... seeing as I have no Target, I wouldn't know. :D

#65 LethalWhip

LethalWhip

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Transformers, G.I.Joe, Star Wars, Battle Beasts, and Gormiti.

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:42 AM

Hey all, I can't tell you how psyched I was to find this great toy line on the shelf the other day. I of course found mine at Target. The two local Targets had the 2packs, 4packs, and starter kit, priced at $5.99, $9.99, & $19.99 respectively. I even managed to have an employee bring me a case of 2packs so I could see what was up. The case contained 10 different 2packs matching the 20 that were already out on the shelf. I bought my set of 2packs, and the starter set on day 1, then I nabbed the 5 4packs on day two. Each Store only had one set of the 4packs on the shelf. I was also happy to see at one store they had between 10-20 2packs, so somebody is getting these already. I think this is going to be the start of a great line here in the US. I will try and have the checklist of characters I found and there packouts posted later this week possibly with pics.

#66 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:56 AM

Wow, looks like you scored pretty well LethalWhip. Oh, and welcome!

#67 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Battle Beast minmates, Armorvors, Hot Sauce, Tea, Pearl Jam, Films, Camers, Animals, Chameleons and lizards

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:21 AM

I purchased the Starter Pack. My Lava figures were the same, all of them except Multiform and Mastodontic. Which was great for me as those were the only two Lava figures I already had, except for Lavion himself. So it worked out quite nicely.

I watched the DVD. It's a 15 minute origin story of the Gormiti that is quite bad actually. Which is a shame. It's all CGI. The CGI models of the Gormiti are a little simplistic and almost too kiddish/cartoonish. The background animations though are actually quite nice for something at this level. I was impressed by that part of the DVD. The story is a little convoluted. Essentially it comes down to a timeless battle between the Old Sage (a good, shaman like wizard) and an evil fire lord (already forgot his name). Essentially the fire lord creates Magmion and Lavion who then go into the villages of the original gormiti people and wipe them out. After a time, Magmion and Lavion begin to run low on power and return to the volcano and the fire lord within. The Old Sage's tears form together with the magic of the island to form a glowing sphere called the eye of gorm or something along those lines. I wish I was kidding on the tears part! This orb creates the new gormiti, which are the different tribes associated with each element; air, water, earth and forest. Everything is peaceful. The 4 tribes have a balance of coexistence until the fire lord and his magma and lava tribes return. The fire lord casts a spell over the gormiti, confusing them into fighting each other. Gheos seems to be the main character through out the DVD, and he is unaffected by the spell but begins fighting anyways, saying that he wants to protect his people and think of them only if that is what all the other tribes are going to do.

I have some major gripes with the DVD. First off, in the story, they keep mentioning the "tribes" of warriors that make up the island of gormiti. However, we only ever see the 6 bosses. It was pretty obvious that they just wanted to make CGI models of the "main characters" instead of all the numerous gormiti. It was just a little silly how they would describe large tribes going to battle, and then they would show 4 gormiti in a fist fight with 2 evil gormiti. There was another spot where the narrator said how the 4 large tribes got together annually to honor the Old Sage in a massive celebration, and then they show Gheos and the three other gormiti bosses sitting around a camp fire.

My other gripe is the lack of proofreading and spell checking on the DVD. As a special feature, they have descriptions of each Gormiti, as well as the picture of their corresponding figure. The description is essentially their card text, which is actually a nice feature. But they spell the names wrong several times. Each tribe seems to have one of their characters spelled wrong. For instance, if you go to the Magma section of the special feature, The Thoughtcatcher is spelled as The Toughcatcher. Then when you click on him to open up his page, at the top its spelled The Thoughcatcher. Two different spellings of the same character, both wrong. This actually happens quite frequently.

The comic book on the other hand is actually quite good. It's art is actually really really good and well stylized. They show a large number of gormiti, and some of them look quite monstrous and scary, especially the magma/lava gormiti. I really liked how they depicted Spider the Cruel. Some fantastic artwork. The story is very similar to the DVD, but they go into a good amount more detail. The only complaint is that a different translation crew must have been working on the comic book because several of the names are translated incorrectly. For example, The Thoughtcatcher is called The Thought-Snatcher. Not a big complaint, but it does seem sometimes like there are inconsistencies with the translations of Gormiti from Italian to English for the UK and USA releases.

It really feels like the comic and the DVD are catering gormiti to different demographics. The DVD is obviously very younger kids while the comic is written for an older kid. Not sure if that is good or not. It could be that they are trying to spread the appeal of gormiti to multiple age groups or it could mean that they don't know exactly how they want to market it here in the US. I personally was more a fan of the comic and it's darker, more mature tone.

The map is pretty nice too. It is pretty well detailed, and has locations of various playsets. The poster of all the gormiti on the back is nice too.

Overall though I still enjoyed the set. The DVD was fun to watch, even if me and Jenny were laughing most of the time. And the comic book were fun to watch. I also liked that I was able to get the last Lava figures that I needed in one fell swoop. I sort of wish they had different starter box sets though, maybe one for each tribe or atleast a couple different tribes with the box containing 5 figures, all from that tribe.

Eric

#68 SpyMagician

SpyMagician

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:11 PM

I'm thrilled to be seeing Gormiti on the shelves in the US!

The only worry I have is that the game is far too simplistic. It's simple math, higher total wins with no strategy or even a luck element (rolling dice, throwing Gormiti, etc.)

The main competition for Gormiti has to be Bakugan, and like them or not, the game is much more sophisticated especially in the series 2 rules. It combines strategy using different card/bakugan combos as well as a skill/luck element in the rolling of the Bakugan.

I suspect Gormiti's popularity has never really been about the game, more about fun little figures, and honestly a comparison to Bakugan isn't really right as Bakugan is much more a game while Gormiti are more toys.

But I'm afraid that a lot of kids/parents will see make that comparison anyway and that Gormiti will fall short.

The other problem is that Gormiti doesn't seem to have the marketing push Bakugan has. Bakugan had a tour with play demos and freebies as well as a (mediocre) TV show.

With the game being too simple to demo in store really, and no US tv show, I worry that Gormiti lacks the push to be successful in the US market...

All that said, I'm supporting the line as much as I can (buying doubles even for customizing) and no matter how long it lasts, I'm thrilled that a honest to goodness unlicensed in house TOYLINE from Europe has made it even this far!

Spy

#69 bronchuseven

bronchuseven

pentagonal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 01:09 PM

• Fiery Hammer (FE) and Earthshaker
  • Whip (FE) and Steelback
  • Tongs and Earthshaker (FE)
  • Crabs and Spider (FE)
  • Hammer and Goad (FE)
  • Mole and Solitary Eagle (FE)
  • Steelback (FE) and Steelbeak
  • Thug and Guardian (FE)
  • Fiery Hammer and Steelbeak (FE)
  • Mimic (FE) and Goad
  • Whip and Tongs (FE)
  • Mimic and Mole (FE)
  • Spider and Thug (FE)
Not in numeric order, aside from your additions. That leaves:

Solitary Eagle (E)
Screaming Guardian (E)
Hammer (FE)
Crabs (FE)

Which of course is not implausible and fits the missing two spots.

You're correct - in LethalWhip's page you can see the remaining figures in the pics he took:
Solitary Eagle / Crabs (FE)

Screaming Guardian / Hammer (FE)

That's all 15 2-packs accounted for! Now if only the remaining volcano figs would turn up..

#70 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 14 January 2009 - 02:19 PM

i wonder if they'll be in the volcano playset if and when it gets released.

#71 bronchuseven

bronchuseven

pentagonal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:35 PM

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking would happen too. Now, what I really want to see is some of the vehicles to make it to the US!

I just bought my first Gormiti yesterday at Target (Steelback & FE Whip) and I love them! I can't wait to go back and get more. It was really difficult to resist going today.. we'll see how well I hold out tomorrow :blush:

#72 Liz Sherman

Liz Sherman

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Star Trek, Stargate, Firefly, Doctor Who
    MUSCLE, Care Bears, Snorks, Boglins,
    Texas Rangers Baseball!!

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:26 PM

We finally found the starter packs and 4 packs today at Target. Picked up all five 4 packs but decided to wait on the starter (the only thing we are missing at this point).

They were in the process of resetting the toy aisles and they still had 2 packs on a side cap and then they had a few more 2 packs, 1 of each 4 pack, and four starter packs on the aisle by Bakugan.

Boglins I Need - any color
The Medievals: Scout Mors
The Prehistorics: Spy Dork
The Samurai: Scout Yell, Spy Yak, Spy Yum, Yen, Yule, Yarn, Yelp
Slimes: Splutter, Splurge

#73 laserbeast

laserbeast

Beyond Budding

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:15 AM

Found them in my area at a super Wal-Mart, they had 4 4-packs, and 6 2-packs left along with a handful of the starter sets. Purchased all the 4packs and 2packs they had. Nice to see these locally! Will have to put up some photos. New to these myself, but its nice collecting something that doesnt cost a fortune per figure.

#74 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:30 PM

Alright, so i caved. I hit up Target looking for new Mighty Muggs, and found some new Superhero Squad packs instead. So i had like three of those in my hand and finished browsing the aisle, and then i was like "Oh cool, Gormiti! Maybe i'll get a 2-pack."

Then i ended up putting back all the Superhero Squad figures and getting two 4-packs and a 2-pack of Gormiti. I mostly tried focusing on getting the Sea Tribe figures, as those seem to be the coolest by a long shot.

They also had starters, and i wanted to get one but as previously mentioned, i just liked the Sea Tribe ones way better. Although my favorite figure i got today was actually what i guess is a "Final Evolution" version or whatever of one of the Air Tribe guys. I'm a sucker for both bugs and translucent plastic, so he totally won me over.

So yeah...i guess i'm buying Gormiti now.

Quick question, maybe i missed it in browsing this thread, but am i going to have to deal with a ton of overlap if i pick up both 4 and 2-packs? I don't mind getting translucent versions and painted versions of some figures, but it'd be nice if i don't have to keep rebuying the same ones over and over...that's kind of the reason i dumped the Superhero Squad toys in favor of these to begin with. :ermm:
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#75 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 09:35 PM

Quick question, maybe i missed it in browsing this thread, but am i going to have to deal with a ton of overlap if i pick up both 4 and 2-packs?

That's kinda what we've been discussing exclusively. :ermm: No overlap whatsoever, aside from the Final Evolution figures in the two-packs.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com