53 replies to this topic

#1 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:01 PM

Can Safe Passage be cast at the beginning of your upkeep, or your opponent's upkeep, and prevent all damage for the entire turn? Or, does it need to be cast in response to a spell that deals damage or a creature that deals damage?

Posted Image

Edited by WhiteLeo, 27 September 2009 - 12:37 PM.

Posted Image

#2 8bithorror

8bithorror

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:51 PM

Can Safe Passage be cast at the beginning of your upkeep, or your opponent's upkeep, and prevent all damage for the entire turn? Or, does it need to be cast in response to a spell that deals damage or a creature that deals damage?

Posted Image

The card can be played at anytime, because its an instant. Unlike cards like Orim's chant that can't be played unless at the beginning of the turn. but your opponet can respond to the card by dealing damage with other instants. As long as they let it resolve you won't be dealt any damage for the rest of the turn and your creatures can't take damages. Those type of cards are more or less used right after an opponet attacks/or trys to deal damage to a creature. than You can drop it after knowing 100% they were going to do deal the damage....Rather than using it at the beginning when your opponet may not have anything planned. So basicly have your guys deal damage while not taking any in return. or if you attack you can drop if after they choose blockers.

#3 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:19 AM

8bit is correct.

Should we have a MTG rules question threat stickied at the top of the forum?

Edited by theorgg, 27 September 2009 - 05:19 AM.

Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#4 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:38 PM

I pinned this and made it the offical rules and questions thread. ;)

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#5 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:25 PM

Those type of cards are more or less used right after an opponet attacks/or trys to deal damage to a creature. than You can drop it after knowing 100% they were going to do deal the damage....Rather than using it at the beginning when your opponet may not have anything planned. So basicly have your guys deal damage while not taking any in return. or if you attack you can drop if after they choose blockers.

Yeah, absolutely, that's a great way to use it. However, I'm most interested in using it to stall by casting it at the beginning of my opponent's turn, receiving no damage on his turn, insuring that I get at least one more turn.

It's especially good for combo decks when you finally get key cards into play, but you need to wait until your next upkeep to use them. Safe Passage can insure you get that chance.
Posted Image

#6 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:40 PM

Yeah, absolutely, that's a great way to use it. However, I'm most interested in using it to stall by casting it at the beginning of my opponent's turn, receiving no damage on his turn, insuring that I get at least one more turn.

You do that, and it's an open door for your opponent (aside from combat damage, anyway). If they were going to damage your creatures or you with an instant or ability, they could do it in response.

#7 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:09 AM

Wait until you KNOW that damage will happen, THEN play it is what people are saying, Soups.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

#8 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:23 AM

Absolutely, I will use it that way. However, consider this scenario:

My turn: I cast a Birds of Paradise, but must wait until next turn to use because of Summoning Sickness. The cards I have in play are such that if I am able to tap the Bird for mana, game over, I win. However, my opponent has three 3/4 creatures. My life total is at 5. If he attacks, I can only block one of them, and if I do, the Bird dies and I can't play my combo.

So, at the start of my opponent's turn, I cast Safe Passage. My opponent can't do any damage to me on his turn. He draws a Lightening Bolt during his draw phase. At the beginning of my turn, he tries to Lighting Bolt my Bird but I tap it for a red mana before it gets burned. My combo goes into motion, game over, I win. :rolleyes:

I'm sure there will be moments in a game where I will play it in response to a single burn spell, but I also see it as a way to stall.

(Of course, he could wait until I tap the Bird to burn it, but hopefully I will have drawn a countering spell or have on in hand already. Or, rather than drawing a burn card, he might have drawn a land on his turn. Etc, etc. Either way, the Safe Passage can insure that I live to see another turn when I otherwise wouldn't have. <_<)

Edited by Soupie, 28 September 2009 - 06:44 AM.

Posted Image

#9 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:00 AM

If he burns the bird when you tap it, you'll still get the mana from the bird.

If you wait for either the bolt or the attack, you'll have more information. There is no reason to cast it immediatly upon the upkeep, as what if they didn't draw burn? Why not make them swing with their three creatures before preventing the damage?

#10 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:47 AM

Hwhat!? Nice!

If you wait for either the bolt or the attack, you'll have more information. There is no reason to cast it immediatly upon the upkeep, as what if they didn't draw burn? Why not make them swing with their three creatures before preventing the damage?

Well, because if he did draw a burn, and I waited until he attacked to play the Safe Passage, then he could burn my Bird in response. Since the Bird would still have Summoning Sickness, I couldn't tap it. :)

By casting the Passage during his upkeep, it ensures that my Bird won't get burned and that I won't get attacked. That's all I'm worried about in this scenario.
Posted Image

#11 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:25 PM

Hwhat!? Nice!

Well, because if he did draw a burn, and I waited until he attacked to play the Safe Passage, then he could burn my Bird in response. Since the Bird would still have Summoning Sickness, I couldn't tap it. :)

By casting the Passage during his upkeep, it ensures that my Bird won't get burned and that I won't get attacked. That's all I'm worried about in this scenario.

You know all they need is a counter spell and it was all for not Soups. :) :D

I will never quit.

#12 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:31 PM

You know all they need is a counter spell and it was all for not Soups. :D :D

Not if they don't have any cards in their hand at the start of their turn. e+

But, yes, you seem to always have a counterspell waiting and ready. :) :D You do know a playset is 4, not 5, right? :)
Posted Image

#13 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:34 PM

This is why I really need to pick up a webcam, and am close to doing so. I need to personally show you the error of your ways with such strategy. Mwahaha.

#14 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:47 PM

:)

Eh, there are random dual lands and Moxes in Zendikar packs!?

http://twitpic.com/j82o6
Posted Image

#15 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:52 PM

Holy eff on a stick!

Zendikar is noteworthy among Magic sets for also including older "Power" cards, randomly and sparsely distributed in booster packs. These cards include the Power Nine, some of the most valuable cards ever printed.

#16 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:00 PM

Booster boxes were $95 on Troll and Toad a few days ago; I just checked and they are up to $119 already. Seriously, though, this might be a set where it's better to get boxes now, rather then wait a few months when they're going for $300. :)

Edit: Though I've been meaning to ask... What is the most cost effecient way to buy MtG cards? Booster boxes, booster packs, or individually?

Edited by Soupie, 28 September 2009 - 03:01 PM.

Posted Image

#17 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:02 PM

Yea.

I found out about that Saturday. WOTC security is getting TIGHT, as that didn't even leak before the pre releases!

And there's reports of a moderatly worn Black Lotus getting pulled, but only rumors as of now.

Also, I cannot get a box at discount that I've found. The release-day draft people are wanting me to run is out the window for right now...

#18 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:09 PM

Booster boxes cases from a local card shop that'll let you pre-buy them for cost of case plus ten percent.

#19 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:25 PM

Booster boxes were $95 on Troll and Toad a few days ago; I just checked and they are up to $119 already. Seriously, though, this might be a set where it's better to get boxes now, rather then wait a few months when they're going for $300. :D

Edit: Though I've been meaning to ask... What is the most cost effecient way to buy MtG cards? Booster boxes, booster packs, or individually?

Dude! What! Soups if that is true I need to sell my BB Collection now!

I will never quit.

#20 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:26 PM

This is why I really need to pick up a webcam, and am close to doing so. I need to personally show you the error of your ways with such strategy. Mwahaha.

Bring it one Boaconda! We are willing and waiting! :D I got a control deck that will knock you for a loop. *evil grin*

I will never quit.

#21 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:34 PM

Before you go and do something stupid, let me spell it out:

One 'Treasure' per case, if that. There's been a report of one case containing TWO. ONE CASE. A case is twelve boxes.

The treasures DO happen to include things like the Lotus, Moxen, Dual Lands, and various high-dollar cards... however, they also contain things such as Hymn to Tourach, Phrexian Devourers, and things that are similarly legendary or infamous for their power, but not worth more than $5.

#22 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:39 PM

One 'Treasure' per case, if that. There's been a report of one case containing TWO. ONE CASE. A case is twelve boxes.

The treasures DO happen to include things like the Lotus, Moxen, Dual Lands, and various high-dollar cards... however, they also contain things such as Hymn to Tourach, Phrexian Devourers, and things that are similarly legendary or infamous for their power, but not worth more than $5.

No I wasn't going to! If I want duals I will buy them and then turn around and sell to soups to buy a webcam! :D

I will never quit.

#23 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:42 PM

Oh, so I should probably cancel that order I just made for five boxes?

B)

If I want duals I will buy them and then turn around and sell to soups to buy a webcam!

:D
Posted Image

#24 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:44 PM

Booster boxes cases from a local card shop that'll let you pre-buy them for cost of case plus ten percent.

Yeah, my current plan is to (slowly) buy one box of each set, and then buy individual cards as needed. (With lots of MCE proxies to round out the edges. :D )
Posted Image

#25 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:25 PM

Yeah, my current plan is to (slowly) buy one box of each set, and then buy individual cards as needed. (With lots of MCE proxies to round out the edges. :D )

So are you planning on alpha through zenidar? I don't know the name of the new set. That could be very exspensive.

WhiteLeo

I will never quit.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com