25 replies to this topic

#1 Professor

Professor

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:32 AM

Mostly a Gormiti collector here. The local distributors have stopped bringing Gormiti in where I live and its been awhile since I last got an LRG fix. Stumbled upon a lot of random Battle Beasts for what I thought was a good price (about 30 USD thereabouts) and caved in.

Attached File  tmp_20140819_202133-1-827448478.jpg   110.55K   101 downloads

Just sharing with you guys and what thoughts you might have on these. They dont have any weapons but have two of those little skateboard type vehicle things. It'll prolly be awhile before I get anymore as Battle Beasts aren't that popular where I live but these sure are nifty. They'll prolly look great alongside the Gormiti Titanium series which also have articulation similar to this.
Filth fighters standing for all that is clean!

#2 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
  • Interests:MIMP
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

This and that - mostly that!

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:40 AM

Great haul for $30. Like you say, they haven't got weapons, but they all look like to have their rubs in good condition. Plus you've got a few Laser Beasts mixed in with the regulars too.

#3 Professor

Professor

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 04:51 AM

4 of them have missing rubsigns but all the rest work fine. I've been reading up randomly on the lore and I dig it alot. Especially the fact that they're organized into military teams and whatnot. The laser beasts too are really cool with their third faction mystique. Glad that I was able to get some of those.

#4 thenerdieststore

thenerdieststore

Mimp total =

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
  • Interests:Monster in my pocket

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:42 AM

I think you scored  a big prize. Even without the weapons, those BBs could run for about $5 each with good rub signs. I think the major score is the Laser beasts and chariots. Those are a pretty penny!

"THOSE WHO LAY THEIR EYES ON A GUNDAM, SHALL NOT LIVE TO TELL ABOUT IT. Those was the orders I was given."

101_5358_zps74e6dfc3.jpg

#5 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1853 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:28 AM

Congrats and a great price because even after adding an extra 0 making it 300 it would´ve been more than a good deal considering the LB in there so you did really well ;)

Enjoy the Beasts!

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#6 Professor

Professor

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:37 AM

Oh yeah? So Laser Beasts are that hard to come by? Pardon my ignorance as i've been reading up more on the story side of things rather than what they're worth.

I'm beginning to appreciate the comparison being made with Gormiti as well.

#7 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
  • Interests:MIMP
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

This and that - mostly that!

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:40 AM

I take it that this lots wasn't an eBay purchase? How did you come about them, out of interest?

#8 Professor

Professor

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:46 AM

They were from a japanese surplus store. I also collect mini Gundam figures and chanced upon these during one of my runs.

Oh and are the Laser Beasts villains? Are they aligned with the Decepticon beasts or is it a free for all between three factions?

#9 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:02 AM

Wow that's a very nice find, I haven't even found a regular Battle Beast in the wild in almost 15 years. Where do you live if you don't mind my asking? 

As for the LB lore, as a quick summary as I understand/recall it:

Laser Beasts were the "original" faction on Planet Beast but retreated to an underground civilization and were forgotten. Long afterwards, when the Battle Beasts were ruling the planet and fighting amongst themselves, something happened (can't rememeber if it was somehow caused by the Beasts' war or if it was just a natural disaster) that caused a massive flood. The water flushed the Laser Beasts out of their caverns and they began fighting with the BB's to reclaim control of the planet. I've never been clear if the Good & Evil Battle Beasts  were supposed to align with eachother against the Laser Beasts, but it's pretty clear that the Laser Beasts were their own faction without allegiance to either and without any internal conflict; all Laser Beasts are on the same "team".

Edited by bachamn, 19 August 2014 - 07:03 AM.

#10 Professor

Professor

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:12 AM

Thanks for the summary! I downloaded the japanese book scans from the pinned topic and they're awesome as hell. I wish I could understand the diorama comics so bad.

#11 Matlock

Matlock

My name is matlock and i am a lrg addict.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E.
    Nintendo - NES,SNES,N64,GB,GBA,DS,3DS
    Lego- Mini Figs
    Micro Machines.
    BB.
    GPK.Cheapies, and OS Cards.
    Minikins.
    Bouncy balls.
    Dice.
    Dino's.
    Trash pack.
    Homies.
    Slugs.
    MIMP.
    Savage Mondo Blitzers.
    Uglies.
    Customs.
    All other cool looking little rubber guys!!
    Hand Blown Glass.
    Pliers.
    Marbles.
    Rocks/Minerals
    Knives.
    Hats.
    Old mason jars.

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:47 PM

• Awesome score. if you ever wanna sell some of them LB's Lmk know.

Brown chicken , brown cow

#12 Skullcruncher

Skullcruncher

Transformer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 01:58 PM

Awesome haul, a warning though - once you start collecting them its hard to stop! :D

#13 108KickBack

108KickBack

Beast-Former Gatherer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:Laser Beasts, Battle Beasts,Anything Beastformer, Insects,Bugs and arachnids.

Posted 19 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

That's a sweet haul! I wish i could find those in the wild ,I only find the common lowers where i live.

#14 Professor

Professor

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

Definitely wanna get more given the chance but I'm not the type to go and start ebaying as the shipping will be killer where I live.

A nice variety to my LRGs for sure (Currently mainly Gormiti with a smattering of MIMP, Kinkeshi and my namesake line, TBB). Guess i'll have to watch out for more if they pop up in surplus stores again.

#15 Matlock

Matlock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
    Lego- Mini Figs
    Micro Machines.
    BB.
    Minikins.
    Bouncy balls.
    Dice.
    Dino's.
    Trash pack.
    Homies.
    Slugs.
    MIMP.
    Savage Mondo Blitzers.
    Uglies.
    Customs.
    Hand Blown Glass.
    Pliers.
    Marbles.
    Rocks/Minerals
    Knives.
    Hats.
    Old mason jars.

Posted 19 August 2014 - 07:05 PM

Definitely wanna get more given the chance but I'm not the type to go and start ebaying as the shipping will be killer where I live.

A nice variety to my LRGs for sure (Currently mainly Gormiti with a smattering of MIMP, Kinkeshi and my namesake line, TBB). Guess i'll have to watch out for more if they pop up in surplus stores again.

I would trade a boat load of MIMP for the Lazers.

Hundreds

#16 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

the shipping will be killer where I live.

Is it the moon?

...It's the moon, isn't it...?

Edited by bachamn, 19 August 2014 - 09:30 PM.

#17 Professor

Professor

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:44 PM

I would trade a boat load of MIMP for the Lazers.

Hundreds

My MIMP and TBB are mostly childhood pieces that I keep for nostalgia. Not really a completist by any means.

Are Laser Beasts that rare? I saw the page on littlerubberguides and most of 'em go for upwards of a hundred apiece. Really? :huh:

Is it the moon?

...It's the moon, isn't it...?

With the total lack of LRG goodness here, It may as well be bachamn. It may as well be.

#18 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:09 PM

Haha fair enough Ignignokt ;) One of the reason for asking where you're located though is to help answer your questions about rarity. If you're in Europe, then you have a higher chance of coming across the lower-12 and middle-12 laser beasts. If you're in the US, you're very rarely going to find them in discount stores because they pretty much only got here as imported collectors pieces (only the lower 12 were released in US or canada, and with limited distribution) Then of course if you're somewhere in Asia the distribution factors would be different again. But in short, yes they are much rarer than the normal BBs. Also, as a rule I don't recommend following the Little Rubber Guides price guide as it's very outdated and inaccurate. 

In the lot you picked up, you have the 5 of the 6 figures that came with the Shield Battler Six set and the two sleds that came with it as well. These figures are considered "middle-12" LBs as they were sculpts 12-24 of the 36 total figures. As mentioned these 12 were also released in Europe in addition to Japan. They usually fetch something around $100 on average without weapons. The sleds themselves are hard to say as they don't turn up for sale as often, and the market on LB items has fallen somewhat in the recent months, but I'd say somewhere around $50-60 for a sled in those colors these days is fair (there was a much rarer purple sled released only in Europe).

You also have 3 "upper 12" LBs, which were only released in Japan. The two monkeys are included in this group, though prices for them is usually lower because they aren't very popular sculpts. The ram however (Hornhead) is pretty popular so he's a bit more valuable, maybe you could get an extra $30-50 for him depending on condition and the market at the time. The only "lower-12" LB you have is the rhino, he's worth about $20 without weapon

Overall, on a good day that lot in your photo could be worth somewhere around $900 so you did very well with this purchase. This is a very brief summary with generalized numbers, but I hope that helps some :)

Edited by bachamn, 19 August 2014 - 10:16 PM.

#19 Professor

Professor

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:37 AM

Asia. Philippines to be exact. I dont think these were officially released here but then again, Japanese released toys always show up on local retail stores here back then and even to this day.

My hunch would be no, they weren't, but since there are alot of japanese toy liquidators here there is a good chance that they're scattered about.

I dont think i'll be selling these though. They're too cool for school.

#20 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:41 AM

Yes, I don't believe we know anything about an official release in the Philippines but it's entirely possible they were leaked there anyway. I know I saw a number of Japanese toylines were available back when I visited Singapore, so I imagine it wouldn't be too entirely different there.

kudos for not selling, and congrats again on the find :)

#21 Professor

Professor

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

Call me superstitious but everytime I chance upon something awesome through sheer luck, I tend to keep it so the luck stays with me ;P

It also helps that these are awesome. You're right about the monkeys though. The sculpts aren't the best :/

#22 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Battle Beast minmates, Armorvors, Hot Sauce, Tea, Pearl Jam, Films, Camers, Animals, Chameleons and lizards

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:55 AM

Professor, you have an amazing find here. Congratulations! Fight Horn, the deer, is one of my absolute favorite Laser Beast sculpts, and took me to find. Have fun enjoying your first foray into the world of Battle Beasts and Laser Beasts. 

#23 Matlock

Matlock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts
    Lego- Mini Figs
    Micro Machines.
    BB.
    Minikins.
    Bouncy balls.
    Dice.
    Dino's.
    Trash pack.
    Homies.
    Slugs.
    MIMP.
    Savage Mondo Blitzers.
    Uglies.
    Customs.
    Hand Blown Glass.
    Pliers.
    Marbles.
    Rocks/Minerals
    Knives.
    Hats.
    Old mason jars.

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:16 PM

Haha fair enough Ignignokt ;) One of the reason for asking where you're located though is to help answer your questions about rarity. If you're in Europe, then you have a higher chance of coming across the lower-12 and middle-12 laser beasts. If you're in the US, you're very rarely going to find them in discount stores because they pretty much only got here as imported collectors pieces (only the lower 12 were released in US or canada, and with limited distribution) Then of course if you're somewhere in Asia the distribution factors would be different again. But in short, yes they are much rarer than the normal BBs. Also, as a rule I don't recommend following the Little Rubber Guides price guide as it's very outdated and inaccurate. 

In the lot you picked up, you have the 5 of the 6 figures that came with the Shield Battler Six set and the two sleds that came with it as well. These figures are considered "middle-12" LBs as they were sculpts 12-24 of the 36 total figures. As mentioned these 12 were also released in Europe in addition to Japan. They usually fetch something around $100 on average without weapons. The sleds themselves are hard to say as they don't turn up for sale as often, and the market on LB items has fallen somewhat in the recent months, but I'd say somewhere around $50-60 for a sled in those colors these days is fair (there was a much rarer purple sled released only in Europe).

You also have 3 "upper 12" LBs, which were only released in Japan. The two monkeys are included in this group, though prices for them is usually lower because they aren't very popular sculpts. The ram however (Hornhead) is pretty popular so he's a bit more valuable, maybe you could get an extra $30-50 for him depending on condition and the market at the time. The only "lower-12" LB you have is the rhino, he's worth about $20 without weapon

Overall, on a good day that lot in your photo could be worth somewhere around $900 so you did very well with this purchase. This is a very brief summary wt hith generalized numbers, but I hope that helps some :)

what he said.

and i wold trade you 900 + monster in my pockets for them

Edited by Matlock, 20 August 2014 - 12:18 PM.

#24 Professor

Professor

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 05:59 PM

My favorite BB sculpt so far is Bighorn Sheep. The whole rebreather mask thing he's got going on coupled with awesome card art makes him out to be one tough dude....

Only to find out he's a "Supplier" and he's "Weak on his own". What the hell Takara? :blink:

There's something odd about him too. The text says he becomes stronger when paired with Bad Shark but Bad Shark is an Evil Beast while  Bighorn is a Good Beast right? And Bad Shark is the Emperor of Sheepnia while Bighorn is just the King of Sheepnia? Is he actually a villain in disguise as a mild mannered good guy? Confusing.

LB wise my favorite has to be Hornhead. Must be the Aries in me. And maybe the Skeletor fan.

#25 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:15 AM

There's something odd about him too. The text says he becomes stronger when paired with Bad Shark but Bad Shark is an Evil Beast while  Bighorn is a Good Beast right? And Bad Shark is the Emperor of Sheepnia while Bighorn is just the King of Sheepnia? Is he actually a villain in disguise as a mild mannered good guy? Confusing.

Each beast is paired in the canon with another beast by a specific Kingdom, and this is exhibited in the design of the figures themselves. If you look at all 1-76 beasts, you'll notice that the skin/fur tone colors (not armor) all come in pairs. This is outlined, including the name of each 'Kingdom', on one of the boxed set inserts (either Clear Carp or Sunburst set, can't recall). For example, the Hare and Horse are both weird turquiose colors because they're from the same kingdom, as are the Sheep and Shark (but I think perhaps Sheep is in fact a bad guy?) Lion & Col. Bird, etc.

I actually display my figures grouped this way, and this is all detailed in a thread here somewhere but I can't recall which at the moment. There's even a scan of the insert I'm talking about that could illustrate this point clearer, I just don't have time to dig it up at the moment ;)

Edited by bachamn, 22 August 2014 - 08:37 AM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com