• Interests:MIMP
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

This and that - mostly that!

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

An updated look at my perceived top 10 neons in terms of rarity, in descending order, based on what I've seen/heard over the last 9 months:

1. NG Behemoth
2. NY Behemoth
3. NG Gremlin
4. NG Cyclops
5. NY Ogre
6. NY Hobgoblin
7. NY Roc
8. NY Great Beast
9. NY Griffin
10. NG Tengu

A few quick notes:

Some of the above have moved around due to them appearing in large eBay France lots of late, for example several NY Hydras have changed hands, hence why it has dropped out of the top 10 (would be #11).
I still place NG Behemoth at #1, just ahead of NY Behemoth. I've also dropped NG Cyclops as this particular colour/figure has appeared not only appeared a couple of times in larger lots, but also in individual listing (one is currently running on eBay). I feel NG Gremlin has been seen much less over the last 9 months compared to NG Cyclops.
NY Ogre, Hobgoblin, Roc and Griffin still stay in the top 10, but it must be noted that one large eBay lot contained 2 NY Ogres and 3 NY Hobgoblins recently!
Finally, good old NY Great Beast grabs a top 10 position still as he is still an elusive figure. I did pick up two in a very short period of time at one stage, yet I haven't seen or heard about any change hands publicly of late.

As always, I look forward to your thoughts on this list :thumbsup:

#27 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts
  • Interests:Collecting MIMP and playing Fantasy Baseball.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

To be honest, I don't think any of the France neons are rarer than the others. I think that they just get posted at random, so some seem rarer. And the more popular ones get high prices, like the Behemoths.  But that is just a guess, and I don't mean to invalidate any research you have done. 

My MIMP Resource site: http://mimpcollective.weebly.com

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#28 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:46 AM

To be honest, I don't think any of the France neons are rarer than the others. I think that they just get posted at random, so some seem rarer. And the more popular ones get high prices, like the Behemoths.  But that is just a guess, and I don't mean to invalidate any research you have done.

I would pretty much agree bud. I haven't researched anything as such, it's all really down to observations of what I see when I do my searches. I've used the top 10 idea as more of a discussion point or a bit of fun really. It still intrigues me how, despite the figures appearing randomly on eBay France (as you stated) that certain figures don't even show up very often.

#29 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

It seems like every time I get the idea that a neon is rare, like NY Ogre, it shows up in a bunch with like 2 or 3. Took me forever to find that bugger. 

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#30 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

I've only been actively trying to complete neon sets for under a year, and my personal experience has been that all the 25-pointers in their non-regular neon colors (NY & NG Behemoth, NR & NY Great Beast, etc) show up the least. I have definitely been having the hardest time with those. It could be a different story when taking into account a longer period of time. I'm not sure as I haven't been keeping track that long.

One figure I never see on "rarest" lists but that I think is an absolute challenge to get a hold of is NR Medusa. I don't think I've even seen a single one in any France auctions since I've been looking. I've talked to a handful of people who all said that was one of the last ones they needed to complete sets. I believe that's a much more difficult to find figure than people generally think.

I've been having a really hard time finding a NR Invisible Man (a 5 pointer, of all things)--I've spotted many higher point NR uncommons and rares much more frequently than I've spotted him (as with Medusa).

14460229430_bb17eb3c18_n.jpg

#31 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

Yeh it's interesting that you mention the NR figures as they can often get overlooked compared to the NG and NY heavy-hitters. I think the top 10 could easily stretch to a top 20 and so on ha! If I had to name a NR figure that gave me a headache I'd probably say Griffin. I picked up NR Medusa quite early on, but as you say I haven't seen one for quite some time as far as I can remember.

#32 trumanshower

trumanshower

Eternal Truman of the spotless mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1384 posts
  • Interests:dragonautes, monster in my pocket, fistful of power, motu, cosmix, luxioles etc etc...

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:38 AM

maybe neon yellow and green MIMP seems harder to find, because, contrary to NR and NP, they sometimes come stained.

I'll have to update my have list soon !

French collector of Battle Beasts, Monster in my pocket and a bunch of other toys !!
FoP facebook page : https://www.facebook.../fistfulofpower

Boogaz facebook group : https://www.facebook...810983082984202

#33 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:57 AM

maybe neon yellow and green MIMP seems harder to find, because, contrary to NR and NP, they sometimes come stained.
I'll have to update my have list soon !

I wonder how many of the rare/uncommon NY and NG figures have been thrown away after they've been pulled out of the loft and the person has noticed they were stained. The only time I've EVER thrown a MIMP away was when one of my spare Mad Gasser figures had one of its gas tubes broken off.

#34 Rev.Austin

Rev.Austin

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:MONSTERS! NOISE! WALKS ON THE BEACH!

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

Hi folks! I've recently (re)discovered my MIMP collection and have a few neons. Thanks to  thenerdieststore I now know the panther I have as my avatar is a 'premium', although as to the cost of it I have no idea.

Also, this is maybe an obvious newbie question :D but is there an easy way to tell the difference between neon red and neon orange? I've got a few in either colour, you see, such as Roc, Baba Yaga and Triton and I think they're NO but I may be wrong :)

Cheers! A really interesting list/progression of perceived rarity thus far :)

#35 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

Hi folks! I've recently (re)discovered my MIMP collection and have a few neons. Thanks to  thenerdieststore I now know the panther I have as my avatar is a 'premium', although as to the cost of it I have no idea.

Also, this is maybe an obvious newbie question :D but is there an easy way to tell the difference between neon red and neon orange? I've got a few in either colour, you see, such as Roc, Baba Yaga and Triton and I think they're NO but I may be wrong :)

Cheers! A really interesting list/progression of perceived rarity thus far :)

Hi and welcome. :)

Neon red actually looks more like a type of orange, which leads to some confusion often times as far as neon red vs. orange. Neon red MIMP are darker than orange MIMP, which are more like a bright orange. Series One orange figures weren't available in normal packaging, only as premiums (like your blue Panther). The only figure of the ones you listed that came in orange is Triton, so they must be neon red. 

Edited by fkro6784, 28 July 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#36 Rev.Austin

Rev.Austin

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:MONSTERS! NOISE! WALKS ON THE BEACH!

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:15 AM

Ah ha! Cheers chum :) 

#37 thenerdieststore

thenerdieststore

Mimp total =

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
  • Interests:Monster in my pocket

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:43 AM

I made this just for this thread :)

MIMPINGAINTEASY_zps356c7d65.jpg

"THOSE WHO LAY THEIR EYES ON A GUNDAM, SHALL NOT LIVE TO TELL ABOUT IT. Those was the orders I was given."

101_5358_zps74e6dfc3.jpg

#38 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

I used to call them all Neon Orange and light Orange to differentiate the difference in color. But everyone calls them Neon red, so that's what I call them now. 

#39 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

I always called them neon red. Because they're a neon shade of red.
<span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#8b0000;">Stuff I'm selling: <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=220814">Madballs Water Squirters</a> *</strong></span> <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=154077">Gormiti</a> * <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=148080">Miscellaneous (MIMP, FOA etc)</a></strong></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#808000;">Stuff I really need:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=235893"><strong>HERE</strong></a></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#008000;">Stuff I collect:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...showtopic=44163"><strong>Gormiti</strong></a></span><br><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;">Get your own easy-to-use</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...ndpost&p=264795"><strong>M.U.S.C.L.E.</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">or</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...08"><strong>MIMP Series 1/2</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">checklists!</span></span>

#40 thenerdieststore

thenerdieststore

Mimp total =

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:27 AM

On my personal list I have them abbreviated as N.O. but on here I have it as NR. I went to art school and that's orange in my book :p but whatever helps anyone trying to fill gaps in my collection is always best.

"THOSE WHO LAY THEIR EYES ON A GUNDAM, SHALL NOT LIVE TO TELL ABOUT IT. Those was the orders I was given."

101_5358_zps74e6dfc3.jpg

#41 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

I made this just for this thread :)

mimpin-aint-easy.jpg

I never got around to shopping a behemoth into his glass :p

#42 thenerdieststore

thenerdieststore

Mimp total =

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

mimpin-aint-easy.jpg

I never got around to shopping a behemoth into his glass :p

mimping2_zps34adc131.jpg

101_5358_zps74e6dfc3.jpg

#43 PaulEWog116

PaulEWog116

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:33 PM

So where do the Cyan premiums fall in here other than the Cyan cyclops that is mentioned in the first post. I have never seen them at all save for a sealed Cyan great beast that I just picked up. I would imagine they are at least fairly rare. Note that I am not talking about the blue Italian figures; I am talking about the Cyan premiums. Where would my Cyan Great Beast and the other Cyan MIMPS fall into this list? Could someone maybe post a list rarest to least rare/common with explanations please?

The first post says about Premiums "*Note - We now have a better understanding as to why these particular Premiums are so rare" but does not elaborate. What does that mean?

See my collection on Instagram. @Paul.Sewell.14

#44 80schild

80schild

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
    OMFG
    RC-CARS

Posted 05 August 2014 - 10:41 PM

There were 5 premiums which were extremely rare.
In Pink: Jotun Troll, Cyclops
Blue: Cyclops
Orange: T-rex
Pine Green: Hydra
The rest of the premiums are reasonably easy to got hold of. The only other 4 which can be a pain is Series 2 pink and green Ghost and Cerberus.

#45 PaulEWog116

PaulEWog116

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:10 PM

There were 5 premiums which were extremely rare.
In Pink: Jotun Troll, Cyclops
Blue: Cyclops
Orange: T-rex
Pine Green: Hydra
The rest of the premiums are reasonably easy to got hold of. The only other 4 which can be a pain is Series 2 pink and green Ghost and Cerberus.

Thanks for the info. Still glad I jumped on the Cyan Great Beast. Awesome color and one of my favorite MIMPS. 

#46 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

Posted 06 August 2014 - 02:05 AM

Yep the most rare premiums, as Chris mentioned above, you'll struggle to get your hands on until the next guy from NJ pops up with some to sell.

The reason they aren't mentioned in this thread is because I started it just to focus on the series 1 neons and nothing else. They make up one of the largest chunks of figures that can be discussed in terms of rarity because there are so many when compared to say series 2, the premiums or series 3.

#47 PaulEWog116

PaulEWog116

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:47 AM

Yep the most rare premiums, as Chris mentioned above, you'll struggle to get your hands on until the next guy from NJ pops up with some to sell.

The reason they aren't mentioned in this thread is because I started it just to focus on the series 1 neons and nothing else. They make up one of the largest chunks of figures that can be discussed in terms of rarity because there are so many when compared to say series 2, the premiums or series 3.

Thanks for the info. So the reason some of those others are so rare is because they were NJ exclusives somewhere?

Edited by PaulEWog116, 06 August 2014 - 09:47 AM.

#48 thenerdieststore

thenerdieststore

Mimp total =

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:53 AM

I read that entire thread about those mimps from beginning to end and it infuriated me that I didn't start collecting sooner lol

101_5358_zps74e6dfc3.jpg

#49 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for the info. So the reason some of those others are so rare is because they were NJ exclusives somewhere?

There's still some mystery surrounding them. They only appeared within the last few years, and the person or people who were selling them said they got them as arcade premiums in NJ. So they weren't necessarily exclusive to NJ, but to my knowledge that's the extent of what's known about them. 

I didn't start going after a full premiums set until this year, so I ignored them when they were put up for sale, argh. I can only hope more of them appear sometime soon.

#50 80schild

80schild

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
    OMFG
    RC-CARS

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:12 AM

You could ask Fireball Printing to see if he's got any more :) I've just checked, he is still active on the board and sound guy to deal with.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MIMP, series 1 neons, rarity, rare

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com