108 replies to this topic

#76 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 02 April 2008 - 03:06 PM

There's an amazing UFC MMA card free on Spike TV from 7-10pm tonite. Don't miss it!
Posted Image

#77 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:16 PM

What a fight weekend, I should have sent a reminder about some of the events but got busy with Graduation BBQs for family and friends.

Caught Spikes special replay of Liddell v. Wanderlei Silva
Marveled at the Kimbo Slice fight, missed the rest of the card.
and was floored by the WEC card after that first fight it was pure gold.

Faber vs. Pulver was as awesome as it was hyped to be. And Torres vs. Maeda was also epic, if you catch a chance to see Torres fight(or a rematch of this fight) do it.
Watch more WEC.

Any thoughts on this weekends MMA

#78 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 12:36 PM

Yep, I gorged on all the MMA these past several days myself -- starting with the BJ Penn/Sherk card last weekend.

Elite XC on CBS: From a "purist" point of view, I thought the caliber of the fights and the ghetto production (dancers, fireworks, and rappers) was downright shizznitty. There were two decent fights on the card: The girls, and Lawler/Smith. There is no way Kimbo should be heading a card. Surprisingly, from what little I've read about the card -- the first airing of MMA on regular, non-cable television -- the casual observer seems to have liked it. :lol: Us purists, who prefer better, more technical fighters, hated the show for the most part, but it looks like for as bad as it was, it may have more of a positive impact than a negative (that I feared after watching it).

WEC on Versus: Unfortunately, Rob was looking for a W last night, and not really looking to be exciting. The Torres fight was AMAZING if a little sloppy as compared to other fights of his I've seen. I LOVE the little guys! They move so fast and are so damn vicious! Faber/Pulver lived up to the hype -- for the most part. I was very surprised to see how well Pulver did on the ground, but equally impressed with how well Faber did on his fight! :p I think in some ways they neutralized each other, taking away each other's strengths, which led to the 5 round battle of conditioning, which Faber of course won. I really like Jens and was very happy to see him go all five. (I have to say though, BJ Penn would own Faber -- though I'd love to see that fight!)

Finally, I'm looking forward to this weekend's UFC card! The matchups have been flipped around so many times, it's not even funny. Most are regarding this as a mediocre card, but if history is any guide, these are the ones that turn out to be mind blowing!
Posted Image

#79 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 05:43 AM

The funny thing is I only saw the Kimbo fight and I thought of the XFL football, now with everything I hear about the stripper er "dancers" and flash I guess its even a better comparison. I guess the diffrence is everybody knows what the real NFL is like. For a second I was wondering if something smelled fishy when they stopped that fight but I heard the officals were erring on the side of caution all night. Network pressure? Maybe, could be why UFC declined network t.v. the last couple of years. Glad its getting some people intrested in MMA though.

If you enjoyed that folks really check out a UFC or WEC event, if you don't want to go the pay per view route all you need is Spike (ulitmate fighter reality show finales are usally good) or vs. (awesome WEC matchups every couple of months)

#80 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 05:49 AM

Heads-up that there is a great UFC card on PPV tonite! Forrest Griffin Vs. Rampage Jackson and a handful of other great, competitive matchups.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#81 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:43 PM

WTF!?
Posted Image

#82 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 05 July 2008 - 10:57 PM

rampage is my fav. really classy guy, check out some of his japan fights to see how a fighter wins graciously.

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#83 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 03:19 AM

And the Kimbo train derails. At least the womens fight had some good brusing and I got to see Arlovski whip some ass. Again with the stoppages a tad early but a lot better that the first event.

#84 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 05 October 2008 - 07:04 AM

And the Kimbo train derails.

That was so crazy. So crazy.
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#85 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 02:03 PM

Argg! Don't get me started on CBS/Elite XC. :(

Between the announcers over-exaggerating every strike ( an earth-shattering kneee to the body!), over-hyping every fighter -- especially Kimbo (he's NOT Mike Tyson), the refs standing fighters up when they have dominant position (why is Roy Nelson mad do you suppose, he asks), the mediocre skill level of Elite XC fighters, and the fans booing when the fights get technical... it's enough to make me vomit! :D

Also, hopefully the Kimbo fight proves one thing: MMA is NOT street fighting. The guy who just TKO'd Kimbo is a karate expert. MMA is more than just "brawlin'." And the guy who beat Kimbo in 30 seconds is a UFC reject.

Anyhow, hopefully this spells the end of Kimbo and CBS/Elite XC. Elite XC was better when it wasn't televised.

[/rant]
Posted Image

#86 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 05 October 2008 - 02:36 PM

...the fans booing when the fights get technical...

if that's going to upset you, you had better stop watching mma all together. i learned to tune the @ssholes out a long time ago. most of the douches in the audience don't understand that a fight can still be exciting if they aren't throwing bombs and wide sloppy strikes. these are the same suck@sses that when they actually get into a real fight and it inevitably goes to the ground they don't know what to do so they put on a headlock. i'd much rather watch a submission wrestling match or a bjj fight than a stand up fight. that's where the true skill and technique is. grappling is for gladiators, striking is for suckers.

and i'm not looking to have a great debate about the virtues of striking. i know it has it's place and a lot of fights can be easily won that way. i'd just rather snap an arm or choke the guy out than crush his face. unless i didn't like the guy, then it's ground and pound time.

"can i show you something in an elbow to the face today?"

#87 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts
  • Interests:Muscle men, and Kinnikuman

Posted 05 October 2008 - 08:00 PM

I'm not the hugest MMA fan around. I like to watch some of the hyped up fights like this one on youtube on occasion. This article sort of sums up my feelings about Kimbo: http://sports.yahoo....k...o&type=lgns sure hes good at beating on homeless bums with no fighting experience. Usually guys half his size even hahaha. I knew when he got int he ring with anybody with experience he would get his ass beat. He'll be back to fighting homeless guys for pocket change in no time.

#88 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 05 October 2008 - 09:58 PM

the refs standing fighters up when they have dominant position (why is Roy Nelson mad do you suppose, he asks),

Yeah, that was pretty effed up right there.

I'm not like a rabid or longstanding fan of anyone MMA franchise, i just really like to see people fight. I never really make plans to watch anything, but if i happen to catch it i'll watch anything from WWE to Sumo to UFC. So i don't really have any input or opinions on the merits of one group over another, but from what i've seen of the stuff on CBS they just kinda make rules up as they go along.

Still though, the Kimbo Slice thing was pretty damn crazy. Hobo-fighting brawler or not, i like the guy. In fact, that's probably why i like the guy. Fighting for sandwiches FTW!
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#89 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:21 PM

Warning: Continue reading/viewing only if you want to cringe.

Posted Image

Ouch?

;)
Posted Image

#90 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:04 PM

look at his left wrist. he's out. he prolly didn't feel that one and won't remember it when he wakes up. B)

#91 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 03:39 AM

Barnett tested positive for steroids, the suits couldn't agree on a replacement, Affliction folds like a wet blanket, and I'd bet money Fedor still does not go to the UFC. -_-

Who knows when we'll see him fight next. :p
Posted Image

#92 phillinley

phillinley

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:27 PM

This just came out today about the fedor/ufc deal

According to the Carmichael Dave show:

- The UFC offered Fedor a 6 fight, 30 million dollar contract. That's 5 million dollars a fight

- The UFC offered Fedor an immediate title shot

- Lesnar/Fedor would be the biggest PPV in MMA history (we assume), and the UFC offered M-1 Global a cut of the PPV on top of Fedor's purse.

- Fedor was free to wear as many M-1 logoed items as he wished.

- The UFC also relented on allowing Fedor to compete in combat sambo.

The offer was deemed to be a good one by M-1 Global but they turned it down after the UFC refused to climb down on the issue of co-promoting events. This deal now looks dead in the water and Fedors manager, Vadim Finkelchtein, has admitted that they will now begin to explore other options.

Now I really dislike Dana White and Fedor is in my opinion the best fighter in the world. But if this turns out to be true, what a freaking waste. M-1 is a joke if they think they're going to get co-promotion, and because of this, we will never see fedor fight in the UFC. Best contract ever handed out in MMA history from the looks of it, and they turn it down. Something smells of russian mafia bs.

#93 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:38 PM

i talked to nicky and sergei and they both said that they had nothing to do with putting the stop on this one. ;P

#94 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 03:45 PM

Something smells of russian mafia bs.

Yep, that's the rumor I've been picking up on as well. Fedor may actually be the most famous non-politician, Russian alive right now. (And Putin was in the audience at one of Fedor's last fights, and knows Fedor personally.) I think Fedor is caught between a rock and a hard place. He's at the whim of much more powerful individuals. ^_^
Posted Image

#95 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 04:33 PM

Seriously, this becoming absurd:

M-1 Global is denying a report that Fedor Emelianenko turned down a six-fight $30-million deal this week to join the UFC’s heavyweight ranks.

CBS Radio host Carmichael Dave reported Wednesday that Emelianenko had turned down an agreement that would have paid him $5 million per fight. However, Joost Raimond, CEO for M-1 Global, called the report “completely ludicrous” and said negotiations never even reached the point where the number of fights contracted for Emelianenko was decided. ... [Link]

:rolleyes:
Posted Image

#96 phillinley

phillinley

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:00 PM

To clear through the morass, it's somewhere in between to find the truth. It's looking like he's going to get 5 million each fight if the ppv sales go as projected, and given his sales power, that's easily achievable. He gets 750k guaranteed each fight before ppv bonus. Now M1 can say it's ludicrous that he's being offered 5 mill a fight because they can point to the 750k, but they shouldn't play ignorant as if the ppv bonus (which is the vast majority of the salary for a headlining fighter) doesn't exist.

#97 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:13 AM

Knockout of the year?

:o
Posted Image

#98 phillinley

phillinley

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:17 PM

Nothing can beat Hendo's knockout of Bisping last month. It was all the greater in that Bisping called Hendo's standup a joke and yet he circled right into his wheelhouse :o

#99 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:18 PM

Just throwing this out there: Pretty good UFC ppv tonite. :)

I'll be rooting for Forrest and Florian. :D
Posted Image

#100 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:05 PM

Apparently 10 seconds into the first fight, the Philadelphia crowd was booing already. :)
Posted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com