Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

What is the best material to cast these figures in?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 InnerRobot

InnerRobot

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 09:48 AM

I've been a lifelong fan of Battle Beasts. Now a sculptor and customizer with a background in casting, I wanted to try my hand at some castings and mold changes. What would be the best material that would be the closest (if not exact) match to the original figures?

#2 InnerRobot

InnerRobot

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:41 PM

I should mention that my intent here is purely artistic and have been looking for a community, such as this, to share my designs and battle beast themed projects. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to posting some of my work very soon!

#3 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:20 PM

Battle Beasts (and MUSCLE) were cast in a firmer, PVC-ish material which is atypical to what I generally think of as "rubber".

There are definitely casters on here with experience working with materials that could talk circles around me on this as I have very little experience, but to my understanding it's more difficult to cast than softer, bouncier rubber. Perhaps requiring injection molding even? Not sure, just guesses.

I know I've read a few discussions on these boards about materials, try digging around in the 'Customs' section and see if you haven't already

#4 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:44 AM

Clearflex 95 from smooth on is a nice firm rubber that would work great. You have to be careful with it, you need a chemical grade respirator and a consistent temperature around 70-80 degrees.

Edited by Ericnilla, 11 February 2016 - 01:45 AM.

#5 InnerRobot

InnerRobot

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:08 PM

Awesome! Thank you both for the great advice! Got some clearflex 95 on order as we speak

#6 GreenMountainBeastformers

GreenMountainBeastformers

Beastmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:41 PM

Clearflex 95 from smooth on is a nice firm rubber that would work great. You have to be careful with it, you need a chemical grade respirator and a consistent temperature around 70-80 degrees.

Great, Thanks I also just sent you a message about this, Great news!

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com