#1 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:15 PM

POPULAR

This thread will all be behind the scenes stuff about the process of designing and sculpting then producing Tug O' War. I often get asked questions about this stuff so i figured anyone interested in that aspect might appreciate everything laid out in one spot. 

Usually the original idea and design change significantly from concept to execution and that is exactly what happened with this monster. Here is the first quick sketch of the idea. Basically a monster with a tug boat on it's back used to disguise itself as it swims around looking for whaling ship to destroy.

TugOwar.jpg

Once the idea itself was approved work began. Of course basic changes take place throughout the entire process. Stuff like the pose being made more dynamic and other various details as well. Some stuff because it simply doesn't work well in clay but mostly because as weeks and months go by you just come up with better ideas along the way.

The head and torso took shape first. Both done roughly but when you sculpt in actual size for a mini-figure you really need to go step by step or things get much to big and ruin the scale easily. Using a clay that you cook in an oven makes it simple to cook as you go and add raw clay over whatever piece is finished. Overall the sculpt was probably cooked well over a dozen times before it was finished.

awip4.JPG

Then the hands came next which i had planned as the most detailed part of the monster from the very beginning. Something about the idea of a mostly smooth sea monster with skin like a shark seemed to work well with the contrast of some armored scales and tons of detail and texture on the hands. 

atug1.jpg

atug3.jpg

Then the arms which changed a lot from the original idea because i decided i wanted more of a muscular monster look rather then what you normally see with a classic giant monster. Obviously a lot of the creatures design comes from all the old japanese monster movies i love but at the same time i am always influenced by cool stuff from childhood like Street Sharks and Insectors. Which is why Tug O' War has so much muscle.

ajunetug1.JPG

Next the legs and the boat were made. The legs i made as short and stocky as possible since it is mostly a sea creature and the boat was designed to look like a cross between a tug boat and a toy boat since i didn't want any part of this figure to be hyper-realistic. I always lean towards the overall look of a toy rather then a model just because that's what i like.

amon1.jpg

Then it all came together. The tail was a must otherwise i couldn't see this thing actually swimming and the shards of ice and crystals around the boat are just because if the monster was underwater and the boat was above the water it would look really cool. Plus it makes more sense because the boat has to be attached somehow.

awar1.JPG

awar2.JPG

awar3.JPG

awar4.JPG

awar8.JPG

One thing i always tell everyone who asks for tips is just not to give up. This thing took months and months and changed over and over along the way. There were plenty of setbacks and mistakes. A couple breaks and one bad air bubble. There is no big secret to making a cool monster. It's just practice and time and effort and not quitting even when you really feel like it. You have to love what you're doing. It probably won't ever pay off as far as money for your time or anything else really tangible. All the effort and time and stress is worth it for me when i get a bunch of my toys in the mail to play with and when people tell me they liked what i created and when i see it on someone's shelf next to other toys i think are awesome. That's the payoff and for me it's well worth it. 

Edited by PlasticSoul, 30 November 2014 - 12:46 PM.

#2 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:00 PM

Knocked. It. Out. Of. The. Park!

#3 hellscrape

hellscrape

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:37 PM

This one kicks seven shades of butt.  I really like it!  Hopefully I'll have one in my collection one day soon.

#4 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:03 PM

Awesome to see this guy fully revealed! Came a long way from that kinder egg tug boat haha.

#5 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 02 December 2014 - 12:09 AM

I continue to share the dubious, idiotic distinction of never owning a single one of your pieces. Frequently due to entirely stupid reasons, other times simply to circumstances panning out so that it's not the right time or I don't have enough money or miss an announcement. I really don't want to keep that pattern going with this design.

I loved your concept but at first glance I wasn't sure I was feeling the same way about your initial design. I didn't rush scrolling through your post, took in the early sculpts and your thought process, and by the time I got to the final sculpt I was back on board. Tug O' War certainly resonates with your other interests, but you didn't lose what makes it uniquely kaiju either. Turns out you blended those elements a little differently than anticipated, is all. Very into that final product as something I want!

Only criticism to offer right now is how those look nothing like ice crystals, more like this is some kind of hybrid turtle or ankylosaur monster. Not sure what to do with that possibility outside of related art or maybe production color variants.

#6 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 06:11 AM

Thanks guys. It was really fun to sculpt something without giving any thought to the molding and casting process. Unbox is staffed by wizards and magic apparently!

Baltanll - Really appreciate the kind words and the criticism as well. It's always nice to hear good stuff but it's pretty awesome when someone takes the time to really analyze something enough to point out other stuff as well.

My idea was for the crystals was more along the lines of a mix of two things. Imagine a tugboat in the ocean stuck in the ice with those odd colored crystal things along the sides while the beast sleeps. Some crystals visible and some too covered in ice to be seen but the odd colors still showing through. Then a whaling ship passes by and the tugboat breaks free from the ice so you just see the boat with the strange colored crystals around it moving forward until it's close enough for the beast to come out from underwater and attack. The influence for the shapes was kind of like what the old cheesy Reeve superman movie fortress was made of haha. As far as colors i think for artwork i would let the colors shift constantly rather then be anything specific. 

#7 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:38 PM

img-20141128-wa0017.jpg

#8 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:35 PM

Very nice. I haven't seen the brass casting of him yet.

#9 Rubberhammer

Rubberhammer

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2463 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 03:31 PM

Cool sculpt, man!

I dig the ship as a decoy ploy also.
Neat idea.

#10 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts
  • Interests:Collecting MIMP and playing Fantasy Baseball.

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:24 PM

The timeline was interesting. I will probably give sculpting a try in the near future. I really want to make some obscure characters from old video games. Especially from Earthbound. 

My MIMP Resource site: http://mimpcollective.weebly.com

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#11 hellscrape

hellscrape

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 10:21 PM

I want a crystal blue one! Ocean colored!!!

#12 Jesse

Jesse

They should really get a breathalyzer on thi site

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts
  • Interests:Fistful of power, Universe of violence and random odds and ends...

Posted 14 December 2014 - 01:25 AM

The timeline was interesting. I will probably give sculpting a try in the near future. I really want to make some obscure characters from old video games. Especially from Earthbound.

Had the same idea some time ago but noticed in the 24h sculpting challenge it aint for me... i tried sculpting with soup, boy did i suck hahaha.. didint even get the shape of the figure right! :D
I have sculpted some simple things out of wood but dunno how it would work with more detailed stuff...

Just as an idea/question would you think candle wax would work better? Cause if you mess up you can melt more to cover up

Edit: no earthbound though

Edited by Jesse, 14 December 2014 - 01:26 AM.

#13 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:19 PM

Thanks guys.

I think everyone should try sculpting. It's all kinds of fun.

Jesse candle wax is a bad idea but you can buy sculpting wax which tons of people use and love. It's easy enough to work with but if you want super detail you need a wax pen which plugs in and heats up.

#14 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:08 AM

I bought some clay and made a little guy. He needs to be smoothed and baked, but I had fun messing with him. And Jesse, you are missing out. Earthbound is awesome. 

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#15 Jesse

Jesse

They should really get a breathalyzer on thi site

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts
  • Interests:Fistful of power, Universe of violence and random odds and ends...

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:09 AM

Might just have to check it out then... more off a crash bandicoot/rayman guy i am jak and daxter too ;)

I have actually allready drawn some stuff out of em. I think the jak and daxter ones are pretty cool

#16 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:24 AM

Might just have to check it out then... more off a crash bandicoot/rayman guy i am jak and daxter too ;)

I have actually allready drawn some stuff out of em. I think the jak and daxter ones are pretty cool

These are my favorite Earthbound guys:

Master_Belch.jpg

mrsaturn1_by_lethargicduality-d5w9nbr.pn

retrohippie_2.gif

#17 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:30 PM

Wait... So you guys are going to have an Earthbound conversation... Here?

#18 Metalmonkey

Metalmonkey

Ironhaus apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:Collecting/making/talking about LRGs.

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:41 AM

Haha. Back on topic..

Man, Plastic this guy looks really nice dude! Great to know about the process that goes on behind the scenes in making a figure like this. It's usually not something many artists do, for some reason.. But they really ought to, it's really helpful and great to see.

Thats all awesome information & advice which is practical and makes a heap of sense. I really like sculpting with oven-bakeable clay too, and I think baking in stages was probably the most helpful peice of advice I'd picked up along the way. That, and sand until the cows come home. Look forward to this guy's release, hopefully I'll snag one to add to my Lobsterman & Crites collection! Love your work, dude.

Edited by Metalmonkey, 16 December 2014 - 03:45 AM.

bannerfans20blog2015.jpgbanner2015_1.jpg

#19 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:13 AM

POPULAR

Thanks Metal. It's nice to hear that someone who likes my other stuff digs this thing too. It feels pretty different from everything else so i hope it still appeals to the people who were kind enough to grab my stuff before.

Vinyl test pulls!

Sooooooooooo excited now.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_10451.jpg
  • IMG_10471.jpg

Edited by PlasticSoul, 02 January 2015 - 01:14 AM.

#20 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:09 AM

Killer, final looks all sorts of neat!

This set is a definite must have!

#21 Rubberhammer

Rubberhammer

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2463 posts

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:46 AM

Dude, that thing is badass.

#22 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:56 PM

Thanks a lot guys.

I love how the texture looks in vinyl. Really gives it that smooth sea creature/shark skin look i wanted.

Plus it looks like it will be the most affordable toy i've ever been involved with which is just awesome.

#23 CaffeineSanta

CaffeineSanta

Formerly Be9ine

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 926 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., M.U.S.C.L.E.Super Rares, giant lots of M.U.S.C.L.E.

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:54 PM

Love this :)

Like coffee? I roast for a living! Check it out at caffepacori.com
Ask me about trading coffee for your spare M.U.S.C.L.E.S.! I'll take most, regardless of condition :D

#24 DaHumorist

DaHumorist

ig: @itsgregstoys

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 12:51 AM

plasticsoul, this is really a fantastic sculpt! Looking forward to picking this up when the time comes...

#25 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:36 PM

Appreciate the kind words guys. It really has been a fun thing to work on. It's amazing how much work goes into something like this. I don't mean from my side i mean after the sculpt is done there are so many steps to take. From molding the original then remolding that version in wax then an artist in hong kong hand cutting and reshaping the wax again for tooling then creating metal molds to pull out test versions and tweaking everything again. Not even taking into consideration the vinyl pouring and coloring and piecing everything together and that is just for blank versions which leaves out all the steps required for painting these things. Such an intricate process from start to finish just so a little toy i imagined can get into peoples hands at a reasonable price. It really is kind of mind blowing to watch it all unfold and gives me even more respect for the other people who have done the same type of thing.

Looks like the first color should start being pulled at the factory next week!

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com