#1 french_kiki

french_kiki

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 02:22 AM

Hi,

I'm not very involved in BB's world these months but i'm still here.

I read most as I write in the new forum (I was writing in Yahoo group mailing list).

I saw the french invasion and I must admit I don't like the way some french people speaks only in french language. This forum is a english spoken forum please. I'm into Playmobil too and there's a french section but posts are written in English as well in French so if you really want an internationl BB collectors world it would be better to make an effort to write in english dear french friends.

No offenses here :huh:

Just my 0.02,

Arnaud

#2 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 08:42 AM

I don't have any problem with the posts in French, but please remember, that the Moderators and the majority of the members on the board speak english only. So if you post in French, only a handful of people will be able to read it and you are limiting yourself to a few responders at most.

Of course there is always AltaVista's Babelfish translator, but that really is horrible at translating languages.

#3 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 10:32 AM

Hi,

I'm not very involved in BB's world these months but i'm still here.

I read most as I write in the new forum (I was writing in Yahoo group mailing list).

I saw the french invasion and I must admit I don't like the way some french people speaks only in french language. This forum is a english spoken forum please. I'm into Playmobil too and there's a french section but posts are written in English as well in French so if you really want an internationl BB collectors world it would be better to make an effort to write in english dear french friends.

No offenses here :huh:

Just my 0.02,

Arnaud

I am excited that soooooooooooo many collectors are finding and using this great site (thanks to JKaris)! I can see the French have a strong # of BB/LB collectors, which is great!

I appreciate Arnaud's request for the French collectors to try to post in English...it IS frustrating to the non-French reading/speaking collectors to see your all French posts. He is correct that if you are posting in French, that most other collectors will skip over your post due to not being able to read it. So you may miss out on either a good response or a good trade/sale opportunity.

Thanks,
TGB

#4 dragonaute_auxerrois

dragonaute_auxerrois

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 12:45 PM

It is more easier to us to speak in French and to be better understand.
I am agree to speak English when I want to understand by all and if I want an important answer but I will always use my mother tongue because we are much french collectors and if you want understand you can ask us or use a translator.

And must I remember you that battle beasts are Japan?

Amicalement dragonaute_auxerrois! :huh:

PS : if you want I can also speak German and Dutch!
:(

Wet Behind The Ears

• Guests

Posted 07 September 2004 - 06:14 PM

I think that's nice of Arnaud to say something, and bravo for puting in his two cents.
This is an English speaking forum. The difference is, we bastitch Americans don't know French, through our own weak education, but the French frequenters of this forum CAN speak English.

So how can we mediate this problem? Everyone should feel welcome to speak AND read AND understand their respective 'mother tongues'.

#6 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 06:56 PM

I think things are fine the way they are. If it is a general question, aimed at the general board, it should be spoken in english.

If it is a pointed question aimed at those on our board who have French as their first language, such as a question about the Dragonauttes line and the like, then it is fine if it is in French, since it makes for easier communication for those who speak French first.

#7 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 08:22 PM

I think things are fine the way they are. If it is a general question, aimed at the general board, it should be spoken in english.

If it is a pointed question aimed at those on our board who have French as their first language, such as a question about the Dragonauttes line and the like, then it is fine if it is in French, since it makes for easier communication for those who speak French first.

Not that this is a HUGE deal, however, isn't that what PM's and email is for?

The only problem with posting in another language other than English...is that MOST of the English speaking users will not translate it and they will simply skip over it.

That's all...

I think that is exactly what Arnaud was trying to point out to his fellow Frenchmen.

TGB

#8 french_kiki

french_kiki

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 07 September 2004 - 11:40 PM

That's true Marty,

I really want everybody speaking English in this forum.
If french people want badly speak french there's 2 solutions :

1°/ translating french words in English in the same post

2°/ having their own french Dragonautes forum :huh:

It's very frustrating, I think, for non-french people not be able to read french. In the other hand everybody here is able to understand English (I hope) so English has to be used as the forum language. It's a kind of respect to everybody.

Take care

Arnaud

Edited by french_kiki, 07 September 2004 - 11:41 PM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com