• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#26 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:09 AM

Already giving them away, huh? Surely this means they're doing well and more waves are on the way! :D

In all fairness, Toys"R"Us has been doing the same kind of sale for the other movie toylines. Terminator, Star Trek and X-Men Origins in particular, and two or three different comparable sales for Transformers.

All of which are still warming pegs at a TRU near you. Specifically Terminator and Star Trek, those had to be the least successful movie lines of all time. The only X-Men Origins stuff that's selling is the comic versions of characters that people are getting for their MU collections. They're gonna have to have another mega clearance to get rid of all those movie Wolverines though. And Transformers...well Transformers always sell, but there was still wave 1 stuff from the FIRST movie on pegs around here when they started putting stuff out for the second movie.

TRU is just starting to realize this year i think that movie lines just crash and burn after the first two weeks or so.
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#27 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:26 AM

Yeah, if it isn't a cartoon, or somehow based on animated characters, lines seem to crash. Kids have to recognize to want usually. I mean come on! Watching a cartoon you really love is awesome, but what was greater than finishing your Saturday Morning shows then having you parents surprise you with an action figure of a character from that show! Now you can play with and watch your favorite characters at the same time! :D

Edited by Universal Ruler Supreme, 23 July 2009 - 11:27 AM.

Posted Image

#28 gammo

gammo

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 11:59 AM

I was in TRU the other day and saw a huge amount of peg space dedicated to the new Trek movie. It looked like every peg was packed to the very edge as if nothing had sold. Looking at the toys/characters, I can see why. Why would a kid want a handful of "regular people" action figures wearing black slacks and a colored sweater?

Looks like toy versions of the Wiggles or something

Posted Image

#29 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:40 PM

TRU is just starting to realize this year i think that movie lines just crash and burn after the first two weeks or so.

I think movie lines typically do pretty well but they're usually flash-in-the-pan lines. A movie line will perform well right around the time a movie is released and sales will get a bit of a jump after it comes out on home video, but that's it. The days of movie lines lingering around even during non-movie years is pretty much over. There are a few exceptions (like Star Wars) but these days, the mission of a movie line is to sell as many toys as possible in the time frame between movie release and home video release.

We tend to think that movie lines are utter failures because we see them on clearance so frequently. But I think that's because the toy stores invariably order too much. The number of toys cleared out are probably minuscule compared to those sold. Of course, none of us are privy to sales figures, so we can't really tell for sure. But there's so much investment in movie lines every year that I can't believe that most of them fail.

#30 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:41 PM

HA! Toys'R'Us should stick wiggles stickers over the Star Trek logo, then stick them in the toddler section. They would probably be gone within the week. :D

Posted Image

#31 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:22 PM

All i'm saying is that all the crap that's out for this summer's movies had better not ruin orders for Iron Man 2 figures next year. Iron Man is the only good movie toyline.
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#32 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:22 PM

i put a little red "x" in the corner on the backs of the cards of these sale items to see if they actually move. i did it at toys r us and target for both gi joe and gormiti. i really don't think these are selling. so, in a week if the ten products i tagged are still there we'll know.

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#33 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:30 PM

Well, since the price on these guys have dropped dramatically since they have been peg warming for half a year now, I have been actually buying into the line. There is only 1 figure from the first few waves I havn't picked up, Pit commando. And I've purchased more than a few extra Cobra soldiers for army building.

However 1 wave seems to have totally bypassed my area. Has anyone seen any of Wave 4? This is probably one of the most promising looking waves, and despite my wide shopping area, I have not seen a single figure from this wave.
It consists of: Charbroil, Kamakura, Night Adder, Red Fang Ninja, and Nano-Viper. And this wave should have been on shelves since September. I completed Wave 5 Yesterday.

I have not gotten into any of the multipacks, vehicles, playsets, or exclusives from this series, although some look pretty cool. almost all of them appear to be nothing but repaints. Toys'R'Us' Exclusives looked the most promising, and appeared to be the best Value. One pack comes with 4 figures and a vehicle for like $25 bucks. However I can't justify the extended purchases for repaints in this line.

Interestingly, despite my distaste for the characters themselves, two of my favorite figures from this line are the Desert Assault Duke, and Jungle Assault Ripcord. They are great classic army figures.

Posted Image

#34 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:08 PM

It consists of: Charbroil, Kamakura, Night Adder, Red Fang Ninja, and Nano-Viper. And this wave should have been on shelves since September. I completed Wave 5 Yesterday.

Have you still not spotted any of these guys lately? Kamakura is, well, a ninja, but I have definitely spotted both Charbroil, Night Adder and Red Fang Ninja in the wild. No Nano-Viper, I don't think, can't remember!

I did spot a figure that at the time definitely seemed new - a Crimson Neo-Viper. I've only bought two Joe movie figures (City Strike Snake-Eyes and Elite Viper) and don't normally follow the line, so spotting guys like that I don't recognize is always fun. Would've bought him, but he was at Rite Aid, so he was overpriced.

#35 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:53 PM

Well, I had someone pick me up all of them but kamakura, then immediately started finding them put out at my local stores....go figure. Except Kamakura of course. :) Still havn't seen him, and believe it has to do with how the cases were assorted. As the few assortment lists I've seen on wave 4 figures didn't seem to have a kamakura in them. So I think he is area specific right now. Sort of how the Blue/Yellow Red/Blue Goliath figures for Marvel Universe has appeared to be so far. I have no idea why they appeared in my area so out of order.

So Kamakura is the last Single carded character I still need right now. I figure he will either pop up eventually, or he will wait to be stocked till I ask someone to buy him for me. :D

Posted Image

#36 phillinley

phillinley

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:46 PM

Yep, Kamakura is not in any of the current case assortments unfortunately. I'm pretty sure he will show back up in a pursuit of cobra assortment given how few people got him in his original wave.

#37 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:54 AM

Yep, Kamakura is not in any of the current case assortments unfortunately. I'm pretty sure he will show back up in a pursuit of cobra assortment given how few people got him in his original wave.

If we get the Pursuit series. As usual lines tend to die just shortly before their best offerings come out, and there are a handful of nice gems planned for this year, many of which put the first years assortments to shame. I'm sure I'll stumble upon a kamakura eventually either way. I could probably find him at a Walgreens or something, but he would cost like $10.99 there. :) The low ball sale price on these bloody things is what got me hooked, and though I'm sure they will eventually go back up, I'm hoping the low price will stay stuck on them a little while longer. I like getting fresh new figures at $5 bucks each. Takes me back to the 90's.

Posted Image

#38 phillinley

phillinley

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:04 AM

No reason why we won't get pursuit. With a trilogy in the works there's really no way the line is gonna tank at least til a year past the last movie. I've even got some of the pursuit figures coming to me from China right now :joecool:

#39 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:13 AM

No reason why we won't get pursuit. With a trilogy in the works there's really no way the line is gonna tank at least til a year past the last movie. I've even got some of the pursuit figures coming to me from China right now :joecool:

Really! Which ones? I'm looking forward to alot of the Jungle Assault, and City Strike offerings myself.

Posted Image

#40 phillinley

phillinley

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:00 AM

Got the arctic stuff, Whiteout, Arctic Shipwreck and Arctic Doc coming. I justified the extra cost by thinking TRU exclusives are usually expensive anyway and Whiteout will be one less vehicle driver. You can get most of the Jungel Assault and City Strike stuff on taobao pretty easily at this point. They'll all be loose though, and you have to be careful that all the accessories are there.

#41 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:22 PM

What City Strike stuff is left to be released at retail? The only one I know is the Flight Pod with that gaudy-but-kinda-cool Elite-Viper recolor. Everything else that's currently unreleased but themed seems to be Jungle or Desert or Arctic.

Man, you got me wasting a good chunk of time on Hisstank catching up on releases and stuff, LOL.

Edited by Boaconda, 23 December 2009 - 03:23 PM.

#42 phillinley

phillinley

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:32 PM

What City Strike stuff is left to be released at retail?

Isn't there still a City Strike Duke? I can't remember if he's been released yet or not, since he and Ripcord are invisible to me on the pegs as I wish they did not exist.

#43 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:42 PM

Nah, he's out. I've seen him in person and I can't make heads or tails of his "vehicle". Just a bizarre figure overall.

#44 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:42 AM

There are 3 sweet City Strike figs planned for this year, and I hope to get them all. Firefly, Scarlett, and Beachhead.

Generalsjoes is a great site for catching up with the new stuff. Here is the Pursuit of Cobra page.

http://generalsjoes....obra-superpage/

Posted Image

#45 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:43 PM

Well, shizznit. I noticed bits about a 2010 Firefly, but that one is HOT. Ditto the Beachhead and Scarlett, and I wouldn't normally consider either of them.

#46 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:36 PM

Yeah, and after looking through them all again, the only figure I think sucks out of this years offerings is the Training gear Duke. Everyone else looks great! The Jungle Assault Storm Shadow, and the new Zartan! ARGG!!!! Can't wait! :lol:

Posted Image

#47 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:02 AM

When I saw the regular figures of this line in TRU over here I wasn't too impressed to be honest, but today I saw these four deluxe figures sets in Home Bargains for £3.99, and they are super-sweet! I got Air-Viper Commando with Cobra C.L.A.W., Grand Slam with Air Assault Glider, Cobra Eel with Wave Crusher and Snake Eyes with Arashikage Cycle.

I think they're Target exclusives (they have a sticker on them saying "Only at Target") though, so how they ended up on clearance in the UK is a bit of a mystery :(

I never had any GI Joe when I was a kid (or Action Force as they were known here) so this is a new line for me. These will look great on my desk here in work.
<span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#8b0000;">Stuff I'm selling: <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=220814">Madballs Water Squirters</a> *</strong></span> <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=154077">Gormiti</a> * <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=148080">Miscellaneous (MIMP, FOA etc)</a></strong></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#808000;">Stuff I really need:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=235893"><strong>HERE</strong></a></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#008000;">Stuff I collect:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...showtopic=44163"><strong>Gormiti</strong></a></span><br><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;">Get your own easy-to-use</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...ndpost&p=264795"><strong>M.U.S.C.L.E.</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">or</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...08"><strong>MIMP Series 1/2</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">checklists!</span></span>

#48 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts

Posted 12 February 2010 - 04:04 PM

It's a shame you didn't pick up the SERPENT Armor. I know that it's a Target exclusive, but I'm not sure it's in that assortment. It looks kinda silly, but retro in a good way too.

Hasbro UK doesn't usually brand their shared Transformers or Joe exclusives, so they probably just got shipped stock that already had the Target stickers on them. Silly, but not the dumbest thing to be done by good old Hasbro UK!

#49 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 13 February 2010 - 07:04 AM

I just checked, and the four I have were Wave 1 of the Target exclusive deluxe figures; that SERPENT Armor is from Wave 2 - but maybe it'll turn up here too...?
<span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#8b0000;">Stuff I'm selling: <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=220814">Madballs Water Squirters</a> *</strong></span> <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=154077">Gormiti</a> * <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=148080">Miscellaneous (MIMP, FOA etc)</a></strong></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#808000;">Stuff I really need:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=235893"><strong>HERE</strong></a></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#008000;">Stuff I collect:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...showtopic=44163"><strong>Gormiti</strong></a></span><br><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;">Get your own easy-to-use</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...ndpost&p=264795"><strong>M.U.S.C.L.E.</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">or</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...08"><strong>MIMP Series 1/2</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">checklists!</span></span>

#50 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 11:26 AM

Has anyone seen any of the new Pursuit figures out yet? :lol:

I'm a little worried, a number of the figures shown last year weren't featured at the toy fair this year, and :GulP: I'm concerned that lovely City Strike Scarlett might not see the light of day. -_-

Posted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com