127 replies to this topic

#76 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 01:38 AM

Cool is cool and BOTH styles are VERY cool in my opinion. I lean slightly towards the Lion and first Lizard style but i'd be all over all 3 without question. There's enough room in my LRG collection for them all.
Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#77 albaldwin83

albaldwin83

Closing in on the final LBs!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:50 AM

I think the second lizard style is brilliant! I much prefer if to the lion and the first lizard. I personally think it would look better painted and with articulation at the shoulders. But either way, if they go with that design, count me in!

#78 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

Time for another picture!

promo_ape_01_sm.jpg

Ok, so they are resubmitting for pricing from China for a few things:

Shoulder articulation only.
Painted (1/3) and non-painted (2/3) - split run to put out both styles.
All 3 normal figures AND the 2nd lizard.

If the pricing is in line with keeping a relatively decent retail price point, then I will set up a Kickstarter and we will see if the line has enough interest to make it a reality for them (and us) in this format.

---------------------------

To answer some more questions:

In regards to the more human like body styling, it fits the back story better. These are human/beast hybrids, kind of like in Dr. Moreau.

If the initial launch (in this format) is successful, you should be seeing 2-4 new figures every 3-4 months. The hope is to keep the price point low enough, so that people can afford to buy a couple without putting much thought into it, and for those who are completists or army builders, they can amass a small army without breaking the bank.

There was a previous militaristic line that was going to be the initial launch, but the decision was made that the animals in armor property would get a better reception. The initial idea was for fully articulated (80's Joe articulation) non-painted mini-figures. That doesn't seem cost effective at this point, but may be in the future.

As far as issues with Hasbro/Takara, their lawyer doesn't see any infringement issues. They aren't being called "Battle Beasts" or being given the same names. The sculpts are different. There may be some similarities, but there are plenty of similarities between Battle Beasts, Thundercats, Masters of the Universe, Sectaurs, etc, etc. A sentient animal in combat gear is a pretty common theme.

Snap-on armor was discussed but isn't cost effective at this scale or within the price point that they have in mind.

I talked to them about Toy Fair and they would love to be there next year once they have some product to show. If that happens, then maybe the line will get picked up by Wal-Mart or TRU. Myself, I would love to see these figures in fully articluated 3.75" format on the pegs at Wallyworld!

#79 lhssenior

lhssenior

Toy Addict

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1464 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:08 AM

That Gorilla is total WIN!

#80 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:17 AM

That Gorilla is total WIN!

Yep, he is my 2nd favorite of the 3. I like the lizard best.

Here is a close up of his mug.
promo_ape_head_01_med.jpg

#81 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for the update Jkaris!

Hmmmm not really one of my favorites this last gorilla compared to that lizard but that's just a personal taste issue, like not every BB is as good as the other.....

I agree that shoulder articulation would be the best but in that case in relation to their scale and knowing the issues with the BB they need to find the right articulation method to prevent breaking as much as possbile. Looking at this scale and the flesh around their shoulders I'm affraid this might be a weak point so its surely something to pay attention to.

Think that should take a strong position in launching or the human/body beasts or the BB looking beasts and not both as that would be their first mistake as they'll already have a hell of a job to do launching one of these succesfully they just have to set their priorities. From that point I think these human/beast hybrids would indeed be the best also to prevent any issues or possible similarities with the orignal BB as I think that 2nd Lizard might get to close to it especially using the shoulder articualtion, in that case just a different name wouldn't bring you to far with a lawyer.

The launching idea of 2 or 3 figs every time within a time span of a few months sounds good especially if they can make it work with a good price. For sure a large percentage of the people here would be in for this new line.

Thumbs up and keep them comming or are these (lion/lizard/monkey) the first three, which would mean we've to wait a few months again to see new figs :)

Edited by GJNL, 15 January 2012 - 12:53 PM.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#82 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

GAME. OVER.

I want that Ape. I dont care what has to be done but i want that Ape. Pass THAT message along. No matter what i want that APE. It blows everything else out of the water due to the facial expression alone.

Ape army. Red armor. :yahoo:

Time for another picture!

promo_ape_01_sm.jpg

Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#83 mannakat

mannakat

Electro Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:Creature junkie, werewolves, dinosaurs

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

This is really exciting! Especially since Hasbro/Takara don't seem to be making things difficult.

GJNL brings up some good points, though one way they could get away with more 'brutish' looking figures (like the second Lizard) is to have him as a more 'evil' hybrid, or a 'super soldier' type beast. It could open up some options, like making them more rare or 'special' releases if the line does well, I'm sure an explanation could be reached to have the vast majority of the beasts be the more human-body type, with a few hulk-type beasts thrown in every now and then.

DST is really going to have a tough time competing with these guys, but maybe a little pressure will be good for them!

#84 tofudrifter81

tofudrifter81

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:Kinnikuman, MUSCLE, BB, RoboTech, Sprial Zone, SD Gundam

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:21 AM

I would like to see just shoulder articulation painted or mono color either way!
"They didn't make me Captain because I could sail"

#85 nanoFatato

nanoFatato

Chi sono? Da dove vengo?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:56 AM

How could I've missed this topic? Easy, because I don't read the BB section :closedeyes:

I really like the concept, but I'd prefer a bulkier/chunkier sculpt, think of a MOTUC and shrink it.
If the injection molding process will retain most of the details of the original proto I'd say go for the unpainted ones, and if they come with a weapon, give'em arms articulation to use it :)

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#86 mca19

mca19

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Mainly Battle Beasts/Laser Beasts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

I just can't get past that lizard. I like the other 3 a little, but add a weapon & articulating shoulder to that lizard and I'd scoop figures like that off the market fast.

#87 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

Well, I'm glad the 2nd lizard will see production. I think, storyline wise, there would still be a call for the stockier built figures. Hulk up, Lizard-Dudes!

#88 GammaJetpunch

GammaJetpunch

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:01 PM

The designs have promise. The Lion figure, imho, could've had a more prominent mane, but it looks very good otherwise. The reptile looks flawless.

The ape, despite the weapon paying homage to the G1 BB line.... sadly, looks too "Orcish" to me. Maybe if they added a second pair of prominent teeth sticking up along with the ones that already exist, I'd say it'd look significantly less like an Orc ripoff (not that I'm trying to call ANYTHING a ripoff, mind you), along with making its neck not look so bald (you'll see what I mean).

#89 transformersontheshelf

transformersontheshelf

The Toy Store Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Interests:Toys and Games of all sorts!

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:54 AM

thanks for the pricing updates, I'm very anxious to here an exact number, but know that will be down the line. By the time this line launches I should have some money to buy up some of these. I will promote the hell out of them. Collectors here eat stuff like this up.

#90 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:09 PM

Just out of curiosity what names are they giving them? It is obvious they can't use Pirate Lion or White Leo. But could they do White Lion or Pirate Leo? Just curious.

WhiteLeo

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#91 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:21 PM

I think it would be better if they didn't name them.
Honestly, I get Lizard #2, I'm calling it "Lizard #2".

#92 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

Supposedly there is a storyline of these, so im sure there will be names... i'm guessing. :)

#93 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

I mean, I get it.... I just think, storywise, that less is more, when it comes to this property.

And, I'm stuck on "Lizard #2".

#94 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

Just an update. Nothing new to share right now but I will have news next week.

Until then, did you guys have any suggestions on animals for wave 2?

#95 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:07 PM

Eh......... a Rabbit!? :)

Think it would be interesting to take a look in the other topic concerning possible new BB or suggestions for it, I think just one on one using exactly the same BB isn't very attractive and to predictable so they should use the ideas spread out there in their advantage.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#96 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

Boar

#97 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:27 PM

A gator or crocodile, maybe based off of Gustave from Burundi?

#98 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:29 PM

Deer, Rhino, Bulldog and Spider.

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#99 WarOnTheShore

WarOnTheShore

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts