39 replies to this topic

#1 jack.aubrey

jack.aubrey

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 11:40 AM

Quick question: Besides Starcom, were there any other figures/toylines that had similar sizes and articulation to the Air Raider soldiers? Other lines like Dino-Riders, M.A.S.K., Sky Commanders are too big, Wheeled Warriors comes the closest but even they are a bit too big.

Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Balok2

Balok2

Baloksblog on Instagram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Dioramas, PVC minifigs, 40mm figs, ROTB, GLYOS, and wide range of toy interests

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:44 PM

Yeah the Air Raiders are exactly 2 inches, and they are on what I'd term the 'fine featured' side of this scale, meaning the body proportions are very realistic, not deformed or cartoonish. For a perfect match outside of Starcom, I've found the following so far that look like they 'belong' with Air Raiders, I will place some pics in same order:

1) NASCAR Racers (Fox Kids, Hasbro)
2) Matchbox Mega-Rig Dinosaur Rescue (no pics, but the two pilots that come with that playset are a good AR match)
3) Armarauders pilot figure, possibly the best 2" action figure ever made (far right, blue Armor)
4) Jada Toys HALO these guys are pictured with the Armarauders pilot. They have decent articulation and great sculpts.

Attached Files

#3 Balok2

Balok2

Baloksblog on Instagram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Dioramas, PVC minifigs, 40mm figs, ROTB, GLYOS, and wide range of toy interests

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:24 PM

For articulation 2" scale but with bulkier proportions and less detail, consider Mattel's DC Mighty Minis. The Wonder Woman figure would be great custom fodder (the arms are perfect for a male Air Raider).
Also the GLYOS buildable figure system has parts that you could creatively condense to the 2" scale:

Attached Files

#4 jack.aubrey

jack.aubrey

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:11 AM

Wow, thanks Balok!

I went and nabbed some of the Halo guys. Some of the other lines don't seem to have too much available but I'll keep an eye out! I really like the look of the yellow/blue Glyos guys.

#5 bronchuseven

bronchuseven

pentagonal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:17 PM

Those are indeed cool, but you'd have to get multiple different sets to make them: I'm seeing Banimon, Glyan, hub set, and axis joint parts.

#6 jack.aubrey

jack.aubrey

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:10 PM

Ah, I didn't realize they were from different sets! Good to know, thanks!

#7 Balok2

Balok2

Baloksblog on Instagram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 10:51 AM

Will keep an eye out for more Air Raiders comparable/compatible figs. Yes those Jada HALO figs seem to be available in loose lots, while the others are not as easy to find, but keep a search up on eBay for NASCAR Racers Fox Kids, they seem to turn up.
This might be a reach, but consider also the articulated Cylon pilot figure from 90's Trendmasters Cylon Raider, it was bang-on for scale & sculpt with AR. Oddly, the Colonial pilot from the Viper ship in the same line was an entirely different scale.

#8 jack.aubrey

jack.aubrey

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 05:48 PM

Will keep an eye out for more Air Raiders comparable/compatible figs. Yes those Jada HALO figs seem to be available in loose lots, while the others are not as easy to find, but keep a search up on eBay for NASCAR Racers Fox Kids, they seem to turn up.
This might be a reach, but consider also the articulated Cylon pilot figure from 90's Trendmasters Cylon Raider, it was bang-on for scale & sculpt with AR. Oddly, the Colonial pilot from the Viper ship in the same line was an entirely different scale.

Guy on the right?

5a49e1_facb4f005ade4bc881e2dd4049037699.

#9 Balok2

Balok2

Baloksblog on Instagram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 06:17 PM

Guy on the right?
5a49e1_facb4f005ade4bc881e2dd4049037699.

That's it Jack! The Cylon has the right proportions and height to stand in the Air Raider line up.
Hey found 2 more current lines with AR scaled, articulated figs: Power Rangers (various Zords still on shelves) and the most recent Fast & Furious toys ( will get some decent side-by-side comparison pics up tomorrow).

Attached Files

#10 ahrinn

ahrinn

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:06 PM

Sorry for the picture quality, but I'm not much of a photographer.  In any case, here are some I've been collecting in somewhat similar scales.  First is from Lionel Power Masters, an obscure line from 1988, though there is a live auction on eBay Sunday, October 15 for a few pieces.  They're articulated at the neck, shoulders, and hips.  Great sculpts, but the heads are a little large for the bodies (80s toy, after all).  The second is actually a kitbash I've been working on, but all the parts from the neck down are from Lionel Polar Express figures.  They're articulated at the neck, shoulders, hips, and knees and have decent sculpts, considering the source material.  Third is obviously an Air Raider.  Fourth is apparently from Fox Kids NASCAR Racers (thanks for the ID, Balok, I'm addicted now).  Good sculpt and same articulation as Air Raiders, but kind of hard to find.  Fifth and Sixth are from the Fast & Furious Stunt Stars mentioned above.  They have what I've come to think of as standard articulation for this size and come with 1/32 scale vehicles from the movies.  They're actually a lot of fun and Mattel's website has some that aren't at retail stores yet.  Seventh is from WWE Micro Aggression line.  Wrestling figures, but you can sometimes find some in plain clothes instead of tights.  Proportions tend to be kind of exaggerated.  Eighth is a Transformers 3rd party accessory from Dr. Wu (Partners series).  Fits well with the Transformers Masterpiece line, though just a bit bigger than the official figures from that line.  Articulated only at shoulders, hips, and knees.  Ninth is a pilot figure from a Russian tabletop game called Robogear.  It consists of a series of model battle-mech's (somewhere between Battletech and Exo-Squad, with weapons that really fire) that you can build and paint, then use in a game similar to Warhammer.  Articulated at shoulders and hips.  Finally, tenth and eleventh are from a line called Battle Builders from Playmates.  Most have a Mad-Max feel to them and are articulated at the neck, shoulders, hips, and knees.  Also sometimes good are the figures from Matchbox's Mega-Rig line.  I say sometimes because they have been made in 3 different scales throughout the series and it's hard to say what that will be.  Most of the dinosaur themed ones are pretty good, but much of the earlier series are only just over an inch high and the very newest ones are a bit over 2 inches, so maybe half a head to a head taller than Air Raiders figures.

Attached Files

#11 ahrinn

ahrinn

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:02 PM

I dug up some more figures to expand on my previous post.  So I had high hopes for the 2006 TMNT line and the recent Jurassic World mini figures.  Sadly, both were larger than I had expected.  The Mighty Minis line from Matel is a nice size, but tends to look cartoony and is only articulated at the neck, shoulders, and waist.  Next is a comparison of the Dr. Wu figure with the official Transformers figures.  All probably too small for what you want.  Finally, a demonstration of the difference in Matchbox Mega-Rig scales.  The first is from the early "rescue" series, second from the middle "adventure" series and third from the newest line that didn't seem to have a theme.

Attached Files

#12 Balok2

Balok2

Baloksblog on Instagram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 08:00 AM

These scale comparison posts you've done are a real gift ahrinn, thanks for doing this! I find these really useful and wow you've got a wide range of figures!
I always wondered about those Lionel Polar Express figs; are they similar PVC to the Transformers figs down the row, or are they hard plastic?

#13 Balok2

Balok2

Baloksblog on Instagram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:46 AM

Inspired by ahrinn, here's some more side-by-side comparison shots for Air Raider compatible scale. Top row are figures from current Power Rangers zords, possibly on discount in stores now. Bottom row is the Jada HALO figures which seem to be available as groups on eBay (high detail and articulation). Also in the line up is a figure from current Fast & Furious line.

Attached Files

#14 Balok2

Balok2

Baloksblog on Instagram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:59 AM

Among Mattel's DC Mighty Minis, two figures that seem to work best (among the Superhero line) with Air Raiders:
1) Wonder Woman, seems to have better detail in her sculpt and could be converted to a female AR. Her arm proportions would fit on most of the AR figs too.
2) LexCorp Armor though very wide, has the detail and armoured look of the AR line, could easily walk among them.

Attached Files

#15 Balok2

Balok2

Baloksblog on Instagram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:17 AM

Just dug out these Shadow Strikers from Kenner 1990's. I recall them being larger, like MASK scale, but turns out they are closer to Air Raiders than I remembered. Height and proportions are good, with just a touch of 'big head' syndrome on these guys. Articulation same, with bonus head rotation/neck swivel. The gimmick on these figures was a color change to 'invisible' when immersed in warm water to match their partially invisible vehicles. The figs are highly durable, reminding me of scaled down Fisher Price Adventure People.

Attached Files

#16 jack.aubrey

jack.aubrey

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:31 AM

Wow, thanks guys! Shadow Strikers, Battle Builders, Power Masters; some of these guys are fantastic and would make a great fit! Even the Fast and Furious guys (Rock!) would look cool as a converted General for the rebels. It's amazing that I've never heard of (or forgot) half these toylines. The LexCorp Armor would make a cool heavy shock trooper for the Tyrants of Wind.

#17 ahrinn

ahrinn

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 10:41 AM

These scale comparison posts you've done are a real gift ahrinn, thanks for doing this! I find these really useful and wow you've got a wide range of figures!
I always wondered about those Lionel Polar Express figs; are they similar PVC to the Transformers figs down the row, or are they hard plastic?

They're pvc, though not super bendy.  I wish there were more of them, but Lionel seems to restrict articulation to its "kids" lines.  There are plenty of decent train movies (or at least scenes) to pull sets from.  Imagine a Back to the Future III set, or Wild Wild West, even Snowpiercer.  Oh, well.

#18 ahrinn

ahrinn

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:25 AM

Wow, thanks guys! Shadow Strikers, Battle Builders, Power Masters; some of these guys are fantastic and would make a great fit! Even the Fast and Furious guys (Rock!) would look cool as a converted General for the rebels. It's amazing that I've never heard of (or forgot) half these toylines. The LexCorp Armor would make a cool heavy shock trooper for the Tyrants of Wind.

The Power Masters all come with jet-packs that let them attach to their core "vehicles" called fusionoids.  The fusionoids are motorized and can roll along on their own or plug into larger vehicles to power features such as a spinning radar dish or "firing action" flak cannons.  To me, they would sort of bridge the gap between Air Raiders and Sky Commanders (who I wish were the same scale).

Attached Files

• Attached File  PM1.JPG   60.21K   5 downloads
  • Attached File  PM2.JPG   101.06K   4 downloads

#19 ahrinn

ahrinn

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 11:28 AM

Just dug out these Shadow Strikers from Kenner 1990's. I recall them being larger, like MASK scale, but turns out they are closer to Air Raiders than I remembered. Height and proportions are good, with just a touch of 'big head' syndrome on these guys. Articulation same, with bonus head rotation/neck swivel. The gimmick on these figures was a color change to 'invisible' when immersed in warm water to match their partially invisible vehicles. The figs are highly durable, reminding me of scaled down Fisher Price Adventure People.

Thanks, Balok!  I'll definitely have to look for these.  I've seen a picture of the blue one before, but just assumed they were MASK sized and didn't bother with them.

#20 replicant01

replicant01

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:00 PM

I believe I have the entire Shadow Strikers line, can take pics if anyone's interested.  Just let me know.

Also thanks for the pics guys, looks like there are a few 2" figures I need to track down.

Edited by replicant01, 15 October 2017 - 09:02 PM.

#21 Balok2

Balok2

Baloksblog on Instagram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 09:06 PM

I believe I have the entire Shadow Strikers line, can take pics if anyone's interested.  Just let me know.

Also thanks for the pics guys, looks like there are a few 2" figures I need to track down.

Would love to see the Tank and the large Jet fighter , never saw either of those in the wild. Was a high quality, well engineered line.

#22 McCTXToys

McCTXToys

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:20 AM

A little bit bigger than Air Raiders, but there's also the Men of Medal line.

#23 Balok2

Balok2

Baloksblog on Instagram

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 02:46 PM

A little bit bigger than Air Raiders, but there's also the Men of Medal line.

Good call, (and nice obscure line) they are the right height, but very thick body proportions. They could be included though; I'd say along the same thick-bodied proportions would fall the Computer Warriors line.

#24 jack.aubrey

jack.aubrey

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:54 PM

Not that they would work for Air Raiders, but wasn't there an Eagle Force toyline that was close in size too?

#25 replicant01

replicant01

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:38 PM

Sorry for the late reply guys, here's a couple of quick crap-quality pics of the Shadow Strikers collection, will take better detailed pics later this week.  Balok, will definitely take a few detailed pics of the tank & helicopter for you.  It is indeed a nicely engineered line, & was a neat feature seeing the mechanics in action.  Nice rainbow assortment of colors on the figures.  I think that's the entire lineup.

Attached Files

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com