Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Romando's Kinnikuman Line - Why Couldn't They All Be Like Satan Cross?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 unclevatred

unclevatred

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Romando's Kinnikuman line

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:09 PM

So I've really been sinking my teeth into Romando's old Kinnikuman line the last few months, and I recently got my hands on my absolute most wanted figure: Satan Cross!

This guy (These guys?) cost me a pretty penny, but the minute I saw him listed on Anime Jungle, I went for it.

Even before I got super into Romando, this was a figure I always wanted. I have a weird leaning towards loving characters that have multiple limbs or faces, so even before I read the Kinnikuman manga, I loved the way Satan Cross looked.

Once I read the manga, I ended up really digging the character as well as the design and started desperately wanting the Romando. Of course he's one of the absolute hardest Romando to come by

Well now that I have him, i can see why. I feel this figure is near perfect. Definitely the best Romando I have, maybe the best Romando they made. The sculpt is on point, the articulation is great, but most importantly, it is a solid, well made figure. You can't really say that about a lot of Romando.

It really is a shame more figures in the line couldn't be like this one. There's not really much information about Romando online, so I'm curious if anyone knows: Where they notorious in general for having wildly varying quality in their production? What else did they make besides Kinnikuman stuff? Was it just a money thing? You'd figure they'd go for consistency in the product while attempting to save as much money as possible.

I've never seen so much inconsistency in terms of quality in the same toyline.

You have a figure like Mixer Taitei, who's body is literally made out of the same material as the package he came in. But then a figure like Satan Cross, who could be favorably compared to something like a MOTU Classic in terms of overall quality.

Don't get me wrong, I like all of the Romando I have. At the end of the day they display fine and are such cool display pieces to have. 

It's just now, having Satan Cross in hand, this really is one of the weirdest toylines ever.

#2 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:01 PM

There was so much variation in the line (I have 90%+ of them). Early on you had the solid PVC figures and the crappy rotocast vinyl ones. The big winners were the ones like Buffaloman, Akuma Shogun, etc. The losers were Beauty Rhodes, Mr Carmen, etc.
Then they started branching out with better articulation, which made for very cool figures, but the joints got loose real fast.
Towards the end they had a few super figures like your Satan Cross and the last version of Buffaloman (HUGE, SOLID, KILLER PAINTS!) At the very end, everything was overpriced, rotocast vinyl and blah.

Romandoh put out other lines (I have one of their Gaiking figures) but nothing too memorable to me. That Gaiking figure is sweet, but tiny (20cm). He was around $100 when I bought him and was expecting something Budo-sized.

#3 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:05 PM

Also, if you are getting into collecting them, you can score some serious deals on YJP these days.
http://page8.auction...tion/h226952566

Especially with the dollar to yen ratio the way it is.

Here is ageneral Kinikuman Romandoh search:
http://auctions.sear...mode=1&slider=0

#4 unclevatred

unclevatred

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  • Interests:Romando's Kinnikuman line

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:47 AM

There was so much variation in the line (I have 90%+ of them). Early on you had the solid PVC figures and the crappy rotocast vinyl ones. The big winners were the ones like Buffaloman, Akuma Shogun, etc. The losers were Beauty Rhodes, Mr Carmen, etc.Then they started branching out with better articulation, which made for very cool figures, but the joints got loose real fast.Towards the end they had a few super figures like your Satan Cross and the last version of Buffaloman (HUGE, SOLID, KILLER PAINTS!) At the very end, everything was overpriced, rotocast vinyl and blah.Romandoh put out other lines (I have one of their Gaiking figures) but nothing too memorable to me. That Gaiking figure is sweet, but tiny (20cm). He was around $100 when I bought him and was expecting something Budo-sized.

Yeah I'm very conflicted about a lot of those final figures they made. I think they cover some of the coolest characters in the series (Golem Man in particular is one I really want for my collection) but I know they are pretty meh in quality, not to mention crazy expensive.

Even the rotocasting I don't really mind when it was done well - I think Kendaman is a great figure even though it's hollow and kinda flimsy. It's sturdy and looks awesome. But then there's a figure like SteCasse King, which isn't a great sculpt and is so flimsy and lightweight that it can barely stand.

It sucks that a lot of the weirder, cooler characters tend to be the ones that are more cheaply made.

#5 xStarlightEX

xStarlightEX

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:18 AM

good for you! I started to collect Kinnikuman figure like a year ago there were several romando figures I wanted and I just god Prisman for a cheap price, since a lot of this figure are insanely expensive I will try to collect only the Super phoenix team, I have found them all on ebay but Satan Cross is the only I haven't been able to find, right now I'm focusing in get every single figure from the s.h. figuarts line since they are more accessible 

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com