11 replies to this topic

#1 Coelocanth

Coelocanth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:21 AM

Did anyone else see this guy? (Didn't see posting elsewhere.) For now, an incentive for the OMFG Series 3 Kickstarter.

It's awesome, and very limited for now, but you know October Toys is gonna produce the shit out of it in every colorway possible.

Edit: I'm an idiot and now see that there's discussion here already.

Edited by Coelocanth, 02 April 2013 - 07:22 AM.

#2 iwao

iwao

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1481 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:27 AM

It's awesome, and very limited for now, but you know October Toys is gonna produce the shit out of it in every colorway possible.

I still think it will be a big boost to the OMFG Kickstarter if the black zombie Pheyden is only available through the KS. I'll probably bump my pledge from $25 to $50.

#3 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

I was sure it was an April Fool's joke...

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#4 ersico

ersico

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

its legit, i bumped up to the $50 pledge, cant wait to paint 2 of those up :)

#5 McCTXToys

McCTXToys

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:22 AM

Ugh. Only because of that guy I may pledge for a black & flesh set.

#6 iwao

iwao

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1481 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:14 AM

Ugh. Only because of that guy I may pledge for a black & flesh set.

:lol: Hard to beat $25 shipped for 12 figures. I think it's worth it for anyone that likes the Pheyden and even just one of the OMFG figures. Dr. Decay is one that I would pay the typical $15 for in rubber or resin if it wasn't getting made through OMFG, and I prefer to have it in PVC.

#7 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:40 PM

I think it's been announced it will be sold like the baby beets so i'll just wait til it comes out in a color i really like(metallic purple or green)and costs like 2 or 3 bucks rather then pledge 25 bucks.

#8 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

Good point ^

#9 iwao

iwao

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1481 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:41 PM

I think it's been announced it will be sold like the baby beets so i'll just wait til it comes out in a color i really like(metallic purple or green)and costs like 2 or 3 bucks rather then pledge 25 bucks.

Look at it as $25 to help guys like monsterforge use OT's factory connection to get 200 free figures to sell however they want. I don't really buy into OMFG being a royal screwjob on the artists. I can't think of a more profitable way for an artist to independently release a figure than to be given 200 of it for free. redjarojam can correct me if my thinking is wrong on that.

#10 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

Id rather just buy some stuff from his store, that money goes directly to him.

#11 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:36 AM

Look at it as $25 to help guys like monsterforge use OT's factory connection to get 200 free figures to sell however they want. I don't really buy into OMFG being a royal screwjob on the artists. I can't think of a more profitable way for an artist to independently release a figure than to be given 200 of it for free. redjarojam can correct me if my thinking is wrong on that.

Nope that is exactly my feeling. I did the easiest part, make a design/sculpt. I don't have deal with a factory, or customers or ship regularly. I continue sitting on my couch eating potato chips thinking of more dumb shit to sculpt, which I would be doing whether OMFG was happening or not. A toy I made is being sold all over the world with my name attached on a far larger scale than I ever could pull off on my own. 200 figures to sell between 3-6 bucks depending on how you want to gouge people is pretty decent money. Plus 1 of every color released, even if colors come out later. Right now I have a box on its way to me with a few new colors. I think I am the only artist involved that didn't pledge too haha.

I assume if you are a sculptor working for a toy company you get paid a certain fee to make a sculpt. Now if that figure ends up being a major cash cow, the company is going to make a good amount of money. You as the sculptor, not so much. For the scale of production of OMFG I see my free figures as adequate. These figures aren't raking in tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars. I am not worried that I will see George shut down his web show, toy site and forum and move to a million dollar villa in the Mediterranean with money he mmade off my Puke Knight sculpt. As more series get made, there is more and more for him to deal with. Getting the new purple for series 1 and new yellow for series 2 all while working with factory for series 3 is much more than my fat ass does.

In the fine art world, if you sell a piece of your work in a gallery, the gallery usually gets half the sale price. So if you sell a painting for $5,000 they take $2,500. One of my professors told me as a professional courtesy if he sold a work that he showed at a gallery after his show was over, he would still give the gallery half. It is about the partnership/symbiosis of artists and galleries. Better known galleries will get you more money. They provide the venue, do the leg work of press releases, inviting certain big pocket collectors etc. OMFG is somewhat the same way. Myself and others wouldn't have production level toys without OMFG and OMFG wouldn't be a toy series without us.

Could the situation with OMFG be better? Heck yes, it would be awesome to get a check cut to me every so often with my percentage of sales. It would also be awesome if I could eat all the burritos I eat without being fat. It would be awesome if the job I work at paid me more money or gave me Christmas bonuses or more paid vacation. Would be awesome if my rent was lower and I didn't have to pay electric or water. Realistically OMFG is successful, but is not raking in the money. There isn't a huge amount of people out there buying these figures. As UoM shows, his color of 200 haven't sold out yet for series 2. If anything the individual resellers were the ones poised to make the most money with minimal effort. Buy 200 sets at one price, sell them for more. Done. Are they not profiting off my hard, brutal, bloody, sweaty, tiring sculpting work too? is anyone upset they are not sharing that profit with me? I have cried myself to sleep many a nights knowing I will never see money from the sales of the 20 or so different colors. My life has been been forever ruined by this...no wait, it has not. Some guys making money of something I would never do does not hurt me. I would never spend 1000 on some toys and deal with packaging and shipping to make some profit. Heck I am ridiculously lazy to sell my pink figures and it would be alllll profit for me.

Now I do think things would be much different if there was high profit being made. A good example would be all those tabletop games that make millions. Rivet wars for example. The original goal price was probably to get the game made and cover costs, not much in anyones pocket. Making over 500k I bet that puts a nice amount of profit in some peoples pockets. I also would bet more into CoolMiniOrNot's pocket and not Ted's. Why? Because some of the money made is probably from the reputation and history of quality products CollMiniOrNot has been making before an unknown artist with some toy designs showed up. Same thing with OMFG. Without George being involved and his reputation/web show/toy world connections and experience OMFG wouldn't have been as successful.

#12 McCTXToys

McCTXToys

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:32 PM

May be one of those that I buy a few of each color. Wonder if black will be a Kickstarter exclusive though...

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com