16 replies to this topic

#1 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:19 AM

I was looking at a picture of a Boglins character and something about the pic struck me as odd. I couldnt shake the lingering thought in the back of my mind that there was something wrong with the image. It finally hit me that the Boglin i had as a kid had a shorter tongue. I looked at the pic quite a few times to make sure it was the same one (based upon memory) and im 99% sure it was.

So...did Boglins have "variants"? Is this line known for many variants?
Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#2 Aikola

Aikola

Main Offender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 02:34 PM

The only variant that exist were the kelloggs premiums which kinda resembled some older sculpts but apart from that its a no, maybe your toy was broken i had a broken samurai sword figure when i was a kid so its a possibility
Aikola: Collecting figures that no-one else cares about since 2007.
"Punk Rock: A loud, fast and deliberately offensive style of rock music"

My Trade List
My Little Army
Aikola's Mini Boglin Colour Archive

#3 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:47 PM

Thanks for the reply Aikola :mcmadd: Man ...this is going to bother me as i generally have a good memory and i dont recall that Boglin having a torn / broken tongue so maybe this pic is showing the face in an exaggerated expression (but it doesnt look that way and no matter how you manipulate your hand you cant cause the tongue to grow). You have to manipulate your hand in such a way that it should be obvious if you were making the face show an expression and this one doesnt look like thats happened.

Attached File  mb80.gif   31.44K   5 downloads

The last thing i need is another toy mystery...

Edit: Looks like there are 2 different versions of the same boglin . I stumbled upon someone selling the 1 i recall. Now to find out if its name is Schlurp or something else .

Edited by Articulationnut, 23 January 2008 - 06:10 PM.

Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#4 8bithorror

8bithorror

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:59 PM

His name is splat, hes a medium sized Boglin, and he was released after all the originals....his face is a bit weird..all the boglins in that set had their tounges sticking out..have a look at this man...

http://www.toydreams...glinsboxed.html

8bit.

#5 nanoFatato

nanoFatato

Chi sono? Da dove vengo?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:02 AM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

weird indeed, I own these boglins (italian version) and they all have a shorter tongue

Edited by nanoFatato, 24 January 2008 - 04:03 AM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#6 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:56 AM

Thanks for the input folks ;-)

Nano...thats my situation aswell so im glad to hear im not alone. It looks like i have "Splat" (who i thought was Shlurp) but it has a much shorter tongue than the one pictured. As mentioned before his tongue is in his mouth .

I wonder if there was a difference between the Seven Towns , Ideal and Mattel Boglins ? I thought they were the same molds reissued under different companies.

#7 galthisan

galthisan

boglin farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:37 AM

there small variants in mini boglins, for example cheifs like smog a late version (1994) will have the little crown on the tail to represent cheif, this is not present on the the earlier examples. the scouts, spys and messengers were introduced after the first series. when these were made with the little tail symbols the cheifs were given the crown.
proud member of:

A.T.Ni.M.S.

Abolish The Ninja Mites Section

#8 nanoFatato

nanoFatato

Chi sono? Da dove vengo?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:48 AM

up for this topic! :)

galthisan did you know which characters have been remolded with symbols?
I would say all the chiefs, scouts spies and messengers, so all these characters should exist engraved and not...

#9 galthisan

galthisan

boglin farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 03:52 AM

up for this topic! :)

galthisan did you know which characters have been remolded with symbols?
I would say all the chiefs, scouts spies and messengers, so all these characters should exist engraved and not...

not in all cases, for example in the discustings there are no versions with symbols as they were retired before the symbols were introduced, even the ones from the rare dudes series. medievals, samurai, preshistorics always have the realvent symbol. the replacement cheif for the tough guys always has the crown. i was gonna write a list of which come with and without symbols but havent got round to it. so has anyone seen a gold or silver cheif with a crown on the tail?

If anyone has Splash of the slime boglins i will give you £25 for it. and i will be ur best friend forever!
proud member of:

A.T.Ni.M.S.

#10 nanoFatato

nanoFatato

Chi sono? Da dove vengo?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:45 AM

ok, later I'll check through my collections for any character that should have a symbol and I'll write down a list here, hope this helps!

#11 galthisan

galthisan

boglin farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 09:37 AM

Attached File  Untitled.jpg   493.97K   32 downloads
proud member of:

A.T.Ni.M.S.

#12 galthisan

galthisan

boglin farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:38 AM

Sorry to double post,

i dint explain what the above is, its a list of which mini boglins are available with and without engravings.

i am planning on making a list of what mini boglins were available in each colour, i will sort do a rough list and then hopefully if anyone else likes mini boglins they can let me know which ones they have in colours i dont have to add to the list.

does anyone have a cheif bug with a crown? i wasnt sure if one was available.

actully does anyone care about this apart form me....?

Edited by galthisan, 15 April 2008 - 05:39 AM.

proud member of:

A.T.Ni.M.S.

#13 galthisan

galthisan

boglin farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 05:39 AM

Sorry to double post,

i dint explain what the above is, its a list of which mini boglins are available with and without engravings.

i am planning on making a list of what mini boglins were available in each colour, i will sort do a rough list and then hopefully if anyone else likes mini boglins they can let me know which ones they have in colours i dont have to add to the list.

does anyone have a cheif bug with a crown? i wasnt sure if one was available.
proud member of:

A.T.Ni.M.S.

#14 Aikola

Aikola

Main Offender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:12 AM

I have a list of mine ill let you have it for info and our trade
Aikola: Collecting figures that no-one else cares about since 2007.
"Punk Rock: A loud, fast and deliberately offensive style of rock music"

My Trade List
My Little Army
Aikola's Mini Boglin Colour Archive

#15 galthisan

galthisan

boglin farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:38 AM

I have a list of mine ill let you have it for info and our trade

great! thanks dude, i can post em out to u on sat ;)
proud member of:

A.T.Ni.M.S.

#16 Jamesmate

Jamesmate

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 03:19 AM

Hey all,

I know this thread is super old now but I just stumbled across it and thought I'd throw in a little knowledge I have of the line that may be of some use - if you're even going to read this haha.

There are Mattel, Ideal and Action GT variations of many of the boglins - although not every boglin has a variation.

Of the 'small' variety which are the ones you're talking about here they made them with normal size tongues, also long tongues, they made each in all different coloured rubber, and then there are the glow versions too.

Another variation on them is their names, each manufacturer that released them in Europe has their names mixed up for whatever reasons - or lack thereof, so what is Boink on a Mattel box is Doink on an Ideal box, what is Squit on a Mattel box is a Blap on an Ideal box etc.
The American versions are all completely different names, and the Canadian smalls have some new names as well as some re-used names from the large boglins.

You've likely seen the variations between the European, American and Canadian large ones, you've got Plunk, Flurp, and Dwork in Europe, Drool, Vlobb and Dwork in America, and then Doink, Squit and Bonk in Canada. Then on top of those you've got the 'Hairy' and 'Wiggly' tongue versions, they made a Hairy version of each European release, (Dwork, Flurp, Plunk) and 2 versions of Wiggly Tongue of Plunk.

They also made a Hairy version and a Wiggly Tongue version of one called Wort.

That's just a little bit of what makes boglins more complicated than you ever thought, let me know if any of you end up reading this haha

#17 bizrebellion

bizrebellion

<< Minifig Lover >>

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1148 posts
  • Interests:BOGLINS in any shape or size,Minifig's, rockin' out on my guitars, my fiancee and my kids and bootsales (for the LRG's) x¬D

Posted 22 June 2015 - 02:37 AM

Hey all,
I know this thread is super old now but I just stumbled across it and thought I'd throw in a little knowledge I have of the line that may be of some use - if you're even going to read this haha.

There are Mattel, Ideal and Action GT variations of many of the boglins - although not every boglin has a variation.

Of the 'small' variety which are the ones you're talking about here they made them with normal size tongues, also long tongues, they made each in all different coloured rubber, and then there are the glow versions too.
Another variation on them is their names, each manufacturer that released them in Europe has their names mixed up for whatever reasons - or lack thereof, so what is Boink on a Mattel box is Doink on an Ideal box, what is Squit on a Mattel box is a Blap on an Ideal box etc.
The American versions are all completely different names, and the Canadian smalls have some new names as well as some re-used names from the large boglins.

You've likely seen the variations between the European, American and Canadian large ones, you've got Plunk, Flurp, and Dwork in Europe, Drool, Vlobb and Dwork in America, and then Doink, Squit and Bonk in Canada. Then on top of those you've got the 'Hairy' and 'Wiggly' tongue versions, they made a Hairy version of each European release, (Dwork, Flurp, Plunk) and 2 versions of Wiggly Tongue of Plunk.
They also made a Hairy version and a Wiggly Tongue version of one called Wort.

That's just a little bit of what makes boglins more complicated than you ever thought, let me know if any of you end up reading this haha

Yep, just read it, and it possibly helped me with a question I just put up, now for the research ;)

Posted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com