• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 08:29 PM

I've been hemming and hawing over whether or not to get the new Ninja Turtles figures. I have a set of the four original Turtles, but I wasn't sure if the new ones were good enough to buy another set of Turtles. I decided to get my favorite, Raph... and if I hated it, it would go to the Salvation Army along with my other toy rejects.

But, fortunately for Raph, I really like the figure. Let's go through the usual criteria...

LOOKS: 3.5 out of 5 The sculpt is nice, and a definite upgrade from the old figure (see pic below). Also, I like how the design is reminiscent of the original comic. However, not much in the way of detail or textures is happening with the figure, dropping the score a bit. I mean, the new He-man figures have so much detail that your eyes bleed when you try to look at it all... something more could have been done with the Turtles.

The paint on my figure is pretty well applied, but unfortunately, many of the Raphs in the store looked like they were painted by crack whores who hadn't had their fix, so that knocked the score down some more. But I do like the colors that are used. Each Turtle is a slightly different shade of green (like the old ones), adding some much-needed visual differentiation between the characters.

ARTICULATION: 3.5 out of 5 The articulation is basically the same as the old figure, but ball-in-socket joints at the shoulders are a definite improvement. The elbows swivel... but really aren't useful. Fortunately, the wrists swivel too, so that covers the forearm articulation of the old figure.

Hips are ball-in-socket and the head swivels. Everything's covered... but maybe some ankle articulation would be cool. Also, the figure has plenty of articulation, but his movement is limited by the shell.

ACCESSORIES: 4 out of 5 Remember the old accessories? There was a crapload of them, and they came connected on a rack, so they were all the same poop-brown color. Also, not only were most of them pointless, they were all super-flimsy. My poor vintage Raph is missing a sai since I accidentally broke it trying to pry it from his cold, dead hand (ala Chuck Heston) a few years ago. After that, I felt like my eyes were turning green and I was going to turn into Lou Ferrigno...

Anyway, the new Raph's sais are stronger, painted decently, and are easier to get into and from his hands. The ninja stars are cheesy, but Raph also comes with a pully-line rider! Fun fun!

COOLNESS: 4 out of 5 With nifty, fun accessories and good articulation, this is definitely a fun figure. I love the attention the sculptors paid to the original comic designs. None of that Toon Turtles crap here!

OVERALL: 3.75 out of 5 This is a cool figure, and definitely worthy of being in my collection. Raph's reminiscent of the old figure, but he's a definite improvement. I can't wait to get a full set and display them next to my old Turtles!

-Nathan

Attached Files

#2 Rokk

Rokk

Alton Brown's Evil Twin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3604 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 09:55 PM

Good review. I have been having an internal debate over if I should pick up these new Turtle figures or not. With your positive review, I think I'll go and check them out. I am glad that they were more faithful to the comic Turtles instead of the toon Turtles. Also, the subtle color differences between the Turtles sounds like a great idea.

#3 arforbes

arforbes

I lied, I cheated, I got banned!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 10:25 PM

I think I need to pick these up, but I haven't seen them anywhere yet. Just the four Turtles...that will be perfect. :o

B)
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard
I was banned! Read ALL about it! http://www.littlerub...showtopic=23333

#1 on the LRG Dishonest Members list!

#4 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 07:10 AM

Just as a trivial side note, my Raph's head is distinctly different from that of the prototype Raph:

Prototype Raph

I just thought it was weird because all the pictures on the back of the card show the prototype, while the production figure has a different head. Also, according to this article at Figures.com there will be a different version of each of the Turtles in series 2, due out Summer 2003. Unfortunately, it doesn't show them, so I don't know if they're cooler than the current ones. I'm not sure if I should wait to buy a set with the new ones. I speculate they'll probably have some kind of action feature, so I'll probably get the current ones just in case.

Also in series 2 will be a Triceraton! Sweet! :cry:

-Nathan

#5 arforbes

arforbes

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 08:26 PM

I like the Raphael head that your figure has Nathan. It looks cooler than the prototype. Just something about it that appeals to me more than the first one. :(

B)
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard

#6 Leonardo

Leonardo

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 08:39 PM

hmm unfortunately for you, you picked the 2nd worse of the turtles, Leonardo is by far teh best sculpt, then donny, then mike. And just because leo is my favorite doesn't mean a thing to my opinion of the figures. It just turned out that way. Raph's holder is horrible, and bends the sais, mike's face is messed, leonardo just has teh best sculpt and stance.
My review would be 4/5 cuz of the legs, but i definately suggest you pick these figures up. These and MOTU!
Check out my cool transformers/ninja turtles site
www.wheeljack.com
Posted Image
www.theninjaturtles.com

#7 Leonardo

Leonardo

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 08:41 PM

BTW i heard that the tmnt wave 2 would be battle damaged, so best to pick up the current turtles
www.wheeljack.com
Posted Image
www.theninjaturtles.com

#8 Krangala

Krangala

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1518 posts

Posted 16 February 2003 - 09:39 PM

Thanks for the news Leo!

I bought a Leo as a gift for a friend, then bought Raph and Shredder for meself.....both are nice.....I really like Raph....

#9 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 10:44 AM

hmm unfortunately for you, you picked the 2nd worse of the turtles, Leonardo is by far teh best sculpt, then donny, then mike.

You're right... Leo is definitely the coolest looking Turtle. But my major complaint with him is that he has Raph's arms... they are pretty much straight out, so the elbow articulation is essentially useless.

I don't have Mike yet, but so far, I like Don's body the best (although not in a perverted way)... The legs are a bit more dynamic because one heel is off the ground, and the arms are bent at the elbows, giving the elbow joints a purpose.

Raph does have the coolest accessories, though. That rope line is too cool!

-Nathan

#10 Leonardo

Leonardo

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 03:18 PM

I love the suction cups, Leonardo is on my car with my spider-man with suction cups.

Anywho, yea also there are giong to be more crappy tmnt variants, extreme sports turtles, so pick up these so you don't have to get the future crapty versions.
www.wheeljack.com
Posted Image
www.theninjaturtles.com

#11 arforbes

arforbes

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 16 April 2003 - 07:34 AM

I finally saw these at Target for the first time yesterday. I stood there looking at them debating on whether or not I should get all four. I decided not to, but think I am regretting it because the figures look totally awesome. I love the new look and the weapons too. They are painted! :D

B)
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard

#12 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 10:44 AM

ACCESSORIES: 4 out of 5 Remember the old accessories? There was a crapload of them, and they came connected on a rack, so they were all the same poop-brown color. Also, not only were most of them pointless, they were all super-flimsy.

I have to say, I FREAKING HATE THAT NOW!!!! HATE HATE HATE!!!!! You had to twist them (sometimes breaking them) off that stupid plastic card, and there was a little sharp sliver of plastic where you pulled it off, and sometimes, you'd cut yoursefl on them... and what the $%^#% Was the triangle thing?? A Pizza Slice? A Bagel cutter?

Mikey's flimsy nunchucks took the cake... they looked like they were held together with toothpicks, only not sturdy.

That's the best thing about the new line... painted acccessories... not fused to a cheap plastic card... ohh man... I wish I could have gotten more.... I only have Don, can't find the rest...
Posted Image

#13 phillymadison

phillymadison

phillymadison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 08:11 PM

The old Ralph and new Ralph look really cool next to each other
The Only True Measure Of Success Of Any Hobby Is How Much You Enjoy Participating in it.
--------------------------------

View What M.U.S.C.L.E.'s I Have For Trade And Sale On muscledb.com CLICK HERE

#14 Sniper33

Sniper33

Local Assassin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2912 posts

Posted 28 April 2003 - 08:33 PM

I like these new figures, I got almost all of them. Im just missing Shreder and the Foot Soldier. Not that I cant find them, its just that Im never sure I want them at the time. But I think that I will get them, so that I can have the whole first set (just like the originals).

Posted Image

#15 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 07:41 AM

Well, I managed to get all four Turtles a while back, so I thought I would update with a brief review of the rest of them, starting with...

Michaelangelo

LOOKS: 3 out of 5 Not a bad sculpt. His face has a goofy expression, in character with the cartoon character. Again, more detail would be nice.

ARTICULATION: 2 out of 5 His arms move well, but the articulation in his legs is non-existant... even worse than Raph.

ACCESSORIES: 3.5 out of 5 Nice 'chucks, but the line runner he comes with is kind of boring.

COOLNESS: 3 out of 5 Nifty figure, but not too much interesting happening.

OVERALL: 2.8 out of 5 Mikey is a must if you're going for a set of Turtles, but overall, I'd say he's the weakest of the figures. Still, he's a definite improvement over the original figure.

#16 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 07:51 AM

Donatello

LOOKS: 3 out of 5 This figure has a nice stance and the skin color is less gaudy than Mike and Raph. His face sculpt is the least interesting, though.

ARTICULATION: 4 out of 5 Don's articulation is the best of the Turtles. His elbows are bent, which gives the elbow swivel joints a purpose.

ACCESSORIES: 4 out of 5 He doesn't come with any action accessories, but instead an axe and sword extension to his bo. Cool idea!

COOLNESS: 3 out of 5 The face sculpt is very important to a toy, and Don unfortunately falls a bit short.

OVERALL: 3.5 out of 5 Don has the strongest body of the Turtles and awesome accessories, but Playmates would have really hit a home-run with a different head.

#17 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 07:59 AM

Leonardo

LOOKS: 4.5 out of 5 By far the best face sculpt and skin color, Leo looks awesome! The lack of detail actually works well with this figure.

ARTICULATION: 3.5 out of 5 Leo has good deal of points of articulation, but suffers the same fate as Raph: limited leg articulation, and pointless elbow swivels degrade his rating.

ACCESSORIES: 4.5 out of 5 The swords look great! Also, Leo comes with some awesome suction cups!

COOLNESS: 4.5 out of 5 This figure really captures the coolness of TMNT!

OVERALL: 4.25 out of 5 Leonardo (the forum guy, not the Ninja Turtle) was right... this is overall the best Turtle from the line!

#18 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 08:11 AM

Conclusion

Overall, I think Playmates has done a good job with the Turtles so far. Sure, they could have been better... but they managed to update the figures while still keeping the style and charm of the old figures.

My main concern is that the toys don't really match the angular "Batman" style of the Turtles in the cartoon. If you compare the figures to the production drawings at NinjaTurtles.com, you'll notice that the figures are more curvilinear and the proportions are very different. But oh well... the figures are still fun and look cool!

And I'll leave this review with the photo below: an epic battle between the classics and the next generation! Enjoy!

-Nathan

Attached Files

#19 phillymadison

phillymadison

phillymadison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 12:55 PM

It may just be the angle but Leonardo looks pretty wack

like he swallowed some bad pizza or something

anyway awsome review nate

alot better the anything x-entertainment.com ever wrote

your review get 4.5 out of 5

(no full 5 only cause i think ya gave to many points to Leonardo lol)
The Only True Measure Of Success Of Any Hobby Is How Much You Enjoy Participating in it.

#20 phillymadison

phillymadison

phillymadison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 03 May 2003 - 12:58 PM

ok nevermind it was the angle

i just seen a front view pic of him looks pretty nice ^_^

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com