13 replies to this topic

#1 SpyMagician

SpyMagician

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:00 PM

(EDIT: I noticed that sometimes the images aren't showing up right, so here's a link the gallery:
http://picasaweb.goo...feat=directlink )

Okay,

So I've been a Gormiti nut for the last few months and finally got around to taking pics of the various custom articulated figures I've made.

Let's start will the fully articulated M.A.F. I made out of a US FE Steelback:

Posted Image

This one was a fair bit of work. I chose Steelback as he's my favorite Gormiti Character, and being molded in Black in the Final Evolution colors, that allowed me to use some Black Revoltech joints I had.

The joints are all either Revoltech or Hobby Base Double Ball Joints. I've used these extensively in my Gormiti customs and they work great for almost any PVC figure.

The Double ball allows a decent range of motion, while allowing you to hide the joint if you dremel out a decent socket for it. I don't actually use the plastic sockets for the double ball joints. Usually I just use the actual double ball (looks like a tiny dumbell) and dremel out sockets for them in the PVC pieces I want to attach. As long as you cut the parts carefully and smooth the areas where the joints meet, it make for a very nice firm seamless joint.

The Revoltech Joints are more visible, but if you can find a good color match they work really nice and are excellent firm, ratcheted joints. Just dremel a hole for the post and a shallow socket for the ball part of the joint and you're good to go. Usually a slightly smaller diameter hole than the Revoltech post is best as then you can heat the PVC and insert the post while soft, letting it conform to the post for a nice tight fit.

Here's a map of the articulation scheme on Steelback:

Posted Image

Basically it just involved a lot of careful cutting and dremel work. He breaks down into the following parts: Head, Torso, stomach/waist, upper arms, lower arms, thighs, lower legs.

Previous to making this complete M.A.F., I'd done a lot of partially articulated Gormiti.

Initially I was pleased with just shoulder articulation, a la Battle Beasts. To me 2 points at the shoulder is the minimum for making a small LRG type figure into a fun "action figure." Plus the double ball joints make for ball joint shoulders rather than simple swivels, which is nice.

Posted Image

Some figures however, really benefit from an additional point of articulation, so I have these done with 3 points, usually adding a neck or single elbow:

Posted Image

Next we have Rocciatauro (Bullrock), who due to having weapons really benefits from 4 points, in both shoulders and elbows. Using the double ball joints, the elbows don't get full range of motion, but rotate and have some lateral movement, which allows for decent poses while preserving the sculpt and sturdiness of the figure.

Posted Image

I did one 5 point figure of the Cartoon Series Steelback, adding a ball jointed neck to his shoulders and elbows, which works rather well for this figure:

Posted Image

Finally, I have some oddball figures, done using a mix of Revoltech joints and Double Ball Joints:

Posted Image

L'Antico Thorg was the most work, as he actually required 2 figures to get around the extreme pre-posing of the original (it's so off balance it actually has trouble standing). He ended up with Revoltech shoulders which allow full shoulder movement plus Double Ball Joint hips.

Stalactite, has a lot of poseability for a minimum of articulation points. Double Ball Joint shoulders and Hips plus Revoltech elbows make him pretty versatile.

Finally, The Severe Guardian has 3 Revoltech Joints, one in the neck, 2 in the shoulders. This one required adding a bit more black to the figure (kneecaps) to make the black shoulder joints look more natural. The nature of his wings make them look a bit odd detached from the torso, but it allows poses besides gliding, and the neck joint lets him look up, letting you get some decent flight poses.

Ultimately, the main issue I found with articulating small figures was function vs stability. I didn't want really delicate figures that would fall apart easily. But overall, the Double Ball Joints and Revoltech joints really did a good job of offering function while maintaining structural integrity... The clear Double Ball Joints were great too, as you could use them in the clear figures without them being too visible!

Spy

Edited by SpyMagician, 07 February 2009 - 07:04 PM.

#2 Guest_Warhed_*

Guest_Warhed_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:15 AM

In one word - AWESOME!

#3 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:05 PM

In two words: Freakin' awesome!

#4 Reccoom Kaboom

Reccoom Kaboom

I'm back! And I brought my back with me!

• Legends
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:Taking old toys and making them new again.
    Staying motivated artisticly, creatively.
    Keeping my XboX360 addiction under controll.
    Putting my surplus M.U.S.C.L.E.s in trades of other toylines.
    Talking like Tom Waits more often.
    Getting that Y/S N*T tattooed big n' bold accross my back.
    Having my dentist build me some new permanent fangs.

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:57 PM

All this time, I've been hand-making my balljoints. Where have those prebilt packs been???
Posted Image

#5 bronchuseven

bronchuseven

pentagonal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 04:51 PM

Very impressive! I love the US FE Steelback; he's probably my favourite sculpt of the ones currently available in the US. These look very fun to play with =D

Speaking of small articulated PVC figures, have you seen or owned any of the Glyos System guys? There's a great thread about them in the Other Toylines forum if you've not seen them yet.

#6 SpyMagician

SpyMagician

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 07:12 PM

All this time, I've been hand-making my balljoints. Where have those prebilt packs been???

LOL!

Yeah, there are all sorts out there but I found the best, most durable are the Yellow Submarine/Hobby Base one's in Grey or Clear:

http://www.hlj.com/product/YLS09302

http://www.hlj.com/product/YLSPPC-T05

As for Revoltech joints, I find it's cheaper to buy a figure and cannibalize joints than to try to order the joint sets alone (you can only get them in Japan on the Revoltech website).

The best bang for your buck on joints is this figure:

Revoltech Camus from Detroit Metal City: http://www.hlj.com/product/KYD01215

You get a whopping 23 joints in black and white. He usually retails for $20 - $25, so you are getting joints for about a buck each, not bad as Revoltech joints are ratcheted and far more stable and durable than any other hinged ball joint!

What puts him over the top are the 2 articulated snakes; each has 4 small Revoltech joints in them!

Specific colored joints can be found in other Revoltech figures, but usually fewer joints for your $ than the Camus figure.

THANKS EVERYONE for the kind words!

Spy

#7 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 07 February 2009 - 08:55 PM

i guess if one were desperate the joints that come with gundam models could be utilized as well. i may have to butcher my old models if i ever get the inspiration to articulate something.

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#8 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 08:12 PM

What puts him over the top are the 2 articulated snakes; each has 4 small Revoltech joints in them!

How small is small?

I commented regarding your figures in the contest thread already but , again, incredible dedication and nice work :glare:
Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#9 SpyMagician

SpyMagician

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 03:22 PM

How small is small?

I commented regarding your figures in the contest thread already but , again, incredible dedication and nice work :lol:

Thanks again for the compliments man!

The small Revoltech joints are about 18mm long when straightened and the ball portion has a diameter of 6mm.

You can see a full breakdown of joint types on this page:

http://www.assembleb...neup.html#joint

They're quite affordable if you were in Japan, but by the time you get them shipped here I think it's cheaper to cannibalize figures...

Spy

#10 musclemenkids

musclemenkids

Stompin' on your face!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:51 PM

Holy Multiplops!!!

How come i have never noticed this thread before??

These are excellent Spy, really truly awseome man!
"FRUIT OOZE IS WETLY LEWD SO
STAY DRY IN RUBBER BOOTS AND.."

#11 SpyMagician

SpyMagician

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:33 PM

Holy Multiplops!!!

How come i have never noticed this thread before??

These are excellent Spy, really truly awseome man!

LOL! Thanks man!

I've got some new ones too! Pics soon!

Spy

#12 Donkeykid77

Donkeykid77

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts!

Posted 20 August 2009 - 02:21 PM

Okay,

So I've been a Gormiti nut for the last few months and finally got around to taking pics of the various custom articulated figures I've made.

Let's start will the fully articulated M.A.F. I made out of a US FE Steelback:

Posted Image

:) How come the relaunch BBs look nowhere near as good as this? :lol:

Great work SpyMagician, maybe you should have been working for DST (Diamond Select Toys) instead...

B) Greetz, DK.

Edited by Donkeykid77, 20 August 2009 - 02:22 PM.

Integre navigo, sic itur ad astra.

#13 hawkze_2.3

hawkze_2.3

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:05 PM

Wow, that makes them 10x better, nice work! I would start collecting Gormiti right now if they came like that :spiteful:

#14 loyalpet

loyalpet

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:33 PM

this is some of the greatest stuff I've seen involving little rubber guys. congrats on this amazing creation!

I've got one question for you......
any way i could pay for you to articulate a Gormiti guy of mine?

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com