31 replies to this topic

#26 Grencats

Grencats

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:25 PM

It has been frustrating for me in Canada to buy Laser Beasts lately because our dollar has plummeted in the last couple years. So they are the most expensive ever. I paid top dollar for most of my figures and now the price is down on all of them so everyone can pick them up for cheap except me...  Back to the topic of the repros. The original Laser Beast shields were made out of that vintage gold plastic which shatters so easily, part of why they are  so scarce. So if your shield breaks on you it was probably original. You get to know this gold plastic quite well because of its tone and marble like swirls to the finish. It becomes easy to spot fakes.

#27 Spiritcrusher

Spiritcrusher

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:45 PM

That's good to know. I see a lot of repro shields on ebay. But usually they are advertised as repro so people know what they are buying at least.

#28 warweasel64

warweasel64

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:53 PM

This is my first time posting anything on the site. I am a newer member. I have been reading a lot about fakes and KO's on the forum lately. In my opinion I think reproductions are not a totally bad thing. I agree that they should be clearly marked. But they are also a cheaper alternative to some of the more expensive items. What worries me is that someone selling a reproduction as a reproduction is fine, and they are doing it honestly. But what happens when the second owner sells them as real, and after changing hands multiple times they are lost in with the rest of them. I am not confident enough to tell a real from a fake. Especially with the Greek, Mexico, etc. battle beast. I have held back buying any of them for that exact reason. Thanks for listening.

#29 Spiritcrusher

Spiritcrusher

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 04:43 PM

Unfortunately, there will always be a dishonest person out there, selling fake merchandise as real or original. There's no way around it. I just always make sure I check feedback or get opinions from others, before I make a purchase. 

#30 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 06 May 2016 - 12:53 PM

As figures go, I'm not sure you have to worry. A painted custom will always look like a custom, plus the feet will likely always have pour marks.

Even the actual chest piece will be hard to fake and pass as original. Originals are hollow with a sticker, any Customs I've seen or done are solid without stickers.

Shields and guns are another thing since there are Chinese fakes of those.

#31 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 31 July 2016 - 09:08 AM

8R02cxc.gif

I do judge them when they buy the repro´s without giving a f#ck whether or not there´s a mark on them because in this topic it is now more than clear that a simple marking can help a lot of collectors to prevent them from getting burned.

Let's not confuse collector's paranoia with a realistic need for vigilance. For new members reading this thread, it would be very easy to come away with the impression that this is actually a problem. Yet, in four/five years of you soap-boxing about this in comically verbose posts there still has not been a single recorded case of it happening with weapons, shields, or figures. 

As Nilla mentioned, if someone ever did end up getting burned this way they probably had it coming because the differences would be obvious even to an untrained eye. If someone were able to produce a reproduction figure that was as high quality as the originals so as to make it difficult to tell, in my mind it'd be worth as much if not more than an original when you consider workshop production costs and the craftsmanship required to pull that off.

I don't think I have to make the argument that many of the guys connected to the BB community are accomplished casters, and while the LB recasts I have from Nilla and a few others are great for reproductions, they don't hold a flame to the hand-feel of an original, set aside the lack of painting, etc.

OP, I suppose I'm just suggesting that if you spend a bunch of time trying to decipher if a BB or LB figure is fake, or if you ask all sellers if they are selling originals or not, you'll essentially be wasting your time, the seller's time, and generally making yourself look uninformed in the process. I'll even go so far as to say if you do somehow end up buying a reproduction item without realizing it, you can drop me a PM with details and I'll reimburse you myself.

Edited by bachamn, 31 July 2016 - 09:22 AM.

#32 GreenMountainBeastformers

GreenMountainBeastformers

Beastmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 10:03 AM

I would just like to add that none of my reproduction Battle Beasts, or Laser Beasts are cast the same way, or painted the same way as the originals.  Also I tend to stay away from the colors the originals were made in, except for replacement arms for my Beasts or when it's the natural color of the animal, like a black Gorilla I made recently.  Even then, it is glossier, and doesn't have the imprint or hole in the bottom of the foot like originals do.  However, I am now casting LB orbs, and aside from the symbol/back plate, or removing the orb to see where it was cut from the sprue, they look just like the originals. :)

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com