143 replies to this topic

#1 Nik

Nik

Monster Antiquarian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:09 PM

Hey everyone, I'm not really big into forums, facebook etc. I came across this forum while searching for monster in my pocket info when I came across the post about the figure with a star someone had posted. I have had a figure with a star since I was a kid, it came in a box of 12 monsters I received for a birthday gift. The monster is a purple troll and I remember it was the 2nd color assortment  the toy stores had before they stopped carrying them. This was the only toys I have had from the series until adulthood. I have recently began to collect all the toys I wanted to collect as a child and just started adding to my monster in my pocket toys this year. I didn't know there was anything past series one until I found figure guides online with all the colors variants. I have been adding to this collection slowly trying to collect one of each model in what I deem to be the best color available. Wikipedia, monster wiki and the monster collecting site have nothing about figures marked with a star otherwise I would have said something earlier this year, but apparently these are rarer than I thought. Well here are some pics, I can assure you these figures do exist and I am sure there are more out there. On a side note I am not interested in selling the figure at this time, I am posting it to verify it's existence.  

Attached File  photo (33).JPG   84.89K   447 downloadsAttached File  photo (35).JPG   79.33K   355 downloads

#2 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts
  • Interests:Collecting MIMP and playing Fantasy Baseball.

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

WOW! I have never seen a star monster! Can I share the picture of this? I really didn't believe it existed

My MIMP Resource site: http://mimpcollective.weebly.com

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#3 thenerdieststore

thenerdieststore

Mimp total =

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
  • Interests:Monster in my pocket

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:19 PM

You have made my day completely! I believe we just havent been buying enough neon purple trolls lol now I know what I am army building! At least we now have a color goal!

Edited by thenerdieststore, 28 July 2014 - 06:20 PM.

"THOSE WHO LAY THEIR EYES ON A GUNDAM, SHALL NOT LIVE TO TELL ABOUT IT. Those was the orders I was given."

101_5358_zps74e6dfc3.jpg

#4 Nik

Nik

Monster Antiquarian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:13 PM

Yes, feel free to share, I posted it to share to help add to the wealth of info about these figures. I am amazed to see how many models and colors exist that I would have had no idea about outside of what gets listed on ebay now and then. 

#5 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

If you want to talk MIMP just message me. I love to share my knowledge on the subject and to gain the knowledge of others. And thanks for the pictures. 

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#6 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

More pictures!!!!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

Really exciting to see! Nik, which country were you in when you got this as a kid?

14460229430_bb17eb3c18_n.jpg

#8 80schild

80schild

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Interests:MIMP
    OMFG
    RC-CARS

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:19 PM

That is wicked, What do you think this would fetch on ebay.... thousands?

#9 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

This and that - mostly that!

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:35 PM

Just woke up and was like WTF!! Can't believe this seems to be a legit star monster! Presumed it never really existed. Perfect timing as well as I go in holiday for two weeks later today and would've probably missed all the excitement of it would've been posted tomorrow!

As stated above, let us know where you lived as a kid and any other info you can remember. Plus some more pics would be cool :thumbsup:

#10 80schild

80schild

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts
    OMFG
    RC-CARS

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:08 AM

I always expected it to be without a number.

#11 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:36 AM

Me too actually. We've only had that image to go by up until now.

#12 trumanshower

trumanshower

Eternal Truman of the spotless mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1384 posts
  • Interests:dragonautes, monster in my pocket, fistful of power, motu, cosmix, luxioles etc etc...

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:38 AM

so star monster is no more an urban legend !!

Are you from south Africa ?

French collector of Battle Beasts, Monster in my pocket and a bunch of other toys !!
FoP facebook page : https://www.facebook.../fistfulofpower

Boogaz facebook group : https://www.facebook...810983082984202

#13 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:28 AM

I'm not a MIMP expert, but I know enough to think this is a pretty cool find.

But 80's post kicked my always high skepticism into overdrive. If someone was going to try an fake a Star Monster, then wouldn't melting a star around the number be the easiest way (not suggesting the process itself would be super easy). I'm not saying this is what the guy did, but having someone else try to see if it's possible might be a nice little experiment.

#14 Nik

Nik

Monster Antiquarian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:28 AM

Attached File  photo (38).JPG   62.12K   134 downloadsAttached File  photo (39).JPG   59.61K   190 downloadsAttached File  photo (37).JPG   82.59K   189 downloadsHey guys,      Here are a few pics in natural light. I am from the USA and the birthday party I received this was in Delanco NJ at Holiday Skating Rink. The store it was bought from must have been close to there because  it was a gift from one of my classmates. It's lucky that it survived intact, I remember opening up all the action figures so we could play with them and then just throwing them all with their accessories into a bag to bring home. Like I said I wasn't able to collect this series and this figure along with the rest sat at the bottom of a toy bin under my bed. You can see more clearly from these pictures that the star is raised, but it is also tilted slightly.

#15 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:37 AM

Do you happen to recall which 25 point monster was on the front of the 12-pack, inside the little window? There's a guide to pack contents which suggests it should've been a specific one.

#16 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:40 AM

Also, thought I'd pull up some old info on the star monster:

http://www.raumhafen...1Secret Monster

Attached File  image.jpg   85.42K   126 downloads

#17 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:55 AM

I'm not a MIMP expert, but I know enough to think this is a pretty cool find.

But 80's post kicked my always high skepticism into overdrive. If someone was going to try an fake a Star Monster, then wouldn't melting a star around the number be the easiest way (not suggesting the process itself would be super easy). I'm not saying this is what the guy did, but having someone else try to see if it's possible might be a nice little experiment.

The thought crossed my mind as well, but it does seem that it would have been the easiest thing to do in the factory to make a star over a regular figure with a point value rather than producing a different figure with a star only.

Nik, thank you for the additional details on location, etc.

#18 thenerdieststore

thenerdieststore

Mimp total =

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
  • Interests:Monster in my pocket

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:49 AM

I am excited :) now the hunt gets extremely interesting with us knowing the color and all

"THOSE WHO LAY THEIR EYES ON A GUNDAM, SHALL NOT LIVE TO TELL ABOUT IT. Those was the orders I was given."

101_5358_zps74e6dfc3.jpg

#19 Nik

Nik

Monster Antiquarian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:50 AM

I don't remember the 25 point monster, but I know for sure it had the vampire and mummy. I remember as a kid I thought they were like "main characters". I didn't get the point system I thought each one was supposed to be numbered differently and didn't notice some had the same number on them until I was a little older. I must have missed the offer to send the star figure back because we tossed the packaging, but I would have kept it anyway if I'd have known. It reminds me of the mario fruit snacks when I was a kid. They had a promotion that every so many boxes had a blue princess you could send back for a t shirt if you found one. I happened to get one in a pouch and meant to give it to my mom, but I thought that it must be blueberry flavored and ended up eating it. 

#20 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:53 AM

I am excited :) now the hunt gets extremely interesting with us knowing the color and all

is there any reason to believe that this was the only color that came with a star? I mean for sure it's a reasonable conclusion to draw since this is the only one we've ever seen, but it seems possible that they could have also come in the other colors. 

That promo was on the back of the first wave of Series 1 figures too wasn't it? I seem to remember reading that little packaging snippet that burty just posted back when I was a kid and I only ever had figs in the S1 original colors .

Edited by bachamn, 29 July 2014 - 05:56 AM.

#21 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:02 AM

is there any reason to believe that this was the only color that came with a star? I mean for sure it's a reasonable conclusion to draw since this is the only one we've ever seen, but it seems possible that they could have also come in the other colors. 

That promo was on the back of the first wave of Series 1 figures too wasn't it? I seem to remember reading that little packaging snippet that burty just posted back when I was a kid and I only ever had figs in the S1 original colors .

That's what I was thinking, too. Yes, the offer was on the regular color packaging as well, so I'd imagine there's non-neon figures out there with the star on them, too. I think it's a good idea to check the backs of all Jotun Trolls from now on, not just neon purple ones. :)

#22 bigazzhead

bigazzhead

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Interests:Mini Figure interests:
    Monster in my Pocket
    Megaman/Rockman
    Dragon Ball
    Dragon Quest
    Old Nintendo
    Gegege no Kitaro
    general monster keshi
    Ghostbusters
    Zombie related stuff
    and anything cool. (yeah I know pretty vague)

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:21 AM

Wowzers. It's not at all how I imagined the star. I always figured it would be  a star shape instead of just stamped in, it looks like. Or I suppose they could have made different mold back and it's not a stamp.

Out of curiosity, what's the letter on the bottom of the foot?

#23 theassassin

theassassin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:09 AM

If authentic then this is really cool to see and great to finally see some kind of proof that the star monster was produced. While the original US/UK boxes showed the silhoette of an unknown monster, the African leaflet did indeed show a Jotun Troll.

I am skeptical of it's authenticity though, as I would guess that imprinting a star on the back of a monster like this might be fairly easy to do with a heated wire tool and some buffing/polishing. That certainly doesn't rule out it being done in a similar way by the factory though.

No offense Nik but we have no way of knowing whether you are telling the truth or not, so it makes sense for us collectors to scrutinize your claim as best we can in order to independently assess the authenticity of the piece.

At first I was suspicious because I distinctly remember the UK/US boxes saying it would have a star INSTEAD of a point value (i.e. not both). However the African leaflet picture shows a monster with a star and point value, so that somewhat invalidates that suspicion. Another thing I notice is the star and circle shapes are differently positioned on the African leaflet picture to how they are positioned on yours. Again though, the picture is not a photo so it doesn't mean the actual figure was marked identically.

Would it be possible to get some clear close up photos of the star, perhaps from several angles (i.e. not just straight on, from the side perhaps), ideally taken outside in daylight?

#24 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:28 AM

Let's be realistic, there will always be some skepticism regarding this troll. The guy could take pictures from every conceivable angle and there would still be those who don't believe. And that is fine, I would love as many pictures as possible too.

But I believe him because it matches the checklist, looks real and because he didn't post it for sale. 

There is a dark part of me that wants to make a custom Star Jotun Troll now though... :)

#25 SubwayRats

SubwayRats

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 07:46 AM

Not a Mimp guy but this discovery is amazing. Anytime something like this is found is great for the minifigure collective as a whole. On that note, I am curious enough to look at Mimp's backsides when I hit up the toy show flea markets now

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com