Theme© by Fisana

- - - - -

Super Rare Figures (SC, SHA, BHS, DM, DE)

• Please log in to reply
385 replies to this topic

#351 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:05 AM

I'm sorry...none of that registered in my brain...Can someone help me understand what was said? :lol:

Here's how I interpreted it:

First Section:

The Super Rare MUSCLEs are the result of a factory worker in Japan, back in 1986, sneaking into the factory after hours to covertly run the molding press and produce, in MUSCLE plastic, those sculpts that had been left out of the MUSCLE toy line with the intention of later selling them for big money on the underground toy market. He further concludes that this scheme must have failed.

Second Section:

I believe this was a description of either (1) how he believes Yudetamago went about creating characters for the comic, (2) how Mattel went about deciding which sculpts to include and which to exclude, or (3) how the sneaky factory worker decided which figures to produce to sell on the black toy market.

Either way, the post serves as a fascinating psychological sneak peek at the private logic of Mr. Sullivan. :unknw:
Posted Image

#352 DaHumorist

DaHumorist

ig: @itsgregstoys

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 08:52 AM

Either way, the post serves as a fascinating psychological sneak peek at the private logic of Mr. Sullivan. :lol:

Is that your name? Soupie Sullivan? Dude, awesome... haha

#353 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 09:26 AM

Is that your name? Soupie Sullivan? Dude, awesome... haha

No, but I imagine most here probably wouldn't make a distinction between my ramblings and on this topic and Mr. Sullivan's.

:unknw:

I know I get pretty carried away myself at times.

:lol:
Posted Image

#354 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 15 February 2008 - 11:38 AM

Ah! That' makes sense Thanks Soupie! Sorry if I insulted anyone on that. Sometimes I have a hard time getting stuff out of long paragraphs. Maybe I'm getting to be dislexick....Is that what is is? Did I spell it right? Cause my Spelling check didn't catch it. :D

That Aquarion series looks pretty cool. :)

Posted Image

#355 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 02:29 PM

Not sure if any of you are paying any attention to what is going on with the Gormiti line here in the US, but Upper Deck is test marketing them in San Diego right now. And that is on top of Playmates Toys (Ninja Turtles) test marketing them in Arizona too.
2 Distributors, 2 test markets, 2 different packaging models.

Gives credence to the theory that the Super Rares would have been from a North Eastern test market.

#356 Vilya

Vilya

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:27 PM

Hi I just logged in after so many years to see whats goin on, I kinda regret selling all my Muscle figures so I've bought back a few lol. Anyways I just wanted to add that indeed I had a BHS in 1987, I distinctly remember trading with other kids and never trading him because he was unique to me like the triangular version of sunshine at the time as well. Not only do I remember this but I had him out and loose all during the nineties not knowing how valuable he was. I'd spin the hole attached to his side sometimes and it was TOUGH cause it never broke for quite a while and then I wanted to see if the peg fit in him and it barely did. I must have lost him just before during my move from CT to VA, I lived in Southeastern CT and had to purchase him at a Bradlees Caldors or Toys R Us.

#357 Jamesullivan

Jamesullivan

M.U.S.C.L.E. Champion 123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Self personal training, sports, RPGs, dogs, and lots of hot tea(black plain with no milk or sugar..though someimes I use a cinnamin or rock candy stick).

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:41 PM

I would just like to add 3 points that should be considered.... for the record.

1-Satan Cross will only become a super rare again if he comes with legs.
2-Spinning Head Ashurman may lose his Super Rare status that will only be reattained if he comes with a head attached.
3-Black Hole Sunshine may lose his staus as a Super- Rare, however the likelyhood and unfortanately circumstances will lead the peg attached figure to recapture his staus.*

*In all truth (if all the plugs do get broken) he may become more rare than all the other current Super Rares if noone can find a figure with an attached peg, since we now know for certain the plug is attached!

P.S. My figure is still behind a sealed glass wall, where the plug remains attached!
Fight for M.U.S.C.L.E.
On second thought, just watch.... M.U.S.C.L.E. Wrestling Videos

#358 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 11 April 2009 - 01:59 PM

This is really just a question of condition. Nobody will pay full price for a damaged muscle, unless they don't know any better. Nobody will pay full price for a damaged Super Rare, or a Super Rare missing a detachable piece. So as I said, this is just a question of condition or completeness.....But I guess you could say it would be a rare occasion to have a complete or attached figure or what have you. But The figure in general would not be anymore rare.

The only one of these really that would be significant would be a SHA with his head still attached to the figure. As I don't believe we have seen one yet. It's value would be exceptional compared to one with a head unattached.

And BHS seems to be hit and miss with the peg still attached.....although I think most were missing the peg, and I can't remember if there has been one found with a loose peg. Can anyone confirm that? :(

personally I'd rather find these figures with their parts loose, so I could play with them. B)

Posted Image

#359 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts
  • Interests:Muscle men, and Kinnikuman

Posted 11 April 2009 - 04:45 PM

I wonder how much a loose peg or loose head would go for, but with no body.

#360 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:23 PM

Probably a couple hundred, as I know there are a good many people who need them. I'd say $200-300 tops. Given the high bids we have seen before.

Posted Image

#361 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 06:53 PM

I would love to see a peg on Ebay. "Super rare nub that goes in a super rare chest" lol people would see it and think wtf?!?!?! are people crazy biddint $200 on a small cylindrical nub?

#362 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:38 PM

One would think that the difficulty in authenticating a tiny plastic nub via a photo might keep the price down though. I mean, how would you ever know unless you had it in hand? And even then, seems like it'd be a lot easier to forge accurately than a full figure.
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#363 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:53 PM

lol yeah, you could just cut a leg off and call it the missing nub and sell for $200 :)

#364 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:56 PM

I'd agree, but i can already hear Johnny reaching for the Banhammer. :)
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#365 msugarpants

msugarpants

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:17 PM

This is really just a question of condition. Nobody will pay full price for a damaged muscle, unless they don't know any better. Nobody will pay full price for a damaged Super Rare, or a Super Rare missing a detachable piece. So as I said, this is just a question of condition or completeness.....But I guess you could say it would be a rare occasion to have a complete or attached figure or what have you. But The figure in general would not be anymore rare.

The only one of these really that would be significant would be a SHA with his head still attached to the figure. As I don't believe we have seen one yet. It's value would be exceptional compared to one with a head unattached.

And BHS seems to be hit and miss with the peg still attached.....although I think most were missing the peg, and I can't remember if there has been one found with a loose peg. Can anyone confirm that? :)

personally I'd rather find these figures with their parts loose, so I could play with them. :)

I have been out of the loop here for a while since selling BHS to Alex.....(a quiet and private sale..as he went under an alias for some reason), but it DID have the peg with it unattached. The entire story of that is somewhere on the super rare forum here. So, i can confirm there has been at least mine found with the peg, though unattached.

#366 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 09:45 PM

Oh yeah, I remember that! I couldn't remember the condition though.

Here it is. :) http://www.littlerub...mp;#entry184499

Posted Image

#367 msugarpants

msugarpants

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 06:38 AM

Oh yeah, I remember that! I couldn't remember the condition though.

Here it is. :) http://www.littlerub...mp;#entry184499

thanks for finding that! I felt so terrible, for a moment, being forgotten like that. :)

#368 Jamesullivan

Jamesullivan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Interests:Self personal training, sports, RPGs, dogs, and lots of hot tea(black plain with no milk or sugar..though someimes I use a cinnamin or rock candy stick).

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:41 PM

Do you(JKaris) have a specific date on the pretzel Super Rare found that was listed? ;)
Fight for M.U.S.C.L.E.

#369 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:00 PM

Do you(JKaris) have a specific date on the pretzel Super Rare found that was listed? ;)

Nope. There is a thread about it somewhere on the board though.

#370 Jamesullivan

Jamesullivan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:17 PM

Nope. There is a thread about it somewhere on the board though.

Is there a thread other than the one in Frequently Asked ?s?
Fight for M.U.S.C.L.E.

#371 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:32 PM

Is there a thread other than the one in Frequently Asked ?s?

http://www.littlerub...d...c=27379&hl=
Posted Image

#372 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:16 AM

My post here got me thinking, is there a need for greater distinction between SR figures?

I think everyone would agree that SC is no longer a SR.

Some might agree that BHS and SHA fall off that list too.

And based on the Dr. Bombay count that Jamesullivan told me of 6 figures(I don't know where he got the number) - I would consider him off the "Super Rare" list.

I know that it's shades of gray, but it seems like it might be a bigger deal when we consider the origin of these figures. Alex's Board Game Tree doesn't prove or, in my opinion, lend any credence to the idea that all 400+ were targeted to be made. In fact, I think the 28-Pack Poster Offer proves that wasn't the plan. Those figures aren't SR's, they're samples/prototypes (that term could admittedly be argued). I think that is a world of difference!

Maybe there isn't much to discuss, but I think simply calling any figure we haven't seen before a SR is painting with far too broad of a brush.

#373 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:55 PM

Well, Super Rare sort of was a first impression of things at the time. I think what bugs some is the SUPER part. The fact remains that RARE is, in my opinion, of high relevance to any of these figures, except SC. He isn't rare, I don't know why people havn't realized that yet. It's not even really worth discussing him anymore until something special is found. I mean Alex has found a sealed case of 4 packs with numerous SC figures, as well as his recent 10 pack SC figure...though I'm skeptical of it's genuinuity...as well as anything he posts on his site anymore.

But the other SR figures are in Fact Super Rare. When considering rarity, you have to keep in mind the general production mass of figures in a series in general. Thousands and thousands of one Muscle figure could be made and has surely been found by now, where as less than 10 of these other figures throughout the collector community has been found. That's rare enough to me. Even if there were 20 or 30 SHA or BHS known to exist...that's still pretty rare given the whole shebang.

Rare is a term usually used to describe the most difficult items to find for a given collectible series. So the last 17 vintage Star Wars figures are always considered Rare...even though they are pretty much common as dirt. They were not as mass produced as any previous Star Wars figures. The same can be applied to MOTU, TMNT, GI-Joe, Thundercats, etc.. Where usually the last produced figures in these vintage series are often sought after and considered rare, they are still quite common, and easily found.

To sum it up. If these figures are considered RARE. Would not these extremely less common, and possibly easily lost Muscle figures be even more Rare? If not the true definition thereof?

Posted Image

#374 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:27 PM

i agree that the "super rare" title is too broad. obviously, satans cross is not rare. not even in the slightest. any sane, intelligent & rational collector can tell you that. and spinning head ashuraman and black hole sunshine are popping up too often to be considered "super" anything other than "super over priced". the doctor bombay scenario needs more research. i think the possessors need to come forth so we can get a tally. i remember someone once remarked that they suspected arforbes had more than one of them. and i think a few people on here have one. well, like i said, more research into the actual number count must be made. as for the others which only have one known to exist i think are deserving of a title more befitting, "unique". a unique figure could be for the ones that have no copies. anything with 2-3 could be "super rare" and all others can take a hike with a big kick me sign on their backs that says: "i'm rare".

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#375 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:23 AM

But the other SR figures are in Fact Super Rare. When considering rarity, you have to keep in mind the general production mass of figures in a series in general. Thousands and thousands of one Muscle figure could be made and has surely been found by now, where as less than 10 of these other figures throughout the collector community has been found. That's rare enough to me. Even if there were 20 or 30 SHA or BHS known to exist...that's still pretty rare given the whole shebang.

Rare is a term usually used to describe the most difficult items to find for a given collectible series. So the last 17 vintage Star Wars figures are always considered Rare...even though they are pretty much common as dirt. They were not as mass produced as any previous Star Wars figures. The same can be applied to MOTU, TMNT, GI-Joe, Thundercats, etc.. Where usually the last produced figures in these vintage series are often sought after and considered rare, they are still quite common, and easily found.

To sum it up. If these figures are considered RARE. Would not these extremely less common, and possibly easily lost Muscle figures be even more Rare? If not the true definition thereof?

If we had 20 to 30 recorded of any of the "SR's", then we'd have Color figures that were even rarer. I think we always have to consider both the small world of collectors looking, and the even smaller world of owners that think these toys are worth listing on eBay. Just seeming rare, doesn't mean it is legitimately rare. People still can't get over SC, think how long it will take for them to get over BHS and SHA!

As for SW Last 17, those aren't rare. I don't think any collector would label them as rare. There aren't as many Stormtrooper Lukes as Farmboy Lukes, but neither is rare. You only get into true rarity with the Last 17 when you start talking about MOC figures, which can make your head spin.

But I think we're getting off the point, which I think you actually agree with – there are different tiers of rarity. SHA is rarer than a Flesh Claw, but not Super Rare. I just think we need to more accurate differentiate the non-poster figures.

I don't have perfect labels, but my thought is that they break into 3 groups:
1 – SC, Wrestling Ring
2 – SHA, BHS, Dr. Bonbe (anything with more than 1 example)
3 – Everything Else

I would even argue that once more than one turns up, it is out of group three. Even as an owner of a SR, I question its authenticity – and all the figures in Group 3 are open to that question.

This will sound insane, but here it goes: I don't know that a figure cast in MUSCLE plastic is automatically a MUSCLE figure.

There are numerous possibilities for a singular MUSCLE-like figure to appear, from far fetched to quite viable – but without more data, specifically tangible data, they all remain possibilities.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com