#1 rootstudio

rootstudio

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Interests:keshi, comics, vidja gayms

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:00 PM

Oh hey guys!  Like a lot of folks on these boards I've been inspired to take a stab a making my own mini-figs so I thought I'd share with you some of my stumbling first efforts at sculpting from about a year ago... (...this is also a challenge to myself to get off my butt and start making things again!)

The first thing I slapped together was KRAGGU! who's a character from a jam comic I made with a friend of mine a long time ago...

lAeHwRO.png

I made him out of "standard" Sculpey which I quickly learned was not the best choice seeing as how it was too soft and a bit like trying to make something out of warm Velveeta.  Once I got my beginner's kit from the good folks at Brick in the Yard molding & casting I was ready to go!  Despite there being some air bubble issues (look at that right hand!) he turned out not too shabby!

I planned on getting ahold of some Super Sculpey.  Now I didn't want to just throw away the bit of regular Sculpey I had left so I used it up slapping together a little figure that had the head of a dollar-store GI Joe I had lying around... FUTURE DUDE JAKE!

QxY4bAo.jpg

My intent was for his body to look kinda Microman-ish...  Oh well...  The head casted great tho'!

So yeah, I got myself some Super Sculpey and I was going to take a stab at making something vaguely keshi-sized/styled.  I built a super-simple frame for the head and legs out of very thin sculpting wire and got started on creating the first iteration of GUTSTOMPER!

nMg95nl.jpg

Now on the plus-side of things I managed to get the proportions right and nailed some tricky things I was really worried about like the eyes, nose, and ears.  On the down-side...  The size of the figure got away from me, his feet were awful, the pose is terrible (he can't stand at all), when I built up his face he ended up looking like Homer Simpson, I didn't build up his back which was practically concave, and I don't have a picture but the hair I tried to make for him ended up looking like some kind of horrible Elvis-Trump hybrid.  Oof.

Soooooo...  That brings us to GUTSTOMPER v2.0!  IE: where my avatar image comes from...

hhSVIXm.png

The lessons I learned from making the previous guy helped make this one a lot better!  As you can see it's keshi-sized (and the fact that the Super Sculpey makes it keshi-colored is an unintentional bonus!) and I'm proud of a lot of the little touches (the belt buckle, the skull shoulder-pad, the ties on the back of his armor, and I got the hair right!)  Of course there's still a TON of room for improvement...  The character design is weak in places and needs fleshing out, I'm not happy with the boots, and what was I thinking when I made those arms?  They're TOO BIG!

And that's it.  My first attempts at making stuff from about 10 months ago.  Ideally I'd love to make some guys, package them with minicomics...  We'll see what the future holds...

YgnsIEt.png NlxfyVf.png

#2 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:17 PM

These are some awesome first attempts though, man!

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#3 rootstudio

rootstudio

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 04:32 AM

Thanks!  With every project I learned a little more and I was really surprised at the upswing in quality between the last two figures who were produced about a month apart.  I never did get around to casting them...  :unsure:

My set-up for my first projects was super-cheap/lo-fi.  We're talkin' a simple cup mold with no vents.  In the future I'm going to try making a two-part mold and a friend of mine has a vacuum chamber he's willing to let me use.   :D

YgnsIEt.png NlxfyVf.png

#4 elrojo

elrojo

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Hello, I collect a little bit of everything but I love the mini rubber figures and I love carving my own toys, many of my sculptures have not been released but there are some sweets outside

Posted 14 August 2016 - 01:27 PM

Hello , (my English is basic to write the following use google translator, I apologize for the erroes of language translation ) man have an excellent idea in hand , figures and mini comics :banana: , hope to see more of your work , best wishes on your project, regards

#5 rootstudio

rootstudio

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 06:19 PM

Thanks!  I've always been a comics guy but there's something that's just so exciting about making figures...

YgnsIEt.png NlxfyVf.png

#6 rootstudio

rootstudio

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 01:01 PM

THREAD NECROMANCY: ACTIVATE!!!

I've recently found myself with a little free time on my hands so I thought I'd dig up my mostly-unused box of Super Sculpey and see what I could slap together...

A couple of days of sculpting, scraping, mooshing and vigorously swearing later and we have...
KRAGGU Version 2.0~!!!
lU8oNKc.png

I've got quite a ways to go in terms of sculpting quality...  But I gotta say I'm pretty happy with how this turned out!

Matter o'fact I'm seriously thinking about casting this guy up...  And maybe creating a nemesis for him to swap fisticuffs with....  Hmmmmm...

YgnsIEt.png NlxfyVf.png

#7 bigazzhead

bigazzhead

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Interests:Mini Figure interests:
    Monster in my Pocket
    Megaman/Rockman
    Dragon Ball
    Dragon Quest
    Old Nintendo
    Gegege no Kitaro
    general monster keshi
    Ghostbusters
    Zombie related stuff
    and anything cool. (yeah I know pretty vague)

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:26 AM

Wow vet cool. I like him.

#8 rootstudio

rootstudio

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:22 AM

Thanks! I definitely want to try casting some guys.

Unfortunately I just realized I'm probably going to have to produce a 3.0 version of Kraggu because the pose
I sculpted him in is going to make him pretty much impossible to cast a 2-part mold around.

Also I'm not sure if I want to make him in resin or try my luck with rubber.

Oh well, live n'learn...  :notme:

Edited by rootstudio, 12 August 2017 - 06:25 AM.

YgnsIEt.png NlxfyVf.png

#9 elrojo

elrojo

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Interests:Hello, I collect a little bit of everything but I love the mini rubber figures and I love carving my own toys, many of my sculptures have not been released but there are some sweets outside

Posted 13 August 2017 - 04:42 PM

Man gave a great leap from the first version to the second, wow you advance with great steps, great work I hope to see more of your work and see that possible enemy, greetings

#10 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:29 PM

That dude is pretty sweet, man. Legit huge improvements from the previous model.

I look forward to the future progress!

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com