• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#26 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters minis!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:31 AM

I'd call it Bowl Brawlers or something like that.  Two factions that battle within one sewer system, often one toilet.  Could go in the "arena" direction like a wrestling toyline.

To clearly avoid that possible ambiguity, I'd just make it a GI Joe parody.

Joe Colon, Duke Dookie, Dumpestro maybe. 

Lil Scarlett Shart and Baroness Blumpkin 

Looking at 1982 Joe names, most of them kinda sound like crapping anyway...

Breaker, Clutch, Grunt, Grand Slam, Torpedo, Cutter, Deep Six, Ripcord, Roadblock, Avalanche, Blaster, Blocker -- jeez!

Also, I am reminded of this classic Spencer's poster.  Not a very clear image, but you get the gist.

Attached Files

Edited by steverotters, 04 July 2015 - 10:09 PM.

#27 derekdraws

derekdraws

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:27 AM

You bring up some good points, Steve, and there are certainly things I will keep in mind when rolling out this small series (having 4 figures: 2 green, 2 brown to set up "teams. Backstory paragraph. Variant figures. Etc). But ultimately, I am keeping this a small idea. Not because I don't believe in myself (I'm one of the lead designers on Adventure Time, you don't get there by aiming low) or want to stay indie for any sort of stree/internet cred, but because I need a hobby to offset the pretty enormous amount of stress involved in doing my day job and the freelance illustration work that often takes up a majority of my nights/weekends. If I get some good feedback on these after I actually get around to making them, I can revisit the idea of going big, but I really need a creative outlet thats main function is fun, not profit.

#28 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:55 AM

No problem, I wish  you the best!

Just to be clear on one thing though, I never said anything about making a profit.  ;)

I might run with the idea.  I was thinking about G.I. Flow as a G.I. Joe parody, and the fact that G.I. also stands for Gastrointestinal. 

Just found out there is some rapper called G.I. Flow. 

Maybe G.I. Trackers, like the G.I. Tract.

Or G.I. Trek.

G.I. Joe / Star Trek poop parodies.

:)

#29 derekdraws

derekdraws

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:10 PM

"Run with the idea"? That's not how this works. I think it's cool that you were excited enough to want to insert yourself into my idea and my creative process, and that you were "disappointed" when I made it clear that I don't want to be more ambitious with the project, but that doesn't mean you get to steal my IP.

#30 Jesse

Jesse

They should really get a breathalyzer on thi site

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts
  • Interests:Fistful of power, Universe of violence and random odds and ends...

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:20 PM

Just gona say this i think people should let Derek have this line his own way since his making the figs. I mean yeah sure throw few ideas but dont tell him what to do.
Its his line and im sure hes got all he needs backstory, name, etc. figured out or on the process without us interrupting or advicing all of it(especially without indie artist backround). Or running of with his ideas...

Also dude, keep the great work up the figs are looking pretty neat! :D

#31 derekdraws

derekdraws

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:16 PM

Thanks, Holier. I actually think one of the best things about forums (and one of the main reasons I started posting here) is the camaraderie and encouragement one gets when posting process pics of art/projects/ideas, so the suggestions and excitement was cool! But I certainly don't want to be constantly worrying about my ideas getting stolen whenever I post stuff. :/

#32 TinyPink

TinyPink

Vengeful Ghost of Bubba Ritter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1551 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:45 PM

Thanks, Holier. I actually think one of the best things about forums (and one of the main reasons I started posting here) is the camaraderie and encouragement one gets when posting process pics of art/projects/ideas, so the suggestions and excitement was cool! But I certainly don't want to be constantly worrying about my ideas getting stolen whenever I post stuff. :/

Speaking of, dude, I have this great idea for a possible IP, lemme run it by you...

Basically I'm thinking of a team of commandos comprised of feces.  Thinking of maybe calling the line 'The Turd Herd', whaddya think??

;)

Welcomed currency:  Rubber Uglies, rubber monsters, jigglers, vinyl monsters, Arco monsters, Imperial monsters, fish cans....

#33 derekdraws

derekdraws

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 02:52 PM

Nooooooooooooooo!

*shuts down thread*

*deletes internet*

#34 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:11 PM

With this attitude you won't be the next failed Moose Toy series!!

Also you are stepping on the toes of my IP. Poo Platoon!

#35 derekdraws

derekdraws

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:13 PM

If only Moose Toys would come knocking, I could retire tomorrow!

And please tell me you're joking about poo platoon! This is not my best day, Jared!

#36 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:14 PM

Just have worse ideas! Look at all the stuff I have posted, nobody wants to steal it. Hell I can't even give this shit away!

If only Moose Toys would come knocking, I could retire tomorrow!
And please tell me you're joking about poo platoon! This is not my best day, Jared!

Haha! Nah the poop army angle is all yours I'm over here doin shit with beetles and golems of various sorts.

Edited by redjarojam, 05 July 2015 - 03:15 PM.

#37 derekdraws

derekdraws

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:14 PM

Pfft... I just spent $50 on your stuff last week, dummy!

#38 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:17 PM

Pfft... I just spent $50 on your stuff last week, dummy!

Muahaha! I don't even make toys! It is all smoke and mirrors!

Fugazi!

#39 TinyPink

TinyPink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1551 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:29 PM

Thanks, guys, SIGH.....  Now I'll never get my original line, 'Guttural Buddies', off the ground!    Well, back to the drawing board.   :(

Red -- "Give this shit away" ?    Hi-Ohhhhhhhhh!

;)

Speaking of, get back at me about the Mighty Max set & other things.  I believe the "smoke and mirrors"!  Someone told me you just pull some generic rubber monsters from Chinese dollar store suppliers and see them for big bucks!  I've alerted the media!

Welcomed currency:  Rubber Uglies, rubber monsters, jigglers, vinyl monsters, Arco monsters, Imperial monsters, fish cans....

#40 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:11 PM

You guys are hilarious. 

Any one (male at least) who has ever played with clay has had this basic idea. 

Here is another example:

http://www.littlerub...howtopic=224463

Anyway, best of luck, once again. 

#41 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:46 PM

Now that I have had some time to think, I would be willing to License the idea to you for a nominal fee! But it will have to be presented as

"Redjarojam Presents: Poo Platoon, a poop soldier based toy line conceived by Redjarojam and licensed to Derekdraws"

#42 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 05 July 2015 - 04:58 PM

"Redjarojam Presents: Poo Platoon, a poop soldier based toy line conceived by Redjarojam and licensed to Derekdraws"

Hahaha!  I sent that name, no joke, as a suggestion to Derek a couple days ago.  Poo Platoon!  Oh no, IP, IP!  Hahaha!

Anyway, the real point is that we are all thinking along the same line and will have some of the same ideas. 

From what I have seen of your work, Derek could sketch the figures, and redjarofjam could sculpt them.  That would be a killer collab!

You can take or leave my marketing ideas, who cares.

All I have ever said is that I would like the opportunity to buy a kick ass toyline.  My suggestions are free to anyone. 

But, please, someone, anyone, run with this idea for real!

Edited by steverotters, 05 July 2015 - 05:00 PM.

#43 derekdraws

derekdraws

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:55 PM

Hey, I'd be down with a collab with RedJar in the future for sure, but I get the feeling that we're both sort of digging doing our own thing at the moment. Artists are weird that way, we love our own SHIIIIIIIIIIT.

#44 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:17 AM

I dig the concept. 

You work on Adventure Time? You might know my buddy John. I think he has since moved on from AT, but I believe he did a lot of background stuff the first couple of seasons. 

Also: Derek hit the nail on the head, about collaborations: Finding the right people to collaborate with can be a bit of a drag, especially when you're in a groove. It's why I typically work with the same four people over and over again. 

#45 derekdraws

derekdraws

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:44 AM

I dig the concept. 

You work on Adventure Time? You might know my buddy John. I think he has since moved on from AT, but I believe he did a lot of background stuff the first couple of seasons. 

Also: Derek hit the nail on the head, about collaborations: Finding the right people to collaborate with can be a bit of a drag, especially when you're in a groove. It's why I typically work with the same four people over and over again. 

Thanks!

I don't know John, but I came on in season 4 and was made lead background designer during season 6, so I don't know everyone that's passed through, that's for sure.

And yeah, collabs are HARD to get going and to maintain. I now only have one writer I really enjoy working with on my comics/animation pitches (after years of failed partnerships) and as for art...it's really hard for me to let go of the creative process halfway through. I like seeing things all the way through from concept to completion...almost especially on passion projects where there's no money involved. Cause the reward is the creation.

#46 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:47 AM

I'm one of the lead designers on Adventure Time, you don't get there by aiming low

Bro, you can't just drop this info so subtly! Me and my kiddo love the ever loving shit out of Adventure Time. What's it like working on the show?

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#47 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:54 AM

Bro, you can't just drop this info so subtly! Me and my kiddo love the ever loving shit out of Adventure Time. What's it like working on the show?

That drool on yo' lip, brah.

#48 TinyPink

TinyPink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1551 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:55 AM

Adventure Time?   Never heard of it.

I'll just leave this here:

;)

#49 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:15 AM

He works for Adventure Time! SWARM!

I have an awesome idea for a cartoon about poop based soldiers! I will let you make the toys for it. 

Edited by redjarojam, 06 July 2015 - 07:23 AM.

#50 derekdraws

derekdraws

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:02 AM

Yes, I work on Adventure Time, but don't let that raise your expectations on what you'll see from me in this thread...PLEASE! I love working on the show, it's great. Tons of talented people, tons of freedom to inject my own personal sensibilities into the show, and I get to draw cool backgrounds all day. Couldn't be cooler. Contrary to popular belief, working in animation is NOT fun and games, it's staring into a monitor for 8-10 hours a day drawing til my fingers go numb. I have to do 20-30 full black and white background designs a week, so it's pretty tough at times... and super creatively demanding/draining. Normally I wouldn't pull the "I work on Adventure Time" card, but good ole steverotters was seemingly putting my work ethic/creative dedication to question and I am a weak man with a frail artist's ego and had to be like, "Yo, bro...I know what I'm doing".

Redjarojam... I regret the day I ever met you. ;)

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com