24 replies to this topic

#1 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1853 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:33 AM

Hi fellow collectors,

I'd like to have a little more insight on a particular issue which I wasn't aware off untill I received another Jeerer Monkey earlier this week. My own figure had a plain colored face so I always thought this was the only way they'd look. But as we've seen before there is almost always a little shade difference or small issue to find when holding the same figs side by side. In this case I noticed a little variety in armor color which as most of you know isn't a very big issue in my opinion but I also noticed a more pinkish skin color on the face of this figure on the area around its nose. From the design point of view in which its nose plays a big role for this particular figure its for sure a common detail to place but since all the other figures out there seem to have a monotone face color (of course excluding the obvious ones like Killer Hound, Strong Hurricane and a few others) I was a bit surprised to see this small detail on its face especially since my original figure didn't show any signs of this detail at all.

So now my question is, as I don't expect both of them to be an exception in any case, which Jeerer Monkey figure do you have in your collection?

Does your figure show a monotone face without the other more pinkish color around the nose area or does it also have this two tone colored face.

Personally I think after seeing both side by side the little extra touch of the extra color being added gave the design of the figure a more explicit look because of the whole focus on the looks of this figure is mainly attracted by its nose.

Again don't think any of them is more rare or worth than the other just want to see/hear your thoughts about it and have a look whether this particular details has been ''nosiced'' before ;)

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#2 Hibbinator1000

Hibbinator1000

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

Mine doesn't seem to have the extra pink. But he is still awesome!
Hibbz

#3 ScreaminDemon

ScreaminDemon

Cyber Monster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts , Laser Beasts , Beastformers , Shadow Warriors , War Monsters and any other variations of Battle Beasts including Beast Saga. Transformer decoys.

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

Mine doesn't have the extra pink on his nose either, just one color on the face and nose.
Demon

#4 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:26 PM

Thanks for the replies guys!

At first I was thinking the figure had some marker on its face but looking at it more carefully and in detail its something that's been done within the factory for sure and I've seen a few pics of the Jeerer with the pinkish nose area as well so I'm sure its a legit piece and hoped to hear some other collectors have a figure just like this. For my new blog I'm working on a pretty detailled area concerning variants, factory errors, etc. and this is one of the issues I'd like to sort out before I can grade it and place it amongst a certain type of difference.  

These little details make collecting much more fun for me eventhough I know there's a huge general discussion about variants, shade differences, factory mistakes, errors and so on but I think its worth and fun to look into.

Might have learned my lesson after the Blue Bison but I still keep tracking down these strange or odd figs and keep looking at those little details which will bring some more info about a specific figure.

I'll have an interesting figure to discuss again soon but first I hope to receive some more ID confirmations about the Jeerer nose area.

There have to be a lot more out here who can check him wihtin their collection.

Thanks!

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#5 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Battle Beast minmates, Armorvors, Hot Sauce, Tea, Pearl Jam, Films, Camers, Animals, Chameleons and lizards

Posted 12 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

Mine is one solid color on the face and nose as well

#6 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 13 May 2013 - 12:30 AM

Hmmm so far that's not really the amount I had hoped for.

One color 3
Two color 0

Any others who can have a look?
Thanks!

UPDATE:
Finally had the time to take a shot of the difference I got confronted with last week;
8734480349_b2c9def5c6_c.jpg

As shown in the pic above there are some little differences visible as mentioned before:

- Left figure has a more Greenish armor while the Right figure has a more brown like armor on which the small colored details seem to show better. 

- Left figure has the so called 'single color' face while the figure on the Right is clearly showing a different color around the nose area.

The figure on the Left is the figure I had first and the Right one came in last week.

Like most of the replies here I always thought the figure I always had (Left) was the only known color but since the figure on the Right does not only have the colored nose area BUT ALSO a clearly other armor color I am quite confident the nose area color is a legit addition to the design. In case it would have the same colored armor it would've been serious point of doubt to me.

It looks like the Jeerer Monkey Hydra offered for sale lately is similar to the figure on the Left so in case anyone out here bought it from him I'd like to hear about it.

Looking forward to get some more replies and input here to clearify the difference here.
Thanks!

@JKaris: Tried to upload a picture directly but this didn't work so I uploaded it from my Flickr account, hope that's an issue that can be fixed. Thnx!

Attached Files

Edited by jkaris, 13 May 2013 - 05:10 PM.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#7 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

info update above

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#8 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:42 AM

Test

Attached File  8734480349_b2c9def5c6_c.jpg   216.05K   12 downloads

#9 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

TEST

Attached File  The Jeerer Issue.JPG   87.65K   8 downloads

Strange it seems to work in a new reply while it doesn't allow me to update it within the original reply with an edit as I got the same error:

Error This upload failed

Also I was automaticcaly logged out after this failure so there might be a connection between both somehow?

This topic is still acitve so please keep comming with the Jeerer's face color observations.

Thanks!

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#10 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 17 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

C'mon so far the replies have been pretty slow and don't think its a lot asked to have a quick look at your Jeerer monkey to see what color nose he has.

I expect at least a few more members who must have a Jeerer figure for sure so please have a look and let it know.

Thanks!

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#11 retroactive80z

retroactive80z

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1237 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, Fake Battle Beasts, Custom Battle beasts.
    BATTLE BEASTS ROCK AND SO DO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 17 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

I have had the same pink issues with the Pink on the ears of my Sky Bats aswell.

Plus the grey skin on the monkey fighters can be greenie grey or even have a tinge of red in them.

One of my jeer monkeys armour is actually a much lighter green then the other 4 lol.

#12 Toxoviper

Toxoviper

Toy Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1269 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:13 PM

Mine is one solid color from a MISB box.

The two tone one appears to have been painted.

#13 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:51 AM

Mine is one solid color from a MISB box.

The two tone one appears to have been painted.

You mean painted afterwards or in the factory?

I got this figure MIB and since its armor color is clearly different from the one I already had this additional Pink color looked like a factory addition to me.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#14 Toxoviper

Toxoviper

Toy Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1269 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:18 PM

You mean painted afterwards or in the factory?

I got this figure MIB and since its armor color is clearly different from the one I already had this additional Pink color looked like a factory addition to me.

Afterwards.

MIB as in still sealed by factory tape ?

The paint could have rubbed off on the plastic window when still wet then someone bought it opened it and repainted the nose.

I can't imagine the factory having two such distinctly diffrent colors to color the face. If its factory then it would be a facotory error when a worker ran out of one color and paint another color slopply ontop without painting over the other completly.

#15 Coelocanth

Coelocanth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:24 PM

IMO it's definitely a repaint. In the top right pic, you can see where paint might have flecked off previous to the touch-up.

#16 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 19 May 2013 - 01:52 PM

Afterwards.

MIB as in still sealed by factory tape ?

The paint could have rubbed off on the plastic window when still wet then someone bought it opened it and repainted the nose.

I can't imagine the factory having two such distinctly diffrent colors to color the face. If its factory then it would be a facotory error when a worker ran out of one color and paint another color slopply ontop without painting over the other completly.

Its MIB and not MISB so the box has been opened and the figure has been taken out.  

The paint issue on the noses of most LB figures (seahorn, puzzlecolor) even with MISB figures is a known issue so that could've certainly been the case here as well.

If I would've been sure about it this topic would've been unnecessary so I do have my doubts so its good to have some discussion going about it.

On one hand it looks as if it is somekind of maker trying to mimic the same color of the face to cover up the damage on the nose but on the other hand we all know the well detailled way of painting and most of the small issues (even factory missers) look pretty bad in such a close close up of the face in this particular case that it somehow feels like if it could've been a factory error. If it were a figure with the exact same armor color things would've been a little more easy but do to the different armor color and some references I heard about having the similar issue it might be an extra addition which was added for a short period of time or in a different run. Just contacted a connection in Japan who mentioned me about having a possible two tone faced Jeerer as well to see if I can get some pics up from there.

Keep the replies and your observations concerning your own figures comming!

For now the investigation is still going ;)  

Thanks as always

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#17 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:25 PM

You mentioned the different shades of armor, and considering the wear to the one on the left I'd say what you're seeing is an effect of aging, exposure, and general wear on the plastics changing the color. The MISB one still has crisp paint, while the one one the left has dulled and perhaps slightly changed the hue of the original paint.

I have noticed varying shades of armor on a number of figures that don't have any formally documented variants, and most of the time one of the figures is in less-than-ideal condition. So, maybe that's it? 

#18 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 28 May 2013 - 09:30 AM

You mentioned the different shades of armor, and considering the wear to the one on the left I'd say what you're seeing is an effect of aging, exposure, and general wear on the plastics changing the color. The MISB one still has crisp paint, while the one one the left has dulled and perhaps slightly changed the hue of the original paint.

I have noticed varying shades of armor on a number of figures that don't have any formally documented variants, and most of the time one of the figures is in less-than-ideal condition. So, maybe that's it? 

Thanks for the reply.

The wear on the figures is not as bad as it might look, detailled pics always show the tiny little details in a scary way. My only reason to look for another figure was the tiny tip of paint damage on the left figure. If aging or any kind of expore would've caused another armor color it wouldn't have been so consistent and even the inner parts of the arms are in the same color. To me the left figure seems to be the most documented color of this figure as that's the color you'd see most on pics out on the web.

Based on what I know the armor color is not that interesting because as you mentioned there are a lot of shade differences known for many figures and marking them as a variant is not something I'd encourage either. So I'm not looking to see if this is a variant but whether the nose color is an actuall addition that's been done in the facory for a certain run (waiting for some references from Japan) or if its done by a previous owner to cover a similar kind of paint damage to the nose as my first figure (left) had to deal with.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#19 JonnyPac

JonnyPac

The beast collector in the boonies...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1110 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:45 AM

Mine is solid. My guess is a repaint on a damaged nose. That is a common spot for wear. But who knows!

#20 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:42 AM

Mine is solid. My guess is a repaint on a damaged nose. That is a common spot for wear. But who knows!

Pun intended?

#21 JonnyPac

JonnyPac

The beast collector in the boonies...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1110 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 05:31 PM

yuk yuk

#22 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

Some time has passed concerning this issue I launched but today I received a box from Japan which I was waiting for to conclude the research on the two colored face Jeerer Monkey.

As some of you might know I'm pretty critical when it comes to customs, variants, repro's and other stuff that can be of any trouble or creating doubts when it comes to the original line so also in this case I'd liked to come up with some decent facts to be able to find out wether we'd be dealing with a repainted/repaired figure as was opted by some of the others out here before in this topic or if it might be a ''variant' that's not so commonly known.

To give a short sum up so far the more Green Armor like Jeerer Monkey figure with the one face color has been known by most of the boardmembers so we can assume this is the common figure we most know. Due to that it was clear there was some doubt on the two tone colored face of the Jeerer monky I found, which was a feeling I shared as I also felt like it could have been a repainted nose done with a type of marker. Only strange thing here which was the reason for me to look into it a little bit more was the fact that this figure also clearly showed a different type of armor as shown in the pics which are shared above.  

So as mentioned before today a 3rd Jeerer Monkey figure arrived from Japan one which would have to be an exact 'copy' of the one with the two colored face I had meaning not only the same color nose but also the other shade of armor. And as I hoped for it turned out to be the exact same figure. In my opinion the chance of finding two repainted figures done in the exact same way with the exact same armor from two totaly different origins which are different than the commonly known figure is showing that this for sure is a genuine figure we've not known, or at least the color issue hasn't been noticed as such before. Of course in the end they'd all originate from Japan, due to it being one of the last 12 figs, but in this case the fact of finding these figures not together so excluding the option of one and the same colector having used a marker repainting the noses is an important element.

Attached File  Jeerer color issue result 1.JPG   63.1K   20 downloadsAttached File  Jeerer color issue result 2.JPG   53.01K   19 downloadsAttached File  Jeerer color issue result 3.JPG   57.48K   18 downloads

It looks like it is fair to say now that we can also add a shade difference to the Jeerer Monkey now because I don't see it different than a difference in shade of a pink or purple like Killer Carp or any similar figure as it goes way to far to make this a variant or even worse a rare variant because the differences are not that big but its clear they come from a different production run.

That's the conclussion for me and I hope the facts mentioned and the effort I took to get this issue clearified is appreciated as well hoping to exclude any doubts concerning the repainted marker option because I'm sure there would've been a more closer color they'd have found in that case ;)

ADDITION: I'll soon have another issue/figure I'd like to share as there are still a lot of mysteries to reveal!

Edited by GJNL, 12 July 2013 - 02:35 PM.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#23 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:24 PM

So I was just reading through the oldest threads on the BB/LB section here and came across this one where roland13 posted the same observations about Monkey Fighter back in 2004:

"Here is a pic of the Monkey Fighter Variants, one of them has a skin color painted face and the other has a white color painted face. Also the green armours are different in color." 

http://www.littlerub...=15032&p=126992

Unfortunately his comparison photo has long since expired, but I thought this was interesting. :)

#24 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1853 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:37 PM

So I was just reading through the oldest threads on the BB/LB section here and came across this one where roland13 posted the same observations about Monkey Fighter back in 2004:

"Here is a pic of the Monkey Fighter Variants, one of them has a skin color painted face and the other has a white color painted face. Also the green armours are different in color." 

http://www.littlerub...=15032&p=126992

Unfortunately his comparison photo has long since expired, but I thought this was interesting. :)

Good job! I've never bumped into this archived reply. Its to bad the pic as well as Roland aren't around anymore but it looks like this might be the same scenario indeed. always wondered why it was never noticed so far but as always this shows someone was on the right track already quite a while ago ;)

Not sure if he had more figs and references to compare to or that he just happened to have both of the 'variants' for me it was crucial to find an exact similar figure of the one with the two tone colored face to exclude any possibility of aging and or repair on the figure itself. Its always good to keep an eye out on issues or remarkable facts you find because the moment were able to archive all this the LRG library of Battle Beasts will keep growing.

Thanks for mentioning this Bachamn!

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#25 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:22 PM

Its always good to keep an eye out on issues or remarkable facts you find because the moment were able to archive all this the LRG library of Battle Beasts will keep growing.

Thanks for mentioning this Bachamn!

Couldn't agree more; that's why I created this thread: http://www.littlerub...079#entry523393

Once I add a bunch more links and get everything organized I'm going to request that the thread be stickied so people can easily find information like this. It's not the only topic I saw discussed repeatedly over the past 9 years ;)

Edited by bachamn, 12 August 2013 - 12:23 PM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com