9 replies to this topic

#1 billjankin

billjankin

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 07:07 PM

I am just strating to get into customizing my BB's. What is the best type of paint to use? Also do I have to pu ton a primer coat of paint and then start. Will some one who has made a couple custom's help me out. Thanks a ton.

Ryan
[SIZE=1][COLOR=green]BillJankin

Wet Behind The Ears

• Guests

Posted 20 April 2005 - 03:46 AM

I've always used Citadel Paints for my customs. They're usually paints used for doing those small Warhammer or other rpg figs, but they take to plastic pretty well. A lot of comic shops and hobby shops seem to carry it. I imagine you could always use a primer first for what you're painting, but I always tend to just paint directly on whatever it is I'm recoloting, though I've heard applying a primer helps keep the colors you add pretty consistent. But so far I've never had to use it on Battle Beasts or He-Man customs.

Hope that helps!

#3 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Interests:love to collect all sorts of stuff mainly star wars(new & old), motu (new & old), glyos, beastformers, godzilla, and some 80's cartoons and tv show characters. love making customs too!

Posted 20 April 2005 - 04:34 AM

i use testors (most people on here hate it) but they are pretty cheap for a basic acrylic pack. i also use model masters & tamiya brand paints usually found and hobby/model shops. stick with acrylics flat or semi gloss finishes, gloss paint is sometimes too shiny on these little guys.

have fun!

=)
AIN'T NO PARTY LIKE A BATTLE BEASTS PARTY CAUSE A BATTLE BEAST PARTY DON'T STOP!!!

VISIT MY CUSTOMS GALLERY>> http://www.littlerub...showtopic=17082

#4 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 05:51 AM

Citadel paints are too $$$ and they are basically the exact same acrylics as what you buy at Hobby Lobby/Michael's/Walmart. I use a little of everything...I use Acrylics of: Americana, Apple Barrel, Basics, Ceramcoat, Crayola Portfolio, & FolkArt...

Never use enamel paint.

I do use a primer of white if I am wanting a bright intense color...if it is a dark or shade of a color, I don't...the drawback to a base coat of primer is that you loose tiny details if you add too many coats.

Make sure you use the real tiny pointed brushes for details and brace you hands while you paint...you can get more accurate brush strokes.

I seal mine with Krylon Matte spray finish, you can use gloss, however, it sometimes makes them too shiney and then they don't look right. Ultra light misting coats from 12" away...allow each coat to throughly dry BEFORE applying another coat.

Good Luck! :D

TGB

Edited by THEGODBEAST, 20 April 2005 - 05:54 AM.

#5 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Interests:love to collect all sorts of stuff mainly star wars(new & old), motu (new & old), glyos, beastformers, godzilla, and some 80's cartoons and tv show characters. love making customs too!

Posted 20 April 2005 - 06:56 AM

i'm not too fond of the apple barrel paints mainly b/c they tend to dry too flat for my tastes. but they do have some sweet colors to choose from!

and when choosing brushes use the real hair brushes opposed to synthetic, they last longer and paint applies alot smoother too.

=)
AIN'T NO PARTY LIKE A BATTLE BEASTS PARTY CAUSE A BATTLE BEAST PARTY DON'T STOP!!!

#6 billjankin

billjankin

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:25 PM

Thanks guys! What a helpful bunch of battle beast loving homeys!

Thanks again! May the customs begin! I gonna get straight crazy with these little beasts!
[SIZE=1][COLOR=green]BillJankin

#7 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Battle Beast minmates, Armorvors, Hot Sauce, Tea, Pearl Jam, Films, Camers, Animals, Chameleons and lizards

Posted 23 April 2005 - 07:39 PM

I would also reccomend Apple Barrel, Folk Art or Delta Ceramcoat acrylic paints. They are just in the craft section of any Walmart. I use all three, although sometimes I think the Delta Ceramcoat is too thick.

Eric

#8 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 08:46 PM

I would also reccomend Apple Barrel, Folk Art or Delta Ceramcoat acrylic paints. They are just in the craft section of any Walmart. I use all three, although sometimes I think the Delta Ceramcoat is too thick.

Eric

You can always water it down or even add an acrylic gloss medium to the paint. :D

I NEVER use anything besides "real hair brushes." With brushes...the more $, usually the better the brush. Also, ALWAYS rinse your brushes immediately, dry them to a point and stand them up on the wood end...NEVER leave them sitting in the rinse cup...NEVER! If you take care of your brushes they will last forever. :D

TGB

#9 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 23 April 2005 - 09:53 PM

yup yup!

=)

#10 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 04:13 AM

bump for the new/upcoming customizers!

=)

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com