Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

What are the differences between M.U.S.C.L.E. and Kinkeshi?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:46 PM

Okay, so...i feel kinda dumb asking this question, but i just kinda started in on collecting these. I looked around on the board and through all the M.U.S.C.L.E. links i know about to find a straight breakdown of the differences, but all i can come up with is that the colors used were different and that Kinkeshi (all of them or just some?) were made out of an eraser-like rubber.

The reason i ask is that i have maybe three flesh-colored figures in my collection that seem noticeably softer and more bendy than their neighbors. I wouldn't call them eraser-like, but they're definitely different. And i'm not aware of any ways in which i would have come across any Kinkeshi. Most of my M.U.S.C.L.E. finds are at flea markets and places like that, i don't buy eBay lots or anything.

So i guess what i'm asking is, does the softer and more bendy consistency mean Kinkeshi, or were there noticeable variations in the plastics used for the US release?
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#2 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:04 AM

Muscles = Contain the YSNT stamp and are a more solid plastic and are the true flesh color (or other colors)

Kinkeshi = Contain the YSNT stamp and are a more softer eraser rubber and are a lighter flesh color than muscles and come in basic colors of (Flesh, Red, Blue, Yellow, and Green) They also come in other less common colors and a variety of plastics depending on the year of production.

Bootlegs, Cosmix, Exogini, etc... = Are a completely different shade of flesh from muscles or kinkeshi, made from many different types of plastics hard and soft, many different colors, are often times smaller than the original figures, and are usually stamped China, Tawain ect.... May contain the YSNT stamp, but is usually shallow, or only partly visible. Almost all bootlegs have defects or are inferior in detail.

You probably have bootlegs, since Kinkeshi are usually only available in Japan, or members here who buy them from Japan.

Hope that helps.

Posted Image

#3 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:51 AM

Hmm...they might be bootlegs, but i don't know. The stamp and sculpt quality on them are pretty good, and the flesh color is the same. Several of the flea market vendors i deal with are long-time toy collectors just selling off extra bits of their collection, i wouldn't say it's too unreasonable that they're Kinkeshi. I don't know though, probably just gonna have to chalk this one up to "mystery" until i at some point get doubles of the figures for comparison.
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#4 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 09 January 2008 - 10:27 AM

I've heard of people having very well made bootlegs. Is the Flesh color shade the same as muscles flesh color? If so then I doubt they are kinkeshi. Which figures are they? I guess the only way for you to really know is to get some actual keshis. :D Trust me you would know immediately.

Posted Image

#5 Apricot

Apricot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:painting, music, film, cream cheese

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:13 AM

the kinkeshi weren't even decent eraser material :D

i found a website awhile back (in japanese) with a guy documenting his attempt to erase different things with several kinkeshi

they all performed horribly!

#6 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 09 January 2008 - 11:46 AM

the kinkeshi weren't even decent eraser material :D

i found a website awhile back (in japanese) with a guy documenting his attempt to erase different things with several kinkeshi

they all performed horribly!

Hm, very interesting! We were just discussing this in one of the toy identification threads yesterday -- that is, whether Japanese keshi were actually meant to be used as erasers. The above seems to indicate that they were not.

We were actually discussing the Deiner monsters and something tells me that wouldn't make good erasers either. I'll have to experiment tonite.

And as far as your figures, Scumdogg, is there any way you can post a picture? That would definitely help us identify them, I'm sure.
Posted Image

#7 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 12:59 PM

The figures are 174 and 186. I first noticed their softness when i realized that Ashuraman was missing a couple fingers. :D
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#8 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 07:55 PM

i have some bootlegs that are pretty much spot on, have the stamp and everything. except they are a lighter shade and a little softer.

the one in back is a kinnikuman you can tell the texture differences
Posted Image

#9 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:09 PM

Eric, those are re-issues, not bootlegs.

#10 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 08:57 PM

and now i know... and knowing is half the battle...

#11 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:22 PM

Eric, on closer inspection of my checklists, these two figures came from you. Is it possible i got some of your reissues then? :D
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#12 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 04:40 PM

Eric, on closer inspection of my checklists, these two figures came from you. Is it possible i got some of your reissues then? :sweat:

i don't think so... i have these seperated. and that sucks i sent you one with missing fingers, i didnt even notice. i try to put those aside too. sorry about that. if you want to trade for it back lemme know. as for re-issues's, maybe, i bought a lot on ebay a few months ago and is was a mix of G1 m.u.s.c.l.e.'s, kinnikuman, and re-issues's... even a little neclace one too.

little guy on left.
Posted Image

post a pic if you got one tho, i wanna see.

Edited by Ericnilla, 10 January 2008 - 04:42 PM.

#13 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:59 PM

Don't sweat the missing fingers, it's not a big deal. I mean, it took me this long to even notice. :sweat:

And those ones in the picture seem a bit lighter in color than any of them i have. I don't think a picture would help much on my end, they're identical in color and detail to all my other M.U.S.C.L.E.s. A couple of them just seem slightly softer. Might just be me, i don't know. :o
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com