• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Fuzz

Fuzz

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy collecting obscure toy lines from the 80s, as well as some of the newer stuff like NECA's Predator line.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:29 AM

I just acquired the last two mordles I needed for a complete set of 10. I was looking at the backs and noticed the ID numbers under the copyright. Some have single digits like 1 or 2, and some have a number followed by a letter such as 4A, 10B, etc. Does anyone know what these stand for? I'm assuming they represent different waves. The color of my two orange mordles differs slightly. One is lighter and has a 1 on its back. The other is darker and has a 4B on its back. I was thinking CBS/Ideal may have used different materials in different waves or maybe other countries.

The reason I ask is I want to make sure the orange mordle I got is legit.  The seller sent me two mordles - one was the tall orange mordle with skinny legs and the other is the blue, backwards feet mordle. The blue one is definitely an original, but I'm worried about the orange guy because of the color. It almost seems brand new, which is kind of odd. The seller seemed like a genuinely nice person. They were extremely happy they were helping someone finish a full set of 10. If the orange is fake, they may not have realized it.

Any info is much appreciated. Thanks.

#2 waaaaghlord

waaaaghlord

C.UT.I.E. Owners Club Founder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:11 AM

This is purely 'best guess' but the different numbers might be to indicate either different tools or different positions within a gang tool so that they could be retired or blocked off when they started to fail. With the two tones of orange is it possible that they started out the same colour and one has faded more over time? I've got various Mini Boglins that are the same colour but no longer the same tone due to fading or chemical breakdown at different rates over the intervening 20 years.

soundwave wrote "don't insult my bananna!!!!!!!!!"

#3 Fuzz

Fuzz

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy collecting obscure toy lines from the 80s, as well as some of the newer stuff like NECA's Predator line.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

That was another reason I thought about, as well. The lighter one looks like it got a lot more play time. There's a lot of paint wear. Maybe it sat out in the sun one too many times. The seller said they bought the lot of six RBT toys and four mordles were stuffed in the mouths of Gravelguts and Rockadile. I don't see why there would be three genuine and one fake mordle if it was just a lot of toys from a garage sale.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mordles, rock & bugs & things

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com