#1 Calavera

Calavera

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 10:09 PM

Hi, gang!

Sorry if this isn’t the appropriate place for this post, but I figured many of you are experienced in this area, and I’m in serious need of advice. So today I purchased a couple of high-end beasts from a private seller, and I didn’t take into account that I will have to pay import tax/customs duties, etc. To be honest, I’m not new to buying toys, but 100% of my buying has been done on eBay or in person. This is my first time buying from a private seller where I’m responsible for my own customs duties.

My questions are:

1)Do I have to pay customs duties/taxes for toys shipped from Netherlands?
2)If I am responsible for additional import fees, which ones?
3)How, when, and where do I pay for these fees? I’ve found some information on Cbp.gov (pay.gov), but am not sure where to find the proper forms.
4) Is it true that import duties/taxes are roughly 5% of the value of the items being imported?

My background is:

1) Receiving package of laser beasts (two shield battlers) from Netherlands
2)I live in the United States of America (California)
3)Package value is roughly $800

Thank you all so much for the help! I should have done my research earlier! :)

Edited by Calavera, 30 July 2022 - 10:12 PM.

#2 108KickBack

108KickBack

Beast-Former Gatherer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:Laser Beasts, Battle Beasts,Anything Beastformer, Insects,Bugs and arachnids.

Posted 31 July 2022 - 05:35 AM

It dont matter where it comes from in my experience.The value of the package determines if you pay or not.(sometimes you get lucky and it bypasses custom fees even with high amount)But assuming you bought from beastformers?! Is probally DHL? And they charge everything they can.I hate DHL.

2.im not sure what america charges in percent for import but they will make you pay before you can pick up the item.either online or at post office(atleast in canada ,im sure the same for usa).
IF its DHL they have an option to pay on their site or in person when they drop off package.

My guess is you will be charged but you never know.Example i have had $2000 package no import fees through EMS. But had to pay fees on a $250package that same month from DHL..so you never know....

Good luck.,,fees are crap, just another way for govt to dig into your pockets.

#3 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 31 July 2022 - 08:08 AM

The United States does not charge import duties or taxes on purchases like yours.

#4 Calavera

Calavera

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 11:28 AM

It dont matter where it comes from in my experience.The value of the package determines if you pay or not.(sometimes you get lucky and it bypasses custom fees even with high amount)But assuming you bought from beastformers?! Is probally DHL? And they charge everything they can.I hate DHL.
2.im not sure what america charges in percent for import but they will make you pay before you can pick up the item.either online or at post office(atleast in canada ,im sure the same for usa).
IF its DHL they have an option to pay on their site or in person when they drop off package.
My guess is you will be charged but you never know.Example i have had $2000 package no import fees through EMS. But had to pay fees on a $250package that same month from DHL..so you never know....
Good luck.,,fees are crap, just another way for govt to dig into your pockets.

Thanks for the detailed advice, KB! Once I get the tracking information, I’ll follow up with DHL, assuming they are the carrier! I really appreciate the help! :)

The United States does not charge import duties or taxes on purchases like yours.

This sounds like awesome news! Thanks so much for letting me know! :)

#5 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 12:34 PM

No problem! It’s understandable if you don’t regularly order stuff internationally but US collectors are quite lucky when it comes to importing.

#6 BadLarry

BadLarry

Jake All Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:Robot & monster toys, Lego, MUSCLE, etc.

Posted 31 July 2022 - 04:58 PM

Just make sure the seller labels the customs forms properly. The US does not impose import duties on toys. If the package is labeled as toys, you will be OK.

I have an acquaintance who had a perfect storm combination of a seller who labelled the package as something like "figurines" instead of toys, and DHL as a shipper. DHL decided that whatever the seller wrote didn't qualify as toys, and therefore it required duties. They wouldn't listen to reason and they held the package hostage until the duties were paid - despite the US government not requiring them.

Thank you

#7 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 05:05 PM

Wild, I've heard similar stories in Canada of all kinds of flavors of stupid, but never that.

#8 Calavera

Calavera

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 July 2022 - 06:24 PM

Just make sure the seller labels the customs forms properly. The US does not impose import duties on toys. If the package is labeled as toys, you will be OK.

I have an acquaintance who had a perfect storm combination of a seller who labelled the package as something like "figurines" instead of toys, and DHL as a shipper. DHL decided that whatever the seller wrote didn't qualify as toys, and therefore it required duties. They wouldn't listen to reason and they held the package hostage until the duties were paid - despite the US government not requiring them.

Thank you

This is all great news! Thanks so much for the feedback! :)

#9 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 17 August 2022 - 09:30 AM

$800 is the cap before you get hit for any type of import fees in the U.S. That is probably why he valued the package at $800. I know for manufactured goods, if you are over $800 you pay a certain percentage. I had to pay import fees on a couple shipments of Rise of the Beasts figures.

Not sure about used toys though.

Side note: If you are shipping outside the US, and you mark the value lower for customs to save the end user some fees, be aware that if you have to file a lost/damaged package claim, you will only get the value you put on the customs form.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com