34 replies to this topic

#1 misterdroid

misterdroid

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 06:36 PM

I am converting my old "first custom" post into this... my Official "Project Massive" Custom Kinnikuman Thread! There will be tons of photos and some running commentary.
Basically Project Massive started out as a way to utilize a few faded figures. The first figure was this one:
Posted Image
He was originally a very badly faded orange fig. One of the worst I've seen as he went from orange at his feet to a nearly translucent white at his head. It's not nearly as cool as it sounds.
The paint job isn't that great, especially compared to the later figs. I am going to cast a resin of a mini Meat I have to replace him. It's more in scale AND has the panda shirt.
Next I knocked out a Terryman... because I like him. I seem to have misplaced a solo photo of him, I will edit one in later (I have him with other figures later).

The next figure was Kinnikuman Soldier. Mostly because I have a ton of him and he seemed fun.
Posted Image

He came out well enough that I immediately vowed to paint an entire set of MUSCLES.
Posted Image

Painting an entire set of MUSCLE figures is sort of overwhelming, so I decided to do tag teams. First up - 4d Killers!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Next I wanted to do Neptune Man and Big the Budo. Sadly, the US MUSCLE set doesn't have a Budo (which is nearly criminal). I didn't want to paint up any of my keshi (I have questions about paint adherence). This only left making a custom Budo, which in turn torpedoes the idea of a painted Muscle set.
Posted Image

For my Big the Budo, I cut the head of of a US release Neptune King #56 and shaved away his neck and shoulder area. I then cast a resin copy of a Budo head from a Japanese figure. The next step was using Magic-Sculp to resculpt his upper torso, add fins to his shoulders, blend in the head and add the flaps to his hood. I used the alternate colors for Neptune Man and Budo that they sport in the Galactic wrestling game for PS2.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Oh, I also built a custom ring. I wanted a more in scale ring, with a nice edge for partners and a springy mat made from actual canvas AND japanese style turnbuckle pads. Not the little plastic atrocities wrestling figure seem to be cursed with. It was going to be three stories (watch the anime), but logistics have kept it to one level... for now.
Posted Image
Posted Image

So, with my original plan derailed by Budo, I have now decided to basically do painted versions of important kinnikuman characters. Essentially, I come home at night, watch g1 Kinnikuman, and paint the main characters in whatever story arc happens to be going on. That is of course if said character is floating around my double bins. I am missing a couple of the 7 Devils, atlantis, because I don't have a double, and Stecasse King because once again- not released in USA. I will have to recast a few Japanese figures to fill out my set (Brocken, Nachiguron, Stan Cross etc.). Plus I also want to modify some more characters to better reflect the anime (example, Robin losing his mask, kneeling and hiding his face) and make few from scratch (the 2nd announcer, the gangster guy etc).

So, with no more rambling, here are the rest of the figures. Enjoy! More coming soon!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by misterdroid, 30 July 2009 - 10:48 PM.

#2 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:27 PM

Awesome! Great job.

#3 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 09:18 PM

I love it :( The colors stand out and he is poseable to boot (which is a must for me). Very cool.

Thats one thing ill always appreciate about the Muscle / Kinniku line: the sheer variety of sculpts. You cant beat it.
Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#4 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:20 AM

Very cool! Make sure you enter you stuff in the art contests too!

#5 Adamantiumwulf

Adamantiumwulf

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1900 posts
  • Interests:Sega Master System and Segas other Consoles and games., Legos
    Transformers
    Baseball cards
    various action figures

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:19 AM

Cool custom one of my favorite toons.
"I've always believed that a lot of the trouble in the world would disappear if we were talking to each other instead of about each other." Ronald Regan - April 11, 1984

#6 Blitzwulf

Blitzwulf

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:32 PM

Great job! Paint looks good, and the chain/ head, and articulation is awesome. Keep it up, and be sure to enter some of the custom contests, you are sure to do well ;)

#7 misterdroid

misterdroid

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback, guys.

#8 misterdroid

misterdroid

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:56 PM

New content bump!

#9 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:12 AM

Proof that M.U.S.C.L.E.s bring out the best in people. :rolleyes: Great paint jobs man. Do you have the PS2 Galactic Wrestling game? If not you should find a copy. It has a capsule toy collection section with all the Kinnikuman sculpts in it. All are painted. It could really help with those more obscure characters who otherwise don't have easy to find color pallets.

Posted Image

#10 Lee

Lee

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:37 AM

Wow, these are incredible. Good luck doing the entirely custom ones.

#11 meatcutta78

meatcutta78

Im a M.U.S.C.L.E head.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2479 posts
  • Interests:I'm all about mono mini sculpts! , I also like long walks on the beach and wearing G-Strings in the privacy of my home.

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:33 AM

Great Job!!!!!!!
I may have a project for you. :)
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#12 misterdroid

misterdroid

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:14 PM

Great Job!!!!!!!
I may have a project for you. :D

Just let me know what you are thinking... I may be game.

#13 8BitIcyman

8BitIcyman

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 02:56 PM

Nice customs, I especially like the 4D killers.

#14 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:31 PM

Not only are your paint jobs exceptional but even more impressive in my opinion is that very clean ring.

Its like a Muscle ring that would be sold at IKEA.
Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#15 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:49 PM

Awesome!

:D
Posted Image

#16 misterdroid

misterdroid

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:43 PM

Big content update tonight! Many pics, not so much on the commentary because I am very tired. Enjoy!

First up, some important characters, Sunshine and Ashuraman. I like the all "angry face" Ashura, but I can't figure out why he is wearing gloves. There is a point when he has several gloved hands but at that point he has an arm from Atlantis and an arm from Mountain... so it's not this guy. Hmm.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Since the first batch had Junkman, and I did Sunshine and Ashuraman, I HAD to finish the set with Ninja (Golden Mask arc)
Posted Image
Posted Image

I also wanted an update on Kinnikuman, so I did him in his caped outfit.
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Announcer is vital to my Action Playset...
Posted Image

Next are some random filler characters...

Curry Cook
Posted Image
I decided the dish on his head is Muter Paneer.
Posted Image

Oilman. This one was a request from my friend 8bitIcyman. I tried to have fun with the simple figure.
Posted Image
Posted Image

This guy was also a suggestion from 8bitIcyman. I have no idea what his name is.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Benkiman. I like the glistening poo.
Posted Image

I wanted to throw in a couple well known mid-level characters...

Mammothman
Posted Image
Posted Image

And fan favorite Snigator turtle form aka Tortle! He's my favorite from this batch.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Since my first round of figures had Kinnikuman Soldier, I decided to round out this batch with the rest of the 5 Fated Princes.
Kinnikuman Zebra
Posted Image
Posted Image

Kinnikuman Big Body
Posted Image
Posted Image

Kinnikuman Mariposa
Posted Image
Posted Image

Kinnikuman Super Phoenix
Posted Image
Posted Image

And although he has been shown before, I am including him again for presentations sake
Kinnikuman Soldier
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks for wading through the pics. Round 3 coming soon.

Edited by misterdroid, 04 August 2009 - 07:46 PM.

#17 8BitIcyman

8BitIcyman

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:51 PM

Yet again, awesome customs.
The Tortle turned out super nice.

#18 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 04 August 2009 - 09:01 PM

wowzers. those are some of the best paint apps i've ever seen. i ask that you consider doing a painting tutorial in the customs subforum. i'd love to learn more about how you achieve such clean value changes. the back of caped kinnikuman's head (i know, boring spot, but still) looks so smooth as the flesh tone darkens to show shadow and depth. also, thanks for doing mammothman justice. he's one of my faves and your version looks awesome.

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#19 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:59 PM

:)

Hats off to you. These are absolutely beautiful! I keep coming back & am in disbelief.

Luke

#20 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:44 AM

Yeah they are all just grand! Very well done! They all look great, but I really like Snigator (turtle) and the 5 princes as a group! Hunting man is the guy you couldn't name by the way.

Posted Image

#21 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:24 AM

wowzers. those are some of the best paint apps i've ever seen. i ask that you consider doing a painting tutorial in the customs subforum. i'd love to learn more about how you achieve such clean value changes.

I couldn't agree more.

As I said before, just amazing. :)

#22 saab900lover

saab900lover

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:12 AM

They are awesome!!! What type of paints did you use? Did you use Citadel washes? I have a ton of these I'd like to customize as well. Maybe you could post some tips or a tutorial? :rolleyes:

#23 misterdroid

misterdroid

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:44 PM

They are awesome!!! What type of paints did you use? Did you use Citadel washes? I have a ton of these I'd like to customize as well. Maybe you could post some tips or a tutorial? :rolleyes:

I have been talked into doing a tutorial. I have a few projects that come first, but it is definitely coming. To answer your question, no, I don't use washes. Also no dry brushing. Everything is painted in Vallejo paints using a technique I developed based on painting methods common to armor modelling.

#24 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:11 PM

Yeah you know... I had mentioned at another time that we should have a handful of discussion threads specific to different techniques where people can swap ideas and what not.
Painting
weathering
sealing
sculpting
whatever just separate sections to put what knowledge you have out there & people can toss around ideas on customizing & painting & the like.
Of course this would be in addition to a tutorial on a specific technique.
Just thought I'd put it out there again
Just my 2¢

Thanks,

Luke

#25 ChristianG

ChristianG

Delete me

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 745 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:39 PM

:rolleyes: Amazing. There are some amazingly talented people out there. You're one of them.

I take my hat off to you. Keep up the good work.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com