1261 replies to this topic

#576 therealdub

therealdub

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:02 AM

Good to know. I guess they need wave 1 back in stock for my carrying case set, because I haven't been charged yet. My pre-order date was 3/16, so I would hope I'm pretty high on the list of getting my order filled when they come in.

I think Adam Pawlus is a member here (Adam16bit?); maybe he can speak to what's happening, stockwise, over at his employer.

#577 ARMPIT

ARMPIT

pew pew pew pew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

Received my 12 pack from tru.com, wave 1. They look fantastic.

#578 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

Just got a notice from EE that my Wave Two 12-pack has been shipped! I'll be waiting very impatiently for them to arrive and post pics once they do.

Also, EE has a pic of it up. Looks like now they are showing one of the figures through a clear window a la the MIMP 12-packs:

Posted Image

Edited by fkro6784, 15 June 2012 - 04:19 PM.

14460229430_bb17eb3c18_n.jpg

#579 James

James

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

Received my 12 pack from tru.com, wave 1. They look fantastic.

But how do they smell?

#580 ARMPIT

ARMPIT

pew pew pew pew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:27 PM

But how do they smell?

like rotting flesh and pop culture parody.

#581 jason76basin

jason76basin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

like rotting flesh and pop culture parody.

funny

#582 jason76basin

jason76basin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:36 AM

safe to assume nobody has found the wave 2 in stores yet. what happened to toys r us, target, & kmart having these......geez

#583 keywolf

keywolf

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 11:39 PM

Got the wave 2 12-pack from EE, which got here from the US crazy fast! Here's what was in it:

10 Zombies:

Mash-Up Mike
Stu B You
Jump-Shot Rot
Grim Trekker
Macho Mangler
Maximus Cadaverous
Teddy Terror
Andrew Agony
Dr Outbreak
Cleopatra

and 2 survivors:

Gator Jones
Captain Payback

I'd be interested to know if any of this is random. I would guess not as there's pictures of these 12 on the box. What this means is that to get the whole wave, I presumably only need 2 of the 4 3-packs this time?

If they're not random, then that would mean the exclusives are:

3-packs: Mr Jangles, Flesh-Eating Phil, Blazin Basel, Buck Wilde
12 Pack: Jump-Shot Rot, Maximus Cadaverous, Teddy Terror, Dr Outbreak

All in all, the 12 pack was a great buy, but man I gotta get me a Mr Jangles!! Zombie chimp lab assistant, what's not to love?

#584 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 03:37 AM

Got the wave 2 12-pack from EE, which got here from the US crazy fast! Here's what was in it:

10 Zombies:

Mash-Up Mike
Stu B You
Jump-Shot Rot
Grim Trekker
Macho Mangler
Maximus Cadaverous
Teddy Terror
Andrew Agony
Dr Outbreak
Cleopatra

and 2 survivors:

Gator Jones
Captain Payback

I'd be interested to know if any of this is random. I would guess not as there's pictures of these 12 on the box. What this means is that to get the whole wave, I presumably only need 2 of the 4 3-packs this time?

If they're not random, then that would mean the exclusives are:

3-packs: Mr Jangles, Flesh-Eating Phil, Blazin Basel, Buck Wilde
12 Pack: Jump-Shot Rot, Maximus Cadaverous, Teddy Terror, Dr Outbreak

All in all, the 12 pack was a great buy, but man I gotta get me a Mr Jangles!! Zombie chimp lab assistant, what's not to love?

Well here is a pic from bigazzhead posted in a different forum here. Just compare his with yours and see what is missing.

Attached Files

#585 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 20 June 2012 - 05:38 AM

Thanks for the details, keywolf. Mine was shipped last week but is still in transit. I'm assuming my set won't be any different, but will report back once it arrives.

#586 bigazzhead

bigazzhead

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Interests:Mini Figure interests:
    Monster in my Pocket
    Megaman/Rockman
    Dragon Ball
    Dragon Quest
    Old Nintendo
    Gegege no Kitaro
    general monster keshi
    Ghostbusters
    Zombie related stuff
    and anything cool. (yeah I know pretty vague)

Posted 20 June 2012 - 07:39 AM

Yeah, I'm supposed to get my 12 pack at the end of this week. Will also report on what's inside.

#587 jason76basin

jason76basin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 08:06 AM

i had to break down and order from entertainment earth, which sucks because they seem to be quite higher than toys r us that stocks them. i'll have an extra 12pack of wave 2 up for grabs if anybody wants it for cost plus shipping.

#588 Jackson

Jackson

Mondo Brawndo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:57 PM

I'll take that extra 12 pack :)

#589 jason76basin

jason76basin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

ok. if/when it shows up it's yours amigo.

#590 James

James

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:44 PM

Already series 2 single figures have been listed on eBay. Look at this, nearly $10 for a single figure:

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4ab8fbde13

^This guy sure didn't waste any time after his case from Entertainment Earth arrived.

Edited by James, 21 June 2012 - 03:44 PM.

#591 seekingxar

seekingxar

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:07 PM

If this line never reaches any stores it's all but dead. I would never pay ebay or entertainment earth prices for these. It already sucks you get so many doubles.

#592 James

James

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

I actually like how they've created tiers of rarity. Without all the doubles, the rares wouldn't be possible.

I'm thinking they will rerelease all 3 waves of Zombies around November.

But I agree, I too have my doubts about the viability of the line. Something tells me we will never see SLUG Monsters or SLUG Aliens. Everyone in the forums loves these, but we all represent a very tiny percentage of the toy buying demographic. For this line to succeed parents need to buy them for their kids, and just the normal retail price (not even looking at EE or eBay) on these is already a bit high. If I was a parent there's no way I'm spending $2 for a little plastic minifigure that in all honesty should probably be selling in gumball machines for 50 cents. I did the calculations earlier that adjusted for inflation these cost twice as much as MUSCLE did.

I think the overall economy and the smell issue will pose a problem too. I just don't see many parents shelling out this kind of money for these little minifigures that smell like chlorine gas.

#593 iwao

iwao

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1481 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:02 PM

I actually like how they've created tiers of rarity. Without all the doubles, the rares wouldn't be possible.

But I agree, I too have my doubts about the viability of the line. Something tells me we will never see SLUG Monsters or SLUG Aliens. Everyone in the forums loves these, but we all represent a very tiny percentage of the toy buying demographic. For this line to succeed parents need to buy them for their kids, and just the normal retail price (not even looking at EE or eBay) on these is already a bit high. If I was a parent there's no way I'm spending $2 for a little plastic minifigure that in all honesty should probably be selling in gumball machines for 50 cents. I did the calculations earlier that adjusted for inflation these cost twice as much as MUSCLE did.

I think the overall economy and the smell issue will pose a problem too. I just don't see many parents shelling out this kind of money for these little minifigures that smell like chlorine gas.

I still don't notice much of a smell at all, not even when I first opened mine. I think they are well above gumball machine quality. I wish there were more toys at the retail price of SLUGs considering the prices on blind bags of single Lego or Playmobile figures, single Star Wars figures, Fighter Pods, etc. All toys are pricey for parents now. I think I paid $7.99 for a 3 pack of Annoying Orange mini-figures.

This is how I'm collecting SLUGs:
My 8 year-old gets his own 12 pack.
My 2 year-old gets the commons from the 3 packs.
Selfish daddy gets the 3 pack exclusives and a 12 pack.

Even if I didn't have the kids collecting with me, I think it would be a cool line to army build. 8 doubles per wave really isn't bad. If packs were completely random, I would expect about 8 doubles/triples before getting all 16 of each wave.

#594 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

I disagree.

I think the sign of a dead toy line is seeing them pack on shelves and NOT moving. Hitting clearance quick and getting pushed aside. These aren't doing that. The two places that had the singles in my area both sold out TWICE very quickly. Everyone on the board who finds them at a toys r us has the same experience. As long as they sell out they are doing just fine. Yes distribution sucks but they sell out really fast when they drop. I don't see the price as any kind of issue either. Yeah they cost double what muscles did but so does everything else. When i was a kid a candy bar was a quarter. Now they cost damn near a buck.

I'll be worried about the toy line when i see them stacked up in clearance bins 50% off and not moving at all.

And they smell like lime soda and mercury. I like it O_O

#595 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 08:35 PM

My series 2 twelve pack arrived today! The figures in it are the same as keywolf listed above. Another awesome set. Cleopatra is my personal favorite of this bunch. I did a blog post including some pics of all of them here:

http://minifigcollection.blogspot.com/2012/06/slug-zombies-series-2.html

Posted Image

#596 James

James

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

I still don't notice much of a smell at all, not even when I first opened mine. I think they are well above gumball machine quality. I wish there were more toys at the retail price of SLUGs considering the prices on blind bags of single Lego or Playmobile figures, single Star Wars figures, Fighter Pods, etc. All toys are pricey for parents now. I think I paid $7.99 for a 3 pack of Annoying Orange mini-figures.

A lego minifigure is multiple connecting parts, comes with accessories, and has more detail.

Slug Zombies are just one piece of molded plastic.

A lot of cool toys have been distributed in gumball machines over the years. I'm not saying they're 25 cent gumball machine quality, but a 50 cent or 75 cent.

I disagree.

I think the sign of a dead toy line is seeing them pack on shelves and NOT moving. Hitting clearance quick and getting pushed aside. These aren't doing that. The two places that had the singles in my area both sold out TWICE very quickly. Everyone on the board who finds them at a toys r us has the same experience. As long as they sell out they are doing just fine. Yes distribution sucks but they sell out really fast when they drop. I don't see the price as any kind of issue either. Yeah they cost double what muscles did but so does everything else. When i was a kid a candy bar was a quarter. Now they cost damn near a buck.

I'll be worried about the toy line when i see them stacked up in clearance bins 50% off and not moving at all.

And they smell like lime soda and mercury. I like it O_O

Mercury is neurotoxic and one of the most hazardous substances known to science, so them smelling like mercury should be enough to make people stay away from them, especially parents with small children.

Yes, the tiny pockets where they get distributed sell out quickly, but let's see what happens when there's more than 1 or 2 stores in any given 100 mile radius that has them.

But maybe you are right, maybe they will succeed. Squinkies have been a success haven't they? It just seems like squinkies have more "kid appeal" whereas with SLUG Zombies it seems like they're marketing to collectors a little more than they're marketing to kids. Compare it to MUSCLE or MIMP, those lines were meant as primarily kids toys, while with SLUG Zombies (and OMFG too) there seems to be some kind of artsy/hipster self-consciousness like "we are doing something nostaligic for the fans of MUSCLE and MIMP." It's a nice idea, the figures look cool, but if you don't have moms buying them for their kids, you don't have a successful toyline.

Who knows, it will be interesting to see what happens with the line.

And fkro, cool picture. It's neat getting to see all the series 2 figures.

Edited by James, 21 June 2012 - 10:20 PM.

#597 keywolf

keywolf

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

Nice review and pics, fkro. Cleo is awesome, but my favourite from the 12 pack has gotta be Dr Outbreak, the mad scientist zombie!

As for specific influences, I'm still puzzling over Mash-Up Mike... He looks like Mr T for sure, and apparently dislikes 'fools', but is it possible he's sposed to be a punk rocker (likes mousse, dislikes long hair and country music), or even Travis Bickle (previous job: Taxi Driver)?? Or perhaps he's a blend of all these mohawk-sporters, hence 'mash-up'? Yeah, I've been thinking about this too much.

Being a Brit, I assumed Teddy Terror is a Teddy Boy- hence the suit, and previous job as a hooligan, which was the media stereotype of these guys. And Macho Mangler- isn't he Hulk Hogan?

#598 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
  • Interests:MIMP
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

This and that - mostly that!

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

Hey guys, just got my first Series 1 Zombies standard set (I'm UK and I know you guys have S2 now). Absolutely lovely these little green figures so want to know if anyone can help me out with the S1 exclusives I'm missing. I will set up a 'needs' thread, but if any of you guys think you can help me bag these exclusives then please PM me. Cheers.

#599 Mr. T

Mr. T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

He looks like Mr T for sure, and apparently dislikes 'fools'

My ears are burning. No, my ears are really burning. I wanted to see inside so I lit a Q-Tip. :)

Anyways, it definitely looks like it was mostly influenced by Mr. T. There looks to be some other mashups in the line. Captain Payback looks to like a Rambo and Snake Plissken hybrid.

Posted Image

#600 jason76basin

jason76basin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 12:01 PM

i'm not being a dick, but why is it you think they would rerelease the line around november? i have seen/heard nothing anywhere that they'd even entertain that thought. just curious why you think they would rerelease the entire first few series later in the year.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com